Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 447641 times)

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1825 on: July 29, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »
One year deal only being discussed. I hope they offer more even though I don't rate him as a footballer but better than we currently have
I would prefer that the club brought in 1 or 2 similar but younger types of players to replace him rather than to hold onto a player for too long which our club seems to be in the habit of doing plus it's a risk with his injury record. He also has hardly been convincing much of the time when on the pitch these past 2/3 years.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1826 on: July 29, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »
In fairness it would seem Morrison is fit. I never ascribe any significance to pre season friendlies so whether he looked good bad or indifferent yesterday is almost irrelevant because the game is played at about 75% of competitive intensity.

In terms of contract he has reached the stage where it is one year extensions depending on things have gone in the last season. If it is 1 + 1 deal the option has to be in our favour, giving contract extensions triggered by appearances has lumbered us with Barry and gave Fletcher the chance to shop around for a better deal (which I wasn't unhappy about but never the less wasn't great for the club). 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggieboy74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1827 on: July 29, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
If we want to play forwards.......he has to stay.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1828 on: July 29, 2018, 12:05:37 PM »
Whilst I take Standaman's point about friendlies, I agree with him to be honest, what I saw yesterday convinced me that Morrison still has a part to play here. He and Barnes gave us what we were lacking last season in terms of variety and a bit of quality going forward.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1829 on: July 29, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
We should defo sign him for for this season and preferably have a clause to extend to two years in the clubs favour. Presumably something needs to be sorted out asap as his contract expires end of July.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1830 on: July 29, 2018, 05:21:34 PM »
Whilst I take Standaman's point about friendlies, I agree with him to be honest, what I saw yesterday convinced me that Morrison still has a part to play here. He and Barnes gave us what we were lacking last season in terms of variety and a bit of quality going forward.

Morrison has always had this quality and has been a really important player for us over the years, you could even call him under-rated at times.

The only issue I've ever had is his fitness which has plagued his career. I have no doubt that if he was fit last season we'd have stayed up.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1831 on: July 29, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
Morrison has always had this quality and has been a really important player for us over the years, you could even call him under-rated at times.

The only issue I've ever had is his fitness which has plagued his career.
I have no doubt that if he was fit last season we'd have stayed up.

And this is why we need to be careful when offering a deal, let's not make the same mistake again
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1832 on: July 29, 2018, 06:11:02 PM »
And this is why we need to be careful when offering a deal, let's not make the same mistake again
I agree, I'd offer him a 1 year deal based on this - or one with incentives to play. The issue is whether he gets a better offer from elsewhere.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1833 on: July 29, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
I agree, I'd offer him a 1 year deal based on this - or one with incentives to play. The issue is whether he gets a better offer from elsewhere.

That’s been mentioned earlier in the thread, one year @ £35k with Albion or 2 years @ £30k somewhere else. He is a free agent and may have other clubs interested now he has achieved a level of fitness.

For me, 1 year with a second year in the clubs favour as previously mentioned above

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1834 on: July 29, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »
We should offer him a deal to suit us, a year with an extra year upon him hitting at least 30 league games. If he chooses another option then so be it.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1835 on: July 29, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »
We should offer him a deal to suit us, a year with an extra year upon him hitting at least 30 league games. If he chooses another option then so be it.

Assuming Chadli goes, JM is the only show in town, it would be barmy to let him go to another club, having waited a month for him to prove his fitness.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1836 on: July 29, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »
Assuming Chadli goes, JM is the only show in town, it would be barmy to let him go to another club, having waited a month for him to prove his fitness.

We had no choice, it was in his contract with us, as it is with Myhill who is also still trying with us
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1837 on: July 29, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
We had no choice, it was in his contract with us, as it is with Myhill who is also still trying with us

It was part of the contract to continue to pay him for a month, it wasn't part of his contract that we wait a month to replace him.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1838 on: July 29, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »
It was part of the contract to continue to pay him for a month, it wasn't part of his contract that we wait a month to replace him.

I think you are entering the realms of semantics with that line of thought.

As a club who were paying off an overdraft, why would we increase our commitments and prolong interest payments etc. before we have to and balancing the books?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1839 on: July 29, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »
I think you are entering the realms of semantics with that line of thought.

As a club who were paying off an overdraft, why would we increase our commitments and prolong interest payments etc. before we have to and balancing the books?

So why did we sign two goalkeepers, one to replace Ben Foster & one to replace Boas Myhill?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1840 on: July 29, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
We aren't interested in retaining Myhill hence no game time but we are contractually obliged to allow him to train for an extra month.

Morrison will be offered a contract after we used the obligatory extra month to assess the player, had no such obligation existed we'd have just offered him terms at the end of June. Nothing I've seen in preseason has changed my view it's imperative we re-sign him. The double whammy of him strengthening a rival is unthinkable.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1841 on: July 29, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
So why did we sign two goalkeepers, one to replace Ben Foster & one to replace Boas Myhill?

Did we not let players go before those signings, Foster, Yacob, MaCauley?

And Myhill is still on our payroll until the end of the month
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1842 on: July 29, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
We aren't interested in retaining Myhill hence no game time but we are contractually obliged to allow him to train for an extra month.

Morrison will be offered a contract after we used the obligatory extra month to assess the player, had no such obligation existed we'd have just offered him terms at the end of June. Nothing I've seen in preseason has changed my view it's imperative we re-sign him. The double whammy of him strengthening a rival is unthinkable.

I agree Jacko, the point I'm making though, is if we don't sign him, we've wasted a month in getting a replacement.
Financial restraints didn't stop us replacing Myhill.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1843 on: July 29, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
Did we not let players go before those signings, Foster, Yacob, MaCauley?

And Myhill is still on our payroll until the end of the month

And so will be Yacob & MaCauley, it's part of the PFA agreement, but we've also signed a replacement for GM.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1844 on: July 29, 2018, 09:21:38 PM »
And so will be Yacob & MaCauley, it's part of the PFA agreement, but we've also signed a replacement for GM.

He left and we knew we needed a replacements for him, but didn’t someone post that Yacob choose to leave us so would not be subject to that clause in the contract.

I once worked with an accountant whose motto was “don’t spend money until you have to”
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1845 on: July 29, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
it was reported that Yacob had the option to extend his contract but chose not to trigger the clause.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1846 on: July 30, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »

Was the replacement for GM... or Evans... or Gabr?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1847 on: July 30, 2018, 10:11:27 AM »
Was the replacement for GM... or Evans... or Gabr?

Can I suggest you go back to reply 1783 & follow the conversation from there. It's really just a moot point.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1848 on: July 30, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Even when he was fit, Morrison was utterly inconsistent. He was excellent every so often, maybe 20% of the time, and completely anonymous the rest of the time. That's not good enough. People seem to view him through rose tinted specs and forget all the poor performances he has put in over the last 3 years or so. A look back through this thread will refresh some memories. I suspect we will probably offer him a new contract though.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1849 on: July 30, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
Even when he was fit, Morrison was utterly inconsistent. He was excellent every so often, maybe 20% of the time, and completely anonymous the rest of the time. That's not good enough. People seem to view him through rose tinted specs and forget all the poor performances he has put in over the last 3 years or so. A look back through this thread will refresh some memories. I suspect we will probably offer him a new contract though.

My sentiment entirely. I am not sure why there is such a clamour to let him have us over a barrel in contract negotiations, he should be doing all he can to persuade us to give him another year as, for my mind, he has not done a great deal to justify his very good wage over the past couple of seasons, even when fit.