Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 779098 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #1000 on: June 26, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »
Great engine,
Runs all day,
Heart of a lion,
Box to box player ....
This is what we excelled at, unfortunately the rest of the world caught up (40 years ago),

technically gifted,
highly skilled,
accurate,
comfortable in possession.....
We do not compete in these areas and our coaches do not know how to make us competitive at this facets of the game,
The FA need to wake up and change our coaching organisations, a min of 12months at a foreign club should be a pre-requisite for advancement as a coach IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1001 on: June 26, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Dan Ashworth was on 5Live yesterday or the day before talking about the England setup. Reading what he said, I wish he was still with us!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33276276

England made the right decision to omit some of their Premier League players in the European Under-21 Championship, says Football Association director of elite development Dan Ashworth.

Gareth Southgate's side went out in the group stage in the Czech Republic.

"We made the decision and I back it," Ashworth told the BBC's senior football reporter Ian Dennis.

"Youth teams are there to help develop players and give them experience to get into the seniors."

Liverpool forward Raheem Sterling, Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, Arsenal midfielders Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere and Manchester United defender Phil Jones were among those eligible but not called up.

Ashworth added: "Those players are established internationals. It's like being a first-team player and asking them to come back and play in the U21s. It's not necessarily the right thing to do.

"The players who hadn't competed in the two-year cycle and lead-up to the European Championship wouldn't be considered.

"The debate will be reopened now but we stand by the decision Gareth and I made. You never know when you drop players into a new group whether it'll be the right thing to do."

England, who had Premier League quality in Tottenham striker Harry Kane, Everton defender John Stones and new Liverpool forward Danny Ings, lost 1-0 to Portugal, beat Sweden by the same score but then lost 3-1 to Italy.

Ashworth had a key role in the FA introducing proposals - the 'England DNA programme' - in December aimed at improving England's prospects at major tournaments.

The plan is to co-ordinate the style, formation and tactics from the under-15 side upwards. And he believes improvements can be seen already.

"I don't want to hide behind the fact we're devastated to have been eliminated in the group stages," Ashworth said. "We're disappointed with the group that we hoped and thought might go a bit further. But there are some success stories.

"In order to win things at senior level, we need to develop players who can deal with the ball in all areas of the pitch. We have to prioritise that in the development teams.

"They're young players and they'll make mistakes - it will cost us games. We have to accept that. We can't after six months say that's wrong, let's just crash it down the other end as quickly as we can.

"We're starting to see a different kind of player come through the system now. Three years into EPPP [Elite Player Performance Plan] we're seeing players more capable with the ball. I believe it will stand us in good stead in years to come. Is it too soon now to see that? Yes, perhaps."

FA chairman Greg Dyke set a target in 2013 for England to win the World Cup by 2022 and Ashworth is adamant that this remains a realistic goal.
"Yes I do believe that," he said. "I genuinely believe we have a lot of good young players in the system. We have the pathways getting better at clubs and international level.

"We've introduced an Under-15s, 18s and 20s in the past 12 months because we recognise we need to give our players more big-game experience.
"You've seen at this tournament we need players who are able to make decisions at the top level in the big games in order to win tournaments. But that takes time - it doesn't happen overnight.

"We're all doing the right things but we need to sit tight and be a little patient and let it run its course. I'm convinced it will."

[Article continues with BBC pundits]
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1002 on: June 26, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
I agree the highlighted bits are encouraging, however i would also point out Dyke saying "We're all doing the right things" smacks of complacency and maybe arrogance.

You can always do better and if you stop trying to you will not be the best.

I'm sure we all hope that Dan's strategy pays off but it should always be under review IMO.
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1003 on: June 26, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
"In order to win things at senior level, we need to develop players who can deal with the ball in all areas of the pitch. We have to prioritise that in the development teams.

"We're starting to see a different kind of player come through the system now. Three years into EPPP [Elite Player Performance Plan] we're seeing players more capable with the ball. I believe it will stand us in good stead in years to come. Is it too soon now to see that? Yes, perhaps."

I agree with the first bit, but can see no evidence of the second and I can't see how it will come to be. PL teams have to develop players that are suitable for the PL and technically good, maverick style players do not fit that brief, they are considered a risk or a luxury and end up warming the bench, at best!
I may be wrong but from talking to mates who follow kid's football, nothing has changed from when I was a kid and if a kid stands head and shoulders above his peers in stature he is snapped up, while the kid who is head and shoulders above in ability is left behind.
A massive step change is needed but, whilst the greed league is the be all and end all, no club will be able to take the risk.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1004 on: June 26, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
I'd disagree with that. Thinking about the top 5 or 6 clubs, there is a real emphasis on technical ability to try to compete with the European giants. Teams like Arsenal have very gifted, technical players (Wilshere, Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc), and the same for Chelsea (Hazard, Oscar, Fabregas). Liverpool under Rodgers seek to play with skillful players like Sterling and Coutinho, so I do think we're getting there.

The problem is seen further down the league where there's a lot of pressure to get results (not to say there isn't at the top!), and when you're fighting for survival it's harder to justify the inclusion of younger, less experienced players.

He/him

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1005 on: June 26, 2015, 04:31:28 PM »
I'd disagree with that. Thinking about the top 5 or 6 clubs, there is a real emphasis on technical ability to try to compete with the European giants. Teams like Arsenal have very gifted, technical players (Wilshere, Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc), and the same for Chelsea (Hazard, Oscar, Fabregas). Liverpool under Rodgers seek to play with skillful players like Sterling and Coutinho, so I do think we're getting there.

The problem is seen further down the league where there's a lot of pressure to get results (not to say there isn't at the top!), and when you're fighting for survival it's harder to justify the inclusion of younger, less experienced players.
You are right and I did think about it as I was writing it, what I should have said is that no team outside the top 6, or the 'soup' as I like to call it, can afford to take the risk.
The fact that the top 6 are trying to improve may make it even worse, as the rest of us may become more combative and negative in order to compete.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1006 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »
To be fair some of the youth teams technical ability is pretty high, I watched the under 17 Euro's this year and England were a far better team than Italy, and on par with Holland.

The issues we see now are a mixture of players not developing past 18, which is partly due to clubs refusing to give players a chance (something we ourselves are guilty of) and also a lack of developing game intelligence, which I guess links to  the first point. It's all well and good being technical but if you don't know how to adjust to suit the needs of the game, its not much use. Against Sweden for example it was clear with everyone sitting back we needed to move the ball quickly and start playing quick one two's round the box, otherwise you'll never hurt the opposition defence. Only when Loftus-Cheek came on did we have a player who seemed to understand what needed to happen.

The other huge problem we see with English football is an inherent inferiority complex. Look, even if England aren't the greatest team, they're a good team. Good players. Costa Rica were a penalty shoot out from the semi-finals. You do not have to have the greatest players to do decent in tournaments. But at every level of English football, apart from for some reason the under 17's, we lost in tournament games to teams we perceive to be better than ourselves. Instead of playing the game, we try and play the opposition. Look at Southgate, he cowered away from playing the technical players like Ward-Prowse in favour of regimented, uninspired robots like Forster-Caskey and Chalobah (who were both awful).

It's a huge problem with the senior team. The team is TERRIFIED of anyone good. Pirlo was rubbish at the world cup, apart from against England who gave him all the time in the world because we gave him far too much respect. Costa Rica just swamped him and he couldn't handle it. Pretty much anytime England play a good player they do well because we just show far too much respect. The other big thing is England lack any streetwise ability at all. Knowing when to slow the game down, the dark arts South American teams excel at. Before the next tournament the team could do with a week with Pulis to teach them some of the things we so naively lack, and of course set pieces.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1007 on: June 26, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
Personaly speaking are these players hungry enough?. The English 'Lad' culture of Boozing and smoking doesnt help. Finishing bottom of the group with only 2 goals from 3 games, i believe i read England only had a total of 6 shots on target in 3 games. Pretty poor if that is true.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1008 on: June 27, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
Personaly speaking are these players hungry enough?. The English 'Lad' culture of Boozing and smoking doesnt help. Finishing bottom of the group with only 2 goals from 3 games, i believe i read England only had a total of 6 shots on target in 3 games. Pretty poor if that is true.

No they're not.

Players nowadays in general are not hungry enough because at the age of 18/19/20 they're capable of picking up £20,000 a week or more. I don't know about anybody else, but if I had that much money coming into my bank account every week then I wouldn't give a pooh about the football, I'd be out partying and doing exactly what I do now.

The power of the game will not change in this country - young academy products won't be given a chance, especially in the Premier League because the rewards are so great.

Why would Chelsea want to play Loftus-Cheek or Issiah Brown when they can go and sign someone from the continent for £20million who is way ahead of them in their development.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
Roy's after a new deal. A good show at the Euro's then I'd give him till the World Cup at least.
the regime don't like it man

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1010 on: July 26, 2015, 08:41:48 PM »
Roy's after a new deal. A good show at the Euro's then I'd give him till the World Cup at least.

There is no obvious replacement. So I wouldn't have a problem with Roy's deal being extended.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1011 on: August 06, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
England 8th in current world rankings, Wales 9th :o Romaina 7th :o , no spain in the top ten. i dont get these rankings
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1012 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere facing lengthy layoff with leg injury, England midfielder has suspected hairline fracture of his left fibula and is expected to miss England’s qualifiers in September.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/05/arsenal-jack-wilshere-injury-england

But is not expected to require surgery.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jack-wilshere-unlikely-to-need-surgery-on-ankle-injury-but-arsenal-midfielder-will-miss-england-internationals-10442476.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:53:03 AM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1013 on: August 06, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere facing lengthy layoff with leg injury, England midfielder has suspected hairline fracture of his left fibula and is expected to miss England’s qualifiers in September.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/05/arsenal-jack-wilshere-injury-england

But is not expected to require surgery.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jack-wilshere-unlikely-to-need-surgery-on-ankle-injury-but-arsenal-midfielder-will-miss-england-internationals-10442476.html

Could this affect Gnabry loan???
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1014 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »

Not really the same position or type of player.

He/him

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1015 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »

Wouldn't have thought so, he is a wide player whereas Wilshere is more central.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1016 on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »
Do you think its unfair the FA coming out and saying if England flop in the Euros next year roys going to loose his job.
What would you say is success for England in France Quarters?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1017 on: September 01, 2015, 08:30:59 AM »
are we all excited with the forth coming England games, san marino saturday

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1018 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »
are we all excited with the forth coming England games, san marino saturday

I'll be there, looking forward to the weekend in Rimini and a chance to see San Marino where I probably would never go if it wasn't for the football more than the game as you probably can imagine.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1019 on: September 03, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »
wales above england in the rankings :o ;D

Scruffy Stan

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1020 on: September 03, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »
wales above england in the rankings :o ;D
Gareth Bale above England in the rankings.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1021 on: September 03, 2015, 12:44:56 PM »
Gareth Bale above England in the rankings.

very true :)

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1022 on: September 03, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
I'll be there, looking forward to the weekend in Rimini and a chance to see San Marino where I probably would never go if it wasn't for the football more than the game as you probably can imagine.

See you on the beach in Rimini!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1023 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »
so with us playing San Marino and most likely a goal feast Rooney is most likely to beat Bobby Charltons record, sad really

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1024 on: September 03, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
so with us playing San Marino and most likely a goal feast Rooney is most likely to beat Bobby Charltons record, sad really

Not really. Bobby had similar sort of games, as does everyone else;

Charlton scored hat tricks against Luxembourg and USA (who we beat 10-0 and 80-1 and weren't anywhere near as competitive as they are now).