Author Topic: All time XI?  (Read 15373 times)

very old baggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: All time XI?
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
Great thread, and as I first saw the Baggies back in 1960 I've got some cracking players to chose from.

This team might seem a little unbalanced, let's say. But tactics never was my strong point and on the basis that we'd score more goals than we let in, I'm going for:

John Osborne
Don Howe
Bryan Robson
Derek Statham
Bobby Hope
Bomber Brown
Laurie Cunningham
Ronnie Allen
Jeff Astle
Cyrille Regis
Clive Clarke

So three at the back, two in midfield and five up front. That forward line would put the fear of God up any team!

Mind you, if it really was an all-time XI, including players I never saw, Jesse Pennington, Billy Bassett and Ray Barlow would have to be there.

you wont be surprised that I largely agree with your team jsam....

however, for me, as Im a little older  ;D, we would have to find space for ray barlow and derek kevan...

oh and joe kennedy would also be in my team...

and bobby robson....

maybe tony godden too....

in fact my team wouldnt look too much like yours after all.... ;D

good fun this innit?

vob
very old baggie...sandershowemillardsetterskennedybarlowgriffinrobsonallenkevanlee(orhorobin)

deejay

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
;)  ;) Be jesus, now just how di ya yew new dhat?  :-*

Mind you I am English but live in Turkey but I do like me guinness  ;) ;)
   you mean Derek
Hoult,Mulligan,Statham,Brown,Robertson,Wile,Robson,Cunningham,Regis,Giles,Johnston. I HATE VILLA MORE THAN YOU

http://david3525.fotopic.net            http://jacksgallery.fotopic.net

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
You're not showing youragenice1, but Gary Thompson should be nowhere near an all time XI.

Kirkland
Batson    Wile        Olsson  Statham
        Mulumbu      Robson
Johnston                             Cunningham

Bomber

Astle
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »
I used to like Garry Thompson, one of the best partners Regis had for me, scored 39 goals in 91 games for us, one goal better than he managed in 134 for Coventry, never seen a player since who could jump as high and seem to linger in the air as he did.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2012, 09:51:40 PM »
Surprised to see Bryan Robson at centre back from some fans.   I know he is said to have played every position for us and I didnt ever see him for Albion but from the mid 80s to early 90s was there a better centre midfielder in English football or even the World than Bryan Robson?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:24 AM »
Surprised to see Bryan Robson at centre back from some fans.   I know he is said to have played every position for us and I didnt ever see him for Albion but from the mid 80s to early 90s was there a better centre midfielder in English football or even the World than Bryan Robson?

No!
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Turkish baggie

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2012, 05:46:04 AM »
No!

Brian Robson was great! I saw him play alongside John Wile at Villa Park in a Friday night league game, believe me he was a revolation. Beckenbaur would bring the ball out of defence and just keep on going, Brian did the same that night. The Villa players just kept backing of to mark expecting Robbo to pass but he just came & came. We won 1-0 I think but it should have been more.
I truly expected Robbo as he got a little older to actually move into the centre back position. His power, tackling & heading ability were so suited, but then he still ended up a midfield legend! 

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:15 AM »
Brian Robson was great! I saw him play alongside John Wile at Villa Park in a Friday night league game, believe me he was a revolation. Beckenbaur would bring the ball out of defence and just keep on going, Brian did the same that night. The Villa players just kept backing of to mark expecting Robbo to pass but he just came & came. We won 1-0 I think but it should have been more.
I truly expected Robbo as he got a little older to actually move into the centre back position. His power, tackling & heading ability were so suited, but then he still ended up a midfield legend!

A true Legend, a fantastic captain/footballer & probably my all time favourite Baggie, although it all went a bit wrong for him as a manager in the end, he gave us the great escape & that was a brilliant roller coaster, great memories-- love Robbo  :) :)
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
hoult

balis
olsson
moore
clement

Brunt
maresca
sneekes
kilbane

hughes
phillips

subs:
foster, gaardsoe, gera, mulumbu, odemwingie
Baggie Terra

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »
you wont be surprised that I largely agree with your team jsam....

however, for me, as Im a little older  ;D, we would have to find space for ray barlow and derek kevan...

oh and joe kennedy would also be in my team...

and bobby robson....

maybe tony godden too....

in fact my team wouldnt look too much like yours after all.... ;D

good fun this innit?

vob
I tried very hard to fit "The Tank" in. And Bobby rather than Bryan? I won't fight you for it! As for Ray Barlow, I don't think I ever saw him, but I've still got a picture of him on my bedroom wall (Sad, I know). I'd still put Ozzy over Tony Godden, though.

Overall, I bow to you, old wise one!
Remember the past - learn from it