Author Topic: Kyle Edwards  (Read 44102 times)

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

Re: Kyle Edwards
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 08:46:31 PM »
i thought he didn't look that great on Saturday, maybe that could have been how the team were playing.

there is definitely a player in there for us in the future unlike Leko but i think he needs to be used sporadically this season to help his development.

the new loan players i can envisage taking his spot in the team.
I had him down as the best player on the pitch in the first half,some incredible ball skills

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
I hope we've started contract discussions, seeing as he has less than a year left
Unspoilt By Progress

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »
Has had a good start to the season. Although wasn't as good today.

My worry is with Phillips periera diangana and willock that eventually he might not keep getting game time. We do have a lot of options on the flanks. If he is going to drop down the ranks we should take advantage of loan market again and get him out. Window closes in a few weeks.
O Albion we love you

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2019, 09:00:29 PM »
Has had a good start to the season. Although wasn't as good today.

My worry is with Phillips periera diangana and willock that eventually he might not keep getting game time. We do have a lot of options on the flanks. If he is going to drop down the ranks we should take advantage of loan market again and get him out. Window closes in a few weeks.

He either has to step up his game or spend time on the substitutes bench.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2019, 09:13:06 PM »
Kyle just needs to work on his end product once he has committed his man. He has great ability to dribble and carry the ball at pace.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2019, 12:44:51 AM »
Think he's had an excellent start to the season. I had him down as man of the Match of the Match v Forest. He has an excellent burst of pace combined with power on the ball. Just needs to improve his crossing.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2019, 06:36:07 AM »
I thought he was the better out of the two wingers first half. Phillips was poor all game, not looking to run at defenders at all, whereas Edwards was trying to get past defenders and put balls across. Thought he was unlucky to go off rather than Phillips. Certainly turned out to be the right sub though.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2019, 10:17:49 AM »
He appears to be one of those players who has to do everything at speed. I think at the crucial times he could do with just slowing down a touch and really giving himself some time with his crosses. Excellent and getting to that point but always looks rushed in his delivery.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2020, 10:24:39 PM »
Did good today and needs tying down he might not make the Jump to top level straight away but if we go up another season on loan at a championship club good see his development further
O Albion we love you

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
He appears to be one of those players who has to do everything at speed. I think at the crucial times he could do with just slowing down a touch and really giving himself some time with his crosses. Excellent and getting to that point but always looks rushed in his delivery.
But doing things at speed is exactly what we needed against Stoke, for example, I don't understand why he didn't come on then, he might be a bit headless but at least he tries to get past his man and will put the defence on the back foot, he has that yard of pace.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2020, 11:02:05 PM »
But doing things at speed is exactly what we needed against Stoke, for example, I don't understand why he didn't come on then, he might be a bit headless but at least he tries to get past his man and will put the defence on the back foot, he has that yard of pace.
Yes, watching Barnes for Leicester the last couple of weeks that's what he's doing. Even if it doesn't come off all the time, I think we need one player who is quick and direct.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2020, 11:09:33 PM »
Yes, watching Barnes for Leicester the last couple of weeks that's what he's doing. Even if it doesn't come off all the time, I think we need one player who is quick and direct.

Sorry. Much as I love one of our own but Edwards is at the very least two levels below Barnes.

baggiesboots

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 02:08:40 AM »
Sorry. Much as I love one of our own but Edwards is at the very least two levels below Barnes.
So are you saying he's as close to Barnes as we have right now?  Barnes was never, or ever going to be our player and if we didn't give him that experience to develope in this league he wouldn't be as good now. How amazing if we actually gave some regular first team time to one of our own young players and they turned out to be good.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:12:21 AM by baggiesboots »

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »
Yes but it's the general point of pace and directness and using the resources we currently have at our disposal.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »
Yes but it's the general point of pace and directness and using the resources we currently have at our disposal.
Edwards can be every bit as good....like all players, they need to play, have the backing of the manager and crucially for wingers not worry about the times when it “doesn’t come off”
Edwards won us Preston away...not just the pen, every time he got the ball he went at them...he’s better than people think, reminds me of a dog on a leash, we need to free him off
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2020, 10:41:04 AM »
Edwards can be every bit as good....like all players, they need to play, have the backing of the manager and crucially for wingers not worry about the times when it “doesn’t come off”
Edwards won us Preston away...not just the pen, every time he got the ball he went at them...he’s better than people think, reminds me of a dog on a leash, we need to free him off

Edwards doesn't have the technique that Barnes has. You cant coach that into someone. That's not to say Edwards cant be a good player, he can but Barnes is just better quality. 

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »
I'd be annoyed if I was Edwards, really he should be starting most games whilst Diangana has been out but he hasn't. I agree that he is inconsistent but he can do it at this level and he wont find that consistency unless he gets game time.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »
Edwards doesn't have the technique that Barnes has. You cant coach that into someone. That's not to say Edwards cant be a good player, he can but Barnes is just better quality.

Agreed. Barnes is now starting to have more and more impact at a club flying high on the premiership and that’s a level Edwards will never reach.  Should we get promoted, Edwards can’t be a player we are relying too heavily on.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2020, 12:16:05 PM »

Of course you can coach technique. What a daft thing to say. If it was pace then fair enough, but technique can be improved through coaching and practice.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2020, 12:24:56 PM »
I think Kyle Edwards and Harvey Barnes are very different players and comparing them, for me, is a bit silly. Edwards is more of a Sterling (i'm not comparing them on quality!!) style winger, gets to the back line, runs at people with tricks and step overs, pushes the defence back, holds on to the ball, often for too long which used to be one of Sterling's problems, cuts back onto his right. Barnes is far more direct, two-footed and his a wicked shot on him from range.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »
He was excellent yesterday, one of the biggest positives from yesterday for me, and there were quite a few of those! He should be starting against Cardiff now really.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
Athletic article from today regarding Edwards

Kyle Edwards is on course to become the next academy product to commit his future to West Bromwich Albion as he aims to live up to the “Messi” tag he was given at the age of 10.

