Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 471775 times)

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #2575 on: July 24, 2022, 08:29:28 PM »
Worry not, he will be leading the team out at Boro

It was quoted that he was ill  yesterday hence no involvement

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2576 on: July 24, 2022, 10:37:43 PM »
It was quoted that he was ill  yesterday hence no involvement

How convenient, he must have same bug that Robinson has got.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2577 on: July 24, 2022, 10:40:39 PM »
Didn't feature at all yesterday, and that is without Yokuslu being available. Bartley captain. GREGMT, your dream is finally coming true, Bruce has binned Livermore off. Albeit no sign of any other club being interested in signing him.

Not been binned off at all. Wait and see.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2578 on: July 25, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »
It's a long winter, and he will still be needed to do a job even if he isn't a regular starter.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2579 on: July 25, 2022, 09:06:40 PM »
It's a long winter, and he will still be needed to do a job even if he isn't a regular starter.
Is it though, there’s a break because of the World Cup..
And I can’t see the club keeping him just to sell gloves?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2580 on: July 26, 2022, 06:27:39 AM »
Is it though, there’s a break because of the World Cup..
And I can’t see the club keeping him just to sell gloves?

Although there have been links to other players I'd be surprised if we managed to offload Jake's wages and got an extra body in prior to the summer window closing.

The World Cup break starts November 12th and ends on December 10th. We then have another break in fixtures between January 1st and January 14th I believe.

Should Jake still be on the books come the closure of the January window we'll still have to play a total of 46 League games over the course of the domestic season.

Okay isn't match fit, Mowatt could suffer a setback, Molumby's inconsistent, we have no idea what Bruce's plans are for TGH and Jake possibly splits his shorts as often as he does opinion. While they don't all cover the same position or play the same role they're all midfield options.

Spoiler alert. This is going to come as bad news for some. In the likely event Jake's still here for the start of the season, and we can't offload him in January, it's more probable than not he still has a part to play. And it won't be for glove sales or to put the cones out.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2581 on: July 26, 2022, 08:12:15 AM »
Although there have been links to other players I'd be surprised if we managed to offload Jake's wages and got an extra body in prior to the summer window closing.

The World Cup break starts November 12th and ends on December 10th. We then have another break in fixtures between January 1st and January 14th I believe.

Should Jake still be on the books come the closure of the January window we'll still have to play a total of 46 League games over the course of the domestic season.

Okay isn't match fit, Mowatt could suffer a setback, Molumby's inconsistent, we have no idea what Bruce's plans are for TGH and Jake possibly splits his shorts as often as he does opinion. While they don't all cover the same position or play the same role they're all midfield options.

Spoiler alert. This is going to come as bad news for some. In the likely event Jake's still here for the start of the season, and we can't offload him in January, it's more probable than not he still has a part to play. And it won't be for glove sales or to put the cones out.

Completely agree. It also highlights our defensive weaknesses in the middle. Even with the fanfare around Livermore, I'd still be content with him as a sub/starter every now and then due to the length of the season.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2582 on: July 26, 2022, 08:15:50 AM »
No ones going to take JL off us. Not for the wages we are paying. He's here till the end.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2583 on: July 26, 2022, 08:16:58 AM »

Great post mate
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2584 on: July 26, 2022, 08:52:55 AM »

FA Cup 3rd round is on 7th Jan.

Totally agree that Livermore will have a role to play.
I'd expect to see him line up at Boro on Saturday and probably be starting until Okay is match fit.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2585 on: July 26, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »
The goods news is that they say Yokuslu has kept himself in decent condition. Hopefully see him (OY) on the bench for the Watford game

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2586 on: July 26, 2022, 12:41:34 PM »
The goods news is that they say Yokuslu has kept himself in decent condition. Hopefully see him (OY) on the bench for the Watford game

Yokuslu on one leg is a big upgrade on Livermore. I'm confident we will not see much of Jake this season, he will be left on the bench and reserves as he'd rather take what money he has left on his contract than sign elsewhere for a much reduced salary that is consistent with what he can offer.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2587 on: July 26, 2022, 12:49:02 PM »
Yokuslu on one leg is a big upgrade on Livermore. I'm confident we will not see much of Jake this season, he will be left on the bench and reserves as he'd rather take what money he has left on his contract than sign elsewhere for a much reduced salary that is consistent with what he can offer.

