0 (0%)
Adam Reach
2 (4.3%)
Jordan Hugill
0 (0%)
Grady Diangana
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: 3 Nov 2021 Albion 1 Hull City 0  (Read 26561 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »
Who were the 5 defenders?

I noticed 3 at the back, Townsend at LWB and TGH (a forward player) at RWB.

Townsend is obviously more than a defender as shown this season.

No need to make stuff up to suit your narrative

They dropped into a back 5 on several occasions when Hull were in possession Tom. I know we were playing a back 3 so that makes it even more frustrating when we are supposed to be 'pressing' them
MAGA!

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #376 on: November 04, 2021, 10:38:04 AM »
A win is a win.
It was tough not always pretty but we got the job done.So pleased to see Grant on the score sheet again. Kipre looked solid enough.  Lad on debut looked pretty composed .

Onto Colins mob on Saturday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #377 on: November 04, 2021, 10:41:06 AM »
I thought we played well last night from the start of the second half up until soon after we scored. Other than that, it was pretty uninspiring and wasn't a patch on the performance against Bristol City. Gardner-Hickman did really well and I thought Kipre did too until he started to wobble right at the end of the game. His first-time through ball to Grant, who spurned the resulting one-on-one, was excellent for a central defender. I thought Reach did quite well when he came on too and Johnstone's distribution was good.

I think we would have benefitted significantly from Molumby's drive and energy in midfield last night, but he continues to be unfairly (in my view) omitted since his excellent performance against Bristol City. Keeping Snodgrass (who'll be leaving at the end of the season) in the side after his inexcusable gaffe last Saturday, which effectively put the game beyond us, was mystifying. I just hope the central midfield pairing is changed for the next game, as playing a 34 and 31 year-old together 3 times in a week would just be ridiculous.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #378 on: November 04, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »
They dropped into a back 5 on several occasions when Hull were in possession Tom. I know we were playing a back 3 so that makes it even more frustrating when we are supposed to be 'pressing' them

Thats not 5 defenders though ala Pulis who played 4 CH's across the back 4 or 5 if he played a back 5.

The role of Wingbacks is to drop back to make you more defensively solid when not in possession and being attacked.

It wasnt 5 defenders playing
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #379 on: November 04, 2021, 10:59:30 AM »
His absolute lack of tactical flexibility and in game management for starters

Which one ??  Pulis or VI ??

a) I would argue VI has been slightly less intransigent than the coward
b) In game management? well if Ben Foster time wasting after 10 mins in a home game counts, then the coward has the edge

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #380 on: November 04, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
Who were the 5 defenders?

I noticed 3 at the back, Townsend at LWB and TGH (a forward player) at RWB.

Townsend is obviously more than a defender as shown this season.

No need to make stuff up to suit your narrative

Thank’s for that Tom - I stopped myself from replying to that post.
Exactly my thoughts. Some of our supporters? I’m afraid, are living in a parallel universe - they say what they want/hope to see.
The worst offenders have yet to grace their presence / or cast their dark shadow on these boards.
Neil - you must admit I have been gracious enough not to have my post deleted :D

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #381 on: November 04, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »
Well, my paint is dry now so....

Hull are 23rd in the league, have scored 9 goals all season and have amassed 9 points out of 42. They are not bottom by virtue of the fact that the team below have had a points deduction. Listening to VI last night you would have thought we were playing Liverpool. 'This was a difficult game for us and we had to wait for that one chance'. Hull came to park the bus and we could not really find a way through. We were lucky to win that last night, from about the only time we used the press. With respect to Hull we have far better players and we really should be giving teams like this a good trousering - Fulham would have. Playing 5 at the back when they were in possession? They woke up after we scored and we were lucky to get that win.

Having read this thread I saw the comments about Pulis. I actually said to the chap next door to me that this was like watching a Pulis team with a bit of attacking intent. Fell asleep watching them pass the ball to each other at the back when it was goaless. Where was the gegenpressen? And I don't think we can play Livermore and Snodgrass together, mystified why Molumby did not get any game time. VI said we controlled the game, perhaps we did but we hardly dominated them and for me this was down to lack of 'control' in the midfield.

For me the win does not gloss over the fact that once again we were absolutely average. We all know that the main problem is our ownership and lack of vison/investment, but VI has to take some of the blame for what he is putting out on the pitch. He got a tune out of Barnsley who  are not of the same quality as many of our players, so why are we so poor? A few new faces may be the answer, but we are hardly an attractive proposition are we? Would you trust him with what little money we may have? Not sure I would. The fact that TGH is our overwhelming MOTM tells you everything you need to know about our team.

I bet you Warnock is already on the bus waiting to come down......

As a counter argument, there are 8 teams (1/3 of the total) in the league that have conceded more goals than Hull this season.

They set up to draw a line under their series of losses & came with a plan not to lose.

Even the great teams find it difficult to break that down.

From recollection, we had something like 17 shots, of which 5 were on target.

We are making chances, we're just not very good at converting them.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #382 on: November 04, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »
Thats not 5 defenders though ala Pulis who played 4 CH's across the back 4 or 5 if he played a back 5.

The role of Wingbacks is to drop back to make you more defensively solid when not in possession and being attacked.

It wasnt 5 defenders playing

I get all that and I agree with you, but this was Hull we were playing who it seems need a map to find our goal.

