Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 773934 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:56 PM »
England u21s beat Scotland u2s 6-0 at Bramall Lane.

England were very good but it's hard to judge given how poor Scotland were. Some good quality of goals from England tonight which could have easily been avoided from a Scotland point of view.

Saido Berahino was an unused substitute.

Also in the stands was Michael Appleton - potentially the next under 21s coach.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
Just gave my missus ( who is Scottish ) the good news, she flicked me the bird and pi**ed off into the kitchen,  ;D :D
He's a lad from the Wrenna

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #327 on: August 14, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
Also in the stands was Michael Appleton - potentially the next under 21s coach.

'Its who you know, not what you know'.  No doubt in my mind he's only linked with the job by having previously worked with Ashworth and Hodgson.

What has Appleton done to deserve being responsible for the next generation of English footballers?  This is even a step back from Stuart Pearce IMO.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #328 on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
Just gave my missus ( who is Scottish ) the good news, she flicked me the bird and pi**ed off into the kitchen,  ;D :D

Got yeah flag draping out the window up there i hope ;)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #329 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:41 PM »

Got yeah flag draping out the window up there i hope ;)
Way ahead of you there mate. 2 FLAGS out the upstairs window, One St George, one Union Jack............old school !!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »

'Its who you know, not what you know'.  No doubt in my mind he's only linked with the job by having previously worked with Ashworth and Hodgson.

What has Appleton done to deserve being responsible for the next generation of English footballers?  This is even a step back from Stuart Pearce IMO.

I tend to agree. I've been quite critical in the past of the FA appointing their yes men and Appleton just seems like another in the long list of those appointed because they 'tick the boxes' despite having achieved very little in their managerial careers. Michael Appleton has a very disjointed and poor CV in terms of managerial achievements, for him to be given the under 21s job would be silly in my opinion when we've allowed quality coaches like Rene Meulensteen get away without an interest - who despite having a lack of managerial chances is a very highly regarded coach in bringing out players technical ability - he was apparently very important behind the developments of Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck, emphasising the importance of being good on the ball whilst he was working at United as their skills development coach. No doubt if Appleton was to be appointed we would have the same 442 outdated junk which has been served to us previously to no avail and has been criticised by supporters of Portsmouth, Blackpool and Blackburn - clubs whom Appleton managed.

Handsworth Wood Villa

« Reply #331 on: August 14, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
I tend to agree. I've been quite critical in the past of the FA appointing their yes men and Appleton just seems like another in the long list of those appointed because they 'tick the boxes' despite having achieved very little in their managerial careers. Michael Appleton has a very disjointed and poor CV in terms of managerial achievements, for him to be given the under 21s job would be silly in my opinion when we've allowed quality coaches like Rene Meulensteen get away without an interest - who despite having a lack of managerial chances is a very highly regarded coach in bringing out players technical ability - he was apparently very important behind the developments of Tom Cleverley and Danny Welbeck, emphasising the importance of being good on the ball whilst he was working at United as their skills development coach. No doubt if Appleton was to be appointed we would have the same 442 outdated junk which has been served to us previously to no avail and has been criticised by supporters of Portsmouth, Blackpool and Blackburn - clubs whom Appleton managed.

This guy is not even English.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #332 on: August 14, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »

So what? He has coached some of the best English talent in the country over the last 6 years, would have been a very useful addition to the coaching team.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: August 14, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
Neither is Benteke but don't let that slow you down Mr Griffin.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Handsworth Wood Villa

« Reply #334 on: August 14, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
So what? He has coached some of the best English talent in the country over the last 6 years, would have been a very useful addition to the coaching team.

Surely we need to be giving opportunities to young English coaches like Appleton.

How else are we going to get better managers in the future?

Handsworth Wood Villa

« Reply #335 on: August 14, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
Neither is Benteke but don't let that slow you down Mr Griffin.

Benteke doesn't play for England though does he.

But you probably think he should be allowed to.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #336 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
Surely we need to be giving opportunities to young English coaches like Appleton.

How else are we going to get better managers in the future?

I wouldn't trust any young English manager with the job at the moment. It's not a good enough job for some managers to bother with.

In my opinion it should be a coach, these players are all young with plenty to learn and they should be being taught it by good quality coaches.

Thing is with football people don't realise most of the groundwork in training sessions is laid out by the coaching staff and these coaches don't get high enough recognition.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #337 on: August 14, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Predictions for tonights game?

3-1 England Wooney and a pitch invasion at the end
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:58:47 PM by Jack Russell »
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »

And your point is?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:14:59 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
Predictions for tonights game?

3-1 England Wooney and a pitch invasion at the end

Seeing an awful lot of arrogance from England supporters on Twitter which is setting us up for a downfall in my opinion. Scotland played very well in their victory in Croatia a month or two ago and from what I've seen have looked much better under Strachan.

If a side is going to win it shall be a goal either way, but I personally see this being a 1-1 draw which shall be another embarrassment for English football.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
Seeing an awful lot of arrogance from England supporters on Twitter which is setting us up for a downfall in my opinion. Scotland played very well in their victory in Croatia a month or two ago and from what I've seen have looked much better under Strachan.

If a side is going to win it shall be a goal either way, but I personally see this being a 1-1 draw which shall be another embarrassment for English football.
Croatia also played very VERY poorly....

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »
I'm going for a 3-2 win.  Dorrans and Morrison to both score and play well but a win for England.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2013, 04:13:59 PM »
Anybody seen what the Tartan Army have done to Trafalgar square? Filling it up with washing up liquid  :D

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: August 14, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »

How can you call it arrogance and then say a 1-1 draw would be an embarrassment?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
How can you call it arrogance and then say a 1-1 draw would be an embarrassment?

It was a lot of political arrogance rather than anything football related - although I have seen some over excited predictions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:15:46 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Handsworth Wood Villa

« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
And your point is?

This country is a shambles at running our national game, producing footballers and producing coaches. I read a statistic the other day which stated that the number of British coaches wanting to get into the game is continuing to drop whilst other nations like Spain and Germany continue to rise. I have no problem in choosing English coaches provided they have the qualifications and experience to do the job - more worryingly is that there is very little to choose from and someone like Appleton, who appears to be continuing with out-dated methods is certainly not the way forward for English football - we need to get away from yes men who 'tick the boxes'.

Appointing foreign coaches is an embarrassment.

You talk about Spain and Germany, did they use foreign coaches to turn-around their success?

No.

They did it themselves.

We've got St George's Park now.

Let's do it ourselves.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
Appointing foreign coaches is an embarrassment.

You talk about Spain and Germany, did they use foreign coaches to turn-around their success?

No.

They did it themselves.

We've got St George's Park now.

Let's do it ourselves.

I don't care about who is in charge providing our national team is successful.

Spain and Germany have had the foresight to enhance academies whilst produce exciting, technical footballers who treat the ball as a friend and not as an alien like our country seems too. The point I was making when talking about them is that the lack of people in this country applying to become coaches is vastly smaller than those nations - the ratio of coaches to players in this country is 1:812 whereas in Spain it's 1:17.

We are a long way behind.

And St Georges Park - brilliant. That is really going to solve the problem of English football.

We need more facilities like those dotted around the country. It's quite stationary having it placed in Burton. One down south, one in London, one up North would be beneficial - of course I realise money makes that an issue.

Then we have to address what they're being taught. Sessions need to be innovative. Pitches could do with being smaller and having 4 on 4 games, allowing young players more touches of the ball in a tight environment. They then need to be taught tactically, how to overcome situations and what is expected of 442 formation, or 352, or a 4231 etc - whether this happens at St Georges Park or academies at football clubs.

In addition to that point above, this needs to be happening from a very young age. Get them playing football and receiving coaching at the ages of 5 and 6, not too late that they've missed out on vital parts of their development. Children learn a lot from their moment their born until the age of six - in that time we should be getting them involved and taught the fundamentals of the game - pass and control.

That's just the start of it.

And then later down the line it will need changes to the leagues to allow them a platform to perform.

Having St Georges Park and hoping that will magically produce footballers won't work.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:34:22 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2013, 07:54:42 PM »
I'm going for a 3-0 England win tonight, The Scots look very weak at the back, not a great deal of experience there either and our front six look very strong tonight. I really hope that James Morrison plays well and that he doesn't pick up an injury too.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
Ridiculous goalkeeping.

James Morrison scores for Scotland  :)

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »
How Hart is in the team ahead of Foster is beyond me.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak