Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 447620 times)

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1425 on: September 01, 2016, 03:11:26 PM »
I dont feel sorry for him at all, hes old enough and wise enough to know how football works, and hes been at this club long enough to know how we work as a club, he will have seen first hand the situation with Saido, so if he was eyeing up a move he shouldnt have signed the deal, simple as that.

He signed the deal because they said to him the Albion were going to be competitive in the market and the league. Both lies of the highest order.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1426 on: September 01, 2016, 03:14:47 PM »
He signed the deal because they said to him the Albion were going to be competitive in the market and the league. Both lies of the highest order.

Yet the club could argue that they have moved on surplus players and replaced them with players who will challenge for first team, they have brought in a left back, competition for right back and also broke their transfer record for Chadli.

The club could put a spin on it. Ill repeat it again, Morrison has been at this club long enough to know exactly how we and JP work.

Dont really understand how the club are getting any stick for keeping him, surely if we had let him go last minute last night then this forum would have been in even further meltdown because we wouldnt have had time to get a replacement in?

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1427 on: September 01, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
Yet the club could argue that they have moved on surplus players and replaced them with players who will challenge for first team, they have brought in a left back, competition for right back and also broke their transfer record for Chadli.

The club could put a spin on it. Ill repeat it again, Morrison has been at this club long enough to know exactly how we and JP work.

Dont really understand how the club are getting any stick for keeping him, surely if we had let him go last minute last night then this forum would have been in even further meltdown because we wouldnt have had time to get a replacement in?

Weve all been Albion fans for years and know hoe JP works yet we still had hopes it would be differnt, maybe he did and been let down. Not giving the club stick for keeping him, just think its not right that you hold him back and retaining him on false pretenses.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1428 on: September 01, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
Weve all been Albion fans for years and know hoe JP works yet we still had hopes it would be differnt, maybe he did and been let down. Not giving the club stick for keeping him, just think its not right that you hold him back and retaining him on false pretenses.

But no one can confirm we have guaranteed him 'big name signings.'

At the time of Morrison signing the contract we hadnt been taken over so we wouldnt have been in a position to promise him anything, we could have obviously told him we are in a likely position to be taken over and more money 'may' become available.

Morrison seems professional enough to crack on and thats a credit to him, but I wont buy into feeling sorry for him.

All this does is add to the shambles that has been yet another unsuccessful window for us.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1429 on: September 01, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
Morrison won't play more than 15 games this season. I don't think he will stay fit and we should've got rid.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1430 on: September 01, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »
I think he is a bit stale as well as injury prone. He shouldn't really have been offered a new contract and shouldn't have signed it imo. He needs a new challenge at this stage of his career and it's easy to see the allure of Celtic. Don't think we will ever see an on song Morrison for us again
I agree, his peak was probably a few years back and you're right on his injuries.
My point is, our squad is fairly thin right now in his position and after our window, we need everyone to pull together to keep us up.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1431 on: September 01, 2016, 04:29:24 PM »
Just my opinion but James was at one time the best we had got in that position. However we was never really that effective, Ok he scored the very occasional screamer and made the odd good pass but he was more often caught in posession too far up the field and had neither the strength nor the pace to get it back. He was also always too lightweight and easily shrugged off when trying to tackle. The best thing in JM's favour was landing one on that t****r SB.  Should have been thanks very much Jimmy and the best of luck with a new club. Definitely should not be a starter and always was a bit pointless bringing him on to change a game- we really should have bought better a long time ago.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:12:09 PM by MarkW »

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1432 on: September 01, 2016, 06:15:40 PM »
He's the most creative CM we have which says it all really! He needs to play, especially at home.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1433 on: September 01, 2016, 07:14:30 PM »
Morrison won't play more than 15 games this season. I don't think he will stay fit and we should've got rid.

More worryingly, he is our best attacking midfielder.

That's how poor the transfer window has been.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1434 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:46 AM »
Looks like Jimmy's paving the way for a January exit.
Play me or let me go!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14724741.James_Morrison_would_consider_January_move_to_Celtic/?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1435 on: September 06, 2016, 08:25:59 AM »
More worryingly, he is our best attacking midfielder.
Isn't that Chadli? He prefers playing in the middle.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1436 on: September 06, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »
Isn't that Chadli? He prefers playing in the middle.
You're right he can play there, but in the first interview I saw after he joined us he said on that playing on the left was his best position.
He basically said he can play anywhere across the midfield or 'under the striker' which I assume means 'No 10'.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1437 on: September 06, 2016, 08:52:54 AM »
You're right he can play there, but in the first interview I saw after he joined us he said on that playing on the left was his best position. He basically said he can play anywhere across the midfield or 'under the striker' which I assume means 'No 10'.
I'm sure I saw something before he signed saying he liked to play through the middle most of all, but footballers are strange folk!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1438 on: September 06, 2016, 09:36:19 AM »
What worries me here is that he had interest from Middlesborough in the latest window but penned a new deal with us because he liked what was planned for the future at the club. Now he wants out so what's changed?

