Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 363730 times)

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #725 on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »
I find it unbelievable people aren't on board with Pulis if it's to be him. He has significant prem experience and was manager of the year last year. Albion do not play stylish football and have only done sporadically in our history. Rather,  we're famed in recent times (last 35 yrs) in having wingers and a pacey, counter attacking game, although in reality we've seen this for 5 seasons in 35years. This is what Pulis produced at a Palace and at times at Stoke. His legacy at Stoke is huge, he was their  Megson (woke up the whole club)  but also established them in the premier league so went way further than Megson could with us. He's the stand out candidate to me. It's always a gamble but he seems the least risky of everyone. With the board's recent judgement of slightly 'unpredictable' candidates, surely the safest option is the best bet now.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #726 on: December 30, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
Whatever happens, whoever we appoint please do not appoint Colin!

That would just be the icing on the cake wouldn't it?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #727 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »
Totally agree than any thing other than winning is luxury at the moment. Let's face it if we had won at QPR and Stoke and were sitting on 23 points mid-table we'd be saying let's see out the season with AI and rethink in the close season. Staying up is priority no.1.

Let's face it if the players held their nerve at QPR and we'd scored the penalty at Hull we'd be 5 points better off and 12th in the league with a two point buffer. As much as Irvine wasn't good enough, as much as we like to pin blame on a stagnant and uninspiring coaching set up of Downing and Keily (who shouldn't even bloody have any influence as goalkeeping coach!) the PLAYERS are also common denominator. I know we talk about the 'clique' but Clarke, Mel and now Irvine, the players have been common denominator.

Yes we bought new players but they haven't been played. Yes there's suspicions some aren't good enough but there's players we've outgrown who aren't putting in performances. Yes they should have been dropped and that is what I blame the coaching staff for (remember when Hodgson came in and made Meite who'd been frozen out look a decent premier league centre back?) but the be all and end all is that the players on the pitch haven't played well. Sole blame on coaching staff makes sense if the players are visibly good enough but until that's the case, the players need to take a large chunk of the blame. Can a new man do it? I don't know.

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #728 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
Speak to those who were there in the 50s. We were invited to play against the best clubs in Europe because of our style and its a style that has stayed with us straight throughout to now with the obvious blip that was Megson and beforehand Gould. We have never been a long ball team other than under those managers. In the 80s and 90s the club was on its knees and bought cr*p players. Still played football on the deck. Ossie Ardiles played great football. That season was a joy to watch.
You must have been watching a different team to me then! Long periods over the last 50 years where we didn't have the ability in the team to play attractive football
Don't call me Walt

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #729 on: December 30, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
Let's face it if the players held their nerve at QPR and we'd scored the penalty at Hull we'd be 5 points better off and 12th in the league with a two point buffer. As much as Irvine wasn't good enough, as much as we like to pin blame on a stagnant and uninspiring coaching set up of Downing and Keily (who shouldn't even bloody have any influence as goalkeeping coach!) the PLAYERS are also common denominator. I know we talk about the 'clique' but Clarke, Mel and now Irvine, the players have been common denominator.

Yes we bought new players but they haven't been played. Yes there's suspicions some aren't good enough but there's players we've outgrown who aren't putting in performances. Yes they should have been dropped and that is what I blame the coaching staff for (remember when Hodgson came in and made Meite who'd been frozen out look a decent premier league centre back?) but the be all and end all is that the players on the pitch haven't played well. Sole blame on coaching staff makes sense if the players are visibly good enough but until that's the case, the players need to take a large chunk of the blame. Can a new man do it? I don't know.

Which is why we now need a strong character not scared of upsetting some of the regulars.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ronny boy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #730 on: December 30, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Pulis seems to be a manager who'll play a system to suit his best starting 11... isn't that what we want?

..and with Hull & Leicester on the likely look out for a new manager in the next few weeks, how would we feel if Pulls went to either of those.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #731 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Just been reading the oatcake.

They really don't like us do they?  :D

Most of them are of the opinion that Pulis would keep us up and probably get a result against them as well.

Although they seem pretty happy that they will be able to come to the hawthorns and shout hoof all game.

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #732 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
Which is why we now need a strong character not scared of upsetting some of the regulars.
Including the fans it appears
Don't call me Walt

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #733 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »
Just been reading the oatcake.

They really don't like us do they?  :D

Most of them are of the opinion that Pulis would keep us up and probably get a result against them as well.

Although they seem pretty happy that they will be able to come to the hawthorns and shout hoof all game.

When the chips are down its time to go read the Oatcake :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggielad82

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #734 on: December 30, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »
West Brom in Sherwood & Pulis talks - BBC Sport - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30632865
I'm watching you Ghandi!!!

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #735 on: December 30, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
Had an idea, given Newcastle and bookies' favourite colacinni,  what's to stop us appointing brunt? ? :)

If we don't announce manager in next 24 hours I'llstart to worry....
Manager is important, but so is bringing players in.

Imagine the conversation with pulis:

"tony we'd like to offer you downing and kylie as coaches..."

we would also suggest we pay you ten thousand pounds a week....

transfer fees?? We do not do transfer fees in january tony?

Berahino? sorry tony we've got to sell him. We have to pay off allan and the other coaches..

transfers? You want full control?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #736 on: December 30, 2014, 11:02:09 AM »
I was reading another forum yesterday and a poster on there had suggested that we had breifly spoken to Jol who was not interested. They suggested that his heart was no longer in it and was part of the reason that Fulham were so bad in his last season there. Obviously there were other issues which added to Fulham being relegated.

If that is the case then we need to stay away and get someone who has a bit of fight in them.

If that's true, then absolutely right to avoid him although on paper he looked an excellent fit.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #737 on: December 30, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
I think it'll be Sherwood and if I am honest, I would be a little disapointed with that for two reasons.

Firstly Sherwood is a bit of a livewire and potentially could fall out with JP very quickly however I can see how he would fit into our current system.

Secondly that means Pulis will probably go to somewhere like Leicester or Hull and keep them up.

Personally for me Pulis is the one I would want but suspect that won't happen.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #738 on: December 30, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
I think this seems like its Pulis job, and if Peace is willing to rip up our model, hes clearly showing faith in Pulis and giving him full control.

Maybe the people who say Peace doesnt care about the club, might stop if he does change the structure to get his man.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #739 on: December 30, 2014, 11:19:21 AM »
I think it'll be Sherwood and if I am honest, I would be a little disapointed with that for two reasons.

Firstly Sherwood is a bit of a livewire and potentially could fall out with JP very quickly however I can see how he would fit into our current system.

Secondly that means Pulis will probably go to somewhere like Leicester or Hull and keep them up.

Personally for me Pulis is the one I would want but suspect that won't happen.
I think the same , transfers will be the issue with Pulis.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

The Stroller

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #740 on: December 30, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
Had a horrid night's sleep mithering about the new manager/head coach. Couldn't get Ally McCoist out of my head. Very concerned.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #741 on: December 30, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Sherwood forest,

you heard it here, 2700001st
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #742 on: December 30, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »
I also remember one article saying that Sherwood doesn't believe in defensive midfielders, which I wouldn't be happy with as I feel Mulumbu and Yacob should be playing, which was even part of Irvine's downfall.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #743 on: December 30, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »
I think Peace would've known he'd have to change things to get Pulis here, look at why he left Palace and any one of us knows he wouldn't just fit in with the current system.

With the above in mind and what ITK people have said it sounds like Pulis had already had informal discussions with Peace so i don't think these kind of issues are being discussed now, surely SURELY it is much further down the line than that.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #744 on: December 30, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
Pulis as short as 1/3 with Sherwood drifting to 2/1, Money must be going on our Tone
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #745 on: December 30, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
I also remember one article saying that Sherwood doesn't believe in defensive midfielders, which I wouldn't be happy with as I feel Mulumbu and Yacob should be playing, which was even part of Irvine's downfall.
Sherwood also played Eriksen out wide a lot too , I for one have had enough of players playing out of position!

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #746 on: December 30, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
The job is screaming out for Pulis.

But this is WBA, and things are never that simple.

nogin

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #747 on: December 30, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
We would be foolish to not get Pulis. We have a system in place which needs to be tweaked and he may be the man to do this. This is an interesting piece just as he got released for Stoke http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11701/8734192/tony-pulis-planned-for-future-before-stoke-sacking.
We have the right idea maybe we need a bloke like Pulis to achieve as he seems to appreciate the concept.     

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #748 on: December 30, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
sorted by the cup game hopefully, right old banana skin eh
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #749 on: December 30, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
Whoever takes the poison chalice, I hope will give us a double spearhead in Berahino and Varela.
Two speedy players who can unlock a lot of defences.
I could see Pulis using this system.
He also favours a solid back four with no "meandering" up field......Their job is defence.