Author Topic: 11 July 2020 Blackburn 1 Albion 1  (Read 39377 times)

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: July 12, 2020, 03:04:34 AM »
Agreed.

Bartley's ineptitude could cost us promotion.

Hmmm.. Not defending Bartley but his goal line clearance saved us from losing.  Just saying.
Also if we scored one or two of those chances, which I think my granny could have, we probably wouldnt be having this conversation.
Look at how many games we have drawn this year and one more goal would have given us 3 points.
I think I'd be questioning the players up front before blaming one player for a misfiring TEAM performance.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #326 on: July 12, 2020, 03:47:00 AM »
Hmmm.. Not defending Bartley but his goal line clearance saved us from losing.  Just saying.
Also if we scored one or two of those chances, which I think my granny could have, we probably wouldnt be having this conversation.
Look at how many games we have drawn this year and one more goal would have given us 3 points.
I think I'd be questioning the players up front before blaming one player for a misfiring TEAM performance.

Not so sure, 1 nil is enough to win the game yesterday if Hegazi if left centre back for their goal as opposed to Calamity Kyle.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #327 on: July 12, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
Not so sure, 1 nil is enough to win the game yesterday if Hegazi if left centre back for their goal as opposed to Calamity Kyle.

Absolutely. Bartley is a disaster.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

wimbledon baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #328 on: July 12, 2020, 09:50:38 AM »
Worrying lack of shape after the subs for the last 20 mins. We completely lost control of midfield and started hoofing it forward with no pace up front. They gambled with their 4 subs and it paid off.

There was no need to change tactics just needed similar players to slot into same roles. Absolutely have to beat Fulham.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #329 on: July 12, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
Slow start got into the game half time came at thr wrong time for us. We did ok after the break and needed the second goal and we were on top until we made the changes.

Grosicki although had wasted some good crossing chances was causing havoc and should have stayed on for me. If he wanted to bring diangana on he should have took off either sawyers or krov and switched formation.

Austin was tiring but was still running about but still had time left. Robinson coming on ruined shape and we only looked like losing at this point. Dont know why he didn't play Robinson up top instead of HRK

Added pressure on ourselves for the next one. However we play first for once which might make brentford slip up yet. Just aim for 3 wins and it doesnt matter about anybody else

Agree with ALL of this and yes he should have kept Grosicki on. I'm usually totally behind Slaven's decisions but yesterday the subbing was just plain wrong and extremely costly.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #330 on: July 12, 2020, 09:54:34 AM »
Worrying lack of shape after the subs for the last 20 mins. We completely lost control of midfield and started hoofing it forward with no pace up front. They gambled with their 4 subs and it paid off.

There was no need to change tactics just needed similar players to slot into same roles. Absolutely have to beat Fulham.

We need nine point in my opinion. Everyone else is hungry.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #331 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »

I get that, but his poor defending at 0-1 cost us a goal.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #332 on: July 12, 2020, 10:23:37 AM »
We need nine point in my opinion. Everyone else is hungry.
We do not need 9 points we only need 7 mathematically

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2020, 10:42:05 AM »
We do not need 9 points we only need 7 mathematically

Agreed, but I'm not talking maths, I'm talking attitude.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
I don't think Bartley was *that* at fault for the goal personally.  Townsend is caught out of position so the ball down the line meant Bartley had to track it.  Blackburn player takes a decent touch and has the legs on Bartley, but Bartley keeps on the inside - just.  All the while this was going on Townsend, Krov and Sawyers are just jogging back watching it.

The ball is just rolled into the space, Townsend should have been looking to cut that out but wasn't there.  Blackburn had 2 players completely unmarked, the goal scorer Sawyers left, and the other player should have been Krov's or Townsend's.  You could even argue Ajayi should have been out to cover that area.  Essentially, due to Townsend being out of position we were a man down in defence.  Couple that with no tracking at all from Sawyer's and Krov meant we were totally exposed.  How often do you see 2 players unmarked inside the box they look that unless it's a team chasing the game and caught on the break?  Take a look...

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
I don't think Bartley was *that* at fault for the goal personally.  Townsend is caught out of position so the ball down the line meant Bartley had to track it.  Blackburn player takes a decent touch and has the legs on Bartley, but Bartley keeps on the inside - just.  All the while this was going on Townsend, Krov and Sawyers are just jogging back watching it.

The ball is just rolled into the space, Townsend should have been looking to cut that out but wasn't there.  Blackburn had 2 players completely unmarked, the goal scorer Sawyers left, and the other player should have been Krov's or Townsend's.  You could even argue Ajayi should have been out to cover that area.  Essentially, due to Townsend being out of position we were a man down in defence.  Couple that with no tracking at all from Sawyer's and Krov meant we were totally exposed.  How often do you see 2 players unmarked inside the box they look that unless it's a team chasing the game and caught on the break?  Take a look...

Bartley should've fouled him before he got into the penalty area. Naive defending.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #336 on: July 12, 2020, 12:43:53 PM »

As someone who has played centre-back since I was 11, I believe that Bartley is to blame to a large extent. Yes, Townsend sold himself trying to intercept the pass, but Bartley, as the covering centre-back, should have swept Townsend's error up easily - it should have been routine. He then got outpaced and misjudged the Blackburn's player run, enabling him to get an uncontested ball into the goalscorer. Really poor defending. 
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »

Bartley should've fouled him before he got into the penalty area. Naive defending.

