Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5135191 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #13750 on: February 26, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »
Would prefer to watch Bournemouth's style of football than ours but our style is bringing in more points. we've definitely played a better brand of football than last season but would like us to improve our ball retention because its irritating watching the opposition knock the ball around with ease.
Pulis is doing a good job but wouldn't be overly concerned if he left. lets face it we've all seen them come and go and lots of us have celebrated victories under men like gould and saunders.
its possible to be happy with the way things are going without having to like the managers.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13751 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
Anyone who isnt enjoying this football I really dont know what too say

You want Mowbray football and winning the championship then fine you prefer lower league football, I love this style of football over possession based tippy tappy myself, counter attacking football at pace is the type of football I love and we are playing that

Some just dont want to like Pulis at any cost, they cant see that we are building a good side and want to criticise when there is not much to criticise about, as is a persons right.....but its not something I can subscribe too so will leave them to their critical ramblings.

We wanted a new owner who could help us invest better - we got it
We wanted a change in playing style - we go it
We wanted better players - we got them
We wanted rid of the deadwood and players that didnt want to be here - we got that
We didnt want to be in a relegation fight every year - we've changed that

Now it seems unless Pulis 'wins' something its irrelevant how we are playing or where we are in the league as it means nothing

You cant argue with or debate with people that literally do not like the manager whatever we do
Too early to say yet if the new owners will invest better ,may be this summer will give us some indication. not sure if we need better or more as a small investment can reap rewards.

boingusmaximus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #13752 on: February 26, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »
Agree with sentiments from Caravan, Overseas and VVV.
I agree about the dark days, but there was some fun to be had even then. I certainly don't think any club has a right to win things, but 50 years without anything is getting a bit much. Even Blues have won something!
Things did change from the Leicester away game, and maybe TP did get some form of ultimatum from within, because it is better than it was. I still wouldn't go to watch us away from home too often, as the tactics are generally too negative. I don't like time wasting as it is cheating the paying public.
TP is doing the job he was asked to do by JP, and he seems good at that. I am not sure he has the ability to move on, in which case we stagnate. I just don't see talented players coming here knowing they will spend most of their time chasing the ball rather than having it. Not an advocate of tippy tappy football, but like to see the team I support have the ball and be creative.
Good to have differing opinions, and am happy that a lot of supporters are enjoying things more. TP is just not my cup of tea, and so don't feel the desire to watch every game. I was there yesterday and it was ok. Seen a lot worse, but seen much much better (rose tinted glasses donned for Astle, Regis, Cunningham etc.)         

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13753 on: February 26, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
Wouldn't it be fair to complain about stagnation once we've, well, stagnated? We have made clear improvements.

I also reject this idea that our play has anything to do with ultimatums, TP thinking 'well I need the cash', it coincided with 2 simple things.

1) getting brunt and morrison back in.
2) some astute signings in the summer.

Chadli, Phillips and Nyom are all key members of the first team now.  Combine those with Brunt and Morrison coming back in that's nearly half your team.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13754 on: February 26, 2017, 03:27:17 PM »
No offence meant VVV but your not supporting your team you said your self you don`t go down any more. As for keyboard warrior why not i take in all home matches and a lot away so i enjoy talking about our side online

Pulisisabaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #13755 on: February 26, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
How is Raneiri style an upgrade on Pulis with thirty percent possession?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13756 on: February 26, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
How is Raneiri style an upgrade on Pulis with thirty percent possession?

Total this. I remember last season getting similar possession stats to us but no one minds when you're winning.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13757 on: February 26, 2017, 05:30:34 PM »
Wouldn't it be fair to complain about stagnation once we've, well, stagnated? We have made clear improvements.

I also reject this idea that our play has anything to do with ultimatums, TP thinking 'well I need the cash', it coincided with 2 simple things.

1) getting brunt and morrison back in.
2) some astute signings in the summer.

Chadli, Phillips and Nyom are all key members of the first team now.  Combine those with Brunt and Morrison coming back in that's nearly half your team.
Agreed, the ultimatum bit is convenient speculation and being used as a way of explaining a Pulis team not conforming to type. I've mentioned it before, we played a pretty decent style for about a dozen games last year usually when we had Sess, Morrison and Brunt in the team. As you say once Morrison and Brunt were injured we struggled as we didn't have the likes of Chadli and Phillips around then.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13758 on: February 26, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »
The handbrake hasn't come off. No ultimata have been issued.

We simply signed better players in the summer and Brunt and Morrison were fit again. As a few on here said would happen...  8)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13759 on: February 26, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »
We do seem to be playing a more intensive pressing game.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13760 on: February 26, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »

Superior fitness is also showing too. Thought we definitely had more in the tank than Bournemouth yesterday and in other games such as the Stoke match. Conceding less late goals because of this and seeing games out I think.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13761 on: February 26, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »

Yeah, it's interesting how we will sometimes drop back when we lose possession but if the circumstances allow we really press far forward sometimes.  Proper hunting them down.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13762 on: February 26, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
Superior fitness is also showing too. Thought we definitely had more in the tank than Bournemouth yesterday and in other games such as the Stoke match. Conceding less late goals because of this and seeing games out I think.
Spot on Brom!
 Build foundations.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13763 on: February 27, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »
Pulis has done far better this year iv had a huge helping of humble pie he's built a good team and for the first time in ages there is good competition in the squad.

