Author Topic: Brandon Thomas-Asante  (Read 93444 times)

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

Re: Brandon Thomas-Asante
« Reply #925 on: April 14, 2024, 10:21:27 PM »
He was bought as a £300k squad player to fill in from the bench, its not his fault that he has been forced to play most games this season in a position that is not his natural one. To judge him as a starting champ striker is just crazy. We paid £300k for a squad player winger who has got that many goals.

If you think he has been a bad signing or not worth the money I really do give up.
Gera, Gera, Gera

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #926 on: April 14, 2024, 10:41:07 PM »
The point was that not any striker would have contributed 11 goals this season.
Submariners go deeper

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #927 on: April 14, 2024, 10:50:24 PM »
He was bought as a £300k squad player to fill in from the bench, its not his fault that he has been forced to play most games this season in a position that is not his natural one. To judge him as a starting champ striker is just crazy. We paid £300k for a squad player winger who has got that many goals.

If you think he has been a bad signing or not worth the money I really do give up.

How do any of us claim to know what he was signed as? Were you present in the recruitment meetings and privy to conversations the rest of us aren’t?

I’ve never said he was a bad signing, merely that he’s not very good and the team is better without him in it, which I continue to stand by, he’s a hindrance every time he starts.

Either way, we’re going round in circles somewhat.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #928 on: April 14, 2024, 11:17:47 PM »
How do any of us claim to know what he was signed as? Were you present in the recruitment meetings and privy to conversations the rest of us aren’t?

I’ve never said he was a bad signing, merely that he’s not very good and the team is better without him in it, which I continue to stand by, he’s a hindrance every time he starts.

Either way, we’re going round in circles somewhat.

I would play BTA as a striker with the rest of the strikers injured, who would you have played that we have that would have got as many goals as him. Its okay to say he aint good enough but I dont see anyone we have who would have had as good or better record as BTA.
Gera, Gera, Gera

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #929 on: April 14, 2024, 11:37:46 PM »
I would play BTA as a striker with the rest of the strikers injured, who would you have played that we have that would have got as many goals as him. Its okay to say he aint good enough but I dont see anyone we have who would have had as good or better record as BTA.

We don't need to play with a striker. It's worked fine this season when we've played without one, mainly because our attacks aren't breaking down every time it bounces off BTA.

I like the guy, he works hard and he's been a great value signing. But he's not a good footballer at this level and he weakens the team when he starts.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #930 on: April 15, 2024, 02:21:00 AM »
I've said it on many occasions now, that he a scorer of great goals, but not a great goalscorer.

He's a very likeable guy.

He grafts and grafts but he isn't clinical enough. Just like he made an impact off the bench in his first appearance for us, I think that is where he would be now if DD wasn't always injured.

We haven't seen enough of Maja to see if he is any better than BTA, but hopefully he is and BTA can be impact player off the bench.

Our options are limited and AW obviously isn't showing much in training if he still does not come on when we are trying to get an equaliser.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: April 15, 2024, 11:22:19 AM »
I've said it on many occasions now, that he a scorer of great goals, but not a great goalscorer.

He's a very likeable guy.

He grafts and grafts but he isn't clinical enough. Just like he made an impact off the bench in his first appearance for us, I think that is where he would be now if DD wasn't always injured.

We haven't seen enough of Maja to see if he is any better than BTA, but hopefully he is and BTA can be impact player off the bench.

Our options are limited and AW obviously isn't showing much in training if he still does not come on when we are trying to get an equaliser.

AW ???
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #932 on: April 15, 2024, 11:30:20 AM »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #933 on: April 15, 2024, 11:39:52 AM »
Andi Weimann.

sorry, I was attempting (and failing) Irony !

Another over the hill failure not quite in the Ricky lambert / Mark Albrighton class I admit, but if he is the answer, words fail me (they did)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #934 on: April 15, 2024, 11:44:51 AM »
Comments that anyone would have scored 11 goals if they had played in the striker role are in my opinion wide of the the mark . I give you Karlan Grant who has I believe 5 goals this season on loan at Cardiff and in 2 of his 3 full seasons with us has failed to hit double figures . He was bought as our top striker and has failed dismally. The complete opposite of BTA who despite Saturdays dismissal has contributed greatly .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #935 on: April 15, 2024, 11:46:02 AM »
I very much doubt Andi Weimann is scoring 11 league goals for us in a season if played as much as BTA

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #936 on: April 15, 2024, 12:26:43 PM »
I very much doubt Andi Weimann is scoring 11 league goals for us in a season if played as much as BTA
His record is proof of this, he's only once got more than 10 goals in a season during his career.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #937 on: April 15, 2024, 12:42:54 PM »
His record is proof of this, he's only once got more than 10 goals in a season during his career.

