Author Topic: James Morrison  (Read 447649 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: James Morrison
« Reply #1075 on: August 24, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
He has been very good in that position before, which is easily his best position. The problem is that our opponents figured that out and started to mark him out of games. When that happened he simply disappeared from games.

The last time he had an extended run there was in Clarke's first season which was the season that he and the rest of the team put the flip flops on shortly after Christmas so I am not sure whether it was team's sussing us out or an appalling lack of application. My criticism of him at the time was that even when he played well he wasn't scoring enough goals. If we are playing 4-2-3-1 we need the three behind Rondon to weigh in with goals and ideally at least one of them to score 10 plus goals across the season. Morrison has got off to a good start but he cannot go another 10 games without scoring if we are to play him there.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: August 24, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
He has been very good in that position before, which is easily his best position. The problem is that our opponents figured that out and started to mark him out of games. When that happened he simply disappeared from games.

No he didn't disapper out of it. A multi-million pound midfield which maraudes all over the pitch will always overwhelm one man sitting behind the front players, two players out wide, two defensive midfielders sitting back protecting the back four (especially Ollson, who is a liability every game). Morrison was the best Albion player on the pitch, identified by the Sky analysts, who also said he was unlucky not to get Man of the Match.
He was substituted because of fatigue, if all players put in as much effort as him who knows what we would have got out of the game.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1077 on: August 24, 2015, 10:48:20 AM »
First name on the teamsheet if we are not going to sign a creative centre mid, Unless people want to see a centre midfield of Gardner, yacob, Fletcher  :-X.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1078 on: August 24, 2015, 01:23:37 PM »

No he didn't disapper out of it. A multi-million pound midfield which maraudes all over the pitch will always overwhelm one man sitting behind the front players, two players out wide, two defensive midfielders sitting back protecting the back four (especially Ollson, who is a liability every game). Morrison was the best Albion player on the pitch, identified by the Sky analysts, who also said he was unlucky not to get Man of the Match.
He was substituted because of fatigue, if all players put in as much effort as him who knows what we would have got out of the game.

I was talking about Jimmy's previous spells as attacking midfielder, not this one game. He has had some excellent runs as cam (going back to the RdM and Hodgson days and later) where he was very efficient for a number of games, but then suddenly only to fall of the radar completely once our opponents started to mark him. Then the head coach would switch tactics and Mozza would barely have any impact for months on end (being asked to play defensive mid or somesuch nonsense).

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1079 on: August 24, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1080 on: August 24, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
Was named in the Gazette dello Sporto team of the week.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/west-brom-star-named-in-europe-s-best-after-chelsea-heroics

I'm not surprised, he was outstanding apart from the penalty miss, but to be honest, that should have been sorted before kick off.
Baggie in Southampton

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1081 on: January 03, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
Thought Mozza was brilliant today. Hasn't been the most consistent but I think forward thinking players until Pulis will struggle for consistency anyway.

I look at players like Morrison and Brunt and get the feeling we'll miss them when they are gone. I hope that Pulis doesn't deem them surplus in favour of more 'physical' players.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1082 on: January 03, 2016, 01:01:00 AM »
Thought Mozza was brilliant today. Hasn't been the most consistent but I think forward thinking players until Pulis will struggle for consistency anyway.

I look at players like Morrison and Brunt and get the feeling we'll miss them when they are gone. I hope that Pulis doesn't deem them surplus in favour of more 'physical' players.
Indeed, his assist was taken nicely. He did the same ball to Lambert who may have scored if he didn't mess it up and trip on the ball.

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1083 on: January 03, 2016, 03:33:54 AM »
Indeed, his assist was taken nicely. He did the same ball to Lambert who may have scored if he didn't mess it up and trip on the ball.
After that trip I am like cant make anymore excuses for Rick I hope he proves me wrong though

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: January 03, 2016, 08:57:01 AM »
Isn't he out of contract this year. I hope we are talking to him because he is a good squad/ starting player on his day.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1085 on: January 03, 2016, 09:22:07 AM »
Our longest serving player and deserves a new contract just for slapping Berahino. Bought by Tony Mowbray, 10 managers ago. (Poetic license using caretaker managers  ;D)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1086 on: January 03, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »
Isn't he out of contract this year. I hope we are talking to him because he is a good squad/ starting player on his day.

Yes and it surprising that he hasn't  signed an extension, I suspect he might be running the his contract down
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1087 on: January 03, 2016, 03:41:31 PM »
I've never warmed to Morrison the same way I have to Brunt, and I think it might be because of how inconsistent he is.

Yesterday is what he is capable of, yet when he plays badly, he might as well not be on the pitch - he tends to be a passenger.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1088 on: January 11, 2016, 12:05:06 AM »
From the Daily Star tonight

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/486597/James-Morrison-West-Brom-Premier-League-FA-Cup-Bristol-City-Tony-Pulis-Saido-Berahino

Really not sure why we would be releasing him.   Is he a troublemaker (other than thumping Berahino)?   

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1089 on: January 11, 2016, 02:22:19 AM »
Some tough decisions need to be made about the squad soon and Morrison is one of them. I've always liked him but I'm not sure he has enough influence on games on a consistent enough basis especially as he'll be one of our higher earners.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1090 on: January 11, 2016, 06:39:43 AM »
Always like Morrison and though he was our only real Premiership quality player when we flitted between the Prem and the the Championship.
I'd play him ahead of Fletcher any day.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1091 on: January 11, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
From the Daily Star tonight

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/486597/James-Morrison-West-Brom-Premier-League-FA-Cup-Bristol-City-Tony-Pulis-Saido-Berahino

Really not sure why we would be releasing him.   Is he a troublemaker (other than thumping Berahino)?

it's from the Daily Star!
Morrison has given a really good interview in recent match day programs where he was talking about wanting to get into the 300 club like Brunt and about being part of the team that takes West Brom to another (higher) level if possible.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1092 on: January 11, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
The poll attached to the article has 91% wanting him to stay.
Not the first name on the team sheet, but a crucial part of a paper thin squad, definitely should be getting an extension.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1093 on: January 11, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »
He's the kind of player that we need to improve on but has been a good servant and we'll miss him if we fail to replace him.  Can see him potentially returning to Middlesborough should they come up and we don't sort something out first.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1094 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
I think he'll go this summer. Pulis is not afraid to make the tough decisions such as when Mulumbu was let go.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1095 on: January 11, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Pulis wants to build the team around 'Gards' Gardner so players like Morrison are going to be surplus, never mind in 'TP' we trust apparently.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1096 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:49 AM »
Pulis wants to build the team around 'Gards' Gardner so players like Morrison are going to be surplus, never mind in 'TP' we trust apparently.

Even though he's played every game when he's been available?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1097 on: January 11, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
I have been one of Gardner's biggest critics and yes, he does get too much game time, but I don't think anyone could suggest Pulis is building a team around him! Nor can he build a team around Morrison, neither are good enough.
That said, of the two, Morrison is far superior and should be kept on as a squad player. He may, of course, want to go elsewhere for regular football, in which case good luck to him.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1098 on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:52 AM »
I was being sarcastic.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1099 on: January 11, 2016, 10:40:47 AM »