Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 779375 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #400 on: September 05, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
Saido Berahino has scored on his England debut.

1-0.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #401 on: September 05, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »
All words and no action.

He's made a lot of blanket statements and I'm sure is hoping that they might turn out to be true. Let's face it, apart from saying what is obvious to everybody, there was very little plan or substance to his words. It's the basic rhetoric you would expect from someone in the position. There was no recognition of how the changes which are made to improve the game actually ending up harming it further (EPPP). Let's face it, even if he does start trying to implement change, the PL will soon kick up and a fuss and he'll get the boot.

The FA do not run the game in this country and there's no point pretending they do.

By my calculations, in ten years time when this world cup comes round, we'll be relying on the 12, 13, 14, 15 year olds of today who lets face it have had the out-dated coaching methods of hoof it and give it your all forced into them so Dyke's wait might just be a bit longer than he anticipates.

Are you involved in coaching Liam? as thats a bit of a sweeping statement.

I've been coaching youth football for quite a few years & having been brought up watching Albion teams playing good football I've always tried to encourage young players to keep the ball & worked on developing their passing ability.

Now whilst I would say that there are still coaches for who the phrase 'get rid of it' seems to of been invented, I have seen changes & initiatives brought in to attempt to include more technical coaching methods.

Hopefully in time we'll turn the corner in this Country & begin to bring through better technical players able to play at the highest level on the World stage but you're totally wrong Liam to assume you know what coaching methods are currently being taught without experiencing them at first hand. 
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #402 on: September 05, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
I remember Germans commenting on one of the English sides in a recent World Cup. They were shocked over the lack of technical ability of the English players and said that if a German player wasn't comfortably and consistently able to hit passes to the feet to moving team mates 30 yards away they weren't considered for the national team.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #403 on: September 05, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »

I've been coaching youth football for quite a few years & having been brought up watching Albion teams playing good football I've always tried to encourage young players to keep the ball & worked on developing their passing ability.

Now whilst I would say that there are still coaches for who the phrase 'get rid of it' seems to of been invented, I have seen changes & initiatives brought in to attempt to include more technical coaching methods.

Hopefully in time we'll turn the corner in this Country & begin to bring through better technical players able to play at the highest level on the World stage but you're totally wrong Liam to assume you know what coaching methods are currently being taught without experiencing them at first hand.

I agree, I coach an under 15 team.

I can assure you our style is certainly not hoof ball.

The vast majority of the drills I use are based upon one touch control, pass and move.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #404 on: September 05, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
I remember Germans commenting on one of the English sides in a recent World Cup. They were shocked over the lack of technical ability of the English players and said that if a German player wasn't comfortably and consistently able to hit passes to the feet to moving team mates 30 yards away they weren't considered for the national team.

Really? I'd have thought most successful teams, including Germany would be moving away from being concerned over long passing, accuracy or not. To be honest I think most English players would do well at that drill, they're not that technically incompetent.

Indeed its more short quick passes that take apart teams that England have a problem with, alongside their extremely poor movement, rather than their long range passing. That's where England look subpar against teams.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:24:31 PM by Dan »

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Really? I'd have thought most successful teams, including Germany would be moving away from being concerned over long passing, accuracy or not. To be honest I think most English players would do well at that drill, they're not that technically incompetent.

Indeed its more short quick passes that take apart teams that England have a problem with, alongside their extremely poor movement, rather than their long range passing. That's where England look subpar against teams.

Yes, but the Germans have always put a far stronger emphasis on one twos, and good movement off the ball,  than the English game, maybe not so much as the Netherlands with their total football but rather a bit more pragmatic approach. To me that is quintessentially German, look at Joachim Löw, a very x and o coach with astute ideas how to play the game. Very far removed from two banks of four and a lot of chasers and runners...

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »

I've watched quite a few Sunday league matches previously and I got that fed up I gave it in. The standard of football whilst I wasn't expecting to be setting the world alight was one which was eye awakening to be honest. I didn't know anybody there to know the age bracket but the number of players who would rather hit the ball long because of a lack of confidence in their own ability was quite worrying - as was the advice being given to them by their coaches and I assume parents on the touchline. It was all very nervy and seemed like players were frightened to hold the ball in case they were culpable of making a mistake.

I watched one of the sides training warm ups prior to a game and wasn't particularly impressed with that either. It seemed incredibly half arsed with little emphasis on possession - one touch pass and move football. Another thing which was evident the lower down the age bracket I got was those who spent more time running with the ball due to size of the pitches than actually maneuvering the ball - they were out of breath after five minutes. Apologies if I offended you with my generalisation, I didn't mean too and it's good to see that there are coaches who are willing to make possession based games a positive.

I'm hoping to get over to Germany in the next two years and whilst I'm there I'll pay great attention to how their training sessions and matches differ to ours - I must be sad if that's what I intend to do with a holiday. Now I have a bit more time on my hands I'm also looking to try and get watching youth side matches in my local area - despite how annoying I found it last time.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
Saido Berahino has scored on his England debut.

1-0.

Very impressive goal from Berahino too :)

That Redmond kid looks very good as well.

boing boing baggies

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #408 on: September 05, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
Saido Berhainio
Saido Berhainio
He is too goodio
Scores lots of goalsio

saido, saido...saido...

We love you saido we do, we love you saido we do, we love you saido we love you.... west brom west brom   ;D ;D

Poor but fun  :P

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #409 on: September 05, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
Very impressive goal from Berahino too :)

That Redmond kid looks very good as well.

Agreed. Very impressive finish.

