Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 781348 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #1125 on: February 17, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »
Not having it, wouldn't have him near the starting XI.

Who would you have out of interest?

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1126 on: February 18, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »
Who would you have out of interest?

If fit Sturridge and Kane.

If not fit then Kane on his own with 3 attacking mids.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1127 on: February 18, 2016, 02:11:35 AM »
The side would be better off without him but he's the captain and a name so he'll be going. Vardy, Barkley and Walcott behind Kane is what I'd opt for personally. Can see Rooney playing in the middle of the park this summer.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1128 on: February 18, 2016, 08:52:00 AM »
encouraging potential we have to do well this summer, without rooney hopefully aswell
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1129 on: March 01, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »
Is reg vardy a cert for the euros?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1130 on: March 04, 2016, 09:14:07 AM »
Rashford of Man Ure could be called up for the summer euros, so called big clubs again ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:27:32 AM by WBAinDEVON »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1131 on: March 04, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »
Rashford of Man Ure could be called up for the summer euros, big clubs again ???

That'll be a joke if he is.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1132 on: March 04, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
Hodgson is so blinkered towards the you know whos

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1133 on: March 04, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
With you on this Jacko, most over-rated player EVER.

Huh?

over-rated...i know football is about opinions but its pretty clear to me anyway that he is not overrated but is rightly revered as a top player.

244 in 511 for Utd 261 in 588 career total and 51 in 109 for England.

so thats 312 goals in 697 games in total

2nd in the all time Premier League goalscorer

98 assists, 3rd in all time Prem list behind Giggs and Gerrard

3 titles
1 champs league
2 league cups
1 fifa world cup

yep he is overrated  ::)

You don't do all of the above if you are overrated, you do all of the above if you are world class player

Its that simple

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1134 on: March 04, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
Huh?

over-rated...i know football is about opinions but its pretty clear to me anyway that he is not overrated but is rightly revered as a top player.

244 in 511 for Utd 261 in 588 career total and 51 in 109 for England.

so thats 312 goals in 697 games in total

2nd in the all time Premier League goalscorer

98 assists, 3rd in all time Prem list behind Giggs and Gerrard

3 titles
1 champs league
2 league cups
1 fifa world cup

yep he is overrated  ::)

You don't do all of the above if you are overrated, you do all of the above if you are world class player

Its that simple

Never performed in a "world" scenario. End of !

BTW,1 FIFA world cup,  who are we discussing here?

I hope you are not using the one-off money making fiasco game between Copa de Americas and Champions league winners as an argument relating to "Rooney being world class"
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1135 on: March 04, 2016, 12:40:48 PM »
Never performed in a "world" scenario. End of !

BTW,1 FIFA world cup,  who are we discussing here?

I hope you are not using the one-off money making fiasco game between Copa de Americas and Champions league winners as an argument relating to "Rooney being world class"

FIFA World club cup sorry mistyped

end of?? I don't think so....

Neither Messi or Ronaldo have really lit up a world cup either so are are they overrated???

The facts speak for themselves, but you are entitled to your opinion

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1136 on: March 04, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »
You want to listen to what his peers think about him only then will you realise how class the lad has been throughout his career

You are not alone in your thinking though there are plenty of others who feel the same as you but i cant agree at all, having watched him from the age of 16 burst onto the scene I've always thought of him as a world class player.

He isn't the same player as he was granted but you cannot discount his pedigree at all.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1137 on: March 04, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
You want to listen to what his peers think about him only then will you realise how class the lad has been throughout his career

You are not alone in your thinking though there are plenty of others who feel the same as you but i cant agree at all, having watched him from the age of 16 burst onto the scene I've always thought of him as a world class player.

He isn't the same player as he was granted but you cannot discount his pedigree at all.

We will have to agree to disagree, i guess it could be about definitions of world class.

For me the definition is - would you pick a player in your first choice 11 for the the world?
For me WR would never have met that criteria,

The last Englishman to have made "world class" were probably Michael Owen and Paul Gascoigne, (possibly Becks & Scholes at their very best)
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1138 on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:31 PM »
According to the Sun, Hodgson says Wiltshire will definitely go if he plays between now and end of season. Ludicrous, if true.
Drinkwater or Noble should get the chance, they have had and still are having great seasons.
It's this sort of mentality that holds us back at International level.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1139 on: March 04, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »
We will have to agree to disagree, i guess it could be about definitions of world class.

For me the definition is - would you pick a player in your first choice 11 for the the world?
For me WR would never have met that criteria,

The last Englishman to have made "world class" were probably Michael Owen and Paul Gascoigne, (possibly Becks & Scholes at their very best)

Gascoigne definitely, Michael Owen is nowhere near as good a footballer as Rooney and doesnt even have as many goals or trophies.

Becks and Scholes were without doubt World Class but then people think Beckham was overrated aswell.

I wouldnt pick Christiano Ronaldo in my first World XI over any period but clearly he is world class and there are countless players who are world class throughout my life who wouldnt get into my starting XI either but were undoubtedly world class so for me not picking someone in a World XI over any period is no argument for a player not getting that status.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1140 on: March 04, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »
Gascoigne definitely, Michael Owen is nowhere near as good a footballer as Rooney and doesnt even have as many goals or trophies.

Becks and Scholes were without doubt World Class but then people think Beckham was overrated aswell.

I wouldnt pick Christiano Ronaldo in my first World XI over any period but clearly he is world class and there are countless players who are world class throughout my life who wouldnt get into my starting XI either but were undoubtedly world class so for me not picking someone in a World XI over any period is no argument for a player not getting that status.

I'm struggling with what you mean by world class then, Not trying to be an backside, I'm just missing the point I think.
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1141 on: March 04, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
I'm struggling with what you mean by world class then, Not trying to be an backside, I'm just missing the point I think.

I know you are not fella....What are you struggling to understand from me though.

There are many players id class as world class, it doesnt mean they have necessarily lit up a world cup but their overall contribution to football and either what they achieved domestically or what their game was like for me a supporter to watch.

Players like Hagi, Stoichkov were world class footballers, but they wouldn't get into an XI I would pick....Messi possibly wouldnt get in due to Maradona I would choose Van Basten and Fat Ronaldo as my front 2 possibly but that doesnt mean Shearer wasnt world class or Cantona for that matter...do you see what i mean??

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1142 on: March 04, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »
I know you are not fella....What are you struggling to understand from me though.

There are many players id class as world class, it doesnt mean they have necessarily lit up a world cup but their overall contribution to football and either what they achieved domestically or what their game was like for me a supporter to watch.

Players like Hagi, Stoichkov were world class footballers, but they wouldn't get into an XI I would pick....Messi possibly wouldnt get in due to Maradona I would choose Van Basten and Fat Ronaldo as my front 2 possibly but that doesnt mean Shearer wasnt world class or Cantona for that matter...do you see what i mean??

Ok, I see where the confusion is, what i was trying to say (and failing) was a top 11 at that point in time,
ie today I would have
                   Neuer,

Alves,    Ramos,   Kompany,   french bloke

Robben, Goetze   DeBruyne

Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo,  Messi,

Not an englishman in sight or even near frankly, getting back to Wayne, I can't imagine i would ever have picked him on this basis
Albion Family !!!

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1143 on: March 04, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »
Ok, I see where the confusion is, what i was trying to say (and failing) was a top 11 at that point in time,
ie today I would have
                   Neuer,

Not an englishman in sight or even near frankly, getting back to Wayne, I can't imagine i would ever have picked him on this basis

So Suarez is not world class? Bale? Neymar? Lewandowski? Courtois not world class? There is no central midfielder in the world that is world class because they don't get in your top 11?

Ridiculous to use this as a definition for world class.  There can be more than 11 world class players in the world.

Rooney, over his career, has been one of the best English players ever.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:55:45 PM by robbo_wba »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1144 on: March 04, 2016, 03:15:08 PM »
So Suarez is not world class? Bale? Neymar? Lewandowski? Courtois not world class? There is no central midfielder in the world that is world class because they don't get in your top 11?

Ridiculous to use this as a definition for world class.  There can be more than 11 world class players in the world.

Rooney wouldn't get in an all time England XI for me. He also wouldn't go to the Euro's this summer.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1145 on: March 04, 2016, 03:22:01 PM »

You could pick another 'World Class XI' and Rooney still wouldn't be in it.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1146 on: March 04, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
ie today I would have
                   Neuer,

Fair enough I don't agree with that side at all though fella.

some good players in there but World Class?? not all of those are in my opinion

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1147 on: March 04, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »
You could pick another 'World Class XI' and Rooney still wouldn't be in it.

And you could pick another aswell and he might not get in that one....doesnt mean he isn't a world class player or for the duration of his career been a world class player. because he has and he is proven

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1148 on: March 04, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »

Ok, if its ridiculous, how many world class players can there be at any one time ??? Surely you have to draw the line somewhere? If not 11, would you say 20, 30, 40..... 100??

To me its equally ridiculous that anything above 20 players could be deemed as world class, I chose to use 11 as I think its easy to name a side, rather than a list with no end. 

I apologise for being ridiculous, but hey you know what i'll get over it  ;D

Oh and on Rooney being one of the best england players ever, are you honestly saying he's been better than Shilton, Banks, Moore, Charlton, Lineker, Hurst, Greaves, Ball, Mortenson, Wright, Matthews, to name oops 11   :-*
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:34:26 PM by Albionic »
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1149 on: March 04, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
Ok, if its ridiculous, how many world class players can there be at any one time ??? Surely you have to draw the line somewhere? If not 11, would you say 20, 30, 40..... 100??

To me its equally ridiculous that anything above 20 players could be deemed as world class, I chose to use 11 as I think its easy to name a side, rather than a list with no end. 

I apologise for being ridiculous, but hey you know what i'll get over it  ;D

Oh and on Rooney being one of the best england players ever, are you honestly saying he's been better than Shilton, Banks, Moore, Charlton, Lineker, Hurst, Greaves, Ball, Mortenson, Wright, Matthews, to name oops 11   :-*

There can be as many world class players as there are?? there is no limit to how many there can be!!

And yes Rooney is up there with the best players ever, his overall ability for a start and he currently has the goalscoring record. what more does he need to be up there with the best??. When he received his award for breaking the record Bobby Charlton told you all you need to know about what everyone else thinks go him in the football world.

You named 11... what about Gascoigne who you mentioned in another post but not in this one, Bryan Robson, Scholes, Beckham
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:39:55 PM by tommcneill »