Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 765400 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
one way or another, i think he's Hodgson's type of player. like others have said, he's suited to a 4-4-2 which Hodgson enjoys. My prediction is Brunt wont star often this season but (IF hodgson stays) next year we'll start buying players to match a 4-4-2. But (and i may be spectacularly wrong) With Odem on the right may turn into 4-3-3.

But i'm just a fan. i have no tactical nouse. so I may be wrong  ;D

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
Some rate him, some don't, some are in-between, simple as that, its what forums like this are for.

I would like to think im intelligent enough to realise that its all about opinions Oldbury. Still doesnt change my view though. I dont think there would be any PL teams outside the top 4/5 who wouldnt have Brunty in their squad. So I struggle to see how people can write his ability off in the way they sometimes seem to. I think there is plenty of hard evidence to support that view over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
one way or another, i think he's Hodgson's type of player. like others have said, he's suited to a 4-4-2 which Hodgson enjoys. My prediction is Brunt wont star often this season but (IF hodgson stays) next year we'll start buying players to match a 4-4-2. But (and i may be spectacularly wrong) With Odem on the right may turn into 4-3-3.

But i'm just a fan. i have no tactical nouse. so I may be wrong  ;D

Au contraire Hunnington, I think you have plenty of tactical nous  ;D

I think Brunt has a very 'Chris Waddle laid back type, body language' on the pitch & does come over a bit lazy at times to me, I know a NI fan who only goes to NI matches & apparently a lot of their fans think the same about him.

He has undoubted ability & is definitely a good option for certain games when we perhaps need something different but for the life of me I cannot see any captain material.   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
I would like to think im intelligent enough to realise that its all about opinions Oldbury. Still doesnt change my view though. I dont think there would be any PL teams outside the top 4/5 who wouldnt have Brunty in their squad. So I struggle to see how people can write his ability off in the way they sometimes seem to. I think there is plenty of hard evidence to support that view over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I'm not stupid (some might beg to differ !!) and I wouldn't dispute others clubs would snap him up given half a chance. I also wouldn't write off his ability and as far as I am aware I have never done so. I know he has qualities but for me he is best used as a wide player, his best games for us have come as a wide player, he came as a wide player and played an important role out there. He has one of the best left foots around and one of the best ways of scoring a goal is getting a cross into the box (its how we concede many of them).  I remember Bednars debut at Plymouth where one of his goals came from a cracking Brunt cross.

In the middle at times he looks lost and the game passes him by. Yes he will put the odd pass through but in the main he is not suited to that position and I would pick the other midfielders at the club over him every time. He might have the odd good game in there but overall I doubt he will become a succesful centre midfielder in the Prem.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
I'm not stupid (some might beg to differ !!) and I wouldn't dispute others clubs would snap him up given half a chance. I also wouldn't write off his ability and as far as I am aware I have never done so. I know he has qualities but for me he is best used as a wide player, his best games for us have come as a wide player, he came as a wide player and played an important role out there. He has one of the best left foots around and one of the best ways of scoring a goal is getting a cross into the box (its how we concede many of them).  I remember Bednars debut at Plymouth where one of his goals came from a cracking Brunt cross.

In the middle at times he looks lost and the game passes him by. Yes he will put the odd pass through but in the main he is not suited to that position and I would pick the other midfielders at the club over him every time. He might have the odd good game in there but overall I doubt he will become a succesful centre midfielder in the Prem.

I agree with you Oldbury, so you can't be that stupid (or we both are  ;D)

Brunt's best position is Left wing, then right wing, then in the middle if necessary. I thought Brunt would be able to adapt and become successful in the middle but it hasn't worked out. He needs to be out wide and drifting in now and then.

The problem for us is that Thomas is right footed but plays on the left, he is poor on the right wing, so we need to play Brunt on the right to accommodate Thomas. We could drop one of them but Brunt is captain and a key player for us and Thomas is one of our few players with pace and trickery.

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
In this formation, I'm not sure where Brunt fits in. If he's played on the right, he always cuts in and that seems to cut down the space Mozza has. I don't think he's good enough to play central midfield for us consistently, plus Andrews and Mulumbu have made those two roles their own.

The only place I see for him is on the left, with Odemwingie on the right, but then JT is a massive player for us, particularly away from home.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
Phil was 50% responsible for deploying andy brewer as a deep lying playmaker - you can't buy nouse like that!
I only go for the beer.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Phil was 50% responsible for deploying andy brewer as a deep lying playmaker - you can't buy nouse like that!

:D and that was a quality move  8)

Letting Campo take a pen however wasn't one of the best  :o

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
If it wasn't for David Beckham's supremely talented right foot he probably would have been a mediocre PL player. You could pretty much level the 'what if' scenario at any player. The fact is, Chris Brunt has one of the best left foots in the business and has the vision to execute passes and crosses that other players in our team don't. He was in the top 3/4 players for assist last season. You don't get those sort of statistics through luck, you get them through being a very good player.

I'm not saying Brunt's rubbish and I like him as a player. In my final sentence I said he was valuable to have for making chances. The thing is, he is very one footed. I was merely pointing it out. In fact, I was answering why so many other fans who didn't support West Brom rated him. Basically because Brunt's style is so attacking, that whenever our highlights are shown he will be featured. He can hardly be compared to someone like Morrison or Andrews who does a bit of everything.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
Its not knee jerk from today as i've always consistently said the same starting away at Coventry pre-season a couple of years ago when it was first tried.

We know!  :D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »
I feel Brunt may well be worked on by the coaching staff in the summer to try and help him develop his game in the middle.

I will say however he may have a place out wide as I believe when Gera is back we will deploy him behind a striker so the 4-3-3 will not need two pacey wide men as we have now.

I would think we will have two pacey players wide at home and then change to a more 4-4-1-1 away with Brunt being wider in that midfield.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2012, 07:10:18 PM »
Well RDM was the first to try it and that was 18 months ago so if its not worked in 18 months then I fail to see how it can work in the future. I'd rather see us continue to develop young players who are natural central players and bring in naturally central players than ruin a perfectly good wide player who can offer so much when played in the correct way.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
I dont think he can play wide in a 4-3-3 as he hasnt got the pace so we look uneven.

In a 4-4-1-1 he wont need that pace if that makes sense.

We might be seeing him becoming a squad player as we develop, however no way would I get rid.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Brunt "has been woked on" for 2 years to win a CM place.  It's too late for this.  With every year he is losing pace.  Surely next season Zoltan will be ahead of him in the pecking order as he's a far better player and natural athlete. 

Brunt is not an athlete.  This is what did for Greening in the end also.  JG is now in the lower reaches of championship.  It's amazing to think RH purchased him for Fulham, what a blooper that was.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
I would imagine Gera will not be used as a midfielder next season at all.

We may see him in the Fortune role in a 4-3-3 or the withdrawn forward role in a 4-4-1-1, he played both for Fulham I believe.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
Either way I look at our midfield and subsequently rate almost every single one as more effective.  The exceptions being Thorne, Cox, Scharner (possibly).

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2012, 07:35:02 PM »
Isn't greening like 34 years old now? Hence the move down into the ccc?
I only go for the beer.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
Either way I look at our midfield and subsequently rate almost every single one as more effective.  The exceptions being Thorne, Cox, Scharner (possibly).

It all depends what formation Roy decides to play in the 4-3-3 we are currently playing I think other players are more effective in a 4-4-1-1 which we are likely to use when Gera is back, Brunts range of passing will be instrumental to its success.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Greening is 33, DOB 2/1/79.

I think Greening when at Brunt's age was definitely quicker.  I remember in 2004/05 when deployed on the flank with Gera, Greening could beat a man, he never had to cross from a standing position (as with Brunt).  Although never that quick he wasn't exactly slow until he reached about 30.

I can remember Brunt from his 1st Albion season (2007/08 i think) and he's definitely slowed down since.  He was at least mobile then, now he has the pace of a 33 year old probably.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
I do certainly think Brunty has a lot to offer us and I certainly wouldn't look to get rid. He has the makings of my opinion of a very good Premier League player, however, it's been clear to see in the last two games that he has slowed down the pace of our game. Maybe, we should alter the system and not require him to play in a position which we can't?

I think he's under rated by our fans I really do, however, getting a system to fit all the players will become a problem.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
You say accomodate Brunt but we've hit on a system starting with Wolves away where we've just been magical, culminating in beating Chelski 1-0.

Why are we fiddling about with a tried-and-trusted method?

I sincerley hope RH goes back to our best team next week - otherwise we'll go backwards at an alarming rate.

Why bend over backwards for Brunt? - he would be towards the bottom of a hypothetical league of our 2011/12 best players.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »
Brunt doesn't have the engine or the bite to play in the centre of the park. No coincidence that we have looked far more fluid when he was out injured. Andrews and PO back in for him and Scharner next match for me.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
I'm glad that he is back, I think he may take him another week or to, to get back to full fitness. I didnt think he was that good Yesterday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »

How is JT more effective than Brunt? JT can't cross, shoot and can just about pass if somebody is 5 yards away from him. JT gets the ball and runs with it, that's it. That's his one trick. And he is basically only good on the left wing.

Brunt has vision and imagination and can pass the ball 60 yards or 2 yards, he can score, cross and assist regularly. Left side of midfield, right side of midfield it doesn't matter Brunt is good on both sides, and contrary to what others here say I think Brunt can do a job in the middle if he has the right support from the players around him. Personally I don't have a big problem with Brunty drifting in to get the ball since most of the time (when he is match fit) he actually does something with it when he has it. Brunt is like Tchoyi in that he is always looking to create something and make things happen.

Mozza has improved lately but I still don't see him as better than Brunt. Scharner is a donkey but he has his use, Thorne is just a kid and Cox is not a midfield player. Andrews is hot atm but we don't really know him yet. Mulumbu is great but he keeps giving the ball away in very dangerous areas so he isn't perfect either.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
You say accomodate Brunt but we've hit on a system starting with Wolves away where we've just been magical, culminating in beating Chelski 1-0.

Why are we fiddling about with a tried-and-trusted method?

I sincerley hope RH goes back to our best team next week - otherwise we'll go backwards at an alarming rate.

Why bend over backwards for Brunt? - he would be towards the bottom of a hypothetical league of our 2011/12 best players.

Brunt more than played his part in the victory over Chelsea when he replaced Jerome Thomas. Hit a whirling shot which was unlucky not to open the score line and it was also off his set piece delivery which saw us take the lead. Chris Brunt is an important player to the squad in my opinion, the man oozes quality on the ball when some of our other players are weak in this area.