Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1746143 times)

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #525 on: June 15, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »
Still now I just don't understand it. Most important appointment to create a positive feel and it's f"&£)£?( Irvine.

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #526 on: June 15, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
Thought Peace was trying to correct the wrongs. what bubble do they live in. Last season ticket for me. They f;:£ this up they deserve what they get.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #527 on: June 15, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
Ridiculous process and decision, sick of being mugged off by Peace, wish I could fathom his agenda.
I thought I would never see us in Prem again, but Peace made it happen, now he seems hell bent on taking us back.
Irvine will not be a success, even if we win a few it will be with sickening football, not for me thanks.
At least I can cancel sky sports as I won't be watching for news every day of the transfer window. The type of players we will now attract won't even warrant a banner across the bottom of the screen!

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #528 on: June 15, 2014, 03:29:27 PM »
Irvine is to blame as much as the rest, he dont have to say yes to the job does he
That has to go down as one of the daftest posts I've seen.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #529 on: June 15, 2014, 03:32:06 PM »
There is no doubting that the guy is a top coach.  People within the game speak highly of his methods. 

That’s the only positive spin I can put on it at the moment. 
"This crack is really moreish."

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #530 on: June 15, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Personally I think we are back to a point where we are closest to when our footballing model was most succesful (under Roy). A "players" coach who hopefully can bring back harmony to the dressing room and who is prepared to work within the director of football model. Because he may be perceived to have failed at some other clubs does not mean that he will automatically fail here as we employ a different structure. Big characters are not required at the Hawthorns.

.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Foreverbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #531 on: June 15, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
There is no doubting that the guy is a top coach.  People within the game speak highly of his methods. 

That’s the only positive spin I can put on it at the moment.

No they don't speak highly oif him at all, not that I know

Foreverbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #532 on: June 15, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
Personally I think we are back to a point where we are closest to when our footballing model was most succesful (under Roy). A "players" coach who hopefully can bring back harmony to the dressing room and who is prepared to work within the director of football model. Because he may be perceived to have failed at some other clubs does not mean that he will automatically fail here as we employ a different structure. Big characters are not required at the Hawthorns.

Sorry, no we're not, RH had years and years of experience from various leagues and countries, Irvine had just PNE and SW and failed at both  :o

We couldn't be further away from that place, many players who played under him have said his man management skills were appalling.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #533 on: June 15, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
 Not been on for a while but crikey JP even by your standards this one is from the left field. Cant help but feel a bit for irvine with the impending rabbit in the headlights scenario. One can only assume that after last seasons debacle that JP has decided to get behind the steering wheel once again and that his well worn strategy of "the sum of the parts equals the whole" is again right at the top of the agenda. Expect a string of low budget take a chance signings to bulk out the squad. To be honest im not that bothered who the coach is its more the style of football for me. I would have liked to see pepe mel given a chance to bring in a bit more flair. Will irvine bring a moyes style? If so then I for one will be disappointed.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #534 on: June 15, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »
No they don't speak highly oif him at all, not that I know

Really?  I've seen several players and a coach say he is a top coach just this morning..

"This crack is really moreish."

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #535 on: June 15, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »

Sorry mate totally disagree, IMO it is exactly what we need after last season. The behind closed doors bickering, undermining the head coach and obvious lack of passion by the players last season requires a leader. Roy was respected not just for the man he is but his past record. Irvine maybe a good coach but when your on a run of 4 loses is he going to have the nowse and balls to put the players and tactics right.

Foreverbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #536 on: June 15, 2014, 03:55:41 PM »
Really?  I've seen several players and a coach say he is a top coach just this morning..

Try asking Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, Craig Beattie, what they thought of him and his sidekick, just to name a few

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #537 on: June 15, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
I've looked at his Sheffield Wednesday results before getting sacked, it included one win in eight games in League one and a 5-1 defeat to Exeter and 4-0 defeat to Leyton Orient. The season before in The Championship when he got them relegated he won 1 of the last 10 games. He got sacked from Preston with 1 win in 8 games. So basically when a team goes on a bad run he hasn't got a clue how to stop it. I'm sure he's a good coach and I'm sure he works well with academy players so he would have been a great appointment for the U21 team but as Head Coach it's an abysmal appointment. His style of football is awful too.
the regime don't like it man

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #538 on: June 15, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
Try asking Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, Craig Beattie, what they thought of him and his sidekick, just to name a few

I wonder if Billy Jones saw the writing on the wall?

