Author Topic: Jonathan Leko Joins Blues for Undisclosed Fee  (Read 143646 times)

OllieTheBaggie

• Newcomer

Jonathan Leko Joins Blues for Undisclosed Fee
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:18:11 AM »
Played a blinder last Saturday for a 17 year old on his debut, could be one of our answers to our need for wingers/pace next season :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:08:08 PM by MarkW »

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

Re: Jonathan Leko
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:52 AM »
TP thinks he is the new Bolasie thats a huge upgrade on what we have now and he plays both sides like Yala and he looked the part in the last game.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:20:51 AM »
The only positive to come from Saturday for me..... a solid performance with masses of potential. Genuinely got excited when he received the ball in a good position and the only Albion player that West Ham could not deal with. How much will we sell him for do you think? :(
MAGA!

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:10:58 AM »
He certainly did not look out of place, on top of the great runs, he did some good defensive work.
Baggie in Southampton

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
Hope to see him in our remaining games. We are seriously in need of some youth and pace.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:19 AM »
I would be very critical if TP did not use the opportunity to play him in the last two games.
Baggie in Southampton

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »
Age is irrelevant, he is a player the side is lacking. He is needed, regardless of his age.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
Hopefully we keep him in and around the first team rather than send him out on loan next season. I'd like to see him play against Bournemouth and Liverpool.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »
I would be very critical if TP did not use the opportunity to play him in the last two games.

Can't see that happening, now TP has pulled him from the England squad
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Looked strong too....big lad for a 17 yr old
Born and bred in Dudley

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »
He has probably learnt as much as he can from under 21 football so he needs to play competitive football to develop further, his full debut looked very promising. Will be interesting to see what we do with him next season as he needs proper games or he'll likely stagnate.

petjob

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Here we go again Mr Negative speaks and I quote from Mr Pulis
'Tony Pulis has been pleased with Jonathan Leko’s emergence, but claims English football is leaving young players with a lot to learn.

The Baggies boss admits Leko has got 'raw talent' but is concerned that under-21s football in this country is not competitive enough to prepare young players for the senior game'
Mr Pulis spent all this season talking down Saido and ended up with a none player it was either his fitness, state of mind due to Spurs and any number of problems.
What is the training ground for, what are the coaches for.
Mr Pulis please don't start raising negatives about Leko a few games and he will be up to speed and you only learn by playing.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
and hes saying that Leko will be involved in the last two competitive premier league games
premier league experience or playing at a highest level as possible is vital to any young footballer in order to fully develop that's what he is saying
why start slating pulis without looking at what hes actually saying
What has he said that you would disagree with
your the one being "Mr.Negative" here mate

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:54:42 AM »
Here we go again Mr Negative speaks and I quote from Mr Pulis
'Tony Pulis has been pleased with Jonathan Leko’s emergence, but claims English football is leaving young players with a lot to learn.

The Baggies boss admits Leko has got 'raw talent' but is concerned that under-21s football in this country is not competitive enough to prepare young players for the senior game'
Mr Pulis spent all this season talking down Saido and ended up with a none player it was either his fitness, state of mind due to Spurs and any number of problems.
What is the training ground for, what are the coaches for.
Mr Pulis please don't start raising negatives about Leko a few games and he will be up to speed and you only learn by playing.

Pulis is right in what he is saying. Under 21 football does not prepare them for league football. He certainly wont be 'up to speed' in a few games

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »
Pulis is right in what he is saying. Under 21 football does not prepare them for league football. He certainly wont be 'up to speed' in a few games

Agree to an extent, but I'd add that U21 football doesn't prepare them for the kind of football Pulis would want his side playing in particular. Southampton for example seem to have bought through a least 5/6 high quality players in recent years who have gone straight from the U21 set up to the first team without any loan spells elsewhere and done well enough.

If Leko genuinely isn't ready to contribute in at least half our games next season we would be better off sending him on loan to a decent Championship club. However my worry is that he probably is of a level where he can add something as a squad player at least but will be sent out on loan or back to the U21's simply because he is 17

As a side note, apparently Leko is the first teenager to start a game for Pulis since before he took over at Stoke in 2006. Incredible if true. It's also a concern hat if true then Pulis has literally never worked with a player like Leko before. There's a good chance he has no idea how to integrate a promising youth team player and turn him in to a 1st team player. Just because he hasn't done it before it doesn't mean he an't but I cant help feeling Leko would have better chance of making it somewhere other than Albion as things stand.

Lastly I think it's fair to say Pulis one and only agenda is to keep us up and get 40 points. Even if he does stay with us next year it's obvious that unless he changes his approach, or he fans change their view of him he wont be here long term (3/4 years down the line) so with that in mind what's his motivation to develop Leko? I'm afraid we will still see plenty of players like McClean and Gardner ahead of him next year because Pulis knows what he will get from them when inevitably Leko will blow hot and cold.

Hopefully he can push on over the summer and cement himself around the 1st team. I dont expect to see him starting 30 games next season but would be great to see him involved from the start of next seaso and see how he goes from there.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »
I think Pulis has a point.  I would play him in the remaining matches, but a loan in the championship next year would be good for his development. Bringing him in too fast will do him no favours, and we could recall him from loan towards the end of the season.  I did enjoy watching him on Saturday (about the only thing I did enjoy), but we must be restrained as hard as that might be.  Would have loved him to score though!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 11:57:41 AM »
Replace the under 21 league & bring back the old Reserves league that could make it a more challenging & help them develop more quickly

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Replace the under 21 league & bring back the old Reserves league that could make it a more challenging & help them develop more quickly
been saying this for ages, english footy needs a reserve league desperately
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »
Played a blinder last Saturday for a 17 year old on his debut, could be one of our answers to our need for wingers/pace next season :)
I thought he did well on his full debut, and certainly threatened at times, but I think "played a blinder" is pushing it a bit.

It probably looked that way because the likes of Gardener and McClean are so pooh
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
I think Pulis has a point.  I would play him in the remaining matches, but a loan in the championship next year would be good for his development. Bringing him in too fast will do him no favours, and we could recall him from loan towards the end of the season.  I did enjoy watching him on Saturday (about the only thing I did enjoy), but we must be restrained as hard as that might be.  Would have loved him to score though!

Having watched him on Saturday alongside Gardner and McLean maybe it's the latter 2 we should be sending out to the Championship for development. He looked far more accomplished than those 2 have all season.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggiecarl

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
He certainly did not look out of place, on top of the great runs, he did some good defensive work.
He did not look out of place , however he certainly made other members of the team look out of place

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »
The kid has to start at Bournemouth. At 17 he is miles better than our other options on the wing.

If you're good enough you're old enough.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »
At 17 he is miles better than our other options on the wing.

In our side, this doesn't actually make him any good.

Not writing the lad off, I've never seen him play. Merely attempting to make light of how utterly turgid and depressing we are.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
In our side, this doesn't actually make him any good.

Not writing the lad off, I've never seen him play. Merely attempting to make light of how utterly turgid and depressing we are.

Yes but we've stayed up and we won't do a Leeds!  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 04:10:50 PM »
Keep him in the squad he seems an exiting young player,why send him to a champ' club,let's use him in the team and rest him when necessary.
He seems a strapping lad well capable,a star in the making let us enjoy him he also seems level headed.
What's the point of us coaching him to this level and then farming him out?
The academy is doing a good job,well done.