Author Topic: Carlos Corberan  (Read 265325 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Carlos Corberan
« Reply #2725 on: April 27, 2024, 05:56:46 PM »
You got me  ;D I usually do though !
I know you do, there's only been about 20 posts all week, not just the players on the beach.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2726 on: April 27, 2024, 05:58:51 PM »
Much that I rate him as a manager he is definitely not beyond criticism. His selections and tactics at times are very negative. Worse still he doesn’t seem to be able to motivate our players when they need to stand up and be counted. For me he has to get a win next Saturday although I don’t expect to overcome better sides in the playoffs. I think everything is up for question in the summer including whether he can take us forwards as a team. Personally I like him and hope he’ll be successful but I want better football.

The concern I have held and fuel is being added to the fire on this  is that he will panic and make changes trying to continually fix things . I’ve nothing against M’Vila but he’s this seasons version of Tyrone Mears and  has ended up replacing Mowatt who has been one of our consistent performers .

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2727 on: April 27, 2024, 05:59:12 PM »
At the start of the season many including me were very sceptical of how we were going to fare this season! I'm sure the majority of us feared for our future. I think most of us know we are not good enough for promotion with ageing players etc. I think it's fair to say we've over achieved from what we expected and in reality we'll be in the playoffs with a punchers chance, although I'd be seriously concerned if we got up, massive investment needed!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2728 on: April 27, 2024, 06:02:31 PM »
The concern I have held and fuel is being added to the fire on this  is that he will panic and make changes trying to continually fix things . I’ve nothing against M’Vila but he’s this seasons version of Tyrone Mears and  has ended up replacing Mowatt who has been one of our consistent performers .
Maybe something happened off the pitch we arne't privy to everything that happens, oh dear look atme speculating  ;)

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2729 on: April 27, 2024, 06:06:58 PM »
At the start of the season many including me were very sceptical of how we were going to fare this season! I'm sure the majority of us feared for our future. I think most of us know we are not good enough for promotion with ageing players etc. I think it's fair to say we've over achieved from what we expected and in reality we'll be in the playoffs with a punchers chance, although I'd be seriously concerned if we got up, massive investment needed!

I don’t agree ,if we don’t make the playoffs the season has been a failure

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2730 on: April 27, 2024, 06:07:44 PM »
Maybe something happened off the pitch we arne't privy to everything that happens, oh dear look atme speculating  ;)

I didn't like the fact that Mowatt didn't start but when he came on, he didn't seem to exactly be running at his maximum. You never know how players are behind the scenes - perhaps there was a niggle?

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2731 on: April 27, 2024, 06:08:30 PM »
I have had reservations about CC for some time and not convinced to be honest. My biggest gripe is he won't utilise younnger players other than Fellows who even he gets dropped frequently. Then there is this lethargic build-up play approach that opposition teams can generally counter easily.

Today, he started with six players aged 30+, the youngest player being MJ at 25. He generally uses a squad of 25 players whose average age is just over 28. 10 of these players are over 30. I doubt any other team in the Championship have squads as old as ours.

Let's totally disregard that he has spent nowt and had players like NC foisted upon him, then tried to get rid of him but even the mighty Israeli football scene didn't want this former England international now supposed to be in his prime (age wise).

Then because he has so little faith in him and realises his brilliant mf general cannot last a 50 game season he resorts to look for scraps on the freebie market and hopes YM is the same player who he had when he was 2 years younger.

He's cup runneth over and he definitely should be blamed for this very predictable collapse.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2732 on: April 27, 2024, 06:11:07 PM »
Maybe he's rotating the squad so that some of our best players are refreshed and ready for the play offs (or Preston if required). That would be intelligent and good management in my eyes.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2733 on: April 27, 2024, 06:14:25 PM »
Let's totally disregard that he has spent nowt and had players like NC foisted upon him, then tried to get rid of him but even the mighty Israeli football scene didn't want this former England international now supposed to be in his prime (age wise).

Then because he has so little faith in him and realises his brilliant mf general cannot last a 50 game season he resorts to look for scraps on the freebie market and hopes YM is the same player who he had when he was 2 years younger.

He's cup runneth over and he definitely should be blamed for this very predictable collapse.

That made me smile

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2734 on: April 27, 2024, 06:21:09 PM »
Yes, very true. Only Kipre and Diangana are close to Premier League standard.

Palmer, Bartley, Townsend, Johnstone etc are all rubbish. Do you agree?

I don’t like calling them rubbish but they are not premier league standard. Kipre, yes and Yokuslu on his day but not much else. And that is why I am loathe to blame the manager.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2735 on: April 27, 2024, 07:19:21 PM »
My issue with CC is it seems, and correct me if I'm wrong statistically, that we start games off so poorly. I don't know why that is? Is it a lack of motivation, poor tactics...? Either way its down to the manager for me.

At the start of the season I believed we would be fighting relegation but that was because I genuinely thought we'd be selling the top earners. By all accounts we have the 5th biggest wage bill in the division so finishing any lower than 5th is underachieving.

Circumstances such as not having a fit striker for most of the season is an issue and we've been very unlucky on that front.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2736 on: April 27, 2024, 07:26:23 PM »
My issue with CC is it seems, and correct me if I'm wrong statistically, that we start games off so poorly. I don't know why that is? Is it a lack of motivation, poor tactics...? Either way its down to the manager for me.

At the start of the season I believed we would be fighting relegation but that was because I genuinely thought we'd be selling the top earners. By all accounts we have the 5th biggest wage bill in the division so finishing any lower than 5th is underachieving.