I think you might be right. JL has not got long left to play football. However he is within his rights to sit out  the stupid deal Dowling gave him.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2588 on: July 26, 2022, 10:07:23 PM »
I think you might be right. JL has not got long left to play football. However he is within his rights to sit out  the stupid deal Dowling gave him.

Livermore should be gone by now if our Managers from last season hadn't been stupid enough to give him 25 starts to trigger the one season extension.

He was a big reason why we never threatened the top 6 last season.   

Amongst the very worst midfielders within the Championship.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2589 on: July 26, 2022, 11:26:37 PM »
One of the main reasons for our decline . There’s enough competition in the midfield now for him to be a peripheral figure .

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2590 on: July 27, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »
Livermore should be gone by now if our Managers from last season hadn't been stupid enough to give him 25 starts to trigger the one season extension.

He was a big reason why we never threatened the top 6 last season.   

Amongst the very worst midfielders within the Championship.

We were in the top 6 until Bruce arrived in February. The whole team was under performing.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2591 on: July 27, 2022, 09:47:07 AM »
We were in the top 6 until Bruce arrived in February. The whole team was under performing.

Lowest number of goals scored in a championship season since when?

We couldn't create, that's why we never went up.  Ismael was focused on a rock solid defence and it worked for roughly 20 games.  When the dam burst, that was it. 

Livermore was excellent for roughly the first 8 games which contributed to a strong start.  But then it was evident he couldn't keep up with the energetic press.  It was at this point Mulumby and TGH should've taken over.  However, Livermore continued and we made it worse by then adding Reach to the midfield.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2592 on: July 27, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
Lowest number of goals scored in a championship season since when?

We couldn't create, that's why we never went up.  Ismael was focused on a rock solid defence and it worked for roughly 20 games.  When the dam burst, that was it. 

Livermore was excellent for roughly the first 8 games which contributed to a strong start.  But then it was evident he couldn't keep up with the energetic press.  It was at this point Mulumby and TGH should've taken over.  However, Livermore continued and we made it worse by then adding Reach to the midfield.

I agree that lack of goals/creativity was a big reason why we never went, which has more to do with full backs poor crossing, no forwards anticipating balls into the box, lack of creativity from all the midfield, poor finishing etc.

Molumby was like a headless chicken when he first came into the side. His discipline was as bad as Livermore's (1 less red, 1 more yellow). He didn't really contribute anything to our creativity.

TGH looked good but his lack of experience started to show in later games.

Agree about Reach in midfield though, he adds nothing.

The whole team stopped pressing, Livermore was one of the few players that tried to keep pressing.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2593 on: July 27, 2022, 10:22:20 AM »
I agree that lack of goals/creativity was a big reason why we never went, which has more to do with full backs poor crossing, no forwards anticipating balls into the box, lack of creativity from all the midfield, poor finishing etc.

Molumby was like a headless chicken when he first came into the side. His discipline was as bad as Livermore's (1 less red, 1 more yellow). He didn't really contribute anything to our creativity.

TGH looked good but his lack of experience started to show in later games.

Agree about Reach in midfield though, he adds nothing.

The whole team stopped pressing, Livermore was one of the few players that tried to keep pressing.

Livermore cost £11m and was supposed to be a heavy weight signing for us.  He has never been convincing, not even in the Championship.  He doesn't look accomplished and when you add in lack of mobility.

TGH and Molumby are kids still finding their feet.  However, Molumby is a full Rep of Ireland international.  I do think there development was stunted by the likes of Livermore and Reach.

Livermore for this upcoming season is just bleeding the club on wages for no return.  And people turn their anger on Johnstone and Robinson.  I just find it bizarre.  Robinson has been a good player for us and a fantastic swap for the ineffective Burke.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2594 on: July 27, 2022, 10:29:04 AM »
Jake is going to be "in the frame" all season mate. Are you going to carry on your tirade of abuse for another bloody season?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2595 on: July 27, 2022, 10:51:38 AM »
I agree that lack of goals/creativity was a big reason why we never went, which has more to do with full backs poor crossing, no forwards anticipating balls into the box,

How many times did I bang on about that last season? The number of times we put balls dangerous balls across the area was ridiculous. I remember there were somewhere around 15 or 16 before Val even left. Good forwards and we would've got half a dozen goals from them alone, easily.