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #539 on: June 15, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »
I must say I'm trying to find a positive spin to put on this whole appointment of Alan Irvine, but I can't find one. I think we'll have to have a look at what signings we make in the upcoming months. It just doesn't make much sense to me really. Why did we get rid of Pepe Mel and get in Alan Irvine...blows my mind, man.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #540 on: June 15, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, what would Alan Irvine have to achieve next season, for the appointment to be considered a success?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »

Do you have a link to the quotes of Billy Jones, Richard Chaplow, & Craig Beattie please.
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: June 15, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
Just as a matter of interest, what would Alan Irvine have to achieve next season, for the appointment to be considered a success?

At this point, avoid relegation.

baggyman68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #543 on: June 15, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
After his "the buck stops with me" speech and his promise to put things right Peace has gone and stuck his fingers up at the lot of us with this appointment!
Perhaps Father Ted Irvine is a good coach who can improve players but does he have the tactical awareness to out-think other coaches? A look at his record says no!
Will he have the presence in the Albion dressing room to command respect from a bunch of players that have already shown that together they are capable of undermining coaches and getting them the sack. We needed someone with a bit of bottle to sort out the cliques we are plagued with!
I would advise anyone with shares to sell them to Peace because they wont be worth the paper they are written on at this rate!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #544 on: June 15, 2014, 04:14:30 PM »
Strangely not that annoyed about this. I think largely because Sherwood was so clearly a terrible option, virtually any other option was preferable.

I don't think he'll be a complete disaster here anyway. Reminds me of when Bolton got Megson, much to the anger of their fans, and they never accepted him there, though he did alright league table wise.

I'm huessing there's something more to it than just being a cheap option too. The club could easily have got someone like McInnes who'd have been a reasonably popular choice, if that was the sole intention.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:18:13 PM by Dan »

loui999

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #545 on: June 15, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
If there is any doubt, I am an AlbionFan of 60 years devoted loyalty. Owners, Directors, Players et al, come and go, but AlbionFans are forever whether we like it or not at this time.

Nice try Dingle ! Using the words darkness and light give it away, but hey as i said before its funny 

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #546 on: June 15, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »
Strangely not that annoyed about this. I think largely because Sherwood was so clearly a terrible option, virtually any other option was preferable.

I don't think he'll be a complete disaster here anyway. Reminds me of when Bolton got Megson, much to the anger of their fans, and they never accepted him there, though he did alright league table wise.

I'm huessing there's something more to it than just being a cheap option too. The club could easily have got someone like McInnes who'd have been a reasonably popular choice, if that was the sole intention.

McInnes wouldn't be Downing's Glove puppet thats probably why

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #547 on: June 15, 2014, 04:33:18 PM »
Alan fecking Irvine. Still can't believe it. The more I think about it the more crazy it is! 

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #548 on: June 15, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »
Almost 24 hours on and I still can't rationalise the appointment or justify it to myself. I keep thinking of reasons why JP would have done it and none of them make sense.

It's just a bloody, bloody mess.

I acknowledge what JP has done in terms of building the club up from when he took over, but I think as a leader he's clearly peaked and needs to GO NOW.

Peace is now the problem AND PREVENTING THIS CLUB FROM MAKING FURTHER PROGRESS.

He thinks too much about how much he wants to spend instead of how much he can afford to spend.

He could have paid more money to get the coach with genuine ability and experience that he promised us he'd get. That would have been a genuine investment.

Instead he's doing things on the cheap and trousering the change.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #549 on: June 15, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
After his "the buck stops with me" speech and his promise to put things right Peace has gone and stuck his fingers up at the lot of us with this appointment!
Perhaps Father Ted Irvine is a good coach who can improve players but does he have the tactical awareness to out-think other coaches? A look at his record says no!
Will he have the presence in the Albion dressing room to command respect from a bunch of players that have already shown that together they are capable of undermining coaches and getting them the sack. We needed someone with a bit of bottle to sort out the cliques we are plagued with!
I would advise anyone with shares to sell them to Peace because they wont be worth the paper they are written on at this rate!
Let's hope Peace keeps his word with the buck stops with me quote and falls on his sword when it all goes t*t's up.