Author Topic: Claudio Yacob (Left, now at Nottm Forest)  (Read 325619 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Claudio Yacob
« Reply #1275 on: July 18, 2018, 09:54:01 AM »
He's 32, we can't complain about having an aging squad while also crying out that we've not offered an, already slow, 32 year old a new contract.

He's literally just turned 31 today!!

For the record id have kepty him on no problem at all, one of my favourites at the Albion and perfect for the season we have ahead
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1276 on: July 18, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
He would have been superb this season if we'd sat him in defensive midfield in a 4-3-2-1 formation with a couple of ball players alongside him.

When you compare his age to that of Gareth Barry he is a spring chicken so not sure what relevance age even has for a player who has never relied on pace.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1277 on: July 18, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »
Still not too late to sign him on again!!!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1278 on: July 18, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
Let it go guys he's gone and not coming back.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1279 on: July 18, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
I met him a couple of times,the first things he would say was how is your family,a top pro and a top man.
I would have preferred us to keep him but I think he wanted to go back home,but he was very happy with us and of course was never any trouble.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1280 on: July 18, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
I think if the fans would have had a chance to give him a proper goodbye there would be less negativity around it, same goes for GMac, it's a massive shame that these two who have been with us for the best part of our recent successful seasons didn't get a decent send off in my opinion

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: July 18, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
I think I read that Yacob was given permission to go home a little bit early but, stating the obvious, they can't be given a send off until they are officially released which came about 2 months later.

Agree it would be good if players like McAuley can come back and get some sort of reception just before kick-off...bit more tricky on the logistics with Yacob.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1282 on: July 19, 2018, 07:43:36 AM »
They could have had a proper send off had they played in the supposed testemonial that Brunty and Mozza were supposed to have last season and again this................

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1283 on: July 19, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
They could have had a proper send off had they played in the supposed testemonial that Brunty and Mozza were supposed to have last season and again this................

Not sure where you are getting the idea that it was supposed to be last season?
 E&S reported in January that Brunt and Morrison were looking at having a joint testimonial this pre-season. The article also states that it is the players responsibility to arrange it, so you can't  lay the blame for it's non happening at the clubs door.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/01/24/west-brom-duo-chris-brunt-and-james-morrison-begin-planning-for-joint-testimonial/

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1284 on: July 19, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »
Not sure where you are getting the idea that it was supposed to be last season?
 E&S reported in January that Brunt and Morrison were looking at having a joint testimonial this pre-season. The article also states that it is the players responsibility to arrange it, so you can't  lay the blame for it's non happening at the clubs door.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/01/24/west-brom-duo-chris-brunt-and-james-morrison-begin-planning-for-joint-testimonial/
Isn't that a bit like arranging your own surprise party?
Seems strange that they have to arrange something that honours loyal service to the club.

As for Yacob, we need to move on now. He was a great player, one I liked a lot, but, he is getting on, and we have plenty of contracted central midfielders, so it makes sense to trim the wage bill. Shame he won't get a proper send off as he was a real fan's favourite but I think the decision was the right one.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1285 on: July 19, 2018, 11:07:27 AM »
Isn't that a bit like arranging your own surprise party?
Seems strange that they have to arrange something that honours loyal service to the club.

As for Yacob, we need to move on now. He was a great player, one I liked a lot, but, he is getting on, and we have plenty of contracted central midfielders, so it makes sense to trim the wage bill. Shame he won't get a proper send off as he was a real fan's favourite but I think the decision was the right one.

Not really like arranging your own surprise party as there is no surprise element to it. I think it's up to the players as they receive all the money from them.

With regard to Yacob, I think we should have offered him another year/2 years as he only turned 31 yesterday and we don't have any other player that does what he does, but he only really works in a 4-2-3-1 or as the 1 in a 4-1-4-1, so I guess it depends on how DM wants us to set up.

Scruffy Stan

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1286 on: July 19, 2018, 12:54:25 PM »
Not really like arranging your own surprise party as there is no surprise element to it. I think it's up to the players as they receive all the money from them.

Perhaps their agents could arrange it and actually do something useful for their money (without skimming anything off the top of what the testimonial raises).

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1287 on: July 19, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

To be fair most of the games last season felt like testimonials at times!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1288 on: July 19, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »
Perhaps their agents could arrange it and actually do something useful for their money (without skimming anything off the top of what the testimonial raises).

Always remember Niall Quinn I think raising about £1m from his and donating the lot.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1289 on: July 19, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
Always remember Niall Quinn I think raising about £1m from his and donating the lot.
I believe most Premier (or ex) players donate to charity
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1290 on: July 19, 2018, 10:57:42 PM »
I believe most Premier (or ex) players donate to charity

Think Quinn was the original though and certainly set the trend.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1291 on: July 26, 2018, 08:58:44 PM »
was anyone aware that it was down to Yacob that he left the club?
just read this article and the last paragraph says this.

Claudio Yacob has not triggered an option to extend his contract, as reported elsewhere, but the club are planning to sit down and discuss a potential new deal with the Argentinian midfielder once the season finishes.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/09/salomon-rondon-could-leave-for-165m-once-west-brom-are-relegated/

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1292 on: July 26, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
was anyone aware that it was down to Yacob that he left the club?
just read this article and the last paragraph says this.

Claudio Yacob has not triggered an option to extend his contract, as reported elsewhere, but the club are planning to sit down and discuss a potential new deal with the Argentinian midfielder once the season finishes.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/04/09/salomon-rondon-could-leave-for-165m-once-west-brom-are-relegated/

That puts a whole new complexion on the situation if accurate.

Again, good luck for the future Claudio and thank you for playing such a vital role for us over the years
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1293 on: September 06, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
Signing for Forest today so we will get to see him at the Hawthorns one more time.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1294 on: September 06, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
Signing for Forest today so we will get to see him at the Hawthorns one more time.

I think he will prove to be a good bit of business.

At least we get to give him a proper send off.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1295 on: September 06, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
I was a big fan when he played for us. Did a good job and rarely let us down. He was however better suited to the Pulis style of play than the one we are developing now in my opinion. So personally I wish him well at Forest but do not regret that he no longer plays for Albion.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1296 on: September 06, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »
I was a big fan when he played for us. Did a good job and rarely let us down. He was however better suited to the Pulis style of play than the one we are developing now in my opinion. So personally I wish him well at Forest but do not regret that he no longer plays for Albion.
I think Yacob would be making a better fist of the central midfield position than Brunt is.

As it's been said that it was Yacob's decision to leave, I'd also assumed that he wanted to return home, so signing for Forest makes me wish we'd done more to keep him.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1297 on: September 06, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
Got to be all about money if he's going to forest,yet again short sightedness on the clubs behalf if we can't match forests offer,best of luck claudio

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1298 on: September 06, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
I think Yacob would be making a better fist of the central midfield position than Brunt is.

As it's been said that it was Yacob's decision to leave, I'd also assumed that he wanted to return home, so signing for Forest makes me wish we'd done more to keep him.

No chance he is way too slow and immobile to play in the system we now use. If he had an excellent range of passing he might get away with it but he hasn't. Good luck to him but he's surplus to requirements at the Albion. We've moved on.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1299 on: September 06, 2018, 01:38:13 PM »
If DM's statement of playing in different ways depending on the circumstances is correct, I can see there being times we would love to have  Yac in the squad, but then we have Field and Barry who can play that role (to a point) so  did Yac justify a wage and a place ? in hindsight probably not, but it will be good to be able to say Tara to the fella.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!