Now, contrast that with the friendly against Hertha. Two crosses from wide were converted by two NEW additions in Swift and Dike. Is that a co-incidence? I don't think so.

The first one Grady beats a man then crosses first time, the second one Wallace crosses first time. Because of this forwards know how to time their run. If it were Matt Phillips instead of Wallace he'd have fainted to cross, come back on his left foot, fainted again before probably crossing with his right foot. That's no good but he does it all the time. Defenders can set themselves and forwards can't time a run if they don't know the ball is coming in.

It's a two way thing, delivery has to be good and it has to be early but you need forwards that have the quality and instinct to make the right runs at the right times. We didn't have that last season.

The fact that Livermore or Molumby for that matter gets criticised for lack of creativity is mind boggling because that's not what either player is in the team to do. We just got so desperate last season because no one was doing it.

You can criticise Livermore for his lack of mobility or his poor disciplinary record, that's understandable but when he gets criticised at the same time as criticising about lack of creativity it's sort of a redundant argument.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 10:53:31 AM by Atomic »

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2596 on: July 27, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »
"in the frame", is JL taking up Snooker?

I'm amazed people continue to ignore JL's deficiencies and give him a free pass 'because he's a nice guy.

WBA's promotion aspirations are directly linked to player quality.  Why do you think Bruce has signed Yokuslu, Swift and Wallace all for midfield?  Maybe Bruce agrees with me in what we saw from last season's midfield? 

If Livermore put his career first he'd be off to another club immediately to get regular playing time.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2597 on: July 27, 2022, 10:57:48 AM »
How many times did I bang on about that last season? The number of times we put balls dangerous balls across the area was ridiculous. I remember there were somewhere around 15 or 16 before Val even left. Good forwards and we would've got half a dozen goals from them alone, easily.

Now, contrast that with the friendly against Hertha. Two crosses from wide were converted by two NEW additions in Swift and Dike. Is that a co-incidence? I don't think so.

The first one Grady beats a man then crosses first time, the second one Wallace crosses first time. Because of this forwards know how to time their run. If it were Matt Phillips instead of Wallace he'd have fainted to cross, come back on his left foot, fainted again before probably crossing with his right foot. That's no good but he does it all the time. Defenders can set themselves and forwards can't time a run if they don't know the ball is coming in.

It's a two way thing, delivery has to be good and it has to be early but you need forwards that have the quality and instinct to make the right runs at the right times. We didn't have that last season.

The fact that Livermore or Molumby for that matter gets criticised for lack of creativity is mind boggling because that's not what either player is in the team to do. We just got so desperate last season because no one was doing it.

You can criticise Livermore for his lack of mobility or his poor disciplinary record, that's understandable but when he gets criticised at the same time as criticising about lack of creativity it's sort of a redundant argument.

You are blaming wingers for last season's lack of creativity?

In previous promotion campaigns we've had the likes of Koren, Greening, Koumas, Texeira, Pereira all creating from central positions.

For £11m and with a Premier League pedigree, you'd expect even just a small amount of vision and flair.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2598 on: July 27, 2022, 10:59:55 AM »
"in the frame", is JL taking up Snooker?

I'm amazed people continue to ignore JL's deficiencies and give him a free pass 'because he's a nice guy.

WBA's promotion aspirations are directly linked to player quality.  Why do you think Bruce has signed Yokuslu, Swift and Wallace all for midfield?  Maybe Bruce agrees with me in what we saw from last season's midfield? 

If Livermore put his career first he'd be off to another club immediately to get regular playing time.

His career is almost over, he's played in the PL, he's played for England he almost certainly won't be looking to better himself now.

It's not his fault Dowling came him the contract he did. JL is perfectly entitled to honour it.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2599 on: July 27, 2022, 11:00:06 AM »
If we pidgeon-hole Livermore as defensive midfield, then Molumby is a better play at doing that anyway.

Net result is Livermore is not required at WBA.