Author Topic: System / Tactics / Personnel  (Read 308553 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: System / Tactics / Personnel
« Reply #575 on: September 14, 2020, 11:04:00 PM »
How very true. What do we all know compared to the great one?

Well you clearly don't know anything about stats... they tell you want you want to hear... Hull used last seasons,  I used all time, if you know where to look you can prove most subjective topics using a careful selection of statistical parameters to suit your own argument..

...Then the goalposts were moved to PL experience for some unknown reason and the debate came to an end before 68s utterly pointless dig at me.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #576 on: September 14, 2020, 11:10:47 PM »
Is he going for three at back to accommodate Ivanovic? Lost a lot of pace if you talk to Chelsea glory hunters.

Makes sense of the Ivanovic signing. Unfortunately it pretty much kills Sawyers Albion career. The thing we don't need nor fits into a 3-4-3 or any other 3 at the back combination is a deep sitting playmaker (Sawyers) or a Defensive Midfielder in the Yacob mold for that matter.

I am really not happy with this turn of events, I think it is a mistake there was so much wrong on SaturdayI hardly know where to start. We have an issue with the quality of personnel in the squad but reshaping the team in this way adds unfamiliarity into the mix and does not play to the strengths of a number of key personnel. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #577 on: September 14, 2020, 11:29:37 PM »
Livermore was playing as the attacking midfielder last season, so he should have got more goals and assists than Sawyers who was sitting in-between the defence and attackers, linking the play. The fact he only got 3 goals and 5 assists in 46 games in a side that scored as many as Leads is a indictment of his terrible football ability, not something to shout about.

I'm sorry did you just say JL was playing as an attacking midfielder? I'm sorry but that is about the most ill informed comment I have ever seen. He is there for one reason only and that it is to break up opposition play, SB knows it, the fans know it and nobody and I mean nobody thinks in any way he is a attacking midfielder.

He is the only person apart from the back 4/5 that tackles anyone. If you think our AM is JL rather than MP I give up with our fans.
Gera, Gera, Gera

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #578 on: September 14, 2020, 11:29:45 PM »
Seems a lot of posts with sawyers vs Livermore
Truth is you are all correct, both need to come out of the team

Diangana. Krov.  Gallagher. Pererira

Morgan schnederlin

That sorts this out ....
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #579 on: September 15, 2020, 12:28:53 AM »
I'm sorry did you just say JL was playing as an attacking midfielder? I'm sorry but that is about the most ill informed comment I have ever seen. He is there for one reason only and that it is to break up opposition play, SB knows it, the fans know it and nobody and I mean nobody thinks in any way he is a attacking midfielder.

He is the only person apart from the back 4/5 that tackles anyone. If you think our AM is JL rather than MP I give up with our fans.

Clumsily worded, but of the 2 he had far more licence to get forward and support the attack. Obviously Krovinović and latterly Pereira played the position Attacking Midfield.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #580 on: September 15, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »
I welcome the change to three at the back. I give Bilic credit for that. I think it gives newly promoted teams the best chance of survival, Wolves play three at the back, so do Sheff Utd.

It may not have been a huge success on Sunday but that was the first time we've played that way.

Of course you need the right players in any system. Ivanovic and Hegazi coming in at centre back gives us a stronger look immediately. Gallagher coming into midfield does too and a good striker not only improves us in a 3-4-3 it also gives us the option of 3-5-2. I do think we will need to vary how we play at times.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #581 on: September 15, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Makes sense of the Ivanovic signing. Unfortunately it pretty much kills Sawyers Albion career. The thing we don't need nor fits into a 3-4-3 or any other 3 at the back combination is a deep sitting playmaker (Sawyers) or a Defensive Midfielder in the Yacob mold for that matter.

I am really not happy with this turn of events, I think it is a mistake there was so much wrong on SaturdayI hardly know where to start. We have an issue with the quality of personnel in the squad but reshaping the team in this way adds unfamiliarity into the mix and does not play to the strengths of a number of key personnel.

I think we will see a back 4 most of the time but Bilic has the back 3 to combat those that play it, likes Wolves and Sheffield United. I think a full strength Leicester will be playing a back 3 and although they had injuries and played a back 4 all of pre-season, I think Bilic was wary of that.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #582 on: September 15, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »
Did Ivanovic play in a back 4 or back 3 at Zenit? If a 4 then suggests he can still cut it. If a 3 then we almost certainly need to employ that to shoe horn him in.

Personally, I think a back 3 will almost always turn into a back 5 and negate the strengths of Pereira and Diangana, whose best performances tend to have been in a 433.

Could see Galagher dropping into a midfield 3, with Sawyers and Livermore, with Pereira, Diangana and Robinson interchanging in the front 3. Would be perfect for the Championship but, whilst it could have flashes of brilliance it would likely leave us exposed at the back.

Just shows how difficult this league is. It's not just who to play but how?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #583 on: September 15, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »
Did Ivanovic play in a back 4 or back 3 at Zenit? If a 4 then suggests he can still cut it. If a 3 then we almost certainly need to employ that to shoe horn him in.

Personally, I think a back 3 will almost always turn into a back 5 and negate the strengths of Pereira and Diangana, whose best performances tend to have been in a 433.

Could see Galagher dropping into a midfield 3, with Sawyers and Livermore, with Pereira, Diangana and Robinson interchanging in the front 3. Would be perfect for the Championship but, whilst it could have flashes of brilliance it would likely leave us exposed at the back.

Ivanovic played in a 2 at Zenit.

