Author Topic: OUT ON LOAN THREAD  (Read 261767 times)

DeanoBaggie, NJS, enzo maresca, brianwba and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: OUT ON LOAN THREAD
« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
http://www.suttoncoldfieldobserver.co.uk/Albion-midfielder-heading-Scunthorpe-loan/story-24527528-detail/story.html

West Bromwich Albion midfielder Liam O'Neil is set for a loan spell at Scunthorpe United, Sky Sports News is reporting.

The 21 year-old is highly-rated by Albion, and impressed during their Capital One Cup win over Hull City earlier this term.

He has made just two appearances this season - both in the League Cup - and could be sent on loan to allow him to gain first team experience.

He made three substitute appearances in the Premier League last season.

Scunthorpe are currently fourth from bottom of League One, having won just four league games so far this season.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:59:49 AM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #326 on: November 13, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
We may as well let him go out. We're already out the league cup and I can't see him getting in the side, especially with Yacob and Baird both on the bench.

Also noticed that the mail ran an article about interest in Baird from Fulham but that has been rebuffed.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #327 on: November 13, 2014, 09:50:38 AM »
I'd also say for me it's not a great sign that he's going out to a league one side who are currently bottom. If we rate him and think he is around the fringes of the first team, surely we would look to the championship, as we have done with the likes of Daniels and Thorne previously.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #328 on: November 13, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
I think he's better than League 1. The snippets I've seen from him he should at least be at a Championship club.

If it was down to me I'd get rid of Baird and O'Neil would replace him. Thought this at the start of the season and still thinks it now. Disappointed with this loan move
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #329 on: November 13, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
What idiot makes these decisions?  This kid is knocking on the door to the first team and they send him on loan to the bottom of League 1.  ???

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #330 on: November 13, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
Would have made more sense to send him out on loan to a struggling championship side.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #331 on: November 13, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »
Would have made more sense to send him out on loan to a struggling championship side.

Should have sent him to Blackpool along with Donovan Daniels.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #332 on: November 13, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »
I can understand him going out on loan as now we arent in the cups he doesnt currently seem near the first team but with all due respect to Scunthorpe i would think he should be going to a championship club.

If he was 19 or so and not really a first team player i could maybe understand it but he is 21 now, been on the fringes of the first team and not sure how this move will help him, seems a backwards step.

I think with the amount of midfielders we currently have at the club his chances are limited and it wouldnt surprise me he ends up moving on at the end of the season, ie - Sam Mantom, well thought of, well liked but just didnt get the chance.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #333 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:37 AM »
With all due respect to Scunthorpe what's he going to gain ?

All that will happen is that he will become lost at the Albion, end up moaning on social media and end up at Derby with Thorne which is understandable given his progression. Daniels wasn't really around the sqaud and even he was sent to the championship

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #334 on: November 13, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Its ok saying he should go to a Championship side, one of them has to request him!
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #335 on: November 13, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
From what I've seen of him he's not going to be good enough.  He should be dominating games in league one. So the ball is now in his court.  As somebody pointed out you can only loan him to a Championship club if one wants him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #336 on: November 13, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #337 on: November 13, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
Would you rather him knocking about with the under 21s or actually getting some first team football for a month?

Ridiculous attitudes, you can't just chuck him onto a Championship side, they actually have to want him first..

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #338 on: November 13, 2014, 01:25:32 PM »
He's been knocking around in our reserves until now without anyone feeling the need to send him out on loan previously.  A temporary move to League 1 should have been done years ago.  At 21 and on our bench should surely warrant playing for a Championship side.  League 1 will be no test for the kid.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #339 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:13 PM »
Would you rather him knocking about with the under 21s or actually getting some first team football for a month?

Ridiculous attitudes, you can't just chuck him onto a Championship side, they actually have to want him first..

Why is it ridiculous? If I'm honest given that we often use senior players in the 21s I'd rather he stay.

Please explain how if you're on the fringe of the first team why going to a side bottom of league one is a good thing? Training with players who are scrapping for league one status as opposed to those training to play premier league football.

I appreciate there may be no interest from the Championsip, but surely if there was some in Daniels who has had no involvement then there must have been some in O'neil

RuncornBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #340 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:42 PM »
In the U21's he is head and shoulders above the others. 

This will give him valuable first team experience. 
Heyyyyyyy, Tim Sherwood, Oooh, Aahh, I wanna knowwww..........Why you're such a.............

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #341 on: November 13, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
He's been knocking around in our reserves until now without anyone feeling the need to send him out on loan previously.  A temporary move to League 1 should have been done years ago.  At 21 and on our bench should surely warrant playing for a Championship side.  League 1 will be no test for the kid.

Exactly, what is he going to learn from them that he can't learn from international players?

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: November 13, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »

Maybe his ability does warrant a Championship side, but if there is no club at the level coming in for him what are you to do?

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #343 on: November 13, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »
Maybe his ability does warrant a Championship side, but if there is no club at the level coming in for him what are you to do?

Fair point pal, completely agree. Strange one that nobody has come in for him though.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #344 on: November 13, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »
Why is it ridiculous? If I'm honest given that we often use senior players in the 21s I'd rather he stay.

Please explain how if you're on the fringe of the first team why going to a side bottom of league one is a good thing? Training with players who are scrapping for league one status as opposed to those training to play premier league football.

I appreciate there may be no interest from the Championsip, but surely if there was some in Daniels who has had no involvement then there must have been some in O'neil

Fringe of the first team..  Well he may train with the first team but he is nowhere near our first eleven, even with a couple of injuries.  Playing first team football will be far more advantageous than playing under 21 games; for a start there is more of them (games).   Secondly for someone who has viewed a fair share of under 21 games, League One will be far more competitive, he will have less time on the ball and the games will be played with far more intensity than an U21 game.  He will also be playing alongside and against men, seasoned experienced pro’s, again you’d think he will be able to gleam much from actual match scenarios rather than mock examples on the training field. 

Furthermore I’ll add that O’Neil has spent his entire career in the comfort and cotton wool wrapped bubble of the academy, the rough and tumble of a League One dog fight will do no harm to his game nor his character.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #345 on: November 13, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
Fringe of the first team..  Well he may train with the first team but he is nowhere near our first eleven, even with a couple of injuries.  Playing first team football will be far more advantageous than playing under 21 games; for a start there is more of them (games).   Secondly for someone who has viewed a fair share of under 21 games, League One will be far more competitive, he will have less time on the ball and the games will be played with far more intensity than an U21 game.  He will also be playing alongside and against men, seasoned experienced pro’s, again you’d think he will be able to gleam much from actual match scenarios rather than mock examples on the training field. 

Furthermore I’ll add that O’Neil has spent his entire career in the comfort and cotton wool wrapped bubble of the academy, the rough and tumble of a League One dog fight will do no harm to his game nor his character.

Good point. That I do see as a benefit of the loan itself. I was more talking about quality of football

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #346 on: November 13, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
To be fair although a couple of years younger Berahino was taken out of the Academy and placed in the lower divisions with both a struggling Northampton and Brentford , in one respect it really must open the players eyes a bit.
I'm sure if O'Neill is a hit (as i suspect) a loan to the Championship will be next.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #347 on: November 13, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Spot on fella.

Good Luck to Liam, can only do him good playing games at league level.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #348 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
In an ideal world, he will go to Scunthorpe, play well, come back with a bit of experience then go out to the championship for a month or 3 to gain some more experience.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
It will not only give him regular football and experience it allows other sides to get a better look at him in a competitive environment.  A league 1 loan could turn into a Championship loan, and as pointed out, did Berahino no harm.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.