Author Topic: What happens if we stay down  (Read 20683 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: What happens if we stay down
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »
But, as you say, you have money.  You can also make good decisions and sign quality players. 

I agree it would be a large rebuild either way, but I would much rather do that in the Prem with cash, than in the Championship with dwindling income and a tight chairman. 

If we did go up I would see us being back to the yoyo years for a while.  A gradual improvement until we get a bit of a foothold.  It's the only way to do it unless your chairman spends a LOT of money and that's never going to happen.

Just hope that if we stay down and end up struggling those fans who wanted "anyone but Pulis" will be happy.

My point is that the challenge is similar regardless of which division we are in. However the trap that opens up in the Premier League that isn't open in the Championship is that we  use some of the money to extend the contracts of Livermore, Dawson etc...  get relegated and find ourselves back in the Championship with the same core group of players 2 years older even less salable and struggling to bounce back at all.

With regard to Pulis this is as much his legacey as anybody elses. Personally had we stayed in the Premier League under Pulis I wouldn't have renewed my season ticket which is something I pretty much would have regarded as unthinkable before he graced our club. Did I want this particular outcome? Not really. Am I still glad that he has gone? Yes.  Have I renewed my season ticket? Hell yes.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2019, 12:32:47 PM »
It will all come down to who is willing to spend what we will ask

If we stay down
JRod 16m
Phillips 12m
Holgate
Gayle
Murphy
Montero
Tosin
Dawson 7m
Hegazi 9m
Will all be gone, don't think Gibbs (whilst good) has been prem quality this year and would assume Morrison will extend

Starting next season would look something like

Johnstone
NEW.        Bartley.   NEW.        Townsend

Edwards.    Livermore Johansen.   Brunt/NEW

NEW.     NEW

If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 12:46:49 PM »
God help us all.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
I’d be hoping for the youth to play, maybe something like;

Johnstone
NEW BARTLEY NEW GIBBS
PHILLIPS HARPER FIELD NEW
                  NEW
                 GAYLE(please)

Likes of O’Shea, Wilson, Edwards, leko, maybe even Rogers being utilised as understudies.

OUTS;
Rondon
Jrod
Dawson
Hegazi
Livermore
Nyom
Try and get 50+million and reinvest in young players. I’d love josh brownhill from Bristol city, we need some energy and pace in the side.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
I'd desperately like to keep Hegazi, Rodriguez and Johansen (sign him) and build around that spine.

Whether or not that'd be possible no-one knows, there will be constant speculation but no-one really knows who will stay / go.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
I think any player we can get decent money for will go, a few players who’s contracts are up and no one else wants we will keep to maintain numbers, along with others still under contract we would prefer to part company with, but that no one else wants.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »
Fulham have just activated another year in johansens contract

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2019, 02:09:26 PM »
2 non British players in the squad shows our scouting policy 😂

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
Fulham have just activated another year in johansens contract

I can't see that anywhere, not saying you are wrong. Would make sense on their side of course.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
I can't see that anywhere, not saying you are wrong. Would make sense on their side of course.

I found this, not sure how reliable the site is, but seems authentic and Johansen has had his contract extended

“Fulham chairman Shahid Khan announces four contract extensions ahead of Newcastle clash”

Source: https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/fulham-chairman-shahid-khan-announces-16262765
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »
Thanks for that, makes sense for them

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
My point is that the challenge is similar regardless of which division we are in. However the trap that opens up in the Premier League that isn't open in the Championship is that we  use some of the money to extend the contracts of Livermore, Dawson etc...  get relegated and find ourselves back in the Championship with the same core group of players 2 years older even less salable and struggling to bounce back at all.

With regard to Pulis this is as much his legacey as anybody elses. Personally had we stayed in the Premier League under Pulis I wouldn't have renewed my season ticket which is something I pretty much would have regarded as unthinkable before he graced our club. Did I want this particular outcome? Not really. Am I still glad that he has gone? Yes.  Have I renewed my season ticket? Hell yes.

