Author Topic: Too many right wingers?  (Read 6130 times)

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

Too many right wingers?
« on: August 21, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
We already have Macca, Gnabry, Gardner and Morrison who can play there, why do we need another RW in Phillips when we could be spending it on an attacking midfielder or full backs? We need other positions strengthening before overloading with right wingers.
Gera, Gera, Gera

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Too many right wingers?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
We already have Macca, Gnabry, Gardner and Morrison who can play there, why do we need another RW in Phillips when we could be spending it on an attacking midfielder or full backs? We need other positions strengthening before overloading with right wingers.

Are we going in for phillips?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
Gardner and mozza are no good there.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »

Not sure I would class Gardner and Morrison as right wingers.. they play there because no one else does.

We need still need a LW / RW in my opinion. I see McManaman and McClean as squad players.

Rondon
Antonio Phillips Gnabry

Would like something like that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:17:35 PM by addy »

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
Not sure I would class Gardner and Morrison as right wingers.. they play there because no one else does.

We need still need a LW / RW in my opinion. I see McManaman and McClean as squad players.

Rondon
Antonio Phillips Gnabry

Would like something like that.

They play there because Pulis likes his 'square pegs'. I agree with your comment re Macca and McLean. I can't see either being anything more than impact players off the bench.

Phillips can play anywhere across the field and is a much better player that either Macca or McLean so would be a good addition.

I thought Gnabry was left sided?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
I thought Gnabry was left sided?

Can play either really like most wingers do. McManaman can too, but both have played majority on right.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
As has been said, Gardner and Morrison are central players. They have been played wide but I'd hope that isn't there positions long term.

If we were/are after Phillips, it's been said that he might be played more centrally behind a striker. I think if Brunt at left back permanently then we only have McClean as an out and out left winger
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

spyro

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »
macca should be starting

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »

I was under the impression that Phillips could play at the head of a 5 man midfield?

In any case, Gardener and Morrison are central midfielders. Both are more effective in the centre and don't ad much when played out wide.

Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »
I keep seeing people post line ups in a 4-2-3-1 which makes perfect sense to me but the bloke that picks the team hardly if ever lines up a team that way so I think we need to think about how he will put his teams out.

I have to declare from the outset that I am not Matt Phillips biggest fan and as such I don't think he is a vast improvement on anyone we have in the squad now. That said in any event I don't think we need another right winger. We have two already in Gnabry and McMannaman which is generally enough.

In addition there are some tactical things that should be considered. There will be more than a few games when Pulis goes narrow and blocks off both wings with Morrison and Gardner. There will be other occasions when he goes with one of McLaren McMannaman and Gnabry plus Gardner or Morrision on the opposite wing. I am guessing that he will not play two out and out attacking wingers in most of games.

Unless he gets the central midfield fixed and a proper number 10 in (doing that would be the only good reason to sell Saido) then his 4-4-2 won't work as an attacking entity at all or the wingers will be sacrificed to get bodies into the middle of the park.

Personally with this squad I would still go 4-2-3-1 but that ain't going to happen unless TP is hit by a bolt of lightening and we still wouldn't need another right winger
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
I keep seeing people post line ups in a 4-2-3-1 which makes perfect sense to me but the bloke that picks the team hardly if ever lines up a team that way so I think we need to think about how he will put his teams out.

I have to declare from the outset that I am not Matt Phillips biggest fan and as such I don't think he is a vast improvement on anyone we have in the squad now. That said in any event I don't think we need another right winger. We have two already in Gnabry and McMannaman which is generally enough.

In addition there are some tactical things that should be considered. There will be more than a few games when Pulis goes narrow and blocks off both wings with Morrison and Gardner. There will be other occasions when he goes with one of McLaren McMannaman and Gnabry plus Gardner or Morrision on the opposite wing. I am guessing that he will not play two out and out attacking wingers in most of games.

Unless he gets the central midfield fixed and a proper number 10 in (doing that would be the only good reason to sell Saido) then his 4-4-2 won't work as an attacking entity at all or the wingers will be sacrificed to get bodies into the middle of the park.

Personally with this squad I would still go 4-2-3-1 but that ain't going to happen unless TP is hit by a bolt of lightening and we still wouldn't need another right winger

He played 4-2-3-1 at Palace, don't see why he wouldn't with us when he gets the players he needs in the next 2 weeks.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:07:20 PM »
So everyone who's advocating 4-2-3-1 is consigning Lambert to the bench? I can't see him being happy with that for a second. He could have done the same at Liverpool for more money.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
So everyone who's advocating 4-2-3-1 is consigning Lambert to the bench? I can't see him being happy with that for a second. He could have done the same at Liverpool for more money.
He wouldn't have made the bench this year at Liverpool. He knows he's go more chance of competing for a place with us.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »

Lambert can play the number 10 role with Berahino on the left as an inside forward.

He/him

spyro

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »
Lambert can play the number 10 role with Berahino on the left as an inside forward.
so youd play our best player on the wing, where hes no where near as good

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »
He played 4-2-3-1 at Palace, don't see why he wouldn't with us when he gets the players he needs in the next 2 weeks.

Yeah he did but with a squad better suited to 4-2-3-1 here he still goes 4-4-2 so I am guessing he is pretty wedded to the system

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
There's no way we should be considering Gardner and Morrison as viable right winger options. The only reason they played there as we literally had no wingers available.

Also, I've read quite a few times that Pulis see's Phillips as someone who can play centrally too.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »
so youd play our best player on the wing, where hes no where near as good

He does just fine there for the England U21s...

He/him

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 11:52:18 PM »
There's no way we should be considering Gardner and Morrison as viable right winger options. The only reason they played there as we literally had no wingers available.

Also, I've read quite a few times that Pulis see's Phillips as someone who can play centrally too.

Not the case on Saturday all three of the wingers which TP bought to the club were available. It was a tactical decision.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 11:59:16 PM »

Gardner and Morrison should not play there, and just because they 'can', it doesn't mean they should. Morrison hasn't really played there in years, and when he did he was poor - like Gardner he does better centrally.
This then leaves us with McManaman and Gnabry for now.
Well, I think McManaman is too injury prone to be a massive regular, and as good as Gnabry may be, he is only on loan. Thus, it means at least for the future that Phillips would be a good deal.