Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 265258 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

By the time the season resumes a lot of players would be out of contract with their clubs so there is potential for a lot of teams to resume the season with vastly different teams. Just a madness.

Play behind closed doors or call it done now.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Who's going to pay the players the extra month or two's wages? I don't suppose they'll be sitting around not getting paid for the next few weeks will they? Can't see most of them working for free for the extra couple of months after the season should have ended. Genuine question. I've always assumed that they're paid weekly between a certain start and end date as opposed to paid every time they actually play a game.
I think you might find they are salaried so receive an annual payment typically divided up into 12 monthly payments up to the end of their contracts
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Do you guys remember the season we were top of the first division playing brilliant football under big Ron, then the big freeze break and it cost us the title.
I hope slaven keeps the lads focused and occupied for the next few weeks because the whole season has been reduced to 9 matches, unless they just end it where we are positioned now and were up.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

No chance of either of our keepers catching Coronavirus...

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

The coronavirus isn't expected to peak until June. The Spanish Flu of 1918-1920 actually came in three distinct waves of infection as opposed to being a oner. This could drag on and on.....
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Love it  :D

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

We got one who could punch it instead though  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

I think it’s almost certain they will finish the season. Possibly with games restarting behind closed doors initially if the virus is still a big problem.

Players that are out of contract aren’t a big issue in the grand scheme of things. They still get paid for their agreed contract. If finishing this season ultimately goes beyond June then squads might lose one or two players but I’d bet more of those out of contract are players clubs want off the wage bill and aren’t big parts of the squads anyway, rather than players running them down.

Our squad doesn’t cover every scenario but I imagine it’s Brunt, Barry and posilsibly players like Edwards and Phillips. Nathan Fergusson might lose a few more quid.

The season will be interrupted in a few years for the World Cup anyway, so they can replan to circle it back to the normal season over the next few years.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

From the website:

Albion have suspended ticket sales for the fixtures against Birmingham City, Brentford and Sheffield Wednesday following the EFL’s decision to postpone all games until April 3 owing to the coronavirus pandemic.

Tickets already purchased for the postponed EFL fixtures may still be used for the rescheduled dates, which are expected to be announced in due course.

If supporters are unable to attend any of the rearranged dates then a refund process will be announced at the time the revised fixture dates are confirmed.

Albion have also suspended the Club’s Academy programmes from under-9 to under-16 level up to and including March 29 in order to minimise the risk to players, their families and staff.

All plans introduced by the Club to tackle the coronavirus outbreak remain subject to advice from the relevant authorities.

This follows Albion adopting measures earlier this week designed to protect the continued wellbeing of players, staff and supporters.

We will continue to take the best advice from the relevant authorities and will update supporters at wba.co.uk with any further developments.

Albion would like to thank supporters for their co-operation and understanding during this challenging period for all.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

As a few others have said, they will almost certainly postpone the Euros till 21 and play the remaining games in all European leagues in the summer, behind closed doors if necessary, then push back the start of next season and cancel things like the league cup if they need to.

If its too bad for that, we won't be worrying about footie anyway

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

It will be interesting to see how they schedule the 3 postponed fixtures. If they just add them on to the end of the season we will end up having 2 away games as our last fixtures and out last home game will be Birmingham. It will also mean Leeds last fixture will be Fulham !!

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

Just saying on sky news that our peak isn’t going to come till 3-4 weeks time. This is when the government want to put a ban on mass gatherings . So come April 4th when the football league ban ends there’s a great chance that’s when the governments ban will start .

Early May at the very earliest I’d say for any chance of football .

alex1

• WBA Coach

Right decision has been made. Public health is more important than football. A bit ironic that Boris Johnson was giving it large last Saturday amidst 60,000 at Twickenham stadium, and now does a U turn.
I can't see it the health situation any better in 3 weeks time. A dillema for Billic is whether to keep the squad sharp for 3rd April or not.
If at all possible, I think they should play remaining games behind closed doors and ensure everyone has automatic access to games on iFollow.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:12:51 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

I have got a feeling that this postponement until 3/4/20 is to sort out tv contracts and compensation for pubs etc as they don't want people watching games in pubs.

Once that is sorted they will play the games behind closed doors, having seen them played like that abroad, as there is no guarantee that this disease will be gone by the summer.

They will then show the games on their formats like sky mix and red button etc for free as a pr exercise.

I absolutely hate the idea of behind closed games but there is no choice left imo other declaring the standing as they are which would involve potential legal action.

Europe are setting the precedent for behind closed door games.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Who's going to pay the players the extra month or two's wages? I don't suppose they'll be sitting around not getting paid for the next few weeks will they? Can't see most of them working for free for the extra couple of months after the season should have ended. Genuine question. I've always assumed that they're paid weekly between a certain start and end date as opposed to paid every time they actually play a game.

Pretty sure they're paid 52 weeks a year.

Contracts are normally dated to 30 June, so if the fixtures can be completed by then, clubs shouldn't carry any additional costs.
The big problem lies with clubs in the lower divisions where a major proportion of the income comes from gate receipts.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

I think it’s almost certain they will finish the season. Possibly with games restarting behind closed doors initially if the virus is still a big problem.

Players that are out of contract aren’t a big issue in the grand scheme of things. They still get paid for their agreed contract. If finishing this season ultimately goes beyond June then squads might lose one or two players but I’d bet more of those out of contract are players clubs want off the wage bill and aren’t big parts of the squads anyway, rather than players running them down.

Our squad doesn’t cover every scenario but I imagine it’s Brunt, Barry and posilsibly players like Edwards and Phillips. Nathan Fergusson might lose a few more quid.

The season will be interrupted in a few years for the World Cup anyway, so they can replan to circle it back to the normal season over the next few years.

I think it would be a big deal for us, loans will finish on June 30th also.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Don't know how true this is but clubs in and around prem relagation zone are pushing to void this season. Vile chairmen doesn't believe season can be completed.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

That's going to work out well for them with the power Liverpool wield compared to the vile and Norwich.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

We have a definite over reaction here and also goalposts are being moved to suit the situation.  We cancel football matches but allow Cheltenham to go ahead. Why ?  because lost revenue !!   I then heard on the news today that Glastonbury will definitely go ahead.  On top of that we have a Prime Minister who is showing us how to wash our hands and then refuses to be tested himself even after one of his own MPs has been tested positive. Madrid is in lockdown but we allow Athletico Madrid fans into the country ( I bet Liverpool wish they had called it off).  Having said all that , with the decision that has been made, if the situation is worse on April 3rd there is no way they will allow football matches to be played.  I can see this going on for 2 mths and the season will end early July.  Euros then moved to 2021 and the new season starting in October.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

The thing that is worrying me from a purely footballing point of view is the possibility of playing 3 games a week to conclude the season.

We have struggled when playing 3 games a week so far this season from what I remember!

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

They need to complete the season. Why not restart in June? Play till aug/Sep? New season start end of October, with no fa cup or carabao cup? Limit international friendlies and have euros next summer. They cannot void season or allow us and Leeds to go up, that’s not fair on Fulham/forest/Brentford etc.

If they void season with no promotions there will be uproar.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

We have a definite over reaction here and also goalposts are being moved to suit the situation.  We cancel football matches but allow Cheltenham to go ahead. Why ?  because lost revenue !!   I then heard on the news today that Glastonbury will definitely go ahead.  On top of that we have a Prime Minister who is showing us how to wash our hands and then refuses to be tested himself even after one of his own MPs has been tested positive. Madrid is in lockdown but we allow Athletico Madrid fans into the country ( I bet Liverpool wish they had called it off).  Having said all that , with the decision that has been made, if the situation is worse on April 3rd there is no way they will allow football matches to be played.  I can see this going on for 2 mths and the season will end early July.  Euros then moved to 2021 and the new season starting in October.

With the greatest of respect, I think you're confusing decisions taken by UK government, with decisions taken by Football management.

The latest government advice (given on 12 March), was that schools wouldn't be closed & that mass gatherings (sport, Glastonbury etc) can go ahead.

It's football governing bodies that have suspended the competition, with an anticipated resume date of 3 April.

As you say, from information in the public domain, it's difficult to see that the health crisis will have peaked by 3 April, & therefore a resumption in the format that we are used to is unlikely.
As others have said, it's more likely that the footballing authorities are using the period to 3 April to work out a contingency plan.

IMO it's still the intention to complete the season with a deadline of 30th June, but it's a moving target, & there's a lot of "what ifs" to consider.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

One option is that being floated in Germany. No relegation from the prem, but the top 2 go up. Thw  5 get relegated next season.

I'd be gutted if we ended up in a play off with the 8th placed club.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

That's mad as the teams that were due to go down receive extra revenue they should not have.

Just play the remaining games behind close doors and give us some money off next year's shirts/season ticket

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Is our club donating any food that has already been prepared for private boxes to the local homeless yet?
I notice that villa and Brighton have done fair play say I.