Author Topic: 18 Aug 2023 Leeds United 1 Albion 1  (Read 17128 times)

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2023, 10:14:03 PM »
Great result. Carlos a genius keeping us from certain relegation

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2023, 10:15:16 PM »
Excellent point tonight. Keeper and Phillips stood out. Pieters at fault for the goal but they dug in and finished the game well. Leeds have better players and didn’t beat us. Given all of our problems I am very pleased with outcome. Molumby, despite a very good work rate, is a poor footballer but options are very limited.
Inclined to agree. We are in more mess than most and we are holding our own so far.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2023, 10:15:22 PM »
I thought we rode our luck and were lucky to get a point to be honest. I don't like the way we set up to begin with. It was pretty much a 361 and the balance looked all wrong. That deflected shot that hit the post goes in on another day and we're behind at the break. We offered no threat going forward and we looked disorganised at times at the back and our central midfield two Molumby and Yokuslu did not look comfortable doing what they'd been asked to do. Okay is a sitter and Jay is box to box.

We made a slight tactical change at half time with Wallace moving closer to BTA and we started the second half well but once we scored we really struggled to get forward again till stoppage time.

A point at Leeds is never a bad result but I'm not feeling convinced with this team at the moment nor, to be honest, Carlos Corberan.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2023, 10:18:02 PM »
The Leeds goal, on first thought pieters had to do better. However now I’ve seen it more, it’s quite a tough ball to defend. He has to take two steps over and doesn’t have the best stance to leap.

Not saying he shouldn’t do better, but it’s not as easy as just shouting at him to jump

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2023, 10:22:33 PM »
So all on all we rode some luck and Palmer pulls off a couple of great saves but that’s why he’s there and when you go to Leeds you’re going to need to call on your keeper and probably a bit of luck too.

Molumby and Okay were poor first half but much better second.

Phillips and Palmer good all game. BTA toiled and tried but with little end product, same with Wallace and Swift.

Negatives for me are the entire back 4. They give me no confidence. I’d hope to see Townsend and Bartley in (can’t believe I’m saying that) and a new right back. We can but hope.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

CorbyBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2023, 10:24:26 PM »
I’ve never understood the commentators ‘he shouldn’t be on the pitch, that should be two yellows’. I’d like to think if he’d been (rightly) booked for the handball then he’d have had the intelligence not to commit the second one.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2023, 10:26:36 PM »
I thought we rode our luck and were lucky to get a point to be honest. I don't like the way we set up to begin with. It was pretty much a 361 and the balance looked all wrong. That deflected shot that hit the post goes in on another day and we're behind at the break. We offered no threat going forward and we looked disorganised at times at the back and our central midfield two Molumby and Yokuslu did not look comfortable doing what they'd been asked to do. Okay is a sitter and Jay is box to box.

We made a slight tactical change at half time with Wallace moving closer to BTA and we started the second half well but once we scored we really struggled to get forward again till stoppage time.

A point at Leeds is never a bad result but I'm not feeling convinced with this team at the moment nor, to be honest, Carlos Corberan.

I'm not convinced at all with the team but I'm genuinely not sure how much more the manager can get out of them? Not as bad as bottom under Bruce, not as good as top two form from CCs first few months.  Lots of average.  What are you expecting?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2023, 10:26:42 PM »
If we all take a step back forgetting what we thought of the perforemance, which can improve, a draw away at Leeds is a great result.
Well done CC.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2023, 10:26:53 PM »
I’ve never understood the commentators ‘he shouldn’t be on the pitch, that should be two yellows’. I’d like to think if he’d been (rightly) booked for the handball then he’d have had the intelligence not to commit the second one.

True, the one in between wasn’t a booking either but they seem set on saying he should have had three yellows

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2023, 10:28:58 PM »
I'm not convinced at all with the team but I'm genuinely not sure how much more the manager can get out of them? Not as bad as bottom under Bruce, not as good as top two form from CCs first few months.  Lots of average.  What are you expecting?

