Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 670650 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Slaven Bilic
« Reply #950 on: June 26, 2020, 11:01:53 PM »
Whatever you say about Billic, at least he can't be accused of not trying to change things, when its not working. He tried just about all attacking options today, aside from Austin.
I can think of managers who wouldn't have made any subs until after 70 minutes.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #951 on: June 26, 2020, 11:02:16 PM »
As you saw tonight we were far far better with HRK off and Krovinovic on.  I don't know what Bilic is doing?  Both HRK and Zohore were poor but at least the latter hit the bar.  By playing with a midfield 3 we disrupted their passing game and looked much better.  We are playing a striker for the sake of it.  The False 9 option is not as far fetched as you seem to think.  It's like picking a rubbish Spinner in a Test Match on a green top just because he's a Spinner instead of picking another Seamer who's more skilled.
let's face it we haven't got a decent striker on our books unless we give Tulloc a run out.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #952 on: June 26, 2020, 11:02:37 PM »
He has to change ideas and tactics, and stop being intransigent.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #953 on: June 26, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »
let's face it we haven't got a decent striker on our books unless we give Tulloc a run out.

Hes not good enough either, seen him a few times.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #954 on: June 26, 2020, 11:06:09 PM »
I posted the below in the 20th of Jan this year

Right then

I’m not sold on him.....not anti him, but like on any subject I try and be fair

The keeper is atrocious ....how can billic and the management team not see that ?

O’Shea ...came on when Bartley got injured(because Hegazi had made an issue) he played well, his reward was bombed out the squad next match, hegazi started

Barnsley away....that day we tried Krov, pereira Barry and sawyers out wide at different stages during the game.....he left Edwards and Phillips as unused subs

Today....after setting up 451 and you would assume that we trained mainly with this all week, the left winger goes off after a couple of mins
Do you
A) replace like for like because you have a fast left winger available
B) send on a striker who despite getting v lucky and scoring twice looks woefully short and scared off the ball?

If I thought about it I could write many many more.....he worries me.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #955 on: June 26, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »

Hes not good enough either, seen him a few times.

only striker banging them in at the moment is Morton on loan at Northampton  ;D
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #956 on: June 26, 2020, 11:15:40 PM »
A nice man.Does that make him a god?We need someone who is a "bully" and make the players sit up, take notice, and do the job to which they were employed to do.A Hair dryer approach BEFORE the game. NO favourites (spelling).

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #957 on: June 26, 2020, 11:46:18 PM »
Has to fall on his sword.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #958 on: June 26, 2020, 11:50:34 PM »
Has to fall on his sword.

Behave mate. We made that mistake last season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #959 on: June 26, 2020, 11:53:37 PM »
Never really replaced jrod and Gayle and can see why Bilic was desperate to try and hold on to Rodriguez. No real strike force to speak of which is coming home to roost.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #960 on: June 27, 2020, 01:12:31 AM »
It is truly an amazing achievement to get us where we are with those strikers.

Never rated HRK, Austin should have been a loan and the timid Zohore, laughing as he came off the pitch tonight, is just a shockingly bad player with no evident attributes at all other than he remembers to breathe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:11:10 PM by BalisPen »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #961 on: June 27, 2020, 02:35:00 AM »
It's a myth we have a squad that is too good or far better than  anybody 3lse in the league. Our keeper is poor and hasnt really approved however seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

Defensively were good at this level across all positions a lot of the goals we have conceded are more down to the gk than. The defensive unit. Midfield we are pretty well stocked and possibly have too many options. Up front we have nothing. Hrk has hit a career best which is 10 or whatever it is isn't really setting the world alright (this is probably the first time in his career he has been given 20+ games to lead the line and not be a winger or sub. Austin came in but largely has disappointed besides blues game. Zohore the less said the better

However we should still be competing at the top and we are. .y concern is billic doesnt really know his best team and when plan a isn't working he just changes personnel not the system. We ain't scored for 4 games and really needed something today and he didn't even go 2 up top and throw Austin on.

This is the first time I really would criticize the man.
O Albion we love you

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #962 on: June 27, 2020, 07:36:34 AM »
Before the blues game Bilic made a rallying call for 'exceptional performances' (think he was talking team performances) to make sure we get promoted this year. We clearly haven't had anything like even a pretty good performance from the first 2 games back.
Maybe it's best to make sure you do the basics and get the team shape and confidence back first ?
Great/exceptional team performances in any sport tend to come from everyone knowing their jobs, knowing the plan and then executing in a way that gets the confidence going....at the moment we look like a bunch of disjointed individuals who are not relaxed or confident in what they are doing.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #963 on: June 27, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »
Bilic has addressed our poor defensive record - no doubt. Brentford beat us but Johnstone didn't have much to do outside of that. He's turned around poor form earlier in the season and I believe in him, he'll do it again.