My niggling doubt is what beyond 40? We fizzled out terribley last year I hope it doesn't go the same way this year
O Albion we love you

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13764 on: February 27, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
The handbrake hasn't come off. No ultimata have been issued.

We simply signed better players in the summer and Brunt and Morrison were fit again. As a few on here said would happen...  8)

We are getting better at Pulisball?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13765 on: February 27, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »

I'm not even sure what that means.  We don't currently play like Stoke did under Pulis and we're not playing like Palace did either, and nor are we playing like last season? 

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13766 on: February 27, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »

if you would like to define Pulisball that would be great

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13767 on: February 27, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
People hated Pulis six months ago. Now he's the best thing since sliced bread. In another six months it could all change again.

As long as the results keep coming, the majority will back him. When they stop, the majority will be against him. So it will be with every manager.

I disagree with Pulis completely on how football should be played, and looking over the last couple of pages I know I'm not alone. It's just a shame that those of us who stick by our principles are derided for it.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #13768 on: February 27, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
People hated Pulis six months ago. Now he's the best thing since sliced bread. In another six months it could all change again.

As long as the results keep coming, the majority will back him. When they stop, the majority will be against him. So it will be with every manager.

I disagree with Pulis completely on how football should be played, and looking over the last couple of pages I know I'm not alone. It's just a shame that those of us who stick by our principles are derided for it.

A lot of the people who hated him still do.

I had had enough of the football on show, that has changed, so have my feeling towards the type of football on offer now.

I dont see what principles have to do with anything in this matter....the football we are playing under him is completely different to what we saw before so what id like to know is what part of the football Pulis is giving us dont you agree with?? Is it the decent passing, fast paced counter attacking football, the great defending or the consolidated 8th place we currently find ourselves in.

People are being derided because they still use the term 'Pulisball' when in reality we are exciting to watch...yes that may all change in future it has with past managers and will with future ones.

There are many who cannot and will not eat humble pie regarding Pulis and thats pretty sad

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13769 on: February 27, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »
The commentators on Saturday talked very favourably about how good we are to watch and some of our passing was really easy on the eye. Reading some of the Bournemouth comments about how our attacks are lightening quick and much more effective than their tippy-tappy sideways passing.

What's frustrating is that people have asked for certain things (better quality football, more shots, more shots on target, more goals, better home performances, going at teams, good results, etc) and at the moment we're getting every single one of them yet it STILL isn't enough.

As it stands this is currently our most successful Premier League season and there's still moans!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13770 on: February 27, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
A lot of the people who hated him still do.

I had had enough of the football on show, that has changed, so have my feeling towards the type of football on offer now.

I dont see what principles have to do with anything in this matter....the football we are playing under him is completely different to what we saw before so what id like to know is what part of the football Pulis is giving us dont you agree with?? Is it the decent passing, fast paced counter attacking football, the great defending or the consolidated 8th place we currently find ourselves in.

People are being derided because they still use the term 'Pulisball' when in reality we are exciting to watch...yes that may all change in future it has with past managers and will with future ones.

There are many who cannot and will not eat humble pie regarding Pulis and thats pretty sad

To understand why people still regard this as Pulisball would be to understand that there are fundamental problems with the English game, and the British approach to football in general. To understand that no other league is like the Premier League for a very good reason. To understand that somebody like Pulis would never get a job, let alone one like this one, in any other country.

Or you could look at the fact our top scorer is a 37-year-old centre-half. Our possession in a home game against a team half our size was 32%. That our passing success rates are still poor. That most of our goals this season have carried a fair element of luck to them (deflections and such). That just because we're 8th, and have a successful game plan, doesn't mean that it's being achieved in the right way.

If you look at things objectively, you realise that a lot of the criticisms that opposing fans have of us are actually valid (and are indeed things we have said in the past about others).

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13771 on: February 27, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »
But you're not looking at it objectively, your post comes across very pretentious tbh.

So what if McAuley is joint top scorer.
So what if possession is low?
So what if you think some of our goals don't count because they were "lucky"?

How's our wins column?
Is it exciting to watch?
How are our goals shared around the team?
How many points do we have?
Has the squad improved?
Do we look like we're moving in the right direction?

If you think the football we're playing now and the football we were playing this time last year are the same, then you're not being objective, at all.  Labelling it "Pulisball" is just a really lazy accusation, I can understand other fans\pundits who don't see us play week in\week out, from actual fans, well, it's just a sign of a lack of objectivity - "it's Pulis, ergo I hate it"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:46:47 PM by boinging_along »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13772 on: February 27, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
Pulis is also currently the highest placed English manager in the league so can't be doing too badly

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13773 on: February 27, 2017, 01:54:42 PM »
Pulis is also currently the highest placed English manager in the league so can't be doing too badly

Except he's Welsh
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13774 on: February 27, 2017, 01:57:11 PM »