Been quite impressed with England. Kept possession well. Admittedly, against a very poor Moldova side.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #410 on: September 05, 2013, 09:12:28 PM »
Despite the big guns England have on the flanks (Zaha, Redmond) Berahino gets very poor service.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
I've watched quite a few Sunday league matches previously and I got that fed up I gave it in. The standard of football whilst I wasn't expecting to be setting the world alight was one which was eye awakening to be honest. I didn't know anybody there to know the age bracket but the number of players who would rather hit the ball long because of a lack of confidence in their own ability was quite worrying - as was the advice being given to them by their coaches and I assume parents on the touchline. It was all very nervy and seemed like players were frightened to hold the ball in case they were culpable of making a mistake.

I watched one of the sides training warm ups prior to a game and wasn't particularly impressed with that either. It seemed incredibly half arsed with little emphasis on possession - one touch pass and move football. Another thing which was evident the lower down the age bracket I got was those who spent more time running with the ball due to size of the pitches than actually maneuvering the ball - they were out of breath after five minutes. Apologies if I offended you with my generalisation, I didn't mean too and it's good to see that there are coaches who are willing to make possession based games a positive.

I'm hoping to get over to Germany in the next two years and whilst I'm there I'll pay great attention to how their training sessions and matches differ to ours - I must be sad if that's what I intend to do with a holiday. Now I have a bit more time on my hands I'm also looking to try and get watching youth side matches in my local area - despite how annoying I found it last time.

No worries, as I said there are still some coaches who get a goalie or defender who can kick the ball into the oppositions penalty area (Ala hoof ball) which invariably results in attempts/goals, this also totally bypasses the 10 or so (depending on age group) players in between, I can only assume you were unlucky enough to have been watching one of those games, thankfully more & more youth coaches are working on technical development now especially since the FA's non competitive initiative a few years back.

Fitness levels amongst young children tends to vary from team to team but I have also seen young lads blowing after a few minutes (too much PS2, facebook, mobiles etc.. MAYBE!).

I do try to watch coaching methods from abroad but must admit I have never studied any from Germany, you'll have to give us the heads up when you've been over there.         
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #412 on: September 05, 2013, 09:17:05 PM »
Despite the big guns England have on the flanks (Zaha, Redmond) Berahino gets very poor service.
to be fair though, Saido's had three defenders on him all game, with the way he's trying to play he's struggling to provide an outlet for them.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
I do know a chap that goes to every England game and every Albiion game and hes got a wife.
He will be boarding a plane to the Ukraine after tonights game, dedication eh
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »
I do like how everyone says England should play football in a particular style (usually Spain, Brazil, Germany etc)

There is no reason why England can't develop their own style which involves hard work and whatever is so drastically looked down upon nowadays.

The thing that doesn't help either is that when somebody makes an effort into attempting to better the national team it is taken as some sort of joke (winning it in 2022).

It's a mess really and needs some strong characters to push the national team forward.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Do you think when JP said we are a mid table champ club he meant England?
There appears to be a feeling at the moment that less and less people care about the national team , I remember a few years ago when I would have to change shifts or do whatever to watch an England match , now even if im at home and its on I find myself either doing something else or watching another international match.
For me the next big nation is Belgium , absolute class from keeper to strikers , they are my tip for the next world cup.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2013, 02:41:43 PM »
When England do well again people will care about them again. For all the excuses about people being sick of the players not caring (which is complete nonsense in the first place and completely misses the point of why England are unsuccessful) it's much like with clubs where attendances and interest fluctuates depending on success.

I find it hard to believe if England were lining up for a world cup semi final next July all these people claiming they couldn't care less would keep that attitude anyway.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
When England do well again people will care about them again. For all the excuses about people being sick of the players not caring (which is complete nonsense in the first place and completely misses the point of why England are unsuccessful) it's much like with clubs where attendances and interest fluctuates depending on success.

I find it hard to believe if England were lining up for a world cup semi final next July all these people claiming they couldn't care less would keep that attitude anyway.

Yeah the "England players don't show enough passion for the shirt" comments that people usually come out with is rubbish, always has been. I always watch the England games and I can't wait for the World Cup.
the regime don't like it man

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
How many good England performances have there been since the 5-1 in Germany 12 years ago?  Performances that we as England fans can be proud of.  Even the glorious failures have been replaced by pathetic exits with a whimper.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »
How many good England performances have there been since the 5-1 in Germany 12 years ago?  Performances that we as England fans can be proud of.  Even the glorious failures have been replaced by pathetic exits with a whimper.

Croatia away 4-1 about 2008 wasn't it? I dunno, I don't bother with England much, Albion keep me miserable enough  :)
Allllllll aboard

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
oh dear! how poor is the Moldova keeper :o

Baggie Boy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
oh dear! how poor is the Moldova keeper :o

Can't catch for toffee.

BaggieJames114

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #422 on: September 08, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
'England players dont care about playing for their country etc etc'

agree its complete nonsense, tell that to the players that ran themselves into the ground playing in Euro2012. We didnt set the world alight no, but those players gave everything they had to compete.

We were unlucky in the end on penalties, but you couldn't walk away from the tournament with anything but commendation for the application the players put in. Watch that Italy game and you can see an absolute masterclass from John Terry. Scott Parker was playing on one leg, we were VERY short on strength in depth with injuries to key players before the tournament.

We will go to the World Cup, absolutely no doubt and with a bit of luck and a fit squad we can compete.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2013, 01:11:39 PM »
Its going to be a typical Roy dull game against the Ukraine.A point is a good result over there
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Its going to be a typical Roy dull game against the Ukraine.A point is a good result over there

I think we'll beat them.  8)
the regime don't like it man