The winger, fresh from an impressive display in the FA Cup win away to Premier League West Ham United on Saturday, is increasingly likely to follow 20-year-old Dara O’Shea in extending his time at The Hawthorns.

The Athletic understands talks between Edwards and the club have progressed well in recent weeks and have now reached an advanced stage.

The 21-year-old Dudley-born player is likely to agree a hefty increase in wages from around £1,000 per week — a figure agreed two years ago when he was newly-graduated from the academy — to more than £10,000 per week as a regular member of the first-team squad.

Irish defender O’Shea celebrated his new three-and-a-half-year deal with another eye-catching performance at right-back as Slaven Bilic’s Championship leaders beat his previous English club 1-0 to reach the last 16 and Edwards, his former Albion under-23s team-mate, is hopeful of agreeing terms in the coming weeks.

The pair, both promoted to regular first-team squad status by new head coach Bilic this season, attended the same footballing “finishing school” with season-long loans at Exeter City — Edwards in 2017-18 and O’Shea a year later.

But while the Irishman had to wait until he was 16 to make the move from Dublin to West Bromwich, Edwards has already spent 14 years at The Hawthorns.

He was spotted by academy scouts at the age of seven while playing for Kewford Eagles — a major youth football club based in Wall Heath, on the edge of the West Midlands near the borders with Staffordshire and Worcestershire. He attracted interest from Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa and Birmingham City but, with his entire family Albion fans, he signed for them and has remained ever since.

When contract talks stalled earlier this season, it appeared Edwards might be forced to consider moving on but discussions are now back on track and likely to reach a positive conclusion. A deal would give him a further chance to deliver on the promise that was identified when he first caught the eye of coaches in his early days in West Brom’s academy.

“I remember Kyle when he was proper, proper small — he was an unbelievable player even then,” says Albion midfielder Romaine Sawyers, who was seven years ahead of Edwards as academy kids. “He’s grown a lot. I never expected him to get to this height!

“When he was about 10, he would just go and take the ball off the goalkeeper, beat everybody and score.

“Mark Harrison, our old academy manager, told my age group, ‘We’ve got this kid who is 10 years old and this is Messi.’

“No word of a lie; I could see the comparison back then. If Kyle’s got videos, I’d urge him to show anybody. He was unbelievable and to see him now in the first team warms my heart.”

Having made three Championship starts last season and three more as a substitute, Edwards caught Bilic’s eye in pre-season. Selected to start the opening game away to Nottingham Forest, he scored Albion’s first goal of the season. He has since started seven more matches and appeared 14 times from the substitutes’ bench.

Edwards has shared duties in wide positions with Matt Phillips, Grady Diangana and Matheus Pereira and, despite the other wingers-cum-forwards attracting more headlines, has fared better in some statistical disciplines.

His shots-on-target tally of 0.89 per 90 minutes is the best of the quartet, with the others all managing 0.75 or less.

Edwards also leads the way when it comes to successful dribbles, with a total of 3.56 per 90 minutes compared to Diangana’s 3.21, Pereira’s 1.82 and Phillips’ 0.97.

In expected goals, Edwards’ tally is the second-best of the quartet but his most eye-catching contributions have come from the bench.

Saturday brought an impressive display from the start ahead of two leagues games over the next week that suspended Pereira and the injured Diangana will both miss, meaning the young winger is likely to be called upon.

“Kyle is getting chances and has from the first game of the season,” says Bilic. “Kyle scored against Forest and started against Luton and Millwall [in August]. He is involved in nearly every game. He’s got quality and I love him. He only has to become more consistent.

“He should get a chance now but he’s getting chances anyway and a lot of the time, he makes a big, strong impact and changes the game, and that’s what we need from him.”

“I thought played really well [on Saturday],” said Conor Townsend, whose fine early goal at the London Stadium decided the tie. “Going forward, everyone knows what he can do but, in the last 10 minutes, his performance helping out defensively was really good as well.

“He has been in an out and shown glimpses of what he can do but we all know what a good player he is, and he’s trying to show that more consistently.

“He’s probably going to have a big role to play in the next couple of games with Matheus [Pereira] suspended, whether it be off the bench or starting, so this will be a confidence boost for him going forward.”

Another of Albion’s highly-rated academy graduates, Rayhaan Tulloch, made his fourth appearance for the club on Saturday but is currently less likely than Edwards to still be at The Hawthorns next season.

The 19-year-old, a product of the same youth team — Phoenix United — that produced Saido Berahino, Nathan Ferguson and Jerome Sinclair, is set to be out of contract in the summer but has yet to agree an extension.

The Athletic understands colleagues currently expect Tulloch to leave as a free agent.

Albion would receive a fee for him, probably one decided by a tribunal, if he joins another English club but could receive only a standard compensation amount if he moves to Scotland or mainland Europe.

(Photo: Arfa Griffiths/West Ham United FC via Getty Images)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the article. Good news. Didn't realise he and family were Albion fans.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
jimmyj, thank you for posting the article, interesting read
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the article. Good news. Didn't realise he and family were Albion fans.

His dad is often at the games - saw him in the away end a few times

They're a very nice family by all accounts.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom