Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 269138 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #800 on: April 22, 2019, 05:38:54 PM »
I wonder why Miller thought he could get away with it? Boxing has a real problem dealing with drugs cheats. It needs to become a lot tougher with longer bans.
Boing Boing

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #801 on: April 22, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
Personally I think it’s hilarious after his Joshua drug comments

Whistling in the graveyard!. 10 years a pro and never fought a real contender.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #802 on: April 22, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »
I wonder why Miller thought he could get away with it? Boxing has a real problem dealing with drugs cheats. It needs to become a lot tougher with longer bans.

Very true. It would be interesting to know how many fighters are on Ped's. I would hazard a guess that 50% of the world's top boxers are doing them.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #803 on: April 22, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
Yes the Alvares ban was a complete joke...obviously because of his money making status. I assume Miller knew he had to try and get away with it against Joshua because he knew he had no chance if he didn't. very strong chance this was not the first time he's done it.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #804 on: June 02, 2019, 04:30:35 AM »
Anthony Joshua defeated in the 7th round by Andy Ruiz in a huge upset.

But things don't seem right, as AJ seems happy about it...

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #805 on: June 02, 2019, 06:03:22 AM »
So Andy Ruiz stops Anthony Joshua. No shock to me. Always said Joshua was over-rated. He has no chance against Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder. Too stiff, too slow, too immobile.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #806 on: June 02, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »
AJ is Frank Bruno in a former life.
What a strange fight,he was smiling in the ring when stopped,no guts and no will to win,very disappointing for an English boxing perspective.
Wilder is an overrated big mouth and Fury would beat Ruiz,Wilder and AJ.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #807 on: June 02, 2019, 11:41:48 AM »
Anthony Joshua defeated in the 7th round by Andy Ruiz in a huge upset.

But things don't seem right, as AJ seems happy about it...

Has made a lot of money under Eddie. Prehaps the hunger is not there anymore. Ruiz is not the mug people were making him out to be. Lets see if Wilder fights him.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #808 on: June 02, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
Has made a lot of money under Eddie. Prehaps the hunger is not there anymore. Ruiz is not the mug people were making him out to be. Lets see if Wilder fights him.

I looked at him after the fight and I didn't see what I used to see in him. I think you're right, the hunger and desire has gone.

It's Rocky 3 with a Brit and a Mexican  ;D

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #809 on: June 03, 2019, 08:44:16 PM »
Haven't seen the full fight yet but have seen the punches that mattered on Sky news. The punch that turned it in the third got Joshua in the temple area. Those punches tend to affect the balance and affect you more than a punch on the jaw.

Don't agree with the no guts and no will to win bit. There's evidence of the corner struggling to get instructions through to him and him asking questions in between rounds as though he didn't quite know where he was i.e. very probably concussed from the 3rd round onwards.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #810 on: June 04, 2019, 07:10:27 AM »
Something was wrong the AJ that entered the ring wasn't the AJ of old.
Read something on Sunday saying that Joshua had been sparked out by one of his sparing partners and hadn't got properly over it.
Also said that Joshua's dad had told Hearn before the fight that AJ shouldn't be boxing and Heran had said he would be fine once he got in the ring.
If you watch the after figh in the ring AJ'S dad is giving Hearn all sorts and AJ has to pull him away.
Conspiracy theories abound.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #811 on: June 04, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »
Something was wrong the AJ that entered the ring wasn't the AJ of old.
Read something on Sunday saying that Joshua had been sparked out by one of his sparing partners and hadn't got properly over it.
Also said that Joshua's dad had told Hearn before the fight that AJ shouldn't be boxing and Heran had said he would be fine once he got in the ring.
If you watch the after figh in the ring AJ'S dad is giving Hearn all sorts and AJ has to pull him away.
Conspiracy theories abound.

There often are when someone gets beat and there are nearly always excuses.

If Ruiz had stayed down when Joshua floored him no-one would've said a thing.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #812 on: June 04, 2019, 05:53:05 PM »

There often are when someone gets beat and there are nearly always excuses.

If Ruiz had stayed down when Joshua floored him no-one would've said a thing.

AJ and his team are denying the rumours so you can't really say they are making excuses.

Klitschko and Whyte are both a lot more powerful than ruiz, yet he dropped like a sack of spuds when ruiz hit him.

Don't think its fair for anyone to take away what Ruiz did, fairplay to the guy he got the job done but love or hate AJ, anyone could see something was wrong from the delayed ring entrance, to joshua looking uncomfortable during his walk to the ring and whilst he was in the ring before the fight right down to his fight and lack of jabs etc he was throwing to him not having a clue what to due during each break after each round.

