Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 471821 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #2075 on: January 19, 2022, 12:40:51 PM »
This is down to Ismael.  The 1 year extension is only triggered by a set no. of appearances.

Livermore is obviously "a big cheese" within the club.

Fair play, Allardyce stood up to him last season.  Maybe a lack of ambition, and retaining the likes of Livermore, dissuaded Allardyce from re-signing last Summer?

There are a number of midfielders better than Livermore at the club, but Ismael can't see it.

Hasn't Ismael said that if he's fit he plays?

And you know this how?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2076 on: January 19, 2022, 12:42:59 PM »
And you know this how?

He read it in the express and dingle article

But the Express & Star understands Livermore has triggered a 12-month extension – which was activated after he made a set number of appearances
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2077 on: January 19, 2022, 12:43:40 PM »
He read it in the express and dingle article

But the Express & Star understands Livermore has triggered a 12-month extension – which was activated after he made a set number of appearances

Fair enough. That's a shame.

He/him

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2078 on: January 19, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »
This is down to Ismael.  The 1 year extension is only triggered by a set no. of appearances.

Fair play, Allardyce stood up to him last season.  Maybe a lack of ambition, and retaining the likes of Livermore, dissuaded Allardyce from re-signing last Summer?

There are a number of midfielders better than Livermore at the club, but Ismael can't see it.

I find this to be disingenuous it states in the paper Livermore passed the set number of games months ago blaming this on VI is really streching it.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2079 on: January 19, 2022, 01:02:37 PM »
I find this to be disingenuous it states in the paper Livermore passed the set number of games months ago blaming this on VI is really streching it.

Ismael has been picking Livermore since August 2021,  no one else's fault is it?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2080 on: January 19, 2022, 01:19:27 PM »
Ismael has been picking Livermore since August 2021,  no one else's fault is it?
So you're a new manager at a club and you decide in the first week you won't be picking the captain anymore?
Also due to injuries and suspensions, you still wouldn't use him and play someone else am I understanding you correctly?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2081 on: January 19, 2022, 01:26:13 PM »
Apparently, it's a clause in his contract that's automatically triggered based on number of appearances, which he passed some time ago.
Must be a slow news day.

Thats exactly what it is. So the comments such as 'terrible decision' are inaccurate. It was part of his last deal. As someone has posted, it could be a way to ensure we at least get some money if and when he leaves.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2082 on: January 19, 2022, 01:29:50 PM »
So you're a new manager at a club and you decide in the first week you won't be picking the captain anymore?
Also due to injuries and suspensions, you still wouldn't use him and play someone else am I understanding you correctly?

I think that is exactly what he is saying.

The papers say he triggered it a while ago, so its likely the clause only required 10 or 15 appearances. Even with all of Livermore's limitations, I find it hard to imagine he wouldnt have hit that under the majority of managers. Can't see how anyone can blame VI for this, unless they are now completely blinded in their dislike of him.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2083 on: January 19, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »

Captain is of little relevance, plenty of other senior players could do it.

Apart from starting the season, to allow Molumby to settle into the club, is there any good reason why he should have started 90% of the games?  This has triggered the clause.

Absolute no way do we need him in midfield next season. 

I'm not averse to him playing centre back, but there are multiple options better than him in that position, where we are well blessed.

Allardyce didn't select him, why was he re-integorated?

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2084 on: January 19, 2022, 01:30:03 PM »

Nothing whatsoever to do with the manager. Let's at least read the information. Triggered by Jake having made the agreed number of appearances.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2085 on: January 19, 2022, 01:32:55 PM »
Nothing whatsoever to do with the manager. Let's at least read the information. Triggered by Jake having made the agreed number of appearances.

I didn't realise Livermore was fully part of team selection for matchday?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2086 on: January 19, 2022, 01:37:54 PM »

he did, and then he clarified the statement by saying something like "if fit and showing in training that he is worthy of a spot"...same as every other player.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2087 on: January 19, 2022, 01:38:47 PM »
Shows a lack of long term ambition. The lack of creativity on midfield, is to my mind, the team's biggest problem at the minute. We should be looking for our next midfielder. Mulumby is really just a younger version. How does Ian Pearce spend his time?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2088 on: January 19, 2022, 01:42:16 PM »

Apart from starting the season, to allow Molumby to settle into the club, is there any good reason why he should have started 90% of the games?  This has triggered the clause.

I'm not averse to him playing centre back, but there are multiple options better than him in that position, where we are well blessed.

We don't know how many games it took to trigger the clause but the question i'm asking is would you have stopped playing him period?
Mulumby for instance has 15 appearances under his belt so to avoid the clause let's assume he wouldn't have played this season but someone would have had to.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2089 on: January 19, 2022, 01:48:21 PM »
Thats exactly what it is. So the comments such as 'terrible decision' are inaccurate. It was part of his last deal. As someone has posted, it could be a way to ensure we at least get some money if and when he leaves.

I can't remember if it was on this forum, or I saw it somewhere else, but there was an article recently about the difference between playing sport at elite level & say, semi-professional.

Almost all professional sport is like an iceberg, what you see on the playing field is only the tip of the huge mechanism that goes on to support it.

The owners of WBAFC have a policy to develop young players, with a view to capability for elite level football.
The main legacy of Dan Ashworth was the establishment of the mechanism for our academy.

Even if a first team player's capacity is diminished, doesn't it make sense to retain his services as a mentor for younger players both on & off the pitch?

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2090 on: January 19, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
I’m not Livermore’s biggest fan & admit he’s a extremely limited footballer with the ball at his feet and has been part of the furniture in the gradual decline from been a established Premier League team to what will most likely be a mid-table championship team. However I do think he’s the scape goat at the moment he’s actually been fairly solid this season. I can think of many others in the team that deserve the pelters Livermore gets. I’d say he’s probably the fittest of them out there he goes for 95 minutes & has been involved in some big moments late on in games (nicking the ball of the QPR lad at home for the winner)

For this division he’s absolutely fine for another year, I’d like to see him eventually be phased out for Mulumby or given a chance at CB. If we somehow miraculously go up then he needs to be moved on.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2091 on: January 19, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »

IMO Allardyce wanted to buy a team, VI is happy to try to build one.

I suspect Allardyce knew about the clause & dropped Livermore, so he could use his wages to bring somebody else in.
Very much short term thinking.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2092 on: January 19, 2022, 02:06:48 PM »

I suspect Allardyce knew about the clause & dropped Livermore, so he could use his wages to bring somebody else in.

Big Sam was never going to stay on so I guess he wasn’t fussed about any clause. I suspect he dropped Livermore as he’s a poor footballer and needed upgrading.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2093 on: January 19, 2022, 02:11:30 PM »
Big Sam was never going to stay on so I guess he wasn’t fussed about any clause. I suspect he dropped Livermore as he’s a poor footballer and needed upgrading.
Last season we had options in midfield very different from this season not really comparable.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2094 on: January 19, 2022, 02:12:18 PM »
I’m not Livermore’s biggest fan & admit he’s a extremely limited footballer with the ball at his feet and has been part of the furniture in the gradual decline from been a established Premier League team to what will most likely be a mid-table championship team. However I do think he’s the scape goat at the moment he’s actually been fairly solid this season. I can think of many others in the team that deserve the pelters Livermore gets. I’d say he’s probably the fittest of them out there he goes for 95 minutes & has been involved in some big moments late on in games (nicking the ball of the QPR lad at home for the winner)

For this division he’s absolutely fine for another year, I’d like to see him eventually be phased out for Mulumby or given a chance at CB. If we somehow miraculously go up then he needs to be moved on.

I disagree with you, as I don't think Livermore would make the midfield of any other Championship team.  Livermore is 6th in terms of the most league minutes for a WBA player (above Mowatt).

We have scored 6 goals in the last 12 league matches. 

He has delivered 1 assist / 0 goals all season.

Are level is now of a bottom half Championship team.  He needs moving on and fast (along with others).

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2095 on: January 19, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »
Last season we had options in midfield very different from this season not really comparable.

We only had options after we’d bought in Maitland Niles and Yokuslu. Sam identified midfield as a weakness and sorted it out straight away. Both should have been replaced in the summer but Val is obviously a big fan of JL.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2096 on: January 19, 2022, 03:11:01 PM »

The clause wouldn't have bothered Allardyce in the slightest.

He was clear he wanted a better player and he went and got one in Yokuslu.

Just like he did with Sawyers, Diangana and co.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2097 on: January 19, 2022, 04:06:44 PM »
The clause wouldn't have bothered Allardyce in the slightest.

He was clear he wanted a better player and he went and got one in Yokuslu.

Just like he did with Sawyers, Diangana and co.
It's what we need right now, someone with the experience and nous to look at what's going wrong and address it.
Allardyce is known as a negative manager, with a set way of playing, yet I would guess he has played every formation known to man at some point in his career. Like him or loathe him, he is a clever football man and is never slow to adapt or change if things aren't working.

Maybe in a few years Val will have learned and developed but, at the minute, his inflexibility and one track focus on his system, is making him look incredibly naive and a bit foolish.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2098 on: January 19, 2022, 04:34:40 PM »
I didn't realise Livermore was fully part of team selection for matchday?

Blimey, you really do have an issue with him dont you? You raved about Molumby a few months ago. The more we see of him the less I like personally. Yes Jake should be moved on but, as already stated elsewhere, he  is not alone and at least gives a damn about the club. I wish this could be said of all of the squad.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2099 on: January 19, 2022, 04:35:28 PM »

You know, I'm beginning to get the impression you're not very keen on Jake Livermore and Valerian Ismael being part of the fixtures and fittings at West Bromwich Albion.

I'm normally quite sensitive of people's feelings towards players and staff but this has completely passed me by up until now. I'm a little surprised I didn't notice sooner in all honesty...........  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.