Mind you I am living in a parallel universe apparently 😉
MAGA!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #383 on: November 04, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
People need to stop thinking of "wingbacks" as defenders. They are not. I don't like the term "wingback" in relation to this system its misleading. To be honest I dont like it full stop its a hybrid of winger and full back. They are wide midfielders really and that's the best way of thinking about them.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #384 on: November 04, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »
People need to stop thinking of "wingbacks" as defenders. They are not. I don't like the term "wingback" in relation to this system its misleading. To be honest I dont like it full stop its a hybrid of winger and full back. They are wide midfielders really and that's the best way of thinking about them.

Which is where I expect them to be, helping Dik and Dom out in midfield.

It was just an observation, that's all chaps. I saw it and discussed it with the chap in the next seat [who took no notice probably given that I said how impressed I was with 'Aaron Finch'], other posters have referred to it, and it was mentioned on WM last night. This is why I have also said that it was like watching a Pulis side as well.

We will never get an easier home game than last night, but hey we 'battered' them 1-0

Back off to my parallel universe to paint another door ;D
MAGA!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #385 on: November 04, 2021, 12:54:11 PM »
Then relegated

Yes then relegated..... largely down to Pulis. Awful manager.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #386 on: November 04, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »
Yes then relegated..... largely down to Pulis. Awful manager.

Left us outside the relegation spots.  We got Pardewed.

Llanon Baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #387 on: November 04, 2021, 01:09:29 PM »
A win is a win, and even better that I could watch without the 5 whinging old Gammons who sit behind me constantly moaning week after week . Must have been too cold for them ?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #388 on: November 04, 2021, 01:13:09 PM »
We have definitely adapted to the way we were playing in the first few games. We are playing more football now. Anyone that can't see that is either in a stubborn denial in an attempt to validate their initial opinion or they don't understand football and don't understand what they are watching. It can't be anything else. Simple as that.

It's not Brazil 1970, maybe not but the ball is being played much more on the floor now and we are passing it around more. We completed 414 passes last night compared to Hull's 133 and had 135 attacks of which 67 were adjudged to be "dangerous" attacks.

I do agree with this - we've certainly adapted and last night was evident that we were trying to keep hold of the ball more.

That is certainly going to pay dividends rather than the kick and rush we had seen at the start of the season.

Unfortunately, what we really lack - and this is no fault of Ismael's - is that bit of quality and penetration that can break down a stubborn opposition low block.

Our goal last night - although from a high press - really came through sheer persistence with crosses into the box and moving the ball much quicker, not allowing their defence to settle. It is one rather one dimensional and what we ideally need in January is a creative midfielder to add another dimension to our play. 

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #389 on: November 04, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »
I do agree with this - we've certainly adapted and last night was evident that we were trying to keep hold of the ball more.

That is certainly going to pay dividends rather than the kick and rush we had seen at the start of the season.

Unfortunately, what we really lack - and this is no fault of Ismael's - is that bit of quality and penetration that can break down a stubborn opposition low block.

Our goal last night - although from a high press - really came through sheer persistence with crosses into the box and moving the ball much quicker, not allowing their defence to settle. It is one rather one dimensional and what we ideally need in January is a creative midfielder to add another dimension to our play.

Would that be a parallel one? I know just the man ! ;D
Albion Family !!!

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #390 on: November 04, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »

Basically if we had Pereira and a decent striker we could start spending the premiership TV money now. But alas we're relying on Hugill and hoping Snodgrass can roll back the years.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #391 on: November 04, 2021, 02:00:00 PM »
In the good old days we would call them Half Backs
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #392 on: November 04, 2021, 02:05:01 PM »
can we stop moaning about our midfield 2 now then?

Bugger, got to find a new target,

Done the keeper, Furlong, Bartley, Townsend, Jake, Grant, Hugill. We are running out of options,

Ajayi, bugger didn't play, next ?? 

Matty P - beware, flak inbound !
Albion Family !!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #393 on: November 04, 2021, 02:24:17 PM »

The last paragraph shows why we have managed to win most games at home even when below par, persistence and playing the game in their half.  It is hard to concentrate full on when defending for 90+, and I don't think it is a coincidence we have edged a few games when we didn't score early by nicking one late on.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #394 on: November 04, 2021, 07:16:26 PM »
A lot of people think xG is a valuable metric, I’m one of them.

However I’ve just seen that of the midweek games, our xG was the highest at 2.35. Higher than Fulham who’s was 2.25. We scored 1, they scored 7.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #395 on: November 04, 2021, 08:26:29 PM »
Thought we stated brightly enough for the first 15 mins, thought we were going to get an early goal. We then stopped playing and the rest of the first half was a bit of a chore, Phillips hitting the post aside.

2nd half we were better and deserved the win but it was hard work with only one side with any interest in winning the game.

As others have said, the press that was so crucial to those earlier better performances, has been forgotten about. We need to get it back but also be able to play through the pitch.

Townsend, Reach, Gardner-Hickman, Kipre all played well. Livermore was solid and his pressing won the ball back that led to the goal. Johnstone had nothing to do really until the last few minutes but had kept his concentration and his distribution was much better than of late.

Robinson had one of those games when nothing he tried came off for him (apart form the short pass assist for the goal and I do wonder if he only passed it as he lacked the confidence to shoot and risk missing).

We'll need a much better performance against Boro on Saturday that's for sure.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #396 on: November 04, 2021, 10:56:00 PM »
Left us outside the relegation spots.  We got Pardewed.

Factually correct of course. It cannot be proven  but I am convinced we would have been relegated anyway. As bad as Pardew was I always add that to follow Pulis into the role after the mess he had created was mission impossible.