Circumstances such as not having a fit striker for most of the season is an issue and we've been very unlucky on that front.

Over the majority of the last 10 games or so it feels like we have to let at least 1 in before he will implement change, sadly our statistic of winning 1 game from behind means this approach is totally rubbish.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2737 on: April 27, 2024, 07:36:44 PM »
We’ve been much worse since we’ve had close to a full squad to chose from. When down to the bare bones CC couldn’t tinker as much and we seemed more settled. I don’t think he knows his best side and continues to select out of form players.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2738 on: April 27, 2024, 07:37:35 PM »
We’ve been much worse since we’ve had close to a full squad to chose from. When down to the bare bones CC couldn’t tinker as much and we seemed more settled. I don’t think he knows his best side and continues to select out of form players.

He is struggling since the return of a lot of players. Odd for me.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2739 on: April 27, 2024, 07:47:48 PM »
I said it a few weeks back...Corberan has historically struggled with us at the end of the season especially against cynical defensive sides or those fighting for survival. My take on it was that we would at least get a point each against Watford or Sunderland and the same against Preston which would see us safe. It turns out that this was upended when BTA got sent off. However, we can still go up vs. Preston who have nothing to play for.

In other words I don't think much has changed. However, it is very nervy if Hull win today.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2740 on: April 27, 2024, 07:59:05 PM »
It's becoming a real issue. Said it in M'Vila's thread, but we're pretty unique at this level as a club in constantly needing to sign all these old players to fill in minor squad roles rather than just trusting some academy players to do some minor roles.

It's not like the academy players need to even be good enough for this level, they just need to be able to take on some minutes. Would we really be worse off if say Caleb Taylor who's at minimum a very good league one centre back had taken the minutes we gave to Pieters this season for example?

If we are in the Championship next season, our finances will likely dictate that we will have to utilise the youth. I agree with the sentiment although in the example you've given, I think Pieters was viewed as an option for a left sided centre back in a back three so can see the slight difference between him and Taylor.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2741 on: April 27, 2024, 08:24:06 PM »
I've defended him in the past and i will still maintain he is the one to take us forward but he got so much wrong today.

I can understand going with Wallace after the Leicester game but by half time everyone could see it wasn't working but the change wasn't made until the game was pretty much done. Mowatt not starting for me was criminal, arguably along with Kipre our Player of the season and i am not convinced with M'Vila at all. Fellows starts all day for me over Phillips too.

I don't know if i am making this up either and the stats don't back it up but i feel like every time a team plays with 3 centre halves we just always seem to struggle. Like i say i am still sure he is the person to take us forward and i have given him a lot of credit for where we are considering some of the circumstances he has had to deal with but equally some of his decisions today were confusing to say the least.
Smethwick..

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2742 on: April 27, 2024, 08:58:52 PM »
What is difficult to fathom here?

He's managing players after a very energy zapping season.

The players he has aren't very good for what we are paying them and he has no striker worthy of the name.

Yet, he's got you 45 minutes from a po position.

We have no money, spent no money and he's kept us competitive.

Please get some perspective and try and remember what it was like under Bruce ( a seasoned manager with over a thousand games under his very big belt).

It really wasn't that long ago to forget.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2743 on: April 27, 2024, 09:38:01 PM »
Yes, very true. Only Kipre and Diangana are close to Premier League standard.

Palmer, Bartley, Townsend, Johnstone etc are all rubbish. Do you agree?
Neither Kipre or Diangana are anywhere near premier league standard. And Johnstone is definitely not rubbish. So i for one do not agree.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2744 on: April 27, 2024, 10:13:42 PM »

The players he has aren't very good for what we are paying them and he has no striker worthy of the name.

Please get some perspective and try and remember what it was like under Bruce ( a seasoned manager with over a thousand games under his very big belt).

Totally agree.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2745 on: April 27, 2024, 10:24:34 PM »

Absolutely. He's done exceptionally well in the circumstances. I'm sure the team against Preston will be much stronger and we will at least get the point we need to make the playoffs, which will be a result many if not most of us thought very unlikely at the beginning of the season

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2746 on: April 27, 2024, 10:25:18 PM »

Spot on
He took a Huddersfield town team to a play off final where they lost 1-0 with some dodgy officiating
That same Huddersfield team bar a few additions has today been relegated
Whatever happens Saturday I want Mr Patel to back Carlos and give him the tools to shape his own squad

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2747 on: April 27, 2024, 10:25:31 PM »

This just reads like something written by a fan who’s never ready any kind of coaching manual or even ready anything about the tactical aspect of football.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2748 on: April 27, 2024, 10:28:15 PM »
Spot on
He took a Huddersfield town team to a play off final where they lost 1-0 with some dodgy officiating
Whatever happens Saturday I want Mr Patel to back Carlos and give him the tools to shape his own squad
Spot on

Valerien Ismael took Barnsley to a play of semi final. That’s great he overachieved with a really average Huddersfield team but what you’re not understanding is you’ll never get promoted playing like that at WBA. We need a coach who is comfortable coaching a possession game as most teams will come to our place and defend in a low block. Where is the evidence in Corberan’s coaching career he can do that?

2 wins in 11 with Olympiakos.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2749 on: April 27, 2024, 10:29:44 PM »
Valerien Ismael took Barnsley to a play of semi final. That’s great he overachieved with a really average Huddersfield team but what you’re not understanding is you’ll never get promoted playing like that at WBA. We need a coach who is comfortable coaching a possession game as most teams will come to our place and defend in a low block. Where is the evidence in Corberan’s coaching career he can do that?

2 wins in 11 with Olympiakos.

Goodnight Pep