Author Topic: Branislav Ivanovic signs for WBA  (Read 38514 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Branislav Ivanovic
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2020, 12:20:47 PM »
This is madness.  Why would we wasting a squad number on a player who hasn't played at EPL pace for years.  This goes back to the days of buying old timers with the experience to rip us off.  What happened to reducing the average age of the squad - we need to reduce the median age as well

As someone points out in his strap line, Einstein's definition of madness was trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
We aren't doing it over and over again though. All our other signings (apart from Button) have been young and raw. Ivanovic could be the exception to the rule that brings a bit of nous and experience.
71 games in the last 2 seasons suggests his fitness defies his years, so has to be worth a go on a free.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
Not if you don't need the money. If we get him at 15k then i'd be happy with that.

He won't accept that sort of money. He will be waiting for a bigger club to come in.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
We aren't doing it over and over again though. All our other signings (apart from Button) have been young and raw. Ivanovic could be the exception to the rule that brings a bit of nous and experience.
71 games in the last 2 seasons suggests his fitness defies his years, so has to be worth a go on a free.

Agreed, think this is all about bringing some know-how into what is a very inexperienced squad for this level.  He's also a winner and a bit bonkers by all accounts.  We've lost the experience of Brunt, Barry and Mozza recently and quite rightly as you can't hide in midfield if you do not have the legs,and that experience needed replacing.  We've seen GMac prove that you can play at the top level a bit longer in the CD role and you can only presume that he still has a level of fitness and desire for Billic to want him. 

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
Fitness, sports science etc all mean players ages these days have upped a bit. A bit like the general public I guess.

When you were above 30 as a football in 80/90s you were done or considered old or pretty much done. I can actually see players in the coming 10/20 years all going till 40 quite easily.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2020, 12:41:53 PM »
You can AT LEAST treble that.

The media suggests when he signed his deal at zenit it was £50k a week. £15k might be on the low side but I’d not expect to pay him as much as £45k either. Not another two years on.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »
The media suggests when he signed his deal at zenit it was £50k a week. £15k might be on the low side but I’d not expect to pay him as much as £45k either. Not another two years on.

Saw 90k pw at Zenit mate.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2020, 12:53:05 PM »

If he's seen as a potential first pick then i would expect him to come in as one of our top earners.  If not then it's anybody's guess what deal they might try and structure.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »
Saw 90k pw at Zenit mate.

Fair enough. I saw 3.2m euros in one story and £50k per week in another.  I’d still feel £45k was on the high side.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
Would bet my mortgage he's not on a base of 45k p/w

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2020, 01:14:47 PM »
He won't accept that sort of money. He will be waiting for a bigger club to come in.

Leave him then and let's put that money to a striker.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
Bilic believes he will sign in next few hours, skysports news

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »

Joseph Masi Twitter Account

Slaven Bilic has just held his pre-Leicester press conf and confirmed Branislav Ivanović is having a medical with the club today. #wba
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
As our back four sit very deep the lack of pace would be less of an issue, also his distribution is far better than we currently have, if he also brings on the younger players and is a big influence in the dressing room it's a no brainer.
Gera, Gera, Gera

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
Joseph Masi Twitter Account

He would be a great addition, he has done everything and I hope it will be done soon in a matter of hours!"

West Brom boss Salven Bilic confirming the signing of former Chelsea player Branislav Ivanovic!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
Too late for Sunday though, 12pm is the deadline?

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »
As our back four sit very deep the lack of pace would be less of an issue, also his distribution is far better than we currently have, if he also brings on the younger players and is a big influence in the dressing room it's a no brainer.

Couldn't agree more

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2020, 02:38:24 PM »
Couldn't agree more

I think he could help Ajayi and O'Shea with his experience.

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2020, 02:41:18 PM »
I think he could help Ajayi and O'Shea with his experience.

Exactly, footballers are human. Neither of those have played Prem. His whole game day routine, the week before, show them his habits and traits. There is so much we don't see except names of players on paper that I think get's overlooked.

darby009

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »
With sports science and generally the way that foreign players look after their body I honestly don’t care about his age.

As a player (very similar to Deeney) he is better than the other players we have in his position (I’m assuming he plays centre back).

For the right professionals we need to get past this age thing.... the following are either still playing past 34/35 or payed beyond that age and would have got in to our current squad when they reached that age....

Milner
Speed
Carragher
P Neville
Defoe
Lampard
GMac
G Barry
Giggs
Carvalho
Klose
Zanetti
Drogba
Totti

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2020, 02:44:49 PM »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:54:23 PM by gazberg »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2020, 03:01:25 PM »
Terms agreed as per Telegraph

"Mike McGrath
@mcgrathmike
·
46m
Terms of Branislav Ivanovic deal to #WBA have been agreed, on a free transfer after leaving Zenit. To be finalised to add Premier League experience for Slaven Bilic this season #CFC #WestBrom"

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
With sports science and generally the way that foreign players look after their body I honestly don’t care about his age.

As a player (very similar to Deeney) he is better than the other players we have in his position (I’m assuming he plays centre back).

For the right professionals we need to get past this age thing.... the following are either still playing past 34/35 or payed beyond that age and would have got in to our current squad when they reached that age....

Milner
Speed
Carragher
P Neville
Defoe
Lampard
GMac
G Barry
Giggs
Carvalho
Klose
Zanetti
Drogba
Totti

You have literally named 14 players from hundreds around the world and of those youve named.....

Milner -34
Carragherr - retired at 35
Neville - retired at 36
Lampard, Defoe, Drogba, Barry, all spent their final seasons in lower quality leagues.

On top of that a good number of the others finished at clubs they had a long history and relationship with. Very much part of the furniture and ambassadors with fan support and in some cases legendary status.

The reality does show that most footballers cannot maintain elite standards at past 34/35 and we are talking about bringing in a 36 year old.

Again, it might not be the worst move, but you cant just write out age as a factor.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
This is madness.  Why would we wasting a squad number on a player who hasn't played at EPL pace for years.  This goes back to the days of buying old timers with the experience to rip us off.  What happened to reducing the average age of the squad - we need to reduce the median age as well

As someone points out in his strap line, Einstein's definition of madness was trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

100% correct,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »
Maybe he's signed as our starting goal keeper! :P

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »
Random Twitter football saying deal is done, just to be announced.