Apparently he had concussion when he got knocked out in sparring and your not aloud to even step into the ring for so long after it. Who knows the truth but something doesn't seem right tbh.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #813 on: June 04, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
There have also been comments from the commentators out there about Joshua looking slow in the public workout...they passed it off as not giving much away / conserving energy at the time.
There may well have been something pre fight and the reaction of AJ's father suggests there was, but that right hand over the top to the temple in the 3rd is what made Joshua's legs go. I've seen several fighters get hit there, have balance issues and take a long time to recover in the fight, if they do.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #814 on: June 04, 2019, 09:14:59 PM »
AJ and his team are denying the rumours so you can't really say they are making excuses.

Klitschko and Whyte are both a lot more powerful than ruiz, yet he dropped like a sack of spuds when ruiz hit him.

Don't think its fair for anyone to take away what Ruiz did, fairplay to the guy he got the job done but love or hate AJ, anyone could see something was wrong from the delayed ring entrance, to joshua looking uncomfortable during his walk to the ring and whilst he was in the ring before the fight right down to his fight and lack of jabs etc he was throwing to him not having a clue what to due during each break after each round.

Apparently he had concussion when he got knocked out in sparring and your not aloud to even step into the ring for so long after it. Who knows the truth but something doesn't seem right tbh.

That has been denied. The bloke who was supposed to have dropped Joshua in training didn't even spar with him according to Hearn.

So much nonsense going round.

Joshua got caught on the temple that's what did the damage, nothing else. He never recovered properly and lost fair and square.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #815 on: June 04, 2019, 09:28:40 PM »

That has been denied. The bloke who was supposed to have dropped Joshua in training didn't even spar with him according to Hearn.

Joshua got caught on the temple that's what did the damage, nothing else. He never recovered properly and lost fair and square.
denying it doesn't make it not true though, as pointed out if they confirmed it and Joshua had a concussion and fought when he shouldn't there could be all types of issues coming at them. Better to deny and say it was a bad fight.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #816 on: June 05, 2019, 01:39:06 AM »

And you believe a word hearn says?

So explain the way Joshua was before the fight and up until the 3rd round when he got caught on the temple?

Not trying to make excuses for him, he got beat... but do you seriously think from the very start it was the same Joshua we have always seen?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #817 on: June 05, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
And you believe a word hearn says?

So explain the way Joshua was before the fight and up until the 3rd round when he got caught on the temple?

Not trying to make excuses for him, he got beat... but do you seriously think from the very start it was the same Joshua we have always seen?

I never believe what anybody says. As a follower of horse racing and boxing you pretty quickly learn to ignore quotes and reputations and the like, you learn to concentrate on facts and what your eyes tell you. If you don't do that you'd go broke pretty quickly backing racehorses.

To answer your question yes it was the same Joshua as usual. Joshua is what Joshua is. He's a big man, strong and athletic with a powerful punch and a good level of boxing ability. What he doesn't have is upper body movement, a particularly strong chin and despite his athleticism he  doesn't have the fastest hands neither is he exceptionally mobile in the ring.

Joshua's best win was probably against Dillian Whyte in hindsight. When he beat Klitschko (a fight that could've gone either way) Klitschko was 42 years old and clearly on the slide, yet that fight was competitive. Joshua struggled in the early rounds against Alexander Povetkin, a 39 year old who has been been banned for using performance enhancing drugs and since returning from that ban isn't the same fighter. It took him five rounds to get rid of David Price who has one of the worst chins in boxing above domestic level. Joshua's other notable win was against Joseph Parker, a clear yet uninspiring points decision.

Now people expected Joshua to easily beat Andy Ruiz but lets look properly at Ruiz's record.

Before the Joshua fight Ruiz had been beaten once in 32 professional fights. That one defeat came in 2016, a dubious points reversal against Joseph Parker. At the time Parker was an unbeaten, hyped up fighter that was always likely to get the benefit of the doubt if it came to scorecards. I watched that fight and I had Ruiz a clear winner, two or three rounds but the boxing world was talking of Joshua v Parker down the line and Parker got the decision. That decision should've gone Ruiz's way. Had it done he'd have been unbeaten in 32 pro fights to add to 105 wins as an amateur. This guy is a good fighter, underestimated by casual observers because he doesn't look the part. For a heavyweight he is comparatively small and he's fat. But he can fight.

Some of us have always said when Joshua comes up against a top fighter that can move or that can take his power and return it he's going to have a tough night. It came as no surprise that Ruiz with fast hands gave Joshua trouble.

If you'd asked me before the fight who would win this I'd have said probably Joshua on points but I'd have said it was a 60 / 40 fight because Joshua is the best fighter Ruiz has faced. Some people claiming this result is the biggest shock of the century are talking absolute rubbish. Jeff Horn beating Manny Pacquiao (just to give one obvious example) was a way, way, way bigger upset than this ever was. This result wasn't even a shock if you follow boxing closely. Maybe a surprise yes, because Joshua was the champion but some huge shock, no way.

Joshua was always likely to be troubled by hand speed. Saturday was not the first time, he was stopped as an amateur by a shorter, quick opponent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LqwBr9jcY&t=2s.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #818 on: June 05, 2019, 08:37:56 AM »
great summing up . Joshua is a physical unit but hes not fast, not a skilful boxer and doesn't have the raw knock out punch that wilder has. I think he will likely beat Ruiz next but I've always thought Fury is the best boxer around if he can keep his head together.

No surprise to me that Joshua was beaten,

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #819 on: June 05, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »
Joshua looked odd from the beginning, even before the fight when he was having that neck massage, he looked out of it to me.

The one thing I also found bizarre was the whole build up, with Joshua letting Ruiz hold the belts etc, after the fight Joshua smiling, didn't really look that bothered about losing the belts in all honesty.

Take nothing away from Ruiz, he took his chance and got the job done. I think Joshua will win the rematch.

I don't buy into the hype of Wilder either, I think Whyte beats him if that fight ever happens. Tyson Fury in my opinion beat Wilder and he hadn't really had a 'big' fight for how long. Wilder v Joshua would be an interesting fight but again I don't see it happening.

Joshua has always been built up as he generates a lot of money and they rolled with it. He probably did take his eye of the ball a little with the Ruiz fight and probably expected an 'easy' win. When he knocked him down in the 3rd he probably thought it was job done and he'd finish him off, fair play to Ruiz who came back and knocked Joshua down.

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #820 on: June 05, 2019, 09:49:20 AM »
Joshua looked odd from the beginning, even before the fight when he was having that neck massage, he looked out of it to me.

The one thing I also found bizarre was the whole build up, with Joshua letting Ruiz hold the belts etc, after the fight Joshua smiling, didn't really look that bothered about losing the belts in all honesty.

Personally, a lot of this seems consistent with the glimpses of Joshua I have seen. Unlike a lot of other boxers; he never seems to be comfortable doing the whole "I hate the other fighter" act, he going down and all that. Seems to have a quiet self confidence and just focuses on the boxing, the mechanics and the fitness. When compared to almost all other boxers actions (either acting or natural) it may come off a bit like he lacks the desire or the like but seems to be a bit of his genuine self which got him this far.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #821 on: June 05, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Personally, a lot of this seems consistent with the glimpses of Joshua I have seen. Unlike a lot of other boxers; he never seems to be comfortable doing the whole "I hate the other fighter" act, he going down and all that. Seems to have a quiet self confidence and just focuses on the boxing, the mechanics and the fitness. When compared to almost all other boxers actions (either acting or natural) it may come off a bit like he lacks the desire or the like but seems to be a bit of his genuine self which got him this far.

I agree with you in regards to him being respectful to his opponents and not entering into a war of words to try and sell the fight, but I can't for one second imagine him letting Whyte, Wilder, Fury etc stand on the stage and pose for pictures with his belts.

As I have said before though, take nothing away from Ruiz, he deserved to win that fight.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #822 on: June 05, 2019, 09:58:19 AM »

Take nothing away from Ruiz, he took his chance and got the job done. I think Joshua will win the rematch.

I don't buy into the hype of Wilder either, I think Whyte beats him if that fight ever happens. Tyson Fury in my opinion beat Wilder and he hadn't really had a 'big' fight for how long. Wilder v Joshua would be an interesting fight but again I don't see it happening.

Joshua has always been built up as he generates a lot of money and they rolled with it. He probably did take his eye of the ball a little with the Ruiz fight and probably expected an 'easy' win. When he knocked him down in the 3rd he probably thought it was job done and he'd finish him off, fair play to Ruiz who came back and knocked Joshua down.

Wilder looked horrendous against Fury. Fury made him look daft. Wilder just tried to wind up his right all the time, he just can't box.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #823 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »

Re Joshua's reaction after the fight....his worst nightmare had just happened, his reaction will have been a combination of shock, embarrassment, and he was probably concussed. I'm pretty sure he was very bothered by the outcome but how each individual reacts is an unknown.
Wilder - there are always excuses after fights but there was talk of him having over trained when he fought Fury and he said himself he loaded up the right hand too much. He looked in superb condition against Breazeale recently and looked very sharp, fast and powerful while it lasted. Wilder is a major threat to anyone including Fury in the rematch - but he can be wobbled if people can get to him.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #824 on: June 05, 2019, 09:43:14 PM »
Only a handful of times has Joshua gone into the ring against an opponent with genuine belief. On every occasion he has ended up in trouble. It's a shame as it's really effected his willingness to open up in the ring.

The too slow and too immobile comments are laughable. What he has been is incredibly over hyped. Ruiz went in there with belief and put him to bed. Amazing performance.

Joshua is an absolute athlete but against Klitschko he was truly shown up and that fight really changed my opinion of him as a boxer. I still think he will overhaul his backroom operation and comeback mind. People bang on about the power of Wilder, yes his KO record is phenomenal but AJ's isn't bad either. He's just not as flamboyant as Wilder.

Callum Smith meanwhile continues to show why he could go on to be as good as Joe Calzaghe in terms being a dominant undefeated British force. Animal.