My understanding is that when Pulis came in we ripped up our structure and scouting system which had done a decent job in the past and bought the typical short term British players that might provide short term benefit in a Pulis team but ultimately do nothing for the long term of the club.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »
It will all come down to who is willing to spend what we will ask

If we stay down
JRod 16m
Phillips 12m
Holgate
Gayle
Murphy
Montero
Tosin
Dawson 7m
Hegazi 9m
Will all be gone, don't think Gibbs (whilst good) has been prem quality this year and would assume Morrison will extend

Starting next season would look something like

Johnstone
NEW.        Bartley.   NEW.        Townsend

Edwards.    Livermore Johansen.   Brunt/NEW

NEW.     NEW

We will still have Sam Field and Barry has said he wants to play another season. I'm not sure but isn't HRK under contract for next season?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:18:37 PM by Nice1Cyrille »

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2019, 04:16:31 PM »
I think a bigger problem if we stay down and losing half the team is attracting a new manager. Who would want to take on the Albion job with the owner and board we have and then losing any talent we have. Have a feeling Appleton will be stepping up.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »
I think a bigger problem if we stay down and losing half the team is attracting a new manager. Who would want to take on the Albion job with the owner and board we have and then losing any talent we have. Have a feeling Appleton will be stepping up.
He was talking to Shan and then we lost...It doesn't bode well for us.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
I think we'd have a big clear out, basically try as much as possible to get our top earners out of the club, whether that's selling them or releasing them. Then financially we would be better off.

The problem would then be trying to be competitive with a much smaller budget which would be very, very difficult but Sheffield United/Norwich proved it is possible.

Basically a massive change. Usually transfers aren't that monumental in terms of slow but steady change - a lot of people usually exaggerate clear-outs etc, but I think this time it genuinely would be one.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
My understanding is that when Pulis came in we ripped up our structure and scouting system which had done a decent job in the past and bought the typical short term British players that might provide short term benefit in a Pulis team but ultimately do nothing for the long term of the club.
Your understanding looks spot on to me. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »

We had no choice, and it had already had so much damage done to it by Garlick, Irvine, McDonough, Burton etc etc etc it wasn't fit for purpose any way.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
Plus Rondon and Burke of course.
If all these leave the club we should bring in something approaching 100 million pounds. If just half of that is used to buy good foreign or championship players plus our talented youngsters perhaps the future isn’t too gloomy. The right appointment of a manager is a must, I would like Potter. This close season is so vital for the clubs future.

As I have said on the next manager thread, why would Potter leave Swansea for a club no more likely to go up than his present club, especially one with no ambition, money or direction
The same applies to the Bristol City manager.
Just because we were recently in the Premier League doesn't mean these managers will come as soon as we call
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2019, 07:49:20 PM »
As I have said on the next manager thread, why would Potter leave Swansea for a club no more likely to go up than his present club, especially one with no ambition, money or direction
The same applies to the Bristol City manager.
Just because we were recently in the Premier League doesn't mean these managers will come as soon as we call

Swansea are a basket case. His approach this season has not been by design. He's had no choice.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »

We had no choice, and it had already had so much damage done to it by Garlick, Irvine, McDonough, Burton etc etc etc it wasn't fit for purpose any way.
Of course we had a choice. More than one in fact.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »

Swansea are a basket case. His approach this season has not been by design. He's had no choice.
Apparently choice is in short supply generally

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »
Of course we had a choice. More than one in fact.

If we wanted Pulis, which we did (and was absolutely needed) we had no choice. We'd have gone down with virtually any other appointment after an abysmal summers recruitment.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2019, 08:15:47 PM »
If we stay down :

Negatives :
A battle to stay in the division
Surely we have more than enough even with a few changes to stay in the championship?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2019, 08:27:42 PM »
Surely we have more than enough even with a few changes to stay in the championship?

I think we'll be really struggling next year, IF Lai pulls the plug, ie. We don't spend the transfer fees we receive.

All 6 loanees will be returned. Despite what we think of them as players, Dawson, Rodriguez, Livermore, Gibbs and Hegazi won't fancy another year in the Championship. That's 11. Harper looks unlikely to re-sign, we'd be mad to offer Barry a new deal. Hollahan and Mears will also depart, that's 15.

That's a spine next year of Johnstone, Bartley, Field, Brunt and Kanu.

We're in big trouble if the next few weeks don't go our way, starting Tuesday.