Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 447642 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1800 on: July 26, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
Although I respect what he’s done for the club and his long tenure, he does sum up what is wrong with the team. How many seasons have we been talking about a signing to replace him, or the top priority being an attacking midfielder?

As much as he could probably still give us another season in the championship, he’s needed a younger replacement for a few years now for the premier league seasons, and carrying on giving him contract extensions rather than searching for a younger and fitter replacement has cost us in recent years.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1801 on: July 26, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
I still rate Morrison and would offer him another year or two, but I would still urgently bring in some competition there.
Boing Boing

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1802 on: July 26, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
I still rate Morrison and would offer him another year or two, but I would still urgently bring in some competition there.
Thats a very fair way of looking at it , trouble is right now due to all these release clause's plus Chadli's latest injury I don't believe there's £5 to £8 million spare to replace Morrison right now .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1803 on: July 26, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
There lies our problem in my opinion he should have been replaced years ago

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1804 on: July 26, 2018, 08:18:00 PM »
Can't see him staying for a one-year contract. If he does not want that, then cheerio.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1805 on: July 26, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »
Can't see him staying for a one-year contract. If he does not want that, then cheerio.

He would if that was the best deal he could get.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1806 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »

He's contributed next to nothing for the last two seasons so no great loss either way as he hasn't proven his fitness in competitive games yet.
Thanks for the memories Jimmy but we need more from a senior player in your position.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1807 on: July 26, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »
Depends on the deal, if we offer a small basic with appearance incentives then yes, if its full wage then no. Spent too much time on the sidelines last couple of years. 12 months with 12 month option.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1808 on: July 26, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
He's contributed next to nothing for the last two seasons so no great loss either way as he hasn't proven his fitness in competitive games yet.
Thanks for the memories Jimmy but we need more from a senior player in your position.

Trouble is the club just don’t know when to let go. Easy option all the time.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1809 on: July 26, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »
Depends on the deal, if we offer a small basic with appearance incentives then yes, if its full wage then no. Spent too much time on the sidelines last couple of years. 12 months with 12 month option.

Id agree with this and I would go as far as to say retirement from International Football.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1810 on: July 27, 2018, 02:54:20 AM »
Trouble is the club just don’t know when to let go. Easy option all the time.

Saying that we released yacob and McAuley this year...
Think Moore is quite ruthless and rightly so.

Not convinced at the moment that the club will back him in transfer market. Until we have somebody better on the books (chadli won't be here) we can't afford to lose him.

We're pretty one dimensional as it is- all our play goes through Phillips and we utilise set pieces and every so often we get a Brunt deep cross
O Albion we love you

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1811 on: July 27, 2018, 08:40:21 AM »
In theory we replaced Morrison at least in the starting XI with Chadli two years ago yet we gave him a new contract. As it turned out in 16/17 under Pulis he played almost as many minutes as his replacement who played in just about every position except the AM role. Last season was a wash for both and even when Chadli was available for the last few games of the season Moore opted to play Rodriguez in the "10" role in a 4-4-1-1.

Personally I would have not renewed his contract 2 years ago although I do understand why people looking at our squad might think it is worthwhile giving him another season. As ever it is difficult to know what Darren's thinking is here without seeing him put a team out in a competitive game as the Permanent Head Coach although I'm not ready to completely discount the clues from the tail end of last season.

If as looks likely that we give Morrison another season I am left wondering "how does this work?". The more I read and write on this subject this seems to be the most obvious issue. The merits or demerits of the individual player are less important than how they fit with the team and the Head Coaches tactics. This applies to other clubs as much as ours and an issue that few seem to get constantly right. 

Where the tactical blueprint is unclear as it is with Moore at the moment how good or bad a decision this or any other recruitment or retention decision is almost impossible to gauge.  Were Pulis still in charge then this is a rubbish decision just like the one to replace him with Chadli while still retaining him as was signing Chadli, when Pulis was never going to play through the midfield.

If Moore is looking to play through the midfield almost regardless of the shape he adopts (although some shapes are more conducive to this than others) I can see the point of retaining Morrison I wouldn't but it isn't the worst decision. If we are going down the deep sitting block with occasional counter then it really is a waste of time.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1812 on: July 27, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
.   Think a one year contract and a one year in the clubs favor is a fair deal considering his injury record. Been a good servant to the club

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1813 on: July 27, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
In theory we replaced Morrison at least in the starting XI with Chadli two years ago yet we gave him a new contract. As it turned out in 16/17 under Pulis he played almost as many minutes as his replacement who played in just about every position except the AM role. Last season was a wash for both and even when Chadli was available for the last few games of the season Moore opted to play Rodriguez in the "10" role in a 4-4-1-1.

Personally I would have not renewed his contract 2 years ago although I do understand why people looking at our squad might think it is worthwhile giving him another season. As ever it is difficult to know what Darren's thinking is here without seeing him put a team out in a competitive game as the Permanent Head Coach although I'm not ready to completely discount the clues from the tail end of last season.