MAGA!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1439 on: September 06, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
What worries me here is that he had interest from Middlesborough in the latest window but penned a new deal with us because he liked what was planned for the future at the club. Now he wants out so what's changed?
That might be the "official" reason, isn't it more likely that the actual reason he signed a new deal was because no-one came in for him and he was going to be out of contract?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:19:21 AM by WorcsWBA »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1440 on: September 06, 2016, 09:51:15 AM »
That might be the "official" reason, isn't it more likely that the actual reason he signed a new deal because no-one came in for him and he was going to be out of contract?

Spot on.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1441 on: September 06, 2016, 10:04:23 AM »
At £65k a week it's a really poor deal for the Albion.

His season ending injury, leading up to his status of a free agent, was far too convenient and if you add that to his generally appalling injury record over his time here i reckon he's overpaid by around £1m a year.

There is a culture at this club where we don't let go, this means we end up stuck with players who are no longer worth a penny and stops us doing what Southampton do so successfully - selling and reinvesting.

Olsson, Mulumbu, Odemwingie, Dorrans & Berahino could have bought in a combined £40m in fees over the years, yet we've clung on like obsessed ex girlfriends and ended up giving them away.
I only go for the beer.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1442 on: September 06, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »

His season ending injury, leading up to his status of a free agent, was far too convenient and if you add that to his generally appalling injury record over his time here i reckon he's overpaid by around £1m a year.

There is a culture at this club where we don't let go, this means we end up stuck with players who are no longer worth a penny and stops us doing what Southampton do so successfully - selling and reinvesting.

Olsson, Mulumbu, Odemwingie, Dorrans & Berahino could have bought in a combined £40m in fees over the years, yet we've clung on like obsessed ex girlfriends and ended up giving them away.

Your right, as a club we just dont know when to let go. This is why things have become so stale at the club and it all needs a shake up in the right areas.

I didnt realise Morrison was on those wages though! If that figure is true then its a bizarre deal by the club.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1443 on: September 06, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
No one wanted him so we gave him a new contract.
If we were going to add to the squad his place would definitely be in danger so that is not a mindset.
Celtic come calling and he quotes if he is not playing he would look at his options.
Mozza you were injured, pre season you were still injured again.
Celtic offering pieces of silver and your ready to jump ship after 3 games your ambition for Albion must be so great and loyal or is it your bank balance.
If Celtic want to pay in January see you bye   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:36:05 AM by MarkW »

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1444 on: September 06, 2016, 10:14:35 AM »
Exactly, he was playing up until he was injured and managed to miss all of pre season.

If i were him i'd be shining my agents shoes.
I only go for the beer.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1445 on: September 06, 2016, 10:18:22 AM »

Sums us up perfectly.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1446 on: September 06, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
No one wanted him so we gave him a new contract.
If we were going to add to the squad his place would definitely be in danger so that is not a mindset.
Celtic come calling and he quotes if he is not playing he would look at his options.
Mozza you were injured, pre season you were still injured again.
Celtic offering pieces of silver and your ready to jump ship after 3 games your ambition for Albion must be so great and loyal or is it your bank balance.
If Celtic want to pay in January c u bye

Or maybe Mozza just wants to play football week in week out? Nice to see you taking his loyalty and consummate professionalism over the last decade into account as you are prematurely ushering him out of the door. If he moves in January, he deserves a hero's send off as he has stuck with us, never moaned and despite periods where he was out of form (mainly because clueless managers insisted on playing him out of position), has been one of our best midfielders.

ABaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1447 on: September 06, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »

I would love to know where Albion publish the confidential details of the players contracts. Can you post a link?

If Morrison is on £65k a week then i can guarantee he won't be walking out in January to join Celtic or Middlesbrough

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1448 on: September 06, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
I would love to know where Albion publish the confidential details of the players contracts. Can you post a link?

If Morrison is on £65k a week then i can guarantee he won't be walking out in January to join Celtic or Middlesbrough

No way is he worth half that.
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #1449 on: September 06, 2016, 12:30:47 PM »
Not sure he could have replied to questions about getting back into the Scotland team any other way. Not too controversial in my opinion, the guy wants to be playing football.