Author Topic: Daryl Dike  (Read 146371 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Daryl Dike
« Reply #1250 on: January 25, 2024, 03:05:17 PM »
It’s working for me this is Coxs quote
Heard one or two things. If I can 100pc confirm it I will report. Otherwise Carlos will speak on Fri

In other words he read it on a football forum somewhere and he's waiting for Dood to confirm it  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1251 on: January 25, 2024, 03:35:17 PM »
My lips are sealed until Gaz has read and confirmed !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1252 on: January 25, 2024, 04:01:05 PM »
Guys panic over! As of last night Dood said there was no news as far as he knew but that could have changed by now of course!

I checked WBA Twitter last night and saw his reply.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1253 on: January 25, 2024, 08:46:14 PM »
needs to score the winner Sunday

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1254 on: January 26, 2024, 07:55:09 AM »
needs to score the winner Sunday

Someone needs to score the winner for us on Sunday, I don't care who...an own goal would be great!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1255 on: January 26, 2024, 09:00:52 AM »
Someone needs to score the winner for us on Sunday, I don't care who...an own goal would be great!

A Curle type one from that rat Dawson would do for me.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1256 on: January 26, 2024, 02:24:38 PM »
I imagine with the news today he is out for a week or two, the remainer of the season will determine whether he has a future at Albion or not.

If he can stay injury free he would be worth gambling on next season, If he plays a few then misses a few til the end of his season, i think Carlos will let him go.

Nobody would buy him due to his injury record and the best we could probably get is loaning him somewhere and get part of his wages covered.

I imagine thats why we are bringing in another centre forward with Marshall supposedly playing, it would seem Carlos doesnt trust he can rely on Dike which based on his injury record is fair.

Dike has been so unlucky with the injuries and he seems a really good bloke, but part of the problem is whats happened now, after the type of injuries he has had and due to his physique, he is likely going to get a lot of pulls and strains, not his fault its just bad luck and consequence.

I hope he stays fit and proves a real asset, as much for himself as us but sadly i have my doubts.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1257 on: January 26, 2024, 02:33:10 PM »
I fear that his career in professional football is in doubt. I hope I’m wrong for his sake more than us but there comes a point where he has to make a decision. He’s young and I’m sure will have other options. I’m not sure how things work in terms of insurance etc and whether he’ll have financial security going forwards.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1258 on: January 26, 2024, 02:56:25 PM »
I fear that his career in professional football is in doubt. I hope I’m wrong for his sake more than us but there comes a point where he has to make a decision. He’s young and I’m sure will have other options. I’m not sure how things work in terms of insurance etc and whether he’ll have financial security going forwards.

Totally over the top if this is just a minor injury.  It happens. 

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1259 on: January 26, 2024, 02:58:02 PM »
I don’t think the news today changes anything based on it being a minor calf tweak. He was always likely to get something as he stepped up his work load and they are probably being extra carefulwith him. He’s probably petrified himself everytime he feels something.

We know his career is probably in the balance if he suffers a big one, but  It’ll be another significant muscle tear or ligament / tendon damage that’ll be the big concern.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1260 on: January 26, 2024, 03:16:42 PM »
Totally over the top if this is just a minor injury.  It happens.
I sincerely hope so. It just seems that he has one problem after another. The last injury really does take some coming back from. To play any sport at a professional level you need to be 100% fit for most of the time. I just fear that this may prove too much for Dike. I remember Bryan Robson breaking his leg (three times?) as a young player but breaks heal. The type of injury Dike has suffered is far more serious.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1261 on: January 26, 2024, 04:20:38 PM »
Given the amount we invested in him, as a club we can't afford to be writing off another striker. Which is more or less what we've done with Grant.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1262 on: January 26, 2024, 04:51:46 PM »
I sincerely hope so. It just seems that he has one problem after another. The last injury really does take some coming back from. To play any sport at a professional level you need to be 100% fit for most of the time. I just fear that this may prove too much for Dike. I remember Bryan Robson breaking his leg (three times?) as a young player but breaks heal. The type of injury Dike has suffered is far more serious.

Not meaning to contradict you but thought you might find this interesting…. I’ve heard numerous exfootballers on podcasts say  that players are rarely  100% fit. There’s always some sort of ache or pains but some are more able (and willing) at times to play through them.  Obviously Dikes not been able to play through his and not suggesting he could, but lots play regularly less than 100%
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 04:53:18 PM by johnny Cash »

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1263 on: January 26, 2024, 05:03:51 PM »

Not meaning to contradict you but thought you might find this interesting…. I’ve heard numerous exfootballers on podcasts say  that players are rarely  100% fit. There’s always some sort of ache or pains but some are more able (and willing) at times to play through them.  Obviously Dikes not been able to play through his and not suggesting he could, but lots play regularly less than 100%
I get your point. I suppose I just meant modern sports people are athletes and it’s difficult to play professional sport unless you can push yourself to the limit. I’m just not sure whether Dike will be able to do that. It’s whether he’s able to put enough into his game at this level without causing more injuries.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1264 on: January 26, 2024, 11:41:12 PM »
Given the amount we invested in him, as a club we can't afford to be writing off another striker. Which is more or less what we've done with Grant.

We still have 2 years left on the aforementioned Grant's contract...
O Albion we love you

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1265 on: January 27, 2024, 12:12:22 AM »
He is a waste of space,time and money,  as i said when we signed him. But as usual no one listened. 

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1266 on: January 27, 2024, 07:38:18 AM »
He is a waste of space,time and money,  as i said when we signed him. But as usual no one listened.
Are you referring to Dike now or Grant?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1267 on: January 27, 2024, 08:40:08 AM »

How would he have seemed a waste of space when we signed him? Great scoring record the previous season in the league we are in, no major injuries, doing well where he was playing?

I’m not arguing I’m just looking for you to quantify that statement and not the here and now - but when we signed him.

The lad has had two major injuries, if he’s got a minor setback I think it can be expected and a return has to be managed.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1268 on: January 27, 2024, 09:53:49 AM »
The reason no one listened was that you never said it. Not on this site anyway.  ;D

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1269 on: January 27, 2024, 09:58:56 AM »
Are you referring to Dike now or Grant?
Both

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1270 on: January 27, 2024, 10:12:07 AM »

I hate the way that our “fan base” turn on players for getting injured.  It’s an occupational hazard.  Some players are very unlucky.   But some of our “fans” soon get into the “waste of money” mode.  It’s embarrassing.  Anyone would think they get seriously injured deliberately!

Dike is clearly a young player with a great attitude and is extremely popular. Whilst injured he was turning up to every game.  I hear very good around the dressing room.  He must have gone through mental hell over the past two years.

There was a “fan” on X/Twitter last night absolutely laying into him.  A total b##### and I’m ashamed that the poster is amongst our fanbase.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 10:41:36 AM by Dexy »

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1271 on: January 27, 2024, 10:23:08 AM »

There’s no way anyone could say he was a waste of money when we signed him no one knew anything about him really. You could have just said it off the back nothing and it’s come true but that’s it.

Let me guess you always knew that Kipre would come good as well?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1272 on: January 27, 2024, 10:31:29 AM »
Guys argue your points by all means but stop the petty stuff, some of you are acting like children constantly.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1273 on: January 27, 2024, 10:45:00 AM »
Bit harsh , the only thing we had to go on was his Barnsley form which was decent . I thought at the time we paid too much but could get over that due to his young age , I'd have been more annoyed had he still been too heavy but to be fair he looks slimmer on this latest return.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1274 on: January 27, 2024, 12:33:08 PM »
I like Dike and really want him to do well, at the time I thought £7m made sense. He was what we needed and Had he stayed fit he may well have saved Ismael’s job.

However based on what I’ve seen, I think £7m was probably a couple of million too much even if he was able to say fit.  Fit he’d get goals at this level but i think it’s his level and I wouldn’t expect him to continue scoring at any where near the rate per minute he has to date  (a goal every 162 minutes in the championship which amounts to 25 a season).

Objectively it’s been a bad signing though based on how it’s panned out so far. Two games, out for 8 months, 45 minutes, out for 4 month, 20 games out 8 months. 2 games, hopefully only out for a week or so but how long before the next and for how long?   

It’s rare to see a fit Dike. I hope for our sake and his that he can over come these injuries and his game isn’t too badly affected