Author Topic: Louie Barry  (Read 91975 times)

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Louie Barry
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2019, 11:29:21 PM »
He only turned 16 in June so nearly a year younger than Rogers...not sure you'd expect anyone to play 1st team football at 15.

I meant if he stayed, i didn't mean he could have played last season.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2019, 12:23:02 AM »
Well if Barca want him, how would he not be starting for us within a couple of years? Which links to the other point you made. He may not have seen loads of players break through to the first team, but what happened to those that left? They aren't at big clubs.

We've had quite a few break through, especially the past season. If he's really that good you'd expect him to get game time.

Just because Barcelona want him doesn't mean the manager/coaches at West Brom are going to put their trust into him... come on, be real.

We had quite a few break through last season? We had a couple not quite a few... and those couple are a very very small number when you actually consider how many players are actually at the academy. They could be at our academy 10 years... doesn't mean they will be getting game time.

Like I said, you think any human with common sense is going to choose West Brom over barcelona? Not a chance and anyone who says otherwise is full of it.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2019, 01:10:40 AM »
Just because Barcelona want him doesn't mean the manager/coaches at West Brom are going to put their trust into him... come on, be real.

We had quite a few break through last season? We had a couple not quite a few... and those couple are a very very small number when you actually consider how many players are actually at the academy. They could be at our academy 10 years... doesn't mean they will be getting game time.

Like I said, you think any human with common sense is going to choose West Brom over barcelona? Not a chance and anyone who says otherwise is full of it.

Out of Barca managers and WBA managers, who would you trust more with regards use of talent? Slaven aside, I wouldn't have trusted any of them. However, they're not here anymore. My point was from the side of loyalty on Barry's part, I know it's not a perfect world.

And you're right, the amount of players who play for the first team compared to how many are taken on in the academy is very little. However, 4 making it through and getting first team action is bloody good going in one season.

Ok, let's talk common sense. You've been at WBA your whole life and no one big has come in for you. With no real explanation, Barca and some other big clubs make a move for you. Have you proved yourself at the top level? No. Are you a household name? No. Who are you MORE likely to get game time with? WBA or Barca? Think about the fact that if you're gifted now, how much more so will you be in 2 or 3 years when you've proven yourself at a team like WBA. Barca will still come knocking if you've really got the talent. Sign at 16 for two years, develop your skills and then at 18 you're a free agent. If there are no other offers, renew your contract. If there are offers then go.

You're not talking about common sense. You're talking about ego. Common sense means being sensible and choosing the best option for you. Ego is about ignoring all practicality and choosing the option that satisfies your own self importance regardless of outcome.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »
What about if the kid wants to expand his outlook on life,work abroad to broaden his horizans and learn another language?
Learn off top international players how to play,what could be better for him, my son had a years education in Wisconsin USA and travelled a lot all before he was 20 years old,with our blessing,it helped to make him the upstanding adult he is today.
Its not always about football,he just happens to be very good at a young age,best of luck to him I say.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
Barry will be absolutely 100% sure he can play for Barcelona.  If you're talking about common sense you'd say they are definitely in for him now against maybe they'll be in for him in 2 years.  You don't know what would happen in 2 years at Barcelona, maybe their youth set up changes, maybe with Brexit he wouldn't be allowed to play without a lot of red tape?  You're asking him to turn down an amazing offer for any footballer on the chance of something happening in a couple of years time.   

Why on earth would you pass this opportunity up?  What's the worst that could happen?  He spends 2-3 years there, doesn't make the cut, and comes back to the Championship\Prem?  An 18 year old, who is obviously decent, with 2 years experience playing at Barcelona?  He'd be snapped up.  What's the best that can happen?  He trains and plays with some of the most talented players on the planet and makes the cut at the biggest team in the world.  Tough decision.

As annoying as it is, you really can't blame the player for having his head turned by Barcelona.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2019, 09:33:50 AM »
Barry will be absolutely 100% sure he can play for Barcelona.  If you're talking about common sense you'd say they are definitely in for him now against maybe they'll be in for him in 2 years.  You don't know what would happen in 2 years at Barcelona, maybe their youth set up changes, maybe with Brexit he wouldn't be allowed to play without a lot of red tape?  You're asking him to turn down an amazing offer for any footballer on the chance of something happening in a couple of years time.   

Why on earth would you pass this opportunity up?  What's the worst that could happen?  He spends 2-3 years there, doesn't make the cut, and comes back to the Championship\Prem?  An 18 year old, who is obviously decent, with 2 years experience playing at Barcelona?  He'd be snapped up.  What's the best that can happen?  He trains and plays with some of the most talented players on the planet and makes the cut at the biggest team in the world.  Tough decision.

As annoying as it is, you really can't blame the player for having his head turned by Barcelona.
I don't know about being turned, it should be doing an Excorist!
Barcelona is an opportunity that doesn't even come for the very best English players. Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard etc. never got to go there. It's most likely a once in a lifetime chance and, if he was my boy, I'd carry him there on me shoulders!

MBWBA

• Junior Baggie

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »
He's just turned 16.

Not too sure how anyone can argue or blame the lad for leaving. The money he will make in the next 3 years at Barca will set him up for life. If he doesn't turn out to be good enough, then he will be released and at 19 he will easily find himself a championship club - whilst he has pretty secured his future. If it does work out then he gets a better contract there and chance at first team football at arguably the biggest club in the world.

If he stays here, our contract offer is nowhere near as good as the offer from PSG and Barca. The money here wouldn't 'secure' his future to the same level. He doesn't look physically ready to be playing first team football so he would remain in our academy for the next season and then probably looked to be loaned out when he's 17.

Some fans need to take their WBA tinted glasses off, the kid doesn't owe us nothing, I am not annoyed with him leaving for Barca/PSG, he will have people around him who are telling him how great he is all the time, the fact that two of the biggest clubs in Europe have come for him only confirms that. I would be more concerned if we were losing him to a local rival.

Personally I am more annoyed with how the system works. For someone who is considered one of the best young English talents, we are going to get pennies for him, that's what needs to be address by the footballing bodies and giving clubs like us more protection.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2019, 10:08:44 AM »
Imagine being 16 and going to bed as a registered player of a club few outside of your country have even heard of. Then imagine 24 hours later, laying your head down on your pillow knowing that your now part of a club that the whole world knows of. The kid must be buzzing, and rightfully so. Go forth young man, and live a life only a few will experience, regardless of how short it may be. I would’ve done it.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »
yes, good luck to the lad, would have loved to see him in our stripes but what an opportunity, I really hope it all goes well for him.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »
He's just turned 16.

Not too sure how anyone can argue or blame the lad for leaving. The money he will make in the next 3 years at Barca will set him up for life. If he doesn't turn out to be good enough, then he will be released and at 19 he will easily find himself a championship club - whilst he has pretty secured his future. If it does work out then he gets a better contract there and chance at first team football at arguably the biggest club in the world.

If he stays here, our contract offer is nowhere near as good as the offer from PSG and Barca. The money here wouldn't 'secure' his future to the same level. He doesn't look physically ready to be playing first team football so he would remain in our academy for the next season and then probably looked to be loaned out when he's 17.

Some fans need to take their WBA tinted glasses off, the kid doesn't owe us nothing, I am not annoyed with him leaving for Barca/PSG, he will have people around him who are telling him how great he is all the time, the fact that two of the biggest clubs in Europe have come for him only confirms that. I would be more concerned if we were losing him to a local rival.

Personally I am more annoyed with how the system works. For someone who is considered one of the best young English talents, we are going to get pennies for him, that's what needs to be address by the footballing bodies and giving clubs like us more protection.

Well said mate. At the end of the day, the way I see it is, any sportsperson has a limited amount of time in their career. Now that could be 30 years or it could 5 years. The point is, it's a job, no matter how much passion we have as fans it's a different world for the business end of it, which is what it really is at the end of the day? Now these players are really employees, as an employee, it's fair enough to go and look for a better job isn't it? Why is football any different? I guess because we're the passion side of the game not the business and we can't see it any other way, till we take our blue and white specs off.

I think there should be more done to protect younger academy players but the cut and throat of big money business will never do anything about it nor do they care. 

Gotta say all the best to the young lad, he must feel like a King at the moment.

Then again Adama Troare...
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »
He's just turned 16.

This is the problem with football today. He shouldn't be set for life by 19. He should be just starting his hard work to achieve targets, ready to enjoy a successful career. He shouldn't be thinking about what type of lamborghini he's going to buy. I coach, and the mentality of many kids now is "cash cash cash".

I genuinely don't begrudge players playing at the highest level they can reach, in fact I've worked with kids who have gone on to academies and it's amazing. But it takes time and hard work. At least, it used to. But saying that, many who leave for big clubs will not even make the bench in their time at the club.

Depression is rife is football, and grass roots clubs are often told they need to do more to combat loneliness and depression. But things like this do not help young players.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2019, 09:39:40 AM »
The trouble is the money is in the game.  If Barcelona don't pay youth players well, then other clubs will and Barcelona miss out.  Big clubs can't afford to miss out on top quality players.  The side effect of this is that young players can earn a lot of money (if he's under 16 it'll most likely be in a trust managed by someone else).  It's still just as hard work to make it as a professional footballer, it isn't easier because there's more money it.  It's just the days of catching the bus with your heroes are long gone. 

I have no problem with it, if the players weren't receiving the money it would be the chairman and board members.  At most places I've worked the staff who do the hard graft aren't the ones who paid the best.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2019, 02:10:11 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48950688

signed for Barcelona. What a day for him.

Cant blame him really.

Good luck to the kid.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
According to Sky, the club are annoyed with Barca because they've announced it before all the paperwork is completed.

Because that makes a difference in any of it... ::)

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »
According to Sky, the club are annoyed with Barca because they've announced it before all the paperwork is completed.

Because that makes a difference in any of it... ::)
Im not sure it should bother us that much, didn’t he in effect walk away without a contract so Barcelona wouldn’t really be Ealing with us other than paying the set amount.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
I have no problem with the kid leaving, bit I DO have a problem with the current system that allows clubs to steal players for virtually nothing. 10 years we have invested in this lad, and for what?? £235k. Was it worth it?? I know that JP got fed up with this happening over and over again and threatened to close the academy. Whats the point if these lads can go for a pittance?? Wheres the incentive?? It's the same for us when we steal kids form lower league teams. IUt's unfair on those teams too. The whole youth system needs looking at as before long teams outside the Premier League wont bother. And then who's going to feed the greed league??

bosh

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
If clubs are hoovering up youth players then there should be loaning limits. It has been mentioned but of course the big clubs are against it.

Eg didn't Chelsea and Man City have 40+ players on loan each last season. So pay compensation of 235k, then the club who gets the player on loan pays a loan fee and salary so it's a no lose situation.

7-10 loans out of a club regardless of age would put some kind of stop. If you can't develop your own talent in house then tough and don't expect other clubs to do it for you.

Pure fantasy I know but talent gets wasted and clubs lose out - apart from the big ones.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2019, 07:23:18 PM »
Good luck to him and his family. He is set for life.

Xpresso

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2019, 07:29:32 PM »
It's not all that straightforward to move to a new country, adjusting to a different climate and culture, while at the same time trying to make new friends and learn a new language, especially when you're only 16. This smacks to me as being parent driven, probably had their heads swayed by a range of inducements.
Barca spend vast sums on their youth system, with scouts based all over the world. He will go into a highly competitive environment, where it's easy to find yourself overwhelmed.
I don't envy the lad one bit. And we know from those who've already turned their backs on the Albion set up that it doesn't always work out, no matter how promising you are.
To me, the lad has been ill advised.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2019, 07:47:24 PM »
It's not all that straightforward to move to a new country, adjusting to a different climate and culture, while at the same time trying to make new friends and learn a new language, especially when you're only 16. This smacks to me as being parent driven, probably had their heads swayed by a range of inducements.
Barca spend vast sums on their youth system, with scouts based all over the world. He will go into a highly competitive environment, where it's easy to find yourself overwhelmed.
I don't envy the lad one bit. And we know from those who've already turned their backs on the Albion set up that it doesn't always work out, no matter how promising you are.
To me, the lad has been ill advised.

Ill advised , totally disagree mate. 95% of people within football from top to bottom cannot say no to Barcelona arguably the biggest club in the world. West Bromwich Albion don’t fall in that 5%. The advice would have been Barca are in for you one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, your lifestyle is going to be a million times better then it is in West Bromwich plus your probably going to earn a lot more money.

The kids gone from West Bromwich to Barcelona he has sprung up that ladder one millions steps. You can’t knock him

Are their actually Albion fans out there that think this young lad should have turned down Barcelona to stay and live in the West Midlands and play for us , really? The thought of even doing that is ridiculous

The issue isn’t him leaving and bettering himself in all aspects of live by a million percent it’s the club should get compensated a lot more then we have for putting all that hard work in
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 07:57:56 PM by wbarenno »

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
Good luck to the lad, hope he has a brilliant career, i would of done the same if i was him!

Although we cant do anything about the set compensation fee of £235k, i would be disappointed if somebody didnt ask the question about Barca coming to play at the Hawthorns next summer for a preseason friendly.

They have done it before, i think they played a few teams in Scotland and i would of worded it to them along the lines of you have robbed us one of europes top young talents, as a good will gesture bring a decent strength team over next summer with some of your big names (even if it wasnt all of them)

If we priced it right we would sell out, friendlies are rubbish but a game against probably the most glamorous club in the world would get a lot of interest, we would clear £250k profit so that compensates a bit more for the Louie Barry fee but for fans of a certain generation we will never get to see Albion play a club like Barca, imagine taking some kids upto the game and see some of the Barca stars, they would be hooked for life (on Barca as well as the Albion!)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2019, 05:07:19 PM »
Found this article on Barcablog

La Masia: Louie Barry (La Masia means The Fatm)

http://www.barcablog.com/2019/07/la-masia-louie-barry.html

Gooo luck Louie!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
Best of luck to him, trying to think how I would feel in his shoes at 16 - overwhelmed, excited, anxious, delighted, nervous, proud....

Hardly anyone from the UK gets this kind of opportunity and you can;t blame him for taking it. I wish him every success.

RE the fee, not his fault - rules need to change.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »
I find it really strange the amount of people gushing over him with well done best of luck etc etc but when Dawson wanted to leave last year to play premier league the abuse was no loyalty, money grabbing etc etc same with Foster. The double standards are staggering
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 06:55:25 PM by kirk »
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.