Author Topic: Play off Points Target  (Read 10110 times)

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Play off Points Target
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2024, 11:52:31 PM »
If it’s done after playing Wednesday there is a week until the final game and then 8/9 days before the first leg so we should play our strongest team vs Preston unless anyone has a particular knock

Disagree, players have looked tired at times in recent weeks - I think an extended break for the majority would be ideal

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2024, 11:01:08 AM »
One win in six now, and the worst form of the top seven. we have looked tired in a few games and struggled through, then looked magnificent and lost. This the Albion we all know and love. One win should do it...

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2024, 01:34:33 PM »
One win in six now, and the worst form of the top seven. we have looked tired in a few games and struggled through, then looked magnificent and lost. This the Albion we all know and love. One win should do it...

Yes Rob, it maybe the worst form of the top seven BUT, although we lost yesterday, the performance was a country mile better than our recent displays and hopefully the turning point in our form.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2024, 04:35:12 PM »
Sheffield Wednesday will be looking for a win to ensure survival
This will not be an easy game and because I’m a Baggies supporter of many years standing I will expect an unpredictable performance  :o

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2024, 04:52:00 PM »
Sheffield Wednesday will be looking for a win to ensure survival
This will not be an easy game and because I’m a Baggies supporter of many years standing I will expect an unpredictable performance  :o

I quite agree. I just hope the grit Albion showed yesterday can translate into a couple of goals. Oh for a striker.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2024, 05:05:27 PM »
I quite agree. I just hope the grit Albion showed yesterday can translate into a couple of goals. Oh for a striker.
For me you’ve hit the nail on the head - grit. Vardy (love him or hate him) has more of that than our entire team. Ballard showed more last weekend - it seemed to really matter to Sunderland to get a result at our place - more than it seemed to ours. We don’t currently have that winner mentality in our side.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2024, 07:02:51 PM »
For me you’ve hit the nail on the head - grit. Vardy (love him or hate him) has more of that than our entire team. Ballard showed more last weekend - it seemed to really matter to Sunderland to get a result at our place - more than it seemed to ours. We don’t currently have that winner mentality in our side.

Not enough ruthlessness

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2024, 11:17:58 AM »

I disagree. We've hit a bad patch but overall we've had plenty of grit this season which is show by our biggest loss being a mere 0-2. Plenty of teams around us have lost by bigger margins this season. I believe we will do enough to get in the play-offs and I'm not panicking. Ballard currently plays for Sunderland who are considerably worse than us so I don't get that point either. Just because you're a thug on the pitch or wind up away fans it doesn't mean you have grit.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2024, 12:32:50 PM »
I disagree. We've hit a bad patch but overall we've had plenty of grit this season which is show by our biggest loss being a mere 0-2. Plenty of teams around us have lost by bigger margins this season. I believe we will do enough to get in the play-offs and I'm not panicking. Ballard currently plays for Sunderland who are considerably worse than us so I don't get that point either. Just because you're a thug on the pitch or wind up away fans it doesn't mean you have grit.

Very true. The Vardy comment I can understand, but not the one about the Sunderland thug.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2024, 08:42:49 AM »
Either of Coventry/ Hull who lose is out of it, but the winner will have momentum.   A draw is probably the best result for us and would leave us needing a point  with our superior GD. 

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2024, 08:52:46 AM »
Im happy to finish 6th and play Ipswich over 2 legs...
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2024, 01:58:49 PM »
Seeing how we played against Leicester, we can beat anyone on the day, if we turn up.
We have just not turned up for some games, especially away/mid week fixtures.
We have the players, who have the ability, for me it is the mindset sometimes that appears lacking, usually against weaker clubs.
That's why I can see a very disappointing result against Sheffield looming and only a point against Preston.
That may just get us over the line, but we could be pipped at the post assuming we do not win anymore. Not particularly positive , but I have been a fan for nearly 70 years and I know how this can go.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2024, 02:26:54 PM »
I think we will win one of our remaining games, I doubt we will do that without incident because that is the nature of the beast. Sheffield Wednesday are highly incentivised to throw everything they have at us so it won't be easy nor will playing a decent PNE side on the last day.

The play-off's is a bit of a lottery although history suggests one that is weighted in the the 3rd placed teams favour because they win roughly 50% of the time. Where 3rd placed teams seem to do badly is when they have spent the bulk of the season in the top 2 and drop into third place in the last few weeks of the season. I don't think neither Leeds nor Ipswich (in particular) would feel crushed by the disappointment of finishing 3rd. Leicester who still might finish 3rd would be.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2024, 11:55:16 AM »
Im happy to finish 6th and play Ipswich over 2 legs...

Absolutely this, and hope that Leeds take care of Southampton.
Saints are the only side I think we'd struggle to beat. On our day we can take Ipswich and Leeds.

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2024, 02:14:35 PM »
At this moment in time I'm not bothered who we get in the play offs, I will be happy just to finish in the top six.

We all know anything can happen in football, that's why it's so unpredictable. Having said that it would be a great disappointment not to qualify at this stage. I'm hoping for four points from our last two games.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2024, 02:32:42 PM »
We can beat anyone on the day(s).
Our performance against Leicester proves that.
But we are on a run of bad results just when we did not need it, at the moment finishing 5th or 6th would feel like a tremendous achievement (which it would be)and send richter scale tremors of relief through the fan base.
I hope we hit 6 against Wednesday and are not hit for 6.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2024, 02:57:10 PM »
At this moment in time I'm not bothered who we get in the play offs, I will be happy just to finish in the top six.

We all know anything can happen in football, that's why it's so unpredictable. Having said that it would be a great disappointment not to qualify at this stage. I'm hoping for four points from our last two games.

Totally agree with this post. That’s where my thoughts are too

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2024, 12:12:15 PM »
i can only see us getting 1 more point. the draw at home to Preston

I laughed at you for this but i'd snap your hands off now

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2024, 12:29:51 PM »
I laughed at you for this but i'd snap your hands off now

I actually can't see it right now either.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2024, 12:39:18 PM »
Well here we are, still in our hands, as it was 3 losses ago! Probably needing a win at home to guarantee 6th unless Plymouth do us a favour against Hull.
 We all feared this would be the case, we don't half make it hard on ourselves.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2024, 12:42:12 PM »
 I feel we will put in a performance against Preston and claim the 3pts.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2024, 01:11:19 PM »
I'm not sure what we are expecting next weekend.

Does anyone think, for one minute, we have it in us to win all of our playoffs?

No attack. No finish.

Would absolutely love to eat these words but we have fizzled.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2024, 01:24:53 PM »
CC has done a good job generally, particularly as it’s yet another season where we have really had a striker, but he’s a conservative coach and I worry he will head in to the game playing for a point

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2024, 02:09:35 PM »
If we do not go in to this game to win it,  then we thoroughly deserve to lose it.
Preston have nothing to play for and we have everything to play for, for goodness sake. The coach has to pick his best team and every player has to give everything he has got, (those who have got anything left that is).
This is the game we have to turn up to, both physically and mentally.
We have looked poor now, with the exception of the Leicester game, which we lost. Perhaps we have shot our bolt, it tends to be what we continually do year after year.

Will we do it? of course we will and I see us winning all of our play off games.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2024, 02:29:05 PM »
Will we do it? of course we will and I see us winning all of our play off games.

Well I admire your optimism, got to hand that to you.

I don't understand how, striker or not, we can put in a performance like we did against Leicester and then bottle 'easier' games. That is why we are not good enough.