Yokuslu
9 (1.8%)
Fellows
3 (0.6%)
Asante
76 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Voting closes: June 29, 2024, 11:06:06 AM

Author Topic: State of the Squad - (Championship 2024/25)  (Read 8996 times)

KYA, daviesk10, Beefy, stoxman, graka and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

Re: State of the Squad - (Championship 2024/25)
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2024, 09:53:01 AM »
To be honest, any we get offers for if we don't go up.  If we do go up by some miracle we really need a total squad transplant over the next five years, so I'd use the windfall to start that process and accept we will almost certainly be relegated.  Repeat the Megson yo-yo years basically.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2024, 10:45:51 AM »
I like the 'You may only select up to 12 options' bit when there are only twelve options.

Reads like an open request to the club to 'get rid of this lot if remotely possible please'  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2024, 11:15:21 AM »
I only chose Townsend, not that I think he deserves to go, but the time is right for him and the club to part company, things have reached the point that he will be vilified for every mistake.

I would out Bartley / Phillips (no new contracts) as well

As others have said, if we can find buyers anyone else has a price.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2024, 12:50:19 PM »
I like the 'You may only select up to 12 options' bit when there are only twelve options.

Reads like an open request to the club to 'get rid of this lot if remotely possible please'  ;D .

Surely not? Given their quality and all that .... 8)

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2024, 04:10:01 AM »
Love all this talk about who we let go at the end of the season.  I'd love to know who we are going to bring in!!

Blowee

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2024, 07:08:07 AM »
Love all this talk about who we let go at the end of the season.  I'd love to know who we are going to bring in!!
No one until there are significant departures.

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2024, 09:58:45 AM »
Basically now we aren't a Premier League club, and the parachute payments have long since stopped, we are going to be on an equal footing with 21 other clubs from next season if we don't go up via the play offs, so we have to be realistic about the squad.  We all know that many of our players aren't the complete package and if they were they would be off to bigger and better things in the summer, but many of them are capable of a proper push for promotion with the right additions.  For these reasons, I hope that Mr Patel is working behind then scenes to bring some proper football people into the club that can utilise the loan market properly and try and unearth some hidden gems from the foreign leagues.  Everyone says that Ipswich are an anomaly this season, but when you see the players they brought in it isn't as surprising that they're up the top end of the table.  We need to be smart and working at bringing players in for next season already, especially as you can't just buy your way out of the division any more. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 10:03:15 AM by baggieboy79 »
Beware of the wolf in sheep's clothing

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2024, 10:36:31 AM »
Judging by Corberan’s comments in the Express and Star, it looks like he’d rather the average age of the squad go up rather than down, which is extremely concerning.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2024, 10:51:44 AM »
Judging by Corberan’s comments in the Express and Star, it looks like he’d rather the average age of the squad go up rather than down, which is extremely concerning.
Managers are like politicians they say what they think will cause the least disruption, it would'nt have been very wise  before our most important game of the season to say yes the team is getting old and as soon as this season is finished I'll be shifting a good many out!
Take it with a pinch of salt.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2024, 11:11:16 AM »

I couldn't read the full article as not a member but i didn't like how it started. Anyone able to put it on here?

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2024, 11:21:27 AM »
When you are managing an ageing squad; it's best for morale that you don't bang on about how old your squad is.  Leadership 101.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2024, 01:08:02 PM »
I am not too sure we will get that massive overhaul that some will be craving - nor do I expect us to place any reliance on our academy who are going to be central to us in bringing in additional income in the next few years. I do expect our recruitment of recent seasons to continue.

My own personal view is that the likes of Taylor, Whitwell, Fellows, Malcolm will need to have a degree of faith shown in them to be included pretty much every week next season. If we're not going to use them then it is pointless us having an academy.

Our approach next year needs to see us reduce the average age and bring more legs into our team - we're not a very dynamic outfit when you compare us to rest of the top six. We're very pragmatic in our approach and that's largely because we're not capable of doing anything else.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2024, 03:17:22 PM »
I would imagine we will be giving Bologna's squad players some "opportunities" as well
Maybe loaning some of our young un's there for experience and value add too
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2024, 04:19:12 PM »
I would imagine we will be giving Bologna's squad players some "opportunities" as well
Maybe loaning some of our young un's there for experience and value add too

Patel's involvement in Bologna is minimal - his investment group have a minority stake and as far as I'm aware he isn't involved, nor has he appointed anyone to act on his behalf. I'm not saying we won't look to make it worth our while, but equally I don't think we're entering into a situation like Watford/Udinese.

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2024, 09:30:00 PM »
Patel's involvement in Bologna is minimal - his investment group have a minority stake and as far as I'm aware he isn't involved, nor has he appointed anyone to act on his behalf. I'm not saying we won't look to make it worth our while, but equally I don't think we're entering into a situation like Watford/Udinese.
Thanks for crushing my optimism
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2024, 06:38:54 AM »
Apologies, Albionic  ;)

Taking things position by position:

Goalkeeper - both Palmer and Griffiths are under contract for next season. It feels like a waste having both at the club, but equally I wouldn't want Ted Cann as our permanent number 2 because we'd be one injury away from him playing every week. Palmer's shot-stopping by the stats is about league average - he neither saves more than he should, nor does he let more in than you'd expect. we don't need to do anything but if Palmer is going to be our no 1 for the next few seasons then keeping Griffiths seems a waste of both his talent and a potential fee.

Full back - Furlong is under contract for one more year, but he's not had any real competition for a good few seasons. Is Ethan Ingram viewed favourably? We need an understudy to replace Furlong eventually, as he generally relies on his physical attributes so you would expect a sharper decline when those fail him.

On the other side, the same goes for Townsend but with more urgency as Townsend is older. Ashworth is at a make-or-break point with us. He's been out on loan this year so either he's ready to play some role or we think he isn't in which case there's the door.

Centre back - Ajayi and Taylor are under contract. I think we'd listen to offers for Ajayi ordinarily, but currently we need him. I do wonder if he'd b happy on the bench for another season if we brought in players CC preferred? At this stage of his career, he may want guaranteed game time.

Centre Mid - Yokuslu and Molumby both have a year left. Yokuslu's game has never been about running and he's one of the most press-resistant players we have. I would see if a 1+1 deal could be agreed. With only one senior centre mid otherwise on the books, I'd be loath to sell him, though I imagine he'd be a top earner for us once clear some of the deadwood.
Molumby was reduced to a bench role when Mowatt took prominence. At 24 he's a good age and his worth rate and stamina is something we lack. Not the most gifted footballer but I think him and Okay could compliment each other well.
Beyond those, we need to see if Heard or Whitwell can make the step up. They are training with the first team so there's no reason for CC not to know what they can do.

Right wing - Wallace has two years and is skipper. He's not going anywhere. Fellows seems like a good rotation option on the right, so I don't think we need to do anything here.

Number 10 - Swift, in my opinion, has flattered to deceive. He shows flashes of brilliance. Sometimes I think he can be needlessly selfish - he loves to hit knuckleball shots and I'm not sure he's scored on. Beyond Swift, we lack a proper back-up. Diangana has been played here, as has Wallace. I think Whitwell can play further forward too?

Left wing - Diangana is 25 and has a year left. Do we cash in? Would a promoted/relegated team (i.e. someone with money) think he's worth a punt? He'd be a first choice here but we can't let him leave for nothing.
Grant will be back but I can't seem him in CC's plans. Our best hope is a sale or another loan.

Striker - Our best stocked position on paper. Dike and Maja are under contract for two more years, while BTA is entering his final year. The medical team will need to be honest about the level Dike can come back to. Having these three forwards may be overkill given we also have Faal, Malcolm, maybe Cleary as back ups, plus we don't know if we can offload Grant.

All in all, we can field a reasonable 11, but our depth will not be good

Palmer

Furlong
Ajayi
Taylor
Townsend

Yokuslu
Molumby

Wallace
Swift
Diangana

Maja

Subs: Griffiths, Fellows, BTA, Dike, Grant, Whitwell, Heard

He/him

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2024, 02:08:57 PM »

I'd love us to target the SPL, Belgian First Division, Ligue 2, lower half of La Liga (potentially optimistic)...if I was throwing a left field suggestion I'd say that the Turkish Super Lig isn't awash with money outside of the big three or four. Maybe the Swiss or Austrian leagues too.

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2024, 02:57:53 PM »
I'd love us to target the SPL, Belgian First Division, Ligue 2, lower half of La Liga (potentially optimistic)...if I was throwing a left field suggestion I'd say that the Turkish Super Lig isn't awash with money outside of the big three or four. Maybe the Swiss or Austrian leagues too.
Find the next gen of Sharner / Sneekes / Maresca / Pereira / Siggy / Balis... Do I need to go on, ability and character is what's needed
Albion Family !!!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2024, 06:02:15 PM »

I’d def add in the Croatian, Bulgarian and all the other Eastern European nations

Find some absolute crackers there

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2024, 06:06:46 PM »
Find the next gen of Sharner / Sneekes / Maresca / Pereira / Siggy / Balis... Do I need to go on, ability and character is what's needed

Along with being eligible to play over here in the Championship. I'm sure Pearcy's got his finger on the qualifying criteria pulse though so we should be fine  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2024, 06:12:52 PM »
https://fbref.com/en/players/e26a9a17/Josh-Flint

The kind of player we should be looking at.

He's English so no need to worry about work permits, but he's played over 3000 minutes in the Eredivisie and is 23, can play centre back and left back. He's out of contract in the summer.

Not saying we should specifically sign him, but the type of player we should be looking at.

I’d def add in the Croatian, Bulgarian and all the other Eastern European nations

Find some absolute crackers there

Work permit rules make life slightly harder but as you say, there are gems to be found. They also introduced a rule I don't fully grasp which basically says if you have plenty of British/English players already, you can bring in a foreign player without jumping through all the usual work permit hoops

He/him

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2024, 11:01:55 PM »
I think we will get in the playoffs but not get promoted.

As a club i understand the Premier League is the gravy train and we need to be there but as a fan i dont think i want us to go up, i like the championship, the fact anyone can beat anyone, the extra games, etc.

However my concern with going up would be that we get lazy, we would be three weeks behind other promoted teams and i could see us offering the likes of Bartley, Phillips, etc an extra year or two as we will have the funds to do it and its easy.

If we stay down then our budget will force us to let them go and start to be creative with our recruitment, the only one i would be going all out to keep would be Kipre.

We have a real chance to freshen the squad up with half of it potentially leaving, i hope we make the most of it, if we went up and rebuilt the squad and made it clear whatever happens Corberan is staying then i would be happy with that as long as we stuck to it, none of this if struggling in January we sack him and get a firefighter in, again, i would like to think Patel isnt like that but when there are sums of money involved like the Premier League it can change peoples approach.

It shouldnt be like that but if we go up then we would have one eye on the next season in the championship, very much like the Mowbray times, as stated it shouldnt be like that but the Premier League has created a monster, there is every chance the three promoted teams from last season will come back down with Sheffield United and Burnley barely putting up a fight, that shows what we would up against.

I have full faith that Corberan could build a good squad but from what i have been told although he has a say, he is very much he will coach who he has rather than demand things from the recruitment.

Be interesting to see how the young lads returning from loans do, i dont think any have pulled up any trees but neither did Fellows last season and now he is an important first team player, i would imagine Malcolm will be moved on as he hasmt gone back on loan nor really featured even when we had no strikers, probably Ashworth too as the fact we were ready to sell if Bolton wanted him say CC wasnt a fan and i looked and he has only played 16 times for Bolton so not sure he will of changed his opinion.

Along with the players who are out of contract and loans ending, i would probably cash in on Griffiths, Swift and Ajayi if possible, i dont think either of those two wi get any better, ideally Townsend too but i cant see us letting that many go.

It should be an interesting summer whatever league we are in, we have a real chance to reset and i hope we take it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 11:19:51 PM by Albion79 »

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2024, 08:48:41 AM »
Apologies, Albionic  ;)

Taking things position by position:

Centre Mid - Yokuslu and Molumby both have a year left. Yokuslu's game has never been about running and he's one of the most press-resistant players we have. I would see if a 1+1 deal could be agreed. With only one senior centre mid otherwise on the books, I'd be loath to sell him, though I imagine he'd be a top earner for us once clear some of the deadwood.
Molumby was reduced to a bench role when Mowatt took prominence. At 24 he's a good age and his worth rate and stamina is something we lack. Not the most gifted footballer but I think him and Okay could compliment each other well.
Beyond those, we need to see if Heard or Whitwell can make the step up. They are training with the first team so there's no reason for CC not to know what they can do.

All in all, we can field a reasonable 11, but our depth will not be good

Palmer

Furlong
Ajayi
Taylor
Townsend

Yokuslu
Molumby

Wallace
Swift
Diangana

Maja

Subs: Griffiths, Fellows, BTA, Dike, Grant, Whitwell, Heard

Are you assuming we sell Mowatt and Kipre or are they out of contract?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2024, 08:52:34 AM »
Are you assuming we sell Mowatt and Kipre or are they out of contract?

They are out of contract

He/him

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2024, 09:55:43 AM »
Replacing depends on finance and good scouting. I hope we have both.

I think our squad is unbalanced and has weaknesses back to front - we finished midtable for two seasons, and I genuinely believe with a different manager could be where Blues are. We have no real striker - certainly no-one to hold the ball - and we have two very poor full backs, especially Townsend. Then add the likes of Diangana, who flatter to deceive and deliver far less than they promise. It’s a motley crew,

Corberan has done a marvellous job to lift a team that screams mid-table or worse to where we are. It needs a significant refresh.

But do we have the money? And do we have the scouting to pick up the bargains we need?