Author Topic: 14 Sept 2019 Fulham 1 Albion 1  (Read 24996 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »
Poor today, we got a point that we didn't really deserve.  I think Bilic got it tactically wrong and we sat off them too much.  The changes, and the fact we had to gamble to get something, meant we pushed on more and caused them problems.

Ferguson the pick of our players today.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »
That is a very decent point against an extremely good Fulham side

Thought the last 25 mins we were good enough to go on to win it

Edwards changed our dynamic when he came on and Ferguson yet again was brilliant especially when up against such as good a player as Knockaert

I’ll take that point all day long..still unbeaten
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
Got away with that one, it looks like too many of our players are more interested in looking "languid" than actually playing football, until we go behind anyway

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »
A great point all things considered, Much better when Livermore/Phillips went off, Phillips especially. Prefer 2 up top but with our squad i can't see him doing that even though it seemed a 4-4-2 when Hal came on.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »
Fulham were robbed today, but I don't care  :P :-*. Feels like a win COYB

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »
We have improved after subs came on.
Good point against a strong side away from home.
The PRIDE of midlands

baggiepipe

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2019, 02:35:14 PM »
Tough match, good point. Don't get the Johnston bashing, I thought he played well. The only player who I thought didn't was Phillips. Bilic made the right subs and formation change. By the way, our goal was a good play by Austin. He was bothering the goalkeeper, and the keeper was more focused on pushing him away than being in position. It moved him a foot or so out from where he should have been, so when the corner came in he could just get one hand on it.

baggiepipe

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »
A great point all things considered, Much better when Livermore/Phillips went off, Phillips especially. Prefer 2 up top but with our squad i can't see him doing that even though it seemed a 4-4-2 when Hal came on.

Yep, I thought we went to a 4-4-2, and I thought we looked better in it.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2019, 02:36:45 PM »
Would have taken a point all day. I think Fulham have the best squad in the championship. An encouragement is Bilic seems to make the right subs and they actually impact the game.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »
Really optimistic after that. Still unbeaten. Dominated for 70 mins which meant we had to adapt and defend which we did in large amounts extremely well, it wasn't perfect but it was never going to be yet. We're not going to dominate every game and we're still gelling. Give it a few months we'll be flying. The competition for the forward positions is so healthy and some of our play last 20 minutes was really impressive. Definitely glass half full at this moment in time.  Big overhaul of staff  both on and off the pitch and change of style things are looking good. Decent point when put in context away at a team that was in the pl last season

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2019, 02:38:26 PM »
If you finish above Fulham you should really be winning the league.

They are simply better than us so it’s a great point. We may have helped them look good but sometimes team just make you look bad.

The good thing is we only have to play them twice so we can still challenge

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »
Got to be pleased with a point. Overall Fulham probably deserved it, but subs worked well for us and gave alot more support for the attack. Thought Edwards very direct and had the beating of their defence. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »
-Johnson: Average and unconvincing
-Livermore, Philips & Austin: Woeful. Austin looks like one of those ex pros playing in a charity game going for a little jog.
-Everybody else: Played well, particularly Kov, Bartley and Edwards.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »
All this hating on Johnstone I don't get. Not at fault for the goal, distribution isn't amazing, granted. Definately kept us in the game today. I don't agree they're better than us. I think we will dominate  this league without sounding arrogant. Hegazi is yet to come back, if we get a striker in January it would be hard to see a better squad and coach combo. COYB. After the last few seasons let's be positive about things

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
Ugly, but very good point in the circumstances.

Subs changed it and eventually - eventually! - the ability to press higher up the pitch and take gambles put them under pressure.

I thought Nathan Ferguson was simply outstanding in an unfamiliar position. He actually looks like a very solid defender.

It’ll look a great point if we can turn Huddersfield and the Cowley’s over next week.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2019, 03:28:04 PM »
Superb point.

I didn't think our system helped us first half. Fulham control possession so we had two choices either retreat and defend our half or press from the front. We didn't seem to know what to do. It's hard to press when playing 4-2-3-1 because your second line is naturally deeper so defenders have space on the ball. Phillips, Austin, Diangana and Sawyers tried to press but they were all doing it individually and just got bypassed.

Once we made the changes we looked much better because Edwards pushed further forward which stopped one of Fulham's outlets and Sessegnon then didn't have space and resorted to hitting the ball up the line time after time, Robson-Kanu added physical presence behind Austin and Pereira pulled wider and got on the ball more. With Krovinovic in midfield we kept the ball better and got Sawyers on it more.

That's one of our hardest games of the season out of the way and we got a point.

Happy with that.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
At the end of the season taking a point at Fulham will be a good result however we did it! Happy tonight!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
Poor until the subs came on, all of whom were responsible for the fightback. HRK put himself about and made their back 4 nervous, Edwards had their right back on toast and Krov kept it moving.

Grady, Livermore and Philips were not at the races today. When we get Hegazi back this is the kind of game where we put Ajayi in the midfield to break up play and protect the back 4. Again a team passed straight through the middle of us, same as just about every other game this season.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2019, 04:16:30 PM »
Tactically poor I thought. Ball in the air way too much which weakened us hugely and made Fulham look far better than they are. No idea why we chose to play this way but it cost us. Very lucky to get a point.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »
I agree the lineup didn't work out but he stuck with a winining team. It might have took 60 mins or so but SB made the 3 correct substitutions and tactical change. With last years manager that wouldn't have happened.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »
The negatives about Johnstone today are unjust. He played well. The goal was not his fault. The position he found himself in meant that he couldn’t save the effort. That’s not to say his position was wrong. The guy meant to cross the ball not shoot, he said so when interviewed.
We didn’t play well as a team that’s for sure but I feel we played arguably the best team in the division on their own turf so the point is excellent in my view

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
A tough game against a good side. I consider this a point won instead of three points lost. Still unbeaten in the league shows how far we have come.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
The thing I like is we actually have players on the bench that can make a difference, and a manager that can change the dynamic of the game. We had neither last year.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »
Great point. Fulham keep the ball well in the most dangerous area of the pitch.

Phillips was not great going forward, we all have off days but he left Furlong to do a lot of the work defensively which is not excusable imo. 

Sawyers is such a great ambassador. A rare game where where the opposition has majority of possession, which as a consequence meant it wasn’t a game for him. Nevertheless did well and last 30 minutes was very good.

Austin can only do so much, he won a lot of headers in fairness and showed more stamina than I personally expected.

Pereira is technically brilliant, a joy to watch. Champions League quality and adore the chant - genius!

Ferguson immense and played beyond his years.

Fulham ran out of ideas.. a very good sign.

Loved the goal, the chants, the brave substitutions and the point. Great away game!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2019, 07:33:48 PM »
The negatives about Johnstone today are unjust. He played well. The goal was not his fault. The position he found himself in meant that he couldn’t save the effort. That’s not to say his position was wrong. The guy meant to cross the ball not shoot, he said so when interviewed.
We didn’t play well as a team that’s for sure but I feel we played arguably the best team in the division on their own turf so the point is excellent in my view

I wouldn't blame Johnstone for the goal, but he gave himself no chance of saving it thanks to his positioning.  Even if it was a cross he'd have been scrambling across his goal if an attacker had got to it.  He's way too far over towards his near post considering where the ball was floated in from.