Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 447646 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1675 on: May 29, 2018, 10:23:34 PM »
If he was happy to accept a pay as you play deal then i'd give him 12 months but after the past 2 years anything else would be risky
That would be my offer to him or with a low weekly wage. A fit Morrison would boss that division  and is only just 32.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1676 on: May 29, 2018, 10:31:18 PM »
NO way.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1677 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45:08 PM »
I think it'll be a straight 1 year extension. Same terms as a flex down would have resulted in.

If we get 25 to 30 games out of Mozza we'll be comfortable top 2.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1678 on: May 29, 2018, 11:08:50 PM »
At present if we have an option of extending Morrison's contract so I would assume that would be done at current terms e.g. 1/2 the Premier League rate which if reports are to be believed is around £30k a week.

This is pretty decent money at Championship level and for that we need someone who is a first team regular who will play week in week out. As soon as that is not the case we cannot afford the option, if it lapses we could offer alternative terms.

I fear that behind the scenes many players in addition to the 4 with release clauses are seeking moves away from the club and the player exodus could be greater than I might have first thought. Only 3 senior pro's Gibbs Brunt and Foster have committed to being here next season and we need at least twice that to have a core to the squad on which to rebuild.  In that context re-signing Morrison and McAuley would be tempting just to stem the tide.

However on balance it is a temptation that should be resisted.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1679 on: May 29, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
I think it'll be a straight 1 year extension. Same terms as a flex down would have resulted in.

Thats the big issue here, too many ifs and maybes, also no guarantee of anything with or without him

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1680 on: May 30, 2018, 09:36:27 AM »

After last season, I would not be confident of getting that out of him. I would ultimately bow to the advice of the medical staff on this one when making a decision.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1681 on: May 30, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
Pay for play is the only way I would keep Mozza, if he is confident of his fitness it shouldn’t be a problem
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1682 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
I'm not sure if the medical staff would be the right ones to make the decision. He may well be fit enough to pass a medical in August but he probably was the previous 2 or 3 Augusts as well.
Common sense and track record should say that now is the time he is released and we get a younger replacement in.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1683 on: May 30, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
Common sense and track record should say that now is the time he is released and we get a younger replacement in.
Indeed, but apparently he's suddenly become the best player in the Championship. From what I recall, he's always blown hot and cold whatever division we've been in.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1684 on: May 30, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
Indeed, but apparently he's suddenly become the best player in the Championship. From what I recall, he's always blown hot and cold whatever division we've been in.
Yes agreed, he's not been the most consistent and he's not the type to 'boss' any league.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1685 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:02 PM »

Depends what he is playing next to. I wouldn't go as far as saying giving him a contract extension will make us comfortable top 2. It really does depend on who big Dave wants and who he gets by the end of the window. If we are playing it up to HRK and another average championship striker we will be lucky to be in the play offs.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1686 on: May 30, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
No, end it now.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1687 on: May 31, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Don't think anybody has gone that far but a fit Morrison is a cut above most midfielders at that level with respect to them . Fit being the key word clearly , being honest I wouldn't be sure what to do other than back Moore's choice on this via the medical team hopefully.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1688 on: May 31, 2018, 09:06:05 PM »
Any idea if he is doing any coaching qualifications? He seems to have been a good pro and (relatively? ) loyal to the club, perhaps this should be rewarded? Back to the culture of promotion from within and "the Albion way".
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1689 on: May 31, 2018, 09:42:31 PM »
Any idea if he is doing any coaching qualifications? He seems to have been a good pro and (relatively? ) loyal to the club, perhaps this should be rewarded? Back to the culture of promotion from within and "the Albion way".

All well and good saying or doing that but over the past few weeks we've had people saying we should give coaching jobs to Brunt, Morrison, Scharner and McAuley. Despite the fact we can't give jobs to everyone there's not a shred of evidence of any coaching ability in any of them which is the main reason we should give coaching jobs not based on the fact they are currently or have been players here. Its the same reasons that people link McInnes especially with the managers job.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1690 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:29 PM »
Back to the culture of promotion from within and "the Albion way".
For how much of our existence did we have such a culture? People seem eager to give a job to anyone who has or had club connections, as if the fact that they used to play for us has magically turned them into geniuses for whatever role they're being put forward for.

The head coach job has been given to Darren, rightly or wrongly (we'll have to wait to next season to find out which it is), so let any other coaching jobs be given to the most capable people we can get, regardless of their previous affiliations.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1691 on: May 31, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
It was a question rather than a statement  ::)

We have promoted from within and therefore should have coaching vacancies. Brunt and Morrison are both model professionals and experienced at the highest level of both domestic and international football. (More so than our head coach  ;)) They may make excellent coaches, they may not, they may not even be interested but they have a better insight into the workings of our club than an outsider brought in (but is that a good thing?)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1692 on: May 31, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
It was a question rather than a statement  ::)

We have promoted from within and therefore should have coaching vacancies. Brunt and Morrison are both model professionals and experienced at the highest level of both domestic and international football. (More so than our head coach  ;)) They may make excellent coaches, they may not, they may not even be interested but they have a better insight into the workings of our club than an outsider brought in (but is that a good thing?)

We have Moore, Shan and Cutler who all have inside knowledge of the workings of our club. Time for jobs to be earned instead of jobs for the boys.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1693 on: June 01, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
We have Moore, Shan and Cutler who all have inside knowledge of the workings of our club. Time for jobs to be earned instead of jobs for the boys.
Spot on.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1694 on: June 01, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
In my opinion the fact we are discussing Mozza as a option is why we have got our just deserts.
Good player historically but we should have moved on 4/5 years ago from his standard, just like Brunt sentiment and having no ambition we have kept these players. Teams should evolve we have stagnated.
When fit Mozza has about 5/6 games a season where he has a presence, Brunt has a good chipping wedge from a dead ball however both are not a commanding all  round midfielders. It is this sentiment and the starvation of football during the past years which I believe cloud many a fans judgement.
Big Dave needs to move on, Mozza should go in the clear out definitely in my opinion with a thank you for his loyalty.   

wimbledon baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1695 on: June 01, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
Looks like he will return to NE and be reunited with TP. Good luck with that Mozza.

Can see that happening as he is from up there.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1696 on: June 01, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
Looks like he will return to NE and be reunited with TP. Good luck with that Mozza.

He should have gone there two summers ago and saved us the wasted wages. I am a massive Mozza fan, but through injury and his performances the past two seasons, he has been stealing a living from us. When he has been fit he has barely been able to string two or three decent performances together in a run of games.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1697 on: June 01, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
He should have gone there two summers ago and saved us the wasted wages. I am a massive Mozza fan, but through injury and his performances the past two seasons, he has been stealing a living from us. When he has been fit he has barely been able to string two or three decent performances together in a run of games.
It would be very bad business if Morrison is kept on. He still isn't fit and even if he manages to get fit again, he hasn't played for the best part of a season. Looking back to the 16/17 season and the bit of this season before he got injured, his performances were hit and miss to say the least - for every match where he was effective, there were 3 or 4 when he was totally anonymous, and at his age this ratio will only continue to decline. People who want him kept on are voting with their heart over their head in my opinion. Time to move on.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1698 on: June 01, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »

All I have seen is a piece in the Northern Echo quoting a rumour that Pulis is interested in him.
 It may be true but it may just be a piece of lazy journalism like when we were constantly linked with Walters and Crouch from Stoke while Pulis was here.

We still have a 1 yr option that we can activate.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1699 on: June 01, 2018, 10:49:47 AM »
We do have a 1yr option but if we do that, we probably don't bring a replacement in. Then if Mozza gets injured again...groundhog day/season.