Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 267229 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #825 on: June 05, 2019, 10:26:21 PM »
The BBC 5 Live podcast Costello and Bunce is worth a listen. So many theories and factors being discussed around this fight, including the amount of stuff going on around Joshua in New York. He's very marketable and generally very popular but he was doing a lot of promotional, appearance stuff on top of some pretty testing sparring/training and a lot of media stuff as well and spending a lot of time stuck in New York traffic.
Didn't Lennox Lewis used to take himself off to the Catskill mountains away from it all to prepare ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #826 on: June 16, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
Can’t wait to see Fury get in the ring with AJ. Regardless of opponent, the head movement by Fury was something special.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #827 on: June 16, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
Can’t wait to see Fury get in the ring with AJ. Regardless of opponent, the head movement by Fury was something special.
I'd sooner see another Fury v Wilder , can't deny Fury puts on a show one way or the other !
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #828 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:23 PM »
Grandson Tom Stokes from West Brom fights for the Midlands middleweight title on 21st july.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/other-sport/tom-stokes-midlands-middleweight-title-16424693

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #829 on: August 30, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
Great fight set for tomorrow night, Lomachenko vs Campbell with a great undercard. Can't see past a Loma win though, future Hall of Famer for sure. Undercard is also interesting, Hughie Fury vs Povetkin is a good match up allow us to see what Hughie is made of against an experienced and tough fighter. I do think he gets more media attention than he warrants though due to his last name but he is a little younger than his cousin so can still work his way up the rankings

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #830 on: August 30, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
Great fight set for tomorrow night, Lomachenko vs Campbell with a great undercard. Can't see past a Loma win though, future Hall of Famer for sure. Undercard is also interesting, Hughie Fury vs Povetkin is a good match up allow us to see what Hughie is made of against an experienced and tough fighter. I do think he gets more media attention than he warrants though due to his last name but he is a little younger than his cousin so can still work his way up the rankings

The Fury / Povetkin fight is a pick'em for me. Fury is younger, bigger and should win really if he has any chance of succeeding at world level but Povetkin is still decent and I'm not so certain Fury will prevail.

If Campbell beats Lomachenko it's up there with the greatest shocks of all time (far more so than Joshua v Ruiz). Loma is P4P probably number one in the world right now and is pretty damn special. Campbell is decent in his own right but Loma, surely, is just too much for him.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #831 on: August 30, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »
Can't disagree with any of this, its a must win for Fury really if he wants to go past being a British/European challenger. Buatsi also on the undercard again but should be a straight forward enough win for him, showed what he was made of with a great performance against Gorman previously
Povetkin is quality, I don't see Fury winning against him (despite Povetkins age (40?))
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #832 on: August 30, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »
Povetkin will KO Fury.

Really hope Campbell shows more than Crolla against Loma. Crolla just stood there in front of him and Loma just boxed his head off. Campbell's gotta get up close, use his size advantage and go for the body. His only chance. Hope he does it but I can only see a points win for Loma.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #833 on: August 30, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
My picks for the fights:
Lomachenko TKO over Campbell in the later rounds
Povetkin UD over Fury
Edwards vs Aguilar is a pick'em fight but I'll go with Edwards on a close decision
There should also be comfortable wins for Cordina and Buatsi

Should be a good night of boxing.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #834 on: August 31, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
Loma given a good run out by Campbell, brave from the brit, but the better fighter won

Fury outclassed, needs to retire
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #835 on: October 08, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »
Chisora v David Price has been announced for the undercard of the Josh Taylor fight after previous opponent Sprong has failed a drugs test with VADA. I really feel that Price should hang his gloves up, could be another worrying knockout. Chisora hits as hard if not harder than Povetkin so it could get ugly for him

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #836 on: October 25, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
Exciting card for tomorrow night, the most popular fight in the UK is probably Chisora v Price but for me Taylor vs Prograis looks a belter. A unification fight between 2 of the worlds best in the super-light weight division, I'll edge it Prograis but wouldn't surprise me at all if Josh Taylor wins even by KO. He is far the biggest challenge that Prograis will have faced so far and I think Taylor has that crazy-jock belief in himself that will give Prograis plenty to think about. We also have Connor Benn who is always a great watch against Steve Jamoye, expecting a comfortable win for Benn. Lawrence Okolie also looking to get back on the up after a strange fight against Gudino and is fighting undefeated Ngabu, really needs to turn it on otherwise it might prove a difficult night for him. Also, I never usually took much notice of female fighters until Katie Taylor came to fame to be honest but Shannon Courtenay is a really good fighter and I expect she will win comfortably. Finally, there is a good domestic battle in Selby vs Burns where both have had tough fights in recent years so it will be interesting to see how it goes down

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #837 on: October 25, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
Price has no chance against Chisora.  Hope he gets a good payday and retires though. Be over in 3 rounds I reckon.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #838 on: October 25, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
Price has no chance against Chisora.  Hope he gets a good payday and retires though. Be over in 3 rounds I reckon.

