Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 308530 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #650 on: September 19, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
I think I have read in the past that Bilic employs zonal marking and if true could this be part of the problem? Could it be that it's not so much the players being good enough defensively but more to do with the fact we simply don't have the the right players to play zonal marking and might possibly explain why Johnstone (not sure what he was like at Villa) is always rooted to his line.

No, we switched from zonal to man-marking half-way through last season and have carried on the same way this season. Also, regardless of how the defenders track the opposition players that has nothing to do with Johnstone being stuck on his goal line.

WBASweden

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #651 on: September 19, 2020, 04:25:14 PM »
                   Button
Furlong Hegazi Ajayi/Ivanovic O'Shea
                   Field
Pereira Gallagher Sawyers Diangana
               Robinson

Think this set up would help with Sawyers defensive issues and play the ball through the midfield

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #652 on: September 19, 2020, 04:32:15 PM »
Johnstone
O’Shea Ajayi Ivanovic Gibbs
Field Livermore Gallagher
Pereira Robinson Diangana

Stop playing a back 5!

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #653 on: September 19, 2020, 05:08:37 PM »
I also think we should go back to a back four. This needs to be organised by a vocal keeper that commands his area. I don’t know enough about Button but Johnstone is going to change. If we’re going to play around with things let’s us do it in front of the defence (formation that is).
A better league with better players is not the time for us to play a new formation with a team that is in essence the same as last years. We need better players for positions as only a few look comfortable at this level and understand the need and importance of keeping possession.
I don’t think the formations we played last year were wrong, just at times the personnel chosen or introduced were questionable.
But we got promoted so what do I know.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #654 on: September 22, 2020, 11:06:15 PM »
The system needs better players.
We need shot of some players off wages so we can recruit.

I would give austin a free transfer just to get him off the books his legs have gone. Phillips been a waste of space doesnt look anywhere near fit or interested. HRK needs releasing next summer when his contract up a long with bartley.

Need to get Harper out on loan.
Realistically I would like a gk cm and cf w2 but it ain't going to happen.
O Albion we love you

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #655 on: September 22, 2020, 11:26:59 PM »
The system needs better players.
We need shot of some players off wages so we can recruit.

I would give austin a free transfer just to get him off the books his legs have gone. Phillips been a waste of space doesnt look anywhere near fit or interested. HRK needs releasing next summer when his contract up a long with bartley.

Need to get Harper out on loan.
Realistically I would like a gk cm and cf w2 but it ain't going to happen.

If Austin is on £50k a week, he’s not going on a free. I reckon it costs you the best part of £1.5m.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #656 on: September 22, 2020, 11:28:23 PM »
If Austin is on £50k a week, he’s not going on a free. I reckon it costs you the best part of £1.5m.

Yeah we aren't going to let Austin walk on a free unless somebody else is picking up what is left of his contract. I'm still hoping a few championship clubs will get desperate as we approach the end of the window, although the window between us and the championship closes later so we are going to have to be patient.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #657 on: September 23, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
I'm beginning to think we need to solidify a lot more - play a 4-5-1 bit like how we did under Roy, so a backline with Ivanovic and Hegazi involved. Maybe push Semi into DM to solidify us a bit more. This means we could push Sawyers and Gallagher forward in front of Semi with Pereira and Diangana on the wings and God knows upfront (Tea lady better than HRK or Austin so maybe only robinson is an admittedly poor option). We're running out of options a bit but I think it's clear we can break onto teams but look ropey at the back.

wonder if we'll ever sign an actual striker?

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
We're about £50 million short of a premier league starting 11, based on certain players not seemingly stepping up after the first couple of games. Hopefully the team can maintain shape for 90 mins, certain players can step up sooner rather than later and any signings - including our forthcoming striker whoever that may be - all work out.

If we could take things to the last day I would be tempted to accept this now. Early days however, and a couple of consecutive wins with strong performances from new additions could completely change belief across the whole club.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
We're about £50 million short of a premier league starting 11, based on certain players not seemingly stepping up after the first couple of games. Hopefully the team can maintain shape for 90 mins, certain players can step up sooner rather than later and any signings - including our forthcoming striker whoever that may be - all work out.

If we could take things to the last day I would be tempted to accept this now. Early days however, and a couple of consecutive wins with strong performances from new additions could completely change belief across the whole club.
To be devils advocate...is the striker the issue , I actually think CR7 😄 is and can be ok, if we sign a new striker at say 14-18m ....a) what do we do with Robinson?, B) what if they don’t hit the ground running?
Would we be better trying to get a Kante/Makelle type player in and putting the money in to that position along with a keeper ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #660 on: September 23, 2020, 08:52:22 PM »
To be devils advocate...is the striker the issue , I actually think CR7 😄 is and can be ok, if we sign a new striker at say 14-18m ....a) what do we do with Robinson?, B) what if they don’t hit the ground running?
Would we be better trying to get a Kante/Makelle type player in and putting the money in to that position along with a keeper ?

It’s a great point. Last season people questioned “how do we replace 50 goals strike force” and the answer was “From midfield!” Same premise in adding more solid quality in the middle.

I like Robinson for where our squad is now I’m pleased to have him and like his movement. Not as limited as some believe him to be and let’s not forget he scored the promotion goal!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #661 on: September 23, 2020, 09:08:45 PM »

I'd take a free transfer over a loan and subsidising his wages.  Hand snapped off.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #662 on: September 23, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »
Was advised that this might be the best place for now to discuss contracts so yeah. Austin, HRK, Phillips, Townsend, Grosiki, Peltier, Gibbs expiring in 9 months.

200k pw saved+ if/when we go down. Most have nothing to contribute, most have no transfer value. Would be happy to let them go at Xmas for frees or nominals.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #663 on: September 23, 2020, 09:16:47 PM »
Was advised that this might be the best place for now to discuss contracts so yeah. Austin, HRK, Phillips, Townsend, Grosiki, Peltier, Gibbs expiring in 9 months.

200k pw saved+ if/when we go down. Most have nothing to contribute, most have no transfer value. Would be happy to let them go at Xmas for frees or nominals.

I would wager that three or four of them will get extensions. Especially if we’re relegated.

HRK, Phillips, Townsend and one of either Peltier or Gibbs
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #664 on: September 23, 2020, 09:19:37 PM »
I would wager that three or four of them will get extensions. Especially if we’re relegated.

The board want shooting if they give any of them extensions IMO.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #665 on: September 23, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »
The board want shooting if they give any of them extensions IMO.

Makes the job easier for Dowling.

More disappointingly, given the lack of monies available I’m not sure I trust us to sign much better !!

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #666 on: September 23, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »
No, we switched from zonal to man-marking half-way through last season and have carried on the same way this season. Also, regardless of how the defenders track the opposition players that has nothing to do with Johnstone being stuck on his goal line.
So we switched around the time results starting going pear shaped... interesting.  I remember at the time Bilic saying things about tightening up at the back; we didn't seem to do that very much, but maybe we lost the attacking freedom zonal marking gave us.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #667 on: September 23, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »
Makes the job easier for Dowling.

More disappointingly, given the lack of monies available I’m not sure I trust us to sign much better !!

Well they can't have any excuses as they still havre the lists from last year drawn up.  :o

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #668 on: September 23, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
So we switched around the time results starting going pear shaped... interesting.  I remember at the time Bilic saying things about tightening up at the back; we didn't seem to do that very much, but maybe we lost the attacking freedom zonal marking gave us.

I’m not sure how zonal marking could contribute to attacking freedom?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #669 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »

I wouldn’t be surprised either but we absolutely shouldn’t give any of those new contracts, except possibly Townsend who may just be ok back up in the championship and is probably on modest wages.

Whilst on the subject of wages, it’s been mentioned a few times players have had 100% increases for promotion to the premiership. I have no idea if it’s true (it seems high to me) but if it is I hope we seriously consider how we structure contracts moving forwards so as not to hamstring us.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #670 on: September 23, 2020, 10:06:27 PM »

It makes you think that perhaps the 2 year plan to get promoted had some thinking behind it. All those could have been replaced for "free" as it were - letting them go at the end of the season.

He/him

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #671 on: September 23, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »
We can debate systems and tactics all day long but the main fact remains we have a squad nowhere near this level. I don’t see why anyone would be surprised by our start. We’ve been poor since Xmas. This team will finish bottom by a long way.

Sadly I agree. I think this is the weakest Albion PL team since Megson’s first promotion side, and arguably they were a lot more resilient.

There are huge weaknesses everywhere you look - front to back, and the areas in between. We can’t keep clean sheets, we don’t have the ability to break at pace and we don’t have any sort of reliable goalscorer. That’s a recipe for disaster.

Even the appalling Johnny Giles/Nobby Stiles/Ron Saunders assembly of 1986 was probably no worse (4 wins all season - 2 of them against Blues) and Don Howe’s 1973 failures had several good players (the Browns, Wile, Robertson, Cantello, Hartford, Johnston) who were poorly led and motivated.

I’ve been watching the Albion for nearly 50 years, and I don’t like the way this side looks at all. How I’d love to be proved wrong.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #672 on: September 23, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
It makes you think that perhaps the 2 year plan to get promoted had some thinking behind it. All those could have been replaced for "free" as it were - letting them go at the end of the season.

Quite possibly Mark. It really does look more and more like the board were not prepared for this promotion.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #673 on: September 23, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »

Austin Phillips grosicki peltier Townsend Gibbs yes. Hrk fine as third choice.
Think Bartley contract expires too he's another one I would let go on free
O Albion we love you

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #674 on: September 23, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »
Austin Phillips grosicki peltier Townsend Gibbs yes. Hrk fine as third choice.
Think Bartley contract expires too he's another one I would let go on free

Yes thats right, hes on about 15- 20k pw in the EFL too. It's a no from me.