Really? I thought he had some fairly regular 15-20 goal seasons in the champo. That's surprising. In that case i'm changing to Weimann definitely isn't scoring double figures if he starts most games :D

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #938 on: April 15, 2024, 12:48:31 PM »
Ultimately we’ll never know, all we can go by is the stats from this season as he has played a whole lot of games in the goal scoring position to be only 3 goals more than Swift, five more than Grady and MJ etc.

The eyes don’t lie, his ability, or lack thereof is clear for anyone with footballing knowledge to see, the ball bounces off him frequently, misplaces pass after pass, misses easy chances for fun.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #939 on: April 15, 2024, 12:51:24 PM »
Ultimately we’ll never know, all we can go by is the stats from this season as he has played a whole lot of games in the goal scoring position to be only 3 goals more than Swift, five more than Grady and MJ etc.

The eyes don’t lie, his ability, or lack thereof is clear for anyone with footballing knowledge to see, the ball bounces off him frequently, misplaces pass after pass, misses easy chances for fun.

That's why he's 3rd choice though ultimately. He is attitude/application over ability.

CC saw him as a better up front option than Wallace etc so that's what we had/have to run with until someone else is fully fit.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #940 on: April 15, 2024, 01:11:25 PM »
Really? I thought he had some fairly regular 15-20 goal seasons in the champo. That's surprising. In that case i'm changing to Weimann definitely isn't scoring double figures if he starts most games :D

Weimann's stand out goal returns season was 21/22. 22 goals and 10 assists from RW and AM. Other than that nothing spectacular. BTA only has two seasons where he's reached double figures in the league too and this is one of them.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #941 on: April 15, 2024, 01:17:01 PM »
BTA is a one-man front  line of defence.  He presses for two men.
He gets the odd goal too.  Maybe if he wasn't considered the only striker the pressure would be off him.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #942 on: April 15, 2024, 01:22:14 PM »
BTA is a one-man front  line of defence.  He presses for two men.
He gets the odd goal too.  Maybe if he wasn't considered the only striker the pressure would be off him.

Also true. His effort at the front makes it harder to walk through us

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #943 on: April 15, 2024, 01:23:15 PM »
Weimann's stand out goal returns season was 21/22. 22 goals and 10 assists from RW and AM. Other than that nothing spectacular. BTA only has two seasons where he's reached double figures in the league too and this is one of them.

Thanks Dan. BTA has averaged double figures in his 2 seasons with us I think.

Weimann not as prolific as I recall clearly

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #944 on: April 15, 2024, 04:57:49 PM »
Thanks Dan. BTA has averaged double figures in his 2 seasons with us I think.

Weimann not as prolific as I recall clearly

Seven in the league last season and two in the FA Cup. His only other double figure season came at Salford in League Two 2021-2022 with 11 in 39 plus two in the EFL Trophy.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #945 on: April 15, 2024, 05:01:14 PM »
Seven in the league last season and two in the FA Cup. His only other double figure season came at Salford in League Two 2021-2022 with 11 in 39 plus two in the EFL Trophy.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought BTA got 9 league goals last season, my bad

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #946 on: April 15, 2024, 05:04:14 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought BTA got 9 league goals last season, my bad

Is 9 the new ten  :P ?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #947 on: April 15, 2024, 05:06:33 PM »
Is 9 the new ten  :P ?

I was thinking he had 9 league goals last season and 11 this

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #948 on: April 16, 2024, 06:03:46 AM »
Two stats that highlight Brandon's season - he's basically on course to have his goals equal his xG, which means he is about as good as the chances he gets. Like BalisPen has said, he has a tendency to score some very good goals but miss easier chances, but this balances out over season.

Per 90 minutes he has the fewest touches for any player on the team. Second lowest is Andi Weimann, and third is Tom Fellows. Yet BTA is fifth for miscontrols per 90 and 4th for being dispossessed (with bit-part players ahead of him e.g. TGH and Caleb Taylor).

This doesn't look at his role in our press, which is very important, but it does support what some people have said - his control/touch isn't great, and in terms of finishing, he's about average, though he does miss "easier" chances and make up for it by scoring harder ones.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #949 on: April 17, 2024, 12:33:26 PM »
Agreed. He is a player of limited ability. But for sheer guts, work rate, energy, oh and the strength of an ox, he should not be criticised. And no way would Faal or Malcolm have scored as many goals. If anyone doubts that, watch them a few times.

faal has scored more goals in league 2 than assante did in his season there ,so I would say there’s a good chance