Agreed, I think Chisora is all wrong for price really. Not too dissimilar to Povetkin, a big bruiser that can bang. Price is a good fighter, his chin just lets him down so if Chisora turns it on like he did against Szpilka then inside 3 rounds is a good bet

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #839 on: October 25, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
Both washed in my opinion.  Del Boy less so than big Pricey though.
"This crack is really moreish."

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #840 on: October 25, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
Since when did Chisora and David price become Ppv box office attractions ? Can’t believe sky are charging £20 for it . I know Parker got injured but even Parker chisora isn’t a box office event

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #841 on: October 25, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
Since when did Chisora and David price become Ppv box office attractions ? Can’t believe sky are charging £20 for it . I know Parker got injured but even Parker chisora isn’t a box office event

PPV is because Taylor vs Prograis is a unification fight between 2 world champions at Super-Light Weight. With the rest of the card its not a surprise its PPV, I've seen smaller fights attract a PPV audience

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #842 on: October 25, 2019, 08:32:38 PM »
Prograis vs Taylor is a high quality fight between two world class fighters in their prime. I really like Taylor, who is a a decent operator. However, Prograis is a deadly puncher and brilliant technician - I can't help thinking he stops Taylor in the mid to late rounds.

As for Price vs Chisora: can not see past a Chisora KO as Price has the punch resistance of a Dandelion.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #843 on: October 28, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »
Exciting card for tomorrow night, the most popular fight in the UK is probably Chisora v Price but for me Taylor vs Prograis looks a belter. A unification fight between 2 of the worlds best in the super-light weight division, I'll edge it Prograis but wouldn't surprise me at all if Josh Taylor wins even by KO. He is far the biggest challenge that Prograis will have faced so far and I think Taylor has that crazy-jock belief in himself that will give Prograis plenty to think about. We also have Connor Benn who is always a great watch against Steve Jamoye, expecting a comfortable win for Benn. Lawrence Okolie also looking to get back on the up after a strange fight against Gudino and is fighting undefeated Ngabu, really needs to turn it on otherwise it might prove a difficult night for him. Also, I never usually took much notice of female fighters until Katie Taylor came to fame to be honest but Shannon Courtenay is a really good fighter and I expect she will win comfortably. Finally, there is a good domestic battle in Selby vs Burns where both have had tough fights in recent years so it will be interesting to see how it goes down

What a fight between Taylor and Prograis, I had it a draw but in the end Taylor won by majority decision. I think the home crowd may have helped the judges a little bit. Even so, a fight of the year contender between 2 world class fighters. Comfortable win for Chisora, glad they threw the towel in for Pricey as much as I love a good knockout I would of felt sick if he had another big punch and was put out cold. Connor Benn had a great stoppage, he really needs to think about moving up in terms of the quality of opponents. Okolie won by another stoppage but I just cant get interested in him, his style is too awkward for me. Missed Shannon Courtenays fight but by the sounds of it she won by a close decision which is common in 4 round fights. Also a good win by Selby who just looked a little fresher than Burns as he is that little bit younger, but I do like Burns and he should think about retiring soon I think

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #844 on: November 22, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
Good weekend for boxing if anyone is interested, Golden Contract starts tonight on Sky, tomorrow we have Callum Smith vs John Ryder and Wilder vs Ortiz II.

Expecting a relatively comfortable win for Smith round 5-7 I think and similar for Wilder but would love Ortiz to beat him just because I'm not a huge fan of Wilder

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #845 on: November 24, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Well after being outboxed for most of the fight Wilder got the job done with a one punch Ko. Did'nt see the Smith v Ryder fight but a lot of people saying Ryder should have won the fight.

And on the Wilder undercard his brother Marsellos was stopped in the fourth round of his fight against Dustin Long.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #846 on: November 25, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »
Well after being outboxed for most of the fight Wilder got the job done with a one punch Ko. Did'nt see the Smith v Ryder fight but a lot of people saying Ryder should have won the fight.

And on the Wilder undercard his brother Marsellos was stopped in the fourth round of his fight against Dustin Long.

I had Wilder losing every round until the big finish. Hes a bit of an enigma as in certainly not the best boxer in the world and has horrendous technique but he holds devastating power in that right hand. He spends the whole fight waiting and trying to set it up, so throws very few punches and therefore loses more rounds than he wins. But if you have that power then you will send anyone to the canvass including Fury, AJ and anyone else if he lands it. Fury will beat him as long as he doesnt allow Wilder to land that one punch but thats verry difficult to do over 12 rounds. I also think AJ could beat him but its more down to weather he can engineer a moment to put Wilder down before he can land his right and I dont think AJ is good enough defensively to do that

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #847 on: December 07, 2019, 09:02:52 PM »
Come on AJ.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #848 on: December 07, 2019, 10:18:51 PM »
Tremendous display of skill and restraint. If only he'd done that in MSG.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #849 on: December 07, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »
Game plan executed to perfection. Masterclass.