Author Topic: Anyone Else Concerned?  (Read 12148 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Anyone Else Concerned?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:42 AM »
Something to ponder on. Does it have anything to do with second-half substitutions with a change of personnel, formation, tactics?

Until the villa game I don't think Clarke got a change wrong.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

albion61

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
i am more concerned with lukaku missing easy chances in both the last two games ,both games we should have had them wrapped up by the last minute any case ,you have to wonder why Chelsea with only a couple of decent strikers let him come out on load ,i agree he can be immense ,but i dont think hes a out and out goalscorer,hes young so hope he proves me wrong and he starts taking the pressure goal chances 

Baggies54

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
i am more concerned with lukaku missing easy chances in both the last two games ,both games we should have had them wrapped up by the last minute any case ,you have to wonder why Chelsea with only a couple of decent strikers let him come out on load ,i agree he can be immense ,but i dont think hes a out and out goalscorer,hes young so hope he proves me wrong and he starts taking the pressure goal chances

Goes beyond being frustrating with yesterdays misses, I'm now wondering why should we have to put up with it, we are only training him after all.  What's wrong with training our own players such as Berahino he is very quick and finished well with a one on one versus Derby....seems like we are missing out on two counts of having an academy for our own kids and our first team being a high class academy for bigger clubs (Chelsea) at the moment.
"Scientific criticism has no nobler task than to shatter false beliefs".......

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »
Goes beyond being frustrating with yesterdays misses, I'm now wondering why should we have to put up with it, we are only training him after all.  What's wrong with training our own players such as Berahino he is very quick and finished well with a one on one versus Derby....seems like we are missing out on two counts of having an academy for our own kids and our first team being a high class academy for bigger clubs (Chelsea) at the moment.

I don't get this argument at all tbh. Lukaku is a rare talent, good enough to play in the PL already, but not nearly well rounded and mature enough to be a leading forward for a club going for major trophies domestically and internationally. Saido is not good enough to start for us so he is at the best possible place for him currently, developing his game at a level that is challenging him to improve his game without overwhelming him with demands he is not ready to meet.

Lukaku is frustrating at times yes, but so is Shane Long. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

Lukaku has played less than Shane but has had far more clear goal scoring chances because of his better skills and better reading of the game. Long works harder but cannot go past players based on skill, he just relies on his pace.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »
When you throw in Bosingwa missing a sitter with the last kick of the game which would have made it 2 QPR goals in the last 90 seconds, I agree it is becoming a concern.

Whilst a deflection is bad luck, we shouldn't be conceding when we have set pieces at the opposite end of the pitch deep into stoppage time.

Something is indeed wrong, we take our foot off the gas before the final whistle and it has cost us. Tbh I think it is an element of cockiness over concentration and I hope the players and manager sort this out. We have been far too open late in several games now.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
Its the inability to close out a game whether winning (Villa/Man City) or drawing (Man City/Newcastle) thats a concern.
Clarke has to take the blame for those results.  Take yesterday for example.   We finished the game with Long, Odemwingie and Rosenberg.  Commendable in going for the win but extremely naive.

The last 4 games including the QPR game has shown up Clarkes inexperience.  I've got faith in him though.  This season was always going to be a steep learning curve for him so I'm surprised hes done as well as he has so far.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
The last bloke who said that is now managing Middlesborough in the Championship

This is the thing that makes me worried. We have certainly been naive as a team in the past, and we don't want to see sloppy defeats start to happen when we start to chase the win, when we could be happy with a point.

And you're never too good to go down, no matter how good your players are. Olsson, Morrison, Brunt, and others have all been relegated with us before, while others such as Foster and Ridgewell have gone down with other clubs (notably Blues).

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »
We are in no real danger of going down, unless something exceptional occurs.

However, it is annoying that small needless lapses are costing us points. That has to be addressed.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »
On the subject of substitutions, I'm not sure about taking of Long and Lukaku just after they'd scored the last 2 games. Surely sticking one in gives you wings for the last 20 mins???

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
Just thought I would bring this topic up again

what are peoples opinions now?

I am still concerned
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

54hines

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »
First time poster here. Not overly concerned at present but think this conceding late goals puts extra pressure on us especially if we are leading by the odd goal or two. The players will sense the crowds nervousness and that can lead to individual players making stupid mistakes particularly this Saturdays match with the villa. Just hope we are leading by so many goals if we concede an odd couple at end of match it will be irrelevant.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
More concerned with the fact that weve only won two of our last 10 games, that's relegation form.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »
More concerned with the fact that weve only won two of our last 10 games, that's relegation form.
And I'll say again, if our form over the season was more mixed, you wouldn't care.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
And I'll say again, if our form over the season was more mixed, you wouldn't care.
Defeats and goals conceded are always a concern not matter if the results are in a run or mixed up.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
I'm sure Blackpool and Hull weren't concerned either when they had the points on the board, now look at them, I feel what helps us is they had they're best players available and still got relegated, When our best 11 is playing and the form continues then i'll be concerned.

But we cant live on earlier success, The form and Late goals conceded and not to mention the injuries really are beginning to undo all that great success at the start.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 12:50:17 PM »
Defeats and goals conceded are always a concern not matter if the results are in a run or mixed up.
Not particularly, it's only relegation form because it's all at the same time if We were say 10th/11th and stayed there from start to finish then no body would care other than those who wish we could win more, but because we've had a good start and climbed high, when bad results come along and we start falling, suddenly we are in trouble of getting relegated even though the teams below us have to pick up a huge number of points in order to do that as no matter how bad you are, you'll beat somebody at some point.

I'm not concerned because in order for us to really be relegated, ALOT has to fall against us over the span of about 5 months. we'll be absolutely fine.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
Not particularly, it's only relegation form because it's all at the same time if We were say 10th/11th and stayed there from start to finish then no body would care other than those who wish we could win more, but because we've had a good start and climbed high, when bad results come along and we start falling, suddenly we are in trouble of getting relegated even though the teams below us have to pick up a huge number of points in order to do that as no matter how bad you are, you'll beat somebody at some point.

I'm not concerned because in order for us to really be relegated, ALOT has to fall against us over the span of about 5 months. we'll be absolutely fine.
I don't recall mentioning relegation myself ? , regardless of where we are in the league after the start we had it's always going to be a concern .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
Not concerned just disappointed not to be competing for a champions league position :)
We should manage another 10 points to confirm our safety
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

wdbroun

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 05:31:18 PM »
I was, but I am no longer concerned.

If anything, I would feel a little more nervous about some kind of weird compensatory over-reaction at this point.

I am looking at the Reading game now as a kind of watershed moment in Albion history when it comes to this issue and to defense in general. I think SC and company get it now.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:29 PM »
Not concerned at all.

According to the Premier League Food and Hygiene results from all clubs, West Brom Food and Hygiene are excellent (loads of clubs had fault including rodents at Man United!)

Lets be honest, thats the real achievement this season, forget football, last minute goals, QPR wanting to buy the whole club, etc, excellent food and hygiene is  the thing we all wanted really!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
I would be more concerned if we'd got 10-15 points less, but we're still in good shape and generally we've played well this season.

I think we all knew a dodgy run was coming, we knew there was no way we'd keep winning all our matches. Now it's here, we just have to accept it and keep fighting.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 06:42:12 PM »
I have a few concerns regaridng the late goals we are giving away this season. Overall not to worried, Im sure we will come back strong and go on a decent run again hopefully starting on Tuesday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »
It seems to be one of those weird psychological problems that afflict football teams some seasons. I have no idea how we are switching off so easily in the final 10 minutes of games. Teams have scored double figures against us in the final 10 minutes already this season and it is in danger of derailing our season.

We could have been 6th place today had it not been for our complete collapse and maybe still in the running for the top 4  had we been stronger this season in the last 10 minutes.

I suppose our injury problems don't help as the players are now starting to get stretched and tired but whatever the reason, we ned to switch on in the final 10 minutes of games.
Boing Boing

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
Not concerned at all.

According to the Premier League Food and Hygiene results from all clubs, West Brom Food and Hygiene are excellent (loads of clubs had fault including rodents at Man United!)

Lets be honest, thats the real achievement this season, forget football, last minute goals, QPR wanting to buy the whole club, etc, excellent food and hygiene is  the thing we all wanted really!
No surprise there. Prawns eat sh*t, so on a sandwich is the last place they should be. There´s a reason why our pies are called Pukka. :P
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
Lets face it we were never in the running for top 4... Ever.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.