Author Topic: Jordan Hugill loan ended  (Read 85870 times)

breakfastbaggie

• Baby Baggie

Jordan Hugill loan ended
« on: August 25, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »
The strength of this signing depends upon if we sign a first choice striker before the window closes.

I like Hugill and think he will do a good job for us. He is a that and works hard. He is a plan B through his height. Long throws will suit him.

However, if that is our only striker signing this window, I will be pretty unhappy .. we need a mobile, quick player/striker to stretch games and get in behind. Grant did it twice on Saturday and we scored two goals as a result.

Or the other point is whether this frees up cash for a quality midfielder.

Too early to criticise yet but this is a solid signing IF others are to follow. I am disappointed by another loan given the comments by Ken about loans being the problem in the past. However, let us see on 1/9/21

I always like to promote the Canadian lads.  If you're talking quality midfielder, Stephen Eustaquio is seemingly stuck in purgatory with Pacos de Ferreira.  He was man of the match against Tottenham in their 1 to 0 victory.  His level is so much higher than most of the players at Pacos.  I'm not sure what this kid has to do to get noticed.  He can probably be had for 5 mil Euro.  He would be an absolute steal for so many clubs. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 01:11:57 PM by MarkW »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Re: The one big thread for unconfirmed rumours & tat
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »
I mentioned Hugill a while back and it was derided on here, as was David Moyes when he was available and we were looking. Some fans forget which division we are in and more importantly our owners "wealth" and intentions.

If Hugill comes in on loan with say Delap, that would be fine upfront imo.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
Jordan Hugill on loan is a complete waste of time in my view. May as well have kept HRK.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:00:28 PM »
No because "you go for the next best option on a loan or short term contract basis"

Perennially signing the wrong players is what got us into a mess in the first place. Successful Squads are built not thrown together out of desperation.
An experienced CF different to our other players on a 1 year loan.  Doesn't sound that desperate to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 05:08:44 PM »
I was initially aghast because i thought it was a loan to perm deal which would have made it an awful deal but as a pure loan i don't think it's that bad now i've had chance to mull it over.

Not a bad option off the bench at this level at all.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 05:37:51 PM »
A good thing about Hugil is that he played with Robinson for a while whilst at Preston so hopefully they already have some good link up play etc.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 05:48:44 PM »
An experienced CF different to our other players on a 1 year loan.  Doesn't sound that desperate to me.

Just this!  Mr M
FFS give the guy a chance, NONE of us know how he will pan out for us, but Even on the shallowest level he improves our options.

Bakeyaface

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
Hugill to be announced shortly. Final paperwork being sent to FA.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
Hugill announced on Twitter

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Jordan Hugill joins on loan
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »
On the os, welcome

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/hugill-arrives-hawthorns-season-long-loan

"Albion have bolstered their attacking options for the 2021/22 campaign with the signing of striker Jordan Hugill from Norwich City on a season-long loan.

The 29-year-old arrives with a wealth of Sky Bet Championship experience having made more than 100 appearances in the division over the last three years.

Hugill played 31 times in the league for the Canaries in 2020/21, helping them to the Championship title and a return to the Premier League.

The former QPR, Middlesbrough and Preston North End man will add further competition in forward areas, and boss Valérien Ismaël is delighted to have him on board.

“Jordan has the player profile we have been looking for and is the type of striker we needed,” the gaffer said. “I think with his experience, his mentality and his work ethic, he will suit us perfectly.

“We took our time to make the right decision and, after our first discussion with Jordan, we felt that he’s the right player for us. He was immediately committed to Albion and to our way to work and play. It’s exactly what we wanted; for a player to want to come here to help make us successful. I also think this is the right place for him.

“Jordan will allow us to be more adaptable as a team. We will have some games that are different and we will need more physicality in the box, making life difficult for the opponent’s centre-backs.

“He will help us link-up play and he will give us a different style, which is important in the Championship. He is strong in the air which will help us and he has a presence to win important duels.

“His skill and his experience will help him to score a lot of goals for us. He is able to score from open play and set-pieces. I think we saw already in our first few games that we have had a lot of crosses into the box and it is important we have a striker in the area who is able to win those headers.”

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
Signed before he even got his own thread.

To say I have some reservations is putting it mildly  :-X

The words in the article from Val suggest to me that there won't be anything more in the strikers dept regards incomings.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:08:25 PM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 06:09:06 PM »
If he's one of 2 striker arrivals, more than happy. If he's the only addition then FFS.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 06:10:05 PM »
Yeah if this is our only striker signing then god help us.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 06:13:57 PM »
Jordans comments

“Coming here was the best option I could have possibly picked,” said Jordan.

“You look at the size of the club and everything else that comes with the name West Bromwich Albion, it was something I just felt I had to be a part of.

“I’m delighted to be here and I want to help the club push for their targets.

“You look at the players in the squad and there’s so much talent and experience.

“It’s about fitting in, getting to know everyone and getting out on the pitch and showing what I’m all about.

“I’m really looking forward to being part of this team.”

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 06:19:56 PM »
Hugill to be announced shortly. Final paperwork being sent to FA.

Beat them by 1 minute mate!  8)

Do you have any idea from your friend if this is our only striker signing? Or are we looking for another striker too start as well?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jordan Hugill joins on loan
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 06:28:14 PM »
Hasn't kicked a ball for us yet but judging him on what he he has done so far in a long and mediocre career this is a terrible signing.

festerp

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 06:29:11 PM »
And the crowd went MILD!
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 06:30:15 PM »
Give the bloke a chance. This set up may suit him and us.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »
I could be wrong but I can’t remember our managers saying so much about a new Signing as part of an announcement in the past. Contrast that with Signings in the past who managers haven’t even spoken with.

Another example of how well VI handles the off the field stuff. Agree with Jacko that it sounds like he’s the only striker who will be joining though although I think he will do ok.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 06:38:08 PM »
Hasn't kicked a ball for us yet but judging him on what he he has done so far in a long and mediocre career this is a terrible signing.

I think people are right to have reservations. The ‘competitive’ budget baloney from Ken was obviously what we all expected. He isn’t the striker we were all hoping for - it’s a short term, British stopgap (our scouting team is non-existent).

He’ll be out only striker judging from Val’s comments, too.

However, I do think he’ll do well in our system and style and endear himself to the fan base with his hard work.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 06:38:51 PM »
Give the bloke a chance. This set up may suit him and us.

It will, but that isn’t people’s problem with the signing.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 06:38:56 PM »
QPR and Preston fans seem to love him. Works hard and is physical. If he can lead the line and bring the best out of Grant/Grady/CR7 then great.

Goals aren’t everything for a striker in the modern game. If he gets 12-15, makes us a better team and brings out the best of those around him then I’m all for it.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »
I'll go against the grain and say he's a very shrewd signing. Very liked everywhere he's been, I'm not at all convinced Dike is a more talented player than him and this represents much better value. He's a Kevin Davies type who fits Ismael very well, he's not going to bag 25 goals a season but I imagine he'll notch a few, particularly with our strength on set pieces. Much better player than Zohore and HRK before him.

Now we need to focus on getting a central midfield of good quality, James Garner on loan would have been excellent. If we don't have money perhaps someone like Tommy Doyle will be available for loan.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 06:48:57 PM by Dan »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 06:43:33 PM »
Welcome Jordan. Do your best giving 100% at all times, and you will hear no complaints from me. This is a great club and you are priviledged to have the opportunity to be watched by some of footballs most loyal supporters.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2021, 06:47:36 PM »
Not glamorous but, if he fits the bill, could be very astute.
Definitely gives us a different option