I'm expecting him to ask the players to do what suits them and set up accordingly.

It's not a Bruce v Corberan thing. The world is full of head coaches.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2023, 10:29:58 PM »
Good for morale

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2023, 10:31:16 PM »
I will take a lucky point away from home anytime.  ;)
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2023, 10:34:18 PM »
I'm expecting him to ask the players to do what suits them and set up accordingly.

It's not a Bruce v Corberan thing. The world is full of head coaches.

Sorry, didn't mean to bring Bruce back into frame.  Just a way of saying this is a pretty average bunch of players as shown over the fullness of last season.  We have weakness at CB, zero competition at FB, and need Maja to fill the CF spot.  Our high earners in Swift and Wallace just arn't impacting, and Yok looked off the pace today and that hurts us as he is one of our few quality players.  Worked hard and were organised, that's the manager.  He does accumulate points. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 10:40:08 PM by Oldbury24 »

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2023, 10:39:20 PM »
Great point, really, against a promotion favourite

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2023, 10:40:38 PM »
The Leeds goal, on first thought pieters had to do better. However now I’ve seen it more, it’s quite a tough ball to defend. He has to take two steps over and doesn’t have the best stance to leap.

Not saying he shouldn’t do better, but it’s not as easy as just shouting at him to jump

Don't think it's Pieters jumping or not. he should have made it difficult for Ayling to jump
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2023, 10:42:13 PM »
Don't think it's Pieters jumping or not. he should have made it difficult for Ayling to jump

He should have done more, but when a ball is pretty much perfectly on a jump of a player running at speed, that’s hard from basically a standstill

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2023, 10:43:44 PM »
What about Palmer? He was excellent. I'd say Phillips was our best outfield player, followed by Kipre who did really well too.
your opinion mate but Kipre is one of the worst defenders i have ever seen in an Albion shirt.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2023, 10:55:23 PM »
your opinion mate but Kipre is one of the worst defenders i have ever seen in an Albion shirt.
You aye seen many defenders in a Albion shirt then.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #318 on: August 18, 2023, 11:01:13 PM »
He really isn’t

There’s a lot wrong at the moment and the boardroom financial stuff is masking the failures of the manager and team

You can literally list the players that have got worse under Corberan
You can visibly see that they are almost to a man shattered and you can just as easily lost the ones that he will persist with despite them not being good enough ,whereas players who are better and care like TGH get frozen out ..

It’s taken this long for him to drop Townsend
How long for furlong ??
Swift has regressed
Wallace has too
Yokuslu is getting worse every game
Kipre/Semi/pieters all look nervous

But it’ll probably be Lai
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2023, 11:05:19 PM »
My wife just said to me.... Why, when the Albion have just scored, do they retreat?
Basically... When we have the advantage, why do we back off?
Best form of defence is attack. Keep them pinned in their own half by their own goal.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #320 on: August 18, 2023, 11:09:38 PM »
My wife just said to me.... Why, when the Albion have just scored, do they retreat?
Basically... When we have the advantage, why do we back off?
Best form of defence is attack. Keep them pinned in their own half by their own goal.
Easier said then done. One ball over the top from the defending team can leave you wide open.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #321 on: August 18, 2023, 11:20:07 PM »
He should have done more, but when a ball is pretty much perfectly on a jump of a player running at speed, that’s hard from basically a standstill

A good defender attacks the ball though and makes himself not stood still.

Not sure if it's because Pieters is a poor defender or because he's ageing, either way he's culpable.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #322 on: August 18, 2023, 11:21:31 PM »

Yeah this really winds me up. Gives them something to talk about after the game though I suppose because they don't have the intelligence to analyse the actual play.

Having said that the one player who is stupid enough to commit the second one is probably Molumby  :D

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2023, 11:32:47 PM »
Swansea player Darling against us last week??
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AbbeymeadBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2023, 11:34:14 PM »
I'm pleased with the point. But my son isn't. He felt if the subs were made a couple of minutes earlier then the flow would have been disrupted and we could have bossed a tiring leeds earlier.