Author Topic: Jordan Hugill loan ended  (Read 84959 times)

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jordan Hugill joins on loan
« Reply #450 on: November 24, 2021, 08:03:58 PM »
Although I'm not majorly impressed with Val at the minute, I think this is why we're in the position we're currently in. Often, Bilic had the luxury of bringing Charlie Austin off the bench. He cost £4 million and was on north of £60k p/w apparently. Even though he wasn't a great signing for us, he got us 10 league goals that season and earned us our fair share of points because of it.

It's a classic case of using our financial advantage from a parachute payment to put us in front of the league. This year our owners literally haven't spent a penny on transfer fees and it shows. Hugill off the bench who does nothing. Looking around the team actually, the quality isn't great which is worrying.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #451 on: November 24, 2021, 08:21:44 PM »
I know that some people believe that we need a physical presence to make our high press work but I still don’t see that.  Other teams play high press with small stature centre forwards.  SKP/ SBT/ Hughes/ Gayle et al scored plenty against 6’2” centre backs.   I think you’re either a natural goal scorer or you’re not.  Any of these players would score a hatful of goals in this team.  We’ve always had at least one deadly striker in the lower leagues, even when we had far less money than we have now.  I can’t believe that we used to be able to afford a Bob Taylor but can’t or won’t today.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #452 on: November 25, 2021, 12:03:59 AM »
Hugill is not a natural goal scorer, he is not even able to impose himself on the defense due to his lack of control.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #453 on: November 25, 2021, 10:11:27 AM »
Hugill is not a natural goal scorer, he is not even able to impose himself on the defense due to his lack of control.

The question off that statement above is why the hell did we take him on-loan ?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #454 on: November 25, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
The question off that statement above is why the hell did we take him on-loan ?

I mentioned this yesterday on a different thread. When he was at QPR two years ago he scored 13 goals in 39 appearances, giving him a 1 in 3 hit rate. He is a proven goal scorer at this level and was obviously cheaper that DD

Like you I am frustrated but lets be fair here, Robbo is hardly banging them in is he?
MAGA!

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #455 on: November 25, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »
I’d send him back in Jan, even if we have to pay his wages, I’d rather a youngster from the academy not score goals and gain experience than this joke of a footballer carry on.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #456 on: November 25, 2021, 01:56:31 PM »
I mentioned this yesterday on a different thread. When he was at QPR two years ago he scored 13 goals in 39 appearances, giving him a 1 in 3 hit rate. He is a proven goal scorer at this level and was obviously cheaper that DD

Like you I am frustrated but lets be fair here, Robbo is hardly banging them in is he?

That 13 in 39 season was the exception and not the rule. He bagged 3 goals last season and probably won't get many more this season. Another truly awful signing. Only we could get rid of HRK and replace him with someone worse.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: November 25, 2021, 02:22:46 PM »
That 13 in 39 season was the exception and not the rule. He bagged 3 goals last season and probably won't get many more this season. Another truly awful signing. Only we could get rid of HRK and replace him with someone worse.

Others would see it that he got a good run in a Championship side and delivered the goods. The following season he was 2nd or 3rd choice behind Pukki so probably spent a lot of time on the bench [I have not checked].

I will agree that over his career it was a one off, but he still did it, at this level. A bit like Mr Grant really......
MAGA!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: November 25, 2021, 02:30:26 PM »
I'm not sure if it has been posted, but there was an athletic article on Monday, about our xG compared to shots.

I didnt read the article because I dont have access, but it was clear from the headline the article was going to demonstrate that whilst we have had a decent number of attempts recently, the quality of the chances has been very limited.

That's not one players fault, the whole team need to take a share of that blame, but you are unlikely to fix that by persisting with Hugil.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #459 on: November 25, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »
I'm not sure if it has been posted, but there was an athletic article on Monday, about our xG compared to shots.

I didnt read the article because I dont have access, but it was clear from the headline the article was going to demonstrate that whilst we have had a decent number of attempts recently, the quality of the chances has been very limited.

That's not one players fault, the whole team need to take a share of that blame, but you are unlikely to fix that by persisting with Hugil.
I thought I was going mad mate, I've been saying that we are creating the wrong sort of chances for weeks. Even when I say it, it sounds weird so glad there's a stat to back it up.  :D
Robbo, Grant, Phillips and even Diangana like to be running onto balls not getting on the end of crosses or receiving with back to goal. The formation and approach is a big reason why ALL of our front 5 are rubbish at present.

Doesn't excuse Hugill as he should be equipped to get on the end of crosses or receive the ball with back to goal.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #460 on: November 25, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »
He should have had 5 against Bristol City. Any half-decent striker would have had a hat-trick.

He's not a natural finisher; he works hard and holds the ball up, but players like him are being left behind in the modern game.

I'd sooner have Callum Morton back of his loan and in the team.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #461 on: November 25, 2021, 08:07:25 PM »
He should have had 5 against Bristol City. Any half-decent striker would have had a hat-trick.

He's not a natural finisher; he works hard and holds the ball up, but players like him are being left behind in the modern game.

I'd sooner have Callum Morton back of his loan and in the team.

I'm not sure he is even doing this, and that's a big problem.  Balls bouncing off him, going under his studs! When he has got hold of it his lay offs are poor.  I've said elsewhere I really want him to.come good, but looks like a player on the way down.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 08:10:28 PM by Oldbury24 »

cewba

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #462 on: November 25, 2021, 09:10:40 PM »
I’d send him back in Jan, even if we have to pay his wages, I’d rather a youngster from the academy not score goals and gain experience than this joke of a footballer carry on.

Totally agree with this

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #463 on: November 26, 2021, 10:30:13 AM »
I'm not sure he is even doing this, and that's a big problem.  Balls bouncing off him, going under his studs! When he has got hold of it his lay offs are poor.  I've said elsewhere I really want him to.come good, but looks like a player on the way down.

In fairness he's made some valuable contributions in the build up to a couple of goals and some decent chances which have been squandered as well.

I'm not for one moment suggesting he's done this enough though, and he really should have scored at least half a dozen by now. From memory I'm sure he himself has stated he should have more goals.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #464 on: November 26, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »

Of course we're rolling in dosh so we can afford to be paying the wages of somebody on the bench of another club.  Does Hugill being available for 15 minutes or so really prevent a youngster getting a chance?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #465 on: November 26, 2021, 12:43:23 PM »
Of course we're rolling in dosh so we can afford to be paying the wages of somebody on the bench of another club.  Does Hugill being available for 15 minutes or so really prevent a youngster getting a chance?

If you're using that argument, then is not having him for 15 minutes or so really going to make that much difference to our results?   We're still paying his wages so what difference is it if he sits on our bench or someone elses?  I'd argue our chances are better without him on the pitch so you could say it makes more sense to not play him.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2021, 01:26:35 PM »
Got a funny feeling he'll score for us tonight. No I haven't been on the mushrooms or to the pub either. These meds are a bit strong though and I haven't had much sleep over the last few nights. Still, cometh the hour and all that stuff. COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #467 on: November 26, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
Got a funny feeling he'll score for us tonight. No I haven't been on the mushrooms or to the pub either. These meds are a bit strong though and I haven't had much sleep over the last few nights. Still, cometh the hour and all that stuff. COYB  8) .

More chance of platting fog chap.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #468 on: November 26, 2021, 02:49:48 PM »
I think the board would accept if you are offering to use your money?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
I think the board would accept if you are offering to use your money?

So you’d rather keep him around when he offers zero. The money means nothing, we pay either way. For me you need to send a message that this standard is unacceptable.

Hes had a chance here and proven to be woefully bad.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #470 on: November 26, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »
So you’d rather keep him around when he offers zero. The money means nothing, we pay either way. For me you need to send a message that this standard is unacceptable.

Hes had a chance here and proven to be woefully bad.
My point is the board won’t send him back and pay his wages, not many clubs would.he doesn’t offer “nothing” his role against qpr in the win at the hawthorns was quite key, but it all depends on how you view the game .
I’m in a minority that would have kept Kanu, and I see why folk wouldn’t, but he gives us something.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #471 on: November 26, 2021, 05:13:24 PM »
My point is the board won’t send him back and pay his wages, not many clubs would.he doesn’t offer “nothing” his role against qpr in the win at the hawthorns was quite key, but it all depends on how you view the game .
I’m in a minority that would have kept Kanu, and I see why folk wouldn’t, but he gives us something.

The only thing this guy offers is the manager an excuse for us not scoring and the fans a reason to complain.

One of the worst footballers Albion have signed in 20 years.

Whoever sanctioned the signing should be nowhere near recruitment.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #472 on: November 26, 2021, 05:15:07 PM »
I would argue that Hugil makes us worse. He offers the out ball but it never sticks, he also waits for ball and the defenders get in front of him. I havent seen much in the way of defensive properties from him , so just a pagssenger

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #473 on: November 26, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
That miss at the end was disgusting

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #474 on: November 26, 2021, 09:57:15 PM »
Not even Sunday League level.