If as looks likely that we give Morrison another season I am left wondering "how does this work?". The more I read and write on this subject this seems to be the most obvious issue. The merits or demerits of the individual player are less important than how they fit with the team and the Head Coaches tactics. This applies to other clubs as much as ours and an issue that few seem to get constantly right. 

Where the tactical blueprint is unclear as it is with Moore at the moment how good or bad a decision this or any other recruitment or retention decision is almost impossible to gauge.  Were Pulis still in charge then this is a rubbish decision just like the one to replace him with Chadli while still retaining him as was signing Chadli, when Pulis was never going to play through the midfield.

If Moore is looking to play through the midfield almost regardless of the shape he adopts (although some shapes are more conducive to this than others) I can see the point of retaining Morrison I wouldn't but it isn't the worst decision. If we are going down the deep sitting block with occasional counter then it really is a waste of time.   

I am sure you will know, there's an old saying in business "You fit the people around the business, not the business around the people".
Absolutely fine in theory, but if the people ain't there, you have to take a more pragmatic approach & sometimes put square pegs in round holes.
TBH Stan, I'm with you, there are so many variables & unknowns this season, that it's hard to know what the strategy is, or even if there is one.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1814 on: July 27, 2018, 10:17:15 AM »

Interesting post Stan. However I'd argue that we signed Chadli as a left winger probably as competition with McClean rather than as an ACM to replace Morrison. Chadli is nearly always described as a winger in any item about him, I think it's only some of our fans that see him as a ACM. He plays as a winger for Belgium..or even as a wingback.

Morrison played well on Tuesday night in a 4-5-1 and was getting forward to support HRK at every opportunity but I'd agree with you that in a 4-4-2 he will be wasted.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1815 on: July 27, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »
Interesting post Stan. However I'd argue that we signed Chadli as a left winger probably as competition with McClean rather than as an ACM to replace Morrison. Chadli is nearly always described as a winger in any item about him, I think it's only some of our fans that see him as a ACM. He plays as a winger for Belgium..or even as a wingback.

Morrison played well on Tuesday night in a 4-5-1 and was getting forward to support HRK at every opportunity but I'd agree with you that in a 4-4-2 he will be wasted.

I don't think for one minute we will play 442, it will be 451 with Brunt, Livermore and now probably Morrison in the central 3

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1816 on: July 27, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
Chadli won't be here. It didn't seem like he wanted to play for us in the premier league so we certainly won't want to in the championship.

I'd keep Mozza for a year on the basis if (but if) fit, he's as good as anyone in this division but only as a bit part player. We desperately need younger/ more reliable legs in that AM role and have done for probably three years at least. At least we don't seem to have a HC who is fascinated with deep lying defensive midfielders anymore.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1817 on: July 27, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
Chadli won't be here. It didn't seem like he wanted to play for us in the premier league so we certainly won't want to in the championship.

I'd keep Mozza for a year on the basis if (but if) fit, he's as good as anyone in this division but only as a bit part player. We desperately need younger/ more reliable legs in that AM role and have done for probably three years at least. At least we don't seem to have a HC who is fascinated with deep lying defensive midfielders anymore.

If he's as good as anyone in the division then why only as a bit part player? surely you'd want him to play a big part?

I don't think for one minute we will play 442, it will be 451 with Brunt, Livermore and now probably Morrison in the central 3

I think you are right on that formation and personnel, I certainly hope we won't be playing 4-4-2. I think you are right in an earlier comment about Brunt being shoehorned into the team somewhere/anywhere.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1818 on: July 28, 2018, 09:43:08 PM »
Anyone know the situation with Mozza? I.e. has he been offered a contract/will he stay?

I'd offer him a 1 year deal if he's currently fit - he is a very creative player on his day and links between midfield and strikers really well - our team doesn't have too many players like that right now.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1819 on: July 28, 2018, 10:04:11 PM »
Anyone know the situation with Mozza? I.e. has he been offered a contract/will he stay?

I'd offer him a 1 year deal if he's currently fit - he is a very creative player on his day and links between midfield and strikers really well - our team doesn't have too many players like that right now.

He might be looking for a bit more at this stage of his career.
I can see an offer of a 1 year deal with a second year triggered on appearances in the first year
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1820 on: July 28, 2018, 10:23:16 PM »

rumours earlier this week think it’s a 1+1 but in whose favour the +1 is we don’t know.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1821 on: July 28, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
rumours earlier this week think it’s a 1+1 but in whose favour the +1 is we don’t know.
Id imagine the +1 would and should be appearance activated in the same way barrys was.

charlebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1822 on: July 28, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »
Id imagine the +1 would and should be appearance activated in the same way barrys was.
.   I should imagine at this stage of the season.and playing most of the last two games I think he's going to sign with it being in the clubs favour.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1823 on: July 29, 2018, 12:05:45 AM »
One year deal only being discussed. I hope they offer more even though I don't rate him as a footballer but better than we currently have
Gera, Gera, Gera

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1824 on: July 29, 2018, 06:53:30 AM »
One year deal only being discussed. I hope they offer more even though I don't rate him as a footballer but better than we currently have
Yesterday I thought he was head and shoulders better than most on that pitch
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)