The sooner we get back to what brought us success last season the better. Diangana especially is totally wasted when we use a left wingback.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #584 on: September 15, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
Well you clearly don't know anything about stats... they tell you want you want to hear... Hull used last seasons,  I used all time, if you know where to look you can prove most subjective topics using a careful selection of statistical parameters to suit your own argument..

...Then the goalposts were moved to PL experience for some unknown reason and the debate came to an end before 68s utterly pointless dig at me.

There is a well known saying about statistics, which I am sure you know. People are still allowed to form their opinions thankfully. They wont always agree with another person's but should be respected.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #585 on: September 15, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »
Ivanovic played in a 2 at Zenit.

The sooner we get back to what brought us success last season the better. Diangana especially is totally wasted when we use a left wingback.

If we do what we did last season we will be Norwich mark 2. The team is more important than any individual.

Personally I would not have signed Grady. Yes he's a good player but we had greater priorities than another wide man.

That money we spent wouldve been better going on making sure we got the likes of Manzukic and Krovinovic and Grant in.

IF we get them all in anyway then it's fine bringing Grady in but it's a big IF at the moment.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #586 on: September 15, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »
If we do what we did last season we will be Norwich mark 2. The team is more important than any individual.

Personally I would not have signed Grady. Yes he's a good player but we had greater priorities than another wide man.

That money we spent wouldve been better going on making sure we got the likes of Manzukic and Krovinovic and Grant in.

IF we get them all in anyway then it's fine bringing Grady in but it's a big IF at the moment.

3 at the back is not the way forward for our personnel. You can't convince me differently.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
3 at the back is not the way forward for our personnel. You can't convince me differently.

No I know you too well to expect otherwise.

We shall see. 😉

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #588 on: September 15, 2020, 12:55:25 PM »
No I know you too well to expect otherwise.

We shall see. 😉

I've finally got round to watching the match. Leicester have just scored. It has been far poorer than I was led to believe reading the comments on here.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #589 on: September 15, 2020, 12:57:26 PM »
I've finally got round to watching the match. Leicester have just scored. It has been far poorer than I was led to believe reading the comments on here.

It was poor. We have almost half a team that are nowhere near PL quality. Whatever system we use isnt going to change that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #590 on: September 15, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
It was poor. We have almost half a team that are nowhere near PL quality. Whatever system we use isnt going to change that.

It nullified any threat we carry. Full appraisal at full time mate.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #591 on: September 15, 2020, 01:00:39 PM »

I'd say even more than that. Without 4-5 quality starters we will finish rock bottom.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: September 15, 2020, 02:42:50 PM »
I'd play with a back four, five at the back just kills our attacking intent. No matter what system we play we are not going to be too convincing defensively, this teams is better on front foot. We need to try to get players up and around the front three, which means more midfielders making runs into the box and more play in the opposition third. Way too negative set-up against Leicester. You don't get promoted and then change your system and hide in your shell on the opening day against a team with a make shift back four. Too clever for our own good at the weekend.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #593 on: September 15, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »
I'd play with a back four, five at the back just kills our attacking intent. No matter what system we play we are not going to be too convincing defensively, this teams is better on front foot. We need to try to get players up and around the front three, which means more midfielders making runs into the box and more play in the opposition third. Way too negative set-up against Leicester. You don't get promoted and then change your system and hide in your shell on the opening day against a team with a make shift back four. Too clever for our own good at the weekend.

We wont have enough of the ball to do what you want us to do. You are forgetting we are up against teams with better players than we have.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #594 on: September 15, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
We wont have enough of the ball to do what you want us to do. You are forgetting we are up against teams with better players than we have.
Not all teams have the quality of Leicester, they are a top 5 side!
There are 9 or 10 teams that we can easily compete with.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #595 on: September 15, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
Not all teams have the quality of Leicester, they are a top 5 side!
There are 9 or 10 teams that we can easily compete with.

At the moment there is one. Fulham and that's 50 / 50.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #596 on: September 15, 2020, 03:28:09 PM »
At the moment there is one. Fulham and that's 50 / 50.

Far too pessimistic, our reserves beat West Ham comfortably. Our reserves minus Barry plus Krov were extremely unlucky not to get the equaliser and then beat Newcastle.

We are not going to be defensively solid, we haven't got the personnel. We have to give the opposition something to think about going the other way. That means building around Pereira and Diangana. Not Bartley and Ajayi.

WBASweden

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #597 on: September 15, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »

I'd try a 4-2-3-1 with Gallagher and Livermore dropping deep while Sawyers plays as a CAM behind the striker. Thats how he used to play for Brentford when Dean Smith was their manager. Wouldn't have to be as responsible defensively and can follow along Grady and Pereira

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #598 on: September 15, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »
I'd try a 4-2-3-1 with Gallagher and Livermore dropping deep while Sawyers plays as a CAM behind the striker. Thats how he used to play for Brentford when Dean Smith was their manager. Wouldn't have to be as responsible defensively and can follow along Grady and Pereira
If you play 4231, Pereira needs to be in the middle of the 3, IMO.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #599 on: September 15, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
Another thing to give consideration to at the back is who exactly is Ivanović replacing?

We seem to have a plethora of right sided centre halves. Not sure it is helpful to the balance of the side.

I guess Ajayi and Ivanović will be our centre half pairing as I cannot imagine he is here to warm the bench. There is the option of him at full back which opens up a return for Bartley at centre but I cannot imagine we will set up a 36 year old at full back.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom