Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 779151 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #1325 on: May 31, 2016, 02:38:35 PM »
Strange leaving out Townsend. No real pace and width , Townsend provides something different.

I would have left Lallana , doesn't do much.

I'd have left Rashford out. What is the point of taking him he isn't going to play and with Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Rooney we are very strong upfront. I agree Townsend would've given us a different option. I hope we don't regret not taking him.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1326 on: May 31, 2016, 02:41:29 PM »
As usual the names get in the squad over the form players - Jack Wheelchair and Henderson over Drinkwater is an absolute joke.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1327 on: May 31, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »
As usual the names get in the squad over the form players - Jack Wheelchair and Henderson over Drinkwater is an absolute joke.

Is it? I think both are far better players than Drinkwater.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1328 on: May 31, 2016, 02:53:48 PM »
Right move to leave Drinkwater out.

Wilshere and Henderson are not only better they also played key roles in a team that won every game in qualifying.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1329 on: May 31, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »

Henderson couldnt lace Drinkwaters boots. Drinkwater is a class above Henderson

Id have left out Sterling and Henderson
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1330 on: May 31, 2016, 03:23:12 PM »
Think the squad is fine. Wouldn't have taken Rashford as he just won't play similar to when Walcott went to the WC at 18.

Wilshere has been picked ahead of Drinkwater. Henderson/Milner/Dier were always going to go.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1331 on: May 31, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
Drinkwater for me isn't as good as people are making out. Kante made him look a lot better than he is in my opinion
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1332 on: May 31, 2016, 03:30:42 PM »

One of them played a key role in a team that won the league, the other two spent most of the season injured.

I know who I would take.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1333 on: May 31, 2016, 03:34:07 PM »
Right move to leave Drinkwater out.

Wilshere and Henderson are not only better they also played key roles in a team that won every game in qualifying.
Not half fit they aren't.
Hopefully they are both fully fit because if they break down (same applies to Sturridge) Roy could live to regret it.
All in all though, if all fully functioning, I think we have a good squad capable of having a very good Tournament.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1334 on: May 31, 2016, 03:46:25 PM »
One of them played a key role in a team that won the league, the other two spent most of the season injured.

I know who I would take.

Two of them played key roles in a team that won 10 consecutive games in qualifying. The other has played 2/3 games at international level.

Drinkwater has had a good season and deserves to be blooded into the side throughout the next qualifying campaign to see if he can cut it. A major tournament playing in the middle of midfield against some of the most experienced names in European football is not the time or place to find out he isn't good enough; if it goes wrong he may never recover and we could potentially lose an England international for future years. Just look what happened to Ryan Shawcross, and that was in a friendly albeit against Ibrahimovic.

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1335 on: May 31, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »
Two of them played key roles in a team that won 10 consecutive games in qualifying. The other has played 2/3 games at international level.

Drinkwater has had a good season and deserves to be blooded into the side throughout the next qualifying campaign to see if he can cut it. A major tournament playing in the middle of midfield against some of the most experienced names in European football is not the time or place to find out he isn't good enough; if it goes wrong he may never recover and we could potentially lose an England international for future years. Just look what happened to Ryan Shawcross, and that was in a friendly albeit against Ibrahimovic.

When was qualifying again? Mostly the season before last wasn't it?

If form counts for nothing we may as well call up Lampard, Gerrard and Ashley Cole while we're at it, they used to be decent.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1336 on: May 31, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »
When was qualifying again? Mostly the season before last wasn't it?

If form counts for nothing we may as well call up Lampard, Gerrard and Ashley Cole while we're at it, they used to be decent.

Hodgson has played a system throughout the qualifying campaign that he wants to take into the Euros. Wilshere featured and excelled in that system, to a lesser extent so did Henderson. It's a no brainer for the sake of 4/5 games in a major tournament you want players who have been there and done it to some degree before.

Drinkwater will be introduced during the WC Qualifiers, then we'll see if he's good enough/if he fits the way Hodgson wants to play.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1337 on: May 31, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
Hodgson has played a system throughout the qualifying campaign that he wants to take into the Euros. Wilshere featured and excelled in that system, to a lesser extent so did Henderson. It's a no brainer for the sake of 4/5 games in a major tournament you want players who have been there and done it to some degree before.

Drinkwater will be introduced during the WC Qualifiers, then we'll see if he's good enough/if he fits the way Hodgson wants to play.

hopefully hes gone by then
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1338 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:08 PM »

I'm more than happy for him to stay if I am honest, fancy us for the semis this time.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1339 on: May 31, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
Hodgson has done a great job and in my eyes he's the best England manager since Glenn Hoddle. I fancy us to go all the way, I can't see many teams who have the talented players we have.
the regime don't like it man

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1340 on: May 31, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »
I'm more than happy for him to stay if I am honest, fancy us for the semis this time.

Thats the bare minimum, anything else is failure. hes lucky he didnt get the boot after the shocking showing in Brazil

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1341 on: May 31, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »

I know who I would take.

Not really a key role is it. Vardy, Mahrez, and Kante were their key players then their back 4. He had a very specific and very limited job in that Leicester team that doesn't exist in this England team People who think all of Leicester's squad are suddenly world class are presumably the same type who were complaining when someone like Cleverley would get picked just for playing for Man U, even if they won the league. Both were wrong.

Wilshere's so much better, so much more talented than Drinkwater its not even funny. If Arsenal had the chance to swap Wilshere for Drinkwater do you actually think they would? Of course not. If he's not injured currently it makes absolutely no sense to not pick him. A lot of people let personal dislike of Wilshere cloud their judgement. Talent wise he's nearly unrivaled in that squad. The team doesn't lack for triers in midfield, it does lack for genuine quality on the ball in midfield that Wilshere offers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:46:50 PM by Dan »

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1342 on: May 31, 2016, 04:50:48 PM »
Not really a key role is it. Vardy, Mahrez, and Kante were their key players then their back 4. He had a very specific and very limited job in that Leicester team that doesn't exist in this England team People who think all of Leicester's squad are suddenly world class are presumably the same type who were complaining when someone like Cleverley would get picked just for playing for Man U, even if they won the league. Both were wrong.

Wilshere's so much better, so much more talented than Drinkwater its not even funny. If Arsenal had the chance to swap Wilshere for Drinkwater do you actually think they would? Of course not. If he's not injured currently it makes absolutely no sense to not pick him. A lot of people let personal dislike of Wilshere cloud their judgement. Talent wise he's nearly unrivaled in that squad. The team doesn't lack for triers in midfield, it does lack for genuine quality on the ball in midfield that Wilshere offers.

No they wouldn't, but the fact that they don't sign players that do the dirty work is why they haven't won the league for over a decade. You don't win the league with a team of Wilshere's.

Sometimes it's about the team rather than packing the team full of talented individuals and hoping for the best.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1343 on: May 31, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
Hodgson has done a great job and in my eyes he's the best England manager since Glenn Hoddle. I fancy us to go all the way, I can't see many teams who have the talented players we have.

Our defence is beyond poor unfortunately.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1344 on: May 31, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
No they wouldn't, but the fact that they don't sign players that do the dirty work is why they haven't won the league for over a decade. You don't win the league with a team of Wilshere's.

Sometimes it's about the team rather than packing the team full of talented individuals and hoping for the best.

If the team wants a hard worker willing to do the dirty work (which Wilshere more than is by the way, he's very combative) there's already Dier, Milner and Henderson in that squad. Drinkwater is just the same but worse.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1345 on: May 31, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »

Thats the bare minimum, anything else is failure. hes lucky he didn't get the boot after the shocking showing in Brazil

I'd say quarters are minimum, Could meet a very good team at that stage and as this squad is probably the weakest for over 20 years I think its a bit unfair saying semis is minimum.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1346 on: May 31, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »
Not sure I get the comparisons with Wilshere and Drinkwater, both have different attributes and suit different roles. I understand the unease of selecting Wilshire for his injury record but I don't think there is any doubt that he would offer more than Drinkwater can for this England side and how we play.

Think the squad is pretty well balanced.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1347 on: May 31, 2016, 07:19:49 PM »

Bizarre, I hope he is manager for the next 20years because that means England would have had to be successful. wishing him gone means he's failed, means england fail...
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1348 on: May 31, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
Bizarre, I hope he is manager for the next 20years because that means England would have had to be successful. wishing him gone means he's failed, means england fail...

the biggest failure in our history of world cup finals in 2014, hes lucky to still be england manager any other nation would have sacked on such a dismal showing

You wouldn't have it would you, he should resign now
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:10:35 PM by WBAinDEVON »

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1349 on: May 31, 2016, 07:45:18 PM »

the biggest failure in our history of world cup finals in 2014, hes lucky to still be england manager any other nation would have sacked on such a dismal showing

It was poor but Uruguay and Italy were much better teams than us and it was all over by the time we played Costa Rica.

Not as if we were the best team in the group but majorly cocked it up.