As much as I like Furlong i think O'Shea should come back - he was part of that defence turning it around but also i think the right side needs addressing. Phillips has not done enough.

He needs to go back to the 433 that was working so well. Diangana needs to start on the right of the 3 pronged attack now fit and needs a few games to get his mojo back - he shown glimpses yesterday. Hopefully Grosicki is back soon.

I think we need to start with Austin - he can put chances away and is a great finisher as he's proven. He has 1 goal every 134 minutes for us - he deserves a chance and HRK is bang out of form. If not Austin then Robinson.

We just need to go back to what was working pre-covid with a few tweaks in attack.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #964 on: June 27, 2020, 09:00:25 AM »
Bilic has addressed our poor defensive record - no doubt. Brentford beat us but Johnstone didn't have much to do outside of that. He's turned around poor form earlier in the season and I believe in him, he'll do it again.

As much as I like Furlong i think O'Shea should come back - he was part of that defence turning it around but also i think the right side needs addressing. Phillips has not done enough.

He needs to go back to the 433 that was working so well. Diangana needs to start on the right of the 3 pronged attack now fit and needs a few games to get his mojo back - he shown glimpses yesterday. Hopefully Grosicki is back soon.

I think we need to start with Austin - he can put chances away and is a great finisher as he's proven. He has 1 goal every 134 minutes for us - he deserves a chance and HRK is bang out of form. If not Austin then Robinson.

We just need to go back to what was working pre-covid with a few tweaks in attack.

I disagree. Ok we’ve not conceded as many recently, but we’ve not looked any better at the back when teams have attacked us. So I don’t think anything has changed, and it’s likely over a longer period our problems at the back will be clear again.

Even saying he turned around poor form is questionable, he stopped a horrific slide for a month but now we seem to be back in it, and the squad is too good to never have 3/4 game spells of good results in this division.

He may get us over the line, we still have a great chance and if we win Wednesday and Sunday things look better again, improving further if Brentford and Fulham drop some points. Longer term he isn’t inspiring me though and if we fail there’s no defending him.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #965 on: June 27, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »
I disagree. Ok we’ve not conceded as many recently, but we’ve not looked any better at the back when teams have attacked us. So I don’t think anything has changed, and it’s likely over a longer period our problems at the back will be clear again.

Even saying he turned around poor form is questionable, he stopped a horrific slide for a month but now we seem to be back in it, and the squad is too good to never have 3/4 game spells of good results in this division.

He may get us over the line, we still have a great chance and if we win Wednesday and Sunday things look better again, improving further if Brentford and Fulham drop some points. Longer term he isn’t inspiring me though and if we fail there’s no defending him.

Bilic would be a huge concern for me in the Premier League. If he sets us up the way he is doing we will get absolutely obliterated by a number of teams. Newly promoted clubs cannot go and try and out football Premier League teams with the abundance of quality those clubs have.

Wolves and Sheff Utd have done it right, both set up in a way to concede possession and then play off that. You have to be more aware of the opposition.

Bilic doesnt play that way. If he tries to do out play Man City I'm not watching that match I'll peep at the score through my fingers at full time.

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #966 on: June 27, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
Bilic has brought in good players (I acknowledge Ajayi and Furlong but Bilic is otherwise our chief scout) and at times brought great football. I don’t believe we can have asked for a stronger manager last summer. I still thank my lucky stars we didn’t get Alex Neil - if we had please remember no Pereira no Diangana and in all likelihood no top 2 position at this stage.

Bilic made a mistake yesterday with his starting line up and with his substitutions. He knows he got it wrong, we know he got it wrong and I expect (some) of those senior players from the starting line up know they let him down yesterday too.

I think some of the reactions have been over the top, as in my opinion the decisions made by Bilic in games this season have meant he’s gained way more points than he’s lost. I also believe it was good work in gelling this squad so soon at the beginning of the season. I also care about Albion’s reputation and appreciate what Bilic has done to repair the reputation of Albion (maybe I shouldn’t care so much about this but I do and I’m grateful Bilic took the job).

If we don’t hit the top two I’m not blaming Bilic. He and the club rebuilt massively imo  and if you disagree then 1- fair enough this is a forum and 2- I ask you to look at our squad for the first preseason game in the Summer.

Bilic needs to make some brave decisions now. I hope the management team consider a formation that encourages goals and a line up that tells poor performing players that if you don’t hit the standard you are out.

I am still 70% confident we will make the top two. To those who have been especially critical of yesterdays performance, whilst I understand the sentiment I would also say that if Brentford are that good do remember they only just beat us - we are still a very good team that is perfectly capable of winning our remaining games.

To those who doubt Bilic in the premiership well we need to get there first and frankly I would love to see Bilic manage this team in the prem. I think we’d surprise a lot of people including many of my fellow fans.

As a fan, considering our ‘form’ I would new ideas in our formation (2 up front, or maybe none - Phillips as CF- considering our actual strikers can’t score), a refresh in the midfield (Pereira and Diangana wide maybe with Krov starting in the middle) and I think this could help find a new way to surprise teams that have now worked us out.

It’s up to Bilic to be brave on this and I’m backing him. Feel free to pick holes in this but it’s how I’m feeling after yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:24:58 PM by letmereadposts »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #967 on: June 27, 2020, 11:05:42 PM »

Bilic would be a huge concern for me in the Premier League. If he sets us up the way he is doing we will get absolutely obliterated by a number of teams. Newly promoted clubs cannot go and try and out football Premier League teams with the abundance of quality those clubs have.

Wolves and Sheff Utd have done it right, both set up in a way to concede possession and then play off that. You have to be more aware of the opposition.

Bilic doesnt play that way. If he tries to do out play Man City I'm not watching that match I'll peep at the score through my fingers at full time.

Irrelevant - this squad would change massively if we go up, so he wouldn’t be setting up this team this way

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #968 on: June 27, 2020, 11:49:00 PM »
What worries me is the lack of chances created in final third in the last four league games, haven't looked like scoring in any of them bar Zohore shot.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #969 on: June 28, 2020, 08:12:15 AM »
I wish people would stop banging on about the games before lock down which we didn't score in. Those games count for nothing now. We are effectively now playing in a mini tournament with no intense pre season. That Swansea game was three and a half months ago. It's completely different circumstances we are playing under now and with different prep. The way I look at these opening two games is the blues game we should of won but our passing was off in the final third and we looked leggy. First game back with it also being a Derby not easy then we travelled to the best side in the league who are high on confidence after beating Fulham last week that's without mentioning that only Brentford and Man City are the only clubs in the country who seem to of hit the ground running post lock down. We will get there... Just

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #970 on: June 28, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »
I wish people would stop banging on about the games before lock down which we didn't score in. Those games count for nothing now. We are effectively now playing in a mini tournament with no intense pre season. That Swansea game was three and a half months ago. It's completely different circumstances we are playing under now and with different prep. The way I look at these opening two games is the blues game we should of won but our passing was off in the final third and we looked leggy. First game back with it also being a Derby not easy then we travelled to the best side in the league who are high on confidence after beating Fulham last week that's without mentioning that only Brentford and Man City are the only clubs in the country who seem to of hit the ground running post lock down. We will get there... Just

Of course they matter. Otherwise we’d be in the bottom 6.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #971 on: June 28, 2020, 11:34:16 AM »
I think Bilic has done a great job so far. In my view the squad is nowhere near as good as people think. Yes we are blessed with plenty of wide attacking options but the spine of the side is very weak. Johnstone Bartley Livermore and HRK have been the mainstays in the side and all are average at best.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #972 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
I think Bilic has done a great job so far. In my view the squad is nowhere near as good as people think. Yes we are blessed with plenty of wide attacking options but the spine of the side is very weak. Johnstone Bartley Livermore and HRK have been the mainstays in the side and all are average at best.

I agree to an extent.

Bartley has has a good season, completely revitalised to last year under Moore. We've only lost one game this season with him playing, should not have been dropped. Bilic managed to get a tune out of HRK, got him playing way above his ability but that's has run its course. Livermore, Johnstone are average championship players on big wages they don't deserve.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #973 on: June 28, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »
I agree to an extent.

Bartley has has a good season, completely revitalised to last year under Moore. We've only lost one game this season with him playing.

You are talking rubbish and that's not me being rude its fact.

We have lost 3 league games with Bartley starting

Leeds
Stoke
Cardiff

And one when he came on as sub for the injured Hegazi at 0-0

Wigan

If you want to be taken seriously, I suggest your facts straight.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #974 on: June 28, 2020, 01:48:36 PM »

You are talking rubbish and that's not me being rude its fact.

We have lost 3 league games with Bartley starting

Leeds
Stoke
Cardiff

And one when he came on as sub for the injured Hegazi at 0-0

Wigan

If you want to be taken seriously, I suggest your facts straight.
That’s a bit angry.
I get the sentiment but , we have lost almost every match Hegazi has started , so even just on ratios Bartley comes out on top.
I also think he is much better this year than last....and would add that Semi always looks better next to Kyle (or at least less panicked)
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..