I agree, he wasn't on a booking, it was the obvious thing to do when you know we've been caught on the break. He either overestimated his own pace or underestimated their players, he completely misjudged it. Whilst Bartley does come in for some harsh criticism at times Hegazi and Ajayi are the superior pairing and should play the rest of the games.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »
Like I said, I don't think he was *that* much to blame, it's being talked about like he was entirely at fault.  The ball down the line was a good one so I'm not sure how he could cut that pass out and there's not much he can do about a player running more quickly than he him. 

He could have stayed closer or as Atomic says, took one for the team, but there's no reason at all for us to let them have 2 players unmarked in the box. 

Sawyers is the one who didn't track his man, and in that picture there, just as the blackburn player is taking the shot, he's slowing to a stop - he should be sprinting flat out to get back even if just for the rebound.  I'd go mental at my 5 a side team mates if they were that lazy.

If I had to proportion blame, Townsend would get the most for being out of position AND not tracking back, then Sawyers, then Bartley.  Krov, no idea, because he didn't even attempt to track at all.  it was a crazy goal to concede, I just think it's unfair to pin the blame on one defender when the real reason we conceded was someone being unmarked 12 yards out.

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »
Kanu, Harper, Townsend and Bartley shouldn’t be anywhere near a starting place again this season.
100%

I would rather have Zohore than Kanu who's stealing wages. Why not try Robinson up front, cant be any worse?
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2020, 01:55:43 PM »
100%

I would rather have Zohore than Kanu who's stealing wages. Why not try Robinson up front, cant be any worse?

Agreed.  I don't think I've seen such an ineffectual performance as HRK's.  I think he controlled the ball once, tried to cross it and it hit the defender, I can't remember any other contribution other than that.  It's made even more astounding by how much attacking flair we have on the pitch with him. 

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
All these discussions about who was to blame for a particular goal conceded, underline the point we shouldn't be relying on winning games 1-0.  If a defence can keep a clean sheet that's great, but as a team we should be creating at least a two goal margin, in case such a defensive error occurs (whoever is to blame).
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2020, 05:11:33 PM »
All these discussions about who was to blame for a particular goal conceded, underline the point we shouldn't be relying on winning games 1-0.  If a defence can keep a clean sheet that's great, but as a team we should be creating at least a two goal margin, in case such a defensive error occurs (whoever is to blame).
With the opportunities we had we easily could have had a 2/3 goal margin. creating the opportunities isn't the issue and has not been all season. It's getting it in the net.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #343 on: July 12, 2020, 05:46:50 PM »
Sawyers and Harper are similar types and neither is going to give you great pace.  Sawyers does have positional sense whereas Harper needs to go back to school in league 1 under a demanding manager.  Townsend can't stop anyone turning across his right foot.   Diangana gives us 8 / 10 one week and 1 / 10 the next.  He's not the type of player that Brentford would shell out £20M for.

The problem is that we are weak from the subs bench.  It wasn't really apparent before the lockdown break because the first choice team could go for 80 minutes or so but as soon as Livermore departs the field  there is no one to put in a tackle.  Taking both Livermore and Krovinovic out of the midfield betrays a lack of understanding of Championship football. 

Perhaps we should sound out Paul Cook of Wigan in case Bilic bolts???
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »
With the opportunities we had we easily could have had a 2/3 goal margin. creating the opportunities isn't the issue and has not been all season. It's getting it in the net.

Correct. We should have been home and dry then the debate about who was at fault for their goal would be totally irrelevant.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2020, 08:39:05 PM »
Leeds won 1 nil away today. We failed to win one nil away yesterday. Chances get missed. Nothing wrong with questioning the shocking defending for the equaliser.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
Leeds won 1 nil away today. We failed to win one nil away yesterday. Chances get missed. Nothing wrong with questioning the shocking defending for the equaliser.

No there isn’t, you’re right.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2020, 09:41:38 PM »
Yet we are the second highest scorers in the league behind Brentford by 4 goals.
We've also got the 3rd best defence so I'm puzzled what the problem of cure is.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2020, 10:06:39 PM »
Yet we are the second highest scorers in the league behind Brentford by 4 goals.
We've also got the 3rd best defence so I'm puzzled what the problem of cure is.
the issue is draws, 9 of our 15 draws have been 1-1. while we score a higher number of goals, in terms off chances our conversion rate hasn't been great. That brings in our defense who despite not conceding many, concede consistently enough for our lack of chance conversions to be a problem.

id suggest:-

either a CB or GK who talks to better command the line, several times we have had issues due to lack of communication especially at set pieces. cut the silly little mistakes and we'd have more clean sheets, Bartley is ok at commanding and speaking but isn't a great player by himself, Ajayi and Hegazi are better technically but rarely talk. Johnstone is decent but is also infamously quiet for a keeper and loathes to come off his line, which means defenders don't know if he's coming for a ball or not. For me, it's easy to see why he did so well at Villa when Terry was leading their defense.

the other is a striker, that's hard for us as our striker almost plays like a 2nd CAM roaming deep and wide to create space for others and is not a straight forward Striker. Robinson could play this but I think he's too lightweight to do what Austin and HRK have done all season. It's thankless wetwork 80% of the time to get the ball into crossing areas or make space for the other attackers. Annoyingly Rondon would've been perfect for Billic.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:09:02 PM by Hunnington Baggie »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #349 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:58 AM »
Agree with large parts of the forum who have analysed the draw very well.

I am frustrated that we’ve now placed all of the pressure onto tomorrow night.

It was a game we should have won, we had enough chances to put the game behind Blackburn by half time.

Bilić has earned plenty of plaudits for his subs this season but they cost us on Saturday. We were chasing the game and surrendered the midfield. Poor Sawyers was doing the job of three men. Totally conceded the midfield battle and almost lost the game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom