Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 471724 times)

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #925 on: August 20, 2018, 12:31:28 PM »
For me he is serviceable in this league however i didn't think he was great in the first half, only when the game became open and
 they became disjointed did he stamp his authority on it, from what I saw. First half neither he or Brunty were confident enough to turn on the ball with the intention of trying to break the lines and find Barnes, having said that they weren't helped by the balls into them from the back 3 not being great.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #926 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
Eze looked to be QPRs best, probing, attacking player the previous week.  He hardly saw the ball on Saturday and, to a great degree, that was due to Livermore buzzing around centre midfield.  Thought he's really uped his game.  Now for consistently playing at that level.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #927 on: August 20, 2018, 06:57:19 PM »
Clearly seen as a senior player in the squad. He’s made the front row in the team picture along with Morrison, Barry, Brunt and the coaching staff.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #928 on: August 20, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
He played really well Saturday, broke up play and put us on the front foot a few times, bust a gut to get into the box at times too.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #929 on: September 01, 2018, 06:40:38 PM »
Man of the match today in my opinion. Really bossed the midfield and was excellent forward and defensively

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #930 on: September 01, 2018, 06:41:15 PM »
Superb today. That pass - what a pass.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #931 on: September 01, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »
Superb today. That pass - what a pass.

Got around the pitch as well today like a true box to box midfielder. Maybe needs the atmosphere and encouragement?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #932 on: September 01, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
He also made another perfect through ball for Barnes that produced a brilliant save from Butland.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #933 on: September 01, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
Got to say i haven't been his biggest fan over the last season, but hes winning me over with his attitude and commitment now. He was my MOTM today, bossed the midfield and that pass to Gayle was sublime. If that was De Bruyne itd be all over the sports media tonight. Keep it up Jake.

I'd go with him as MOM as well, just needs a smack on the back of the legs for that daft handball
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:29:39 PM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #934 on: September 01, 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
Credit it where it’s due, a great performance today and not his first positive performance of the season. My opinion on him is turning.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #935 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »
I really slated him about a month back and I haven't rated him for most of his Albion career, but lately he seems more positive which is paying off. I don't know if it's because he's getting the Pulis side of his game removed, but slowly he seems to be hitting better forward passes which is good to see.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #936 on: September 01, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
Better players making better runs in front of him.  Watch what happens when Barnes and Gayle aren't on the pitch, without them there's very little movement centrally in front of him so ends up having to go sideways and backwards.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #937 on: September 01, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »
Superb game today Jake. More of the same please.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #938 on: September 01, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »
Always remember his debut against stoke when he signed for us and he looked like the missing link in the middle. That seemed to disappear last year but he seems to have found some form again.

Happy for the lad.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #939 on: September 01, 2018, 09:36:35 PM »
Is the improvement Symptomatic of decent coaching ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #940 on: September 01, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »

Our freedom given to him, even. :-\

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #941 on: September 01, 2018, 11:54:44 PM »
Best player on the pitch today despite the stupid handball. Absolutely dominated the midfield and his two through balls were sublime. Keep it up, Jake!

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #942 on: September 03, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
Thought he was terrible last season and added nothing. This season however I doth my cap to him. Been class, the lad.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #943 on: September 03, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »
Or maybe just less coaching, he looks like he's actually enjoying himself PLAYING FOOTBALL

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #944 on: September 03, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
The majority of the ‘improvement’ will be the fact the level is drastically lower and we are now one of the better sides in the league. Not sure if we stepped back up you’d actually see much of a difference to be honest.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #945 on: September 04, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Was useless for us in prem but have to give lad a lot of credit this season easily our best midfielder even though he's covering for Brunt as well.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #946 on: September 04, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
Useless you say,picked for England though.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #947 on: September 05, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
We can be fairly certain that in his late 20's Livermore has not improved technically as a player.

As some have already pointed out we are playing at a lower level but that is only half the story. The major change is the team passes and moves. Any player with even a modicum of technical ability will look a lot better in a team that plays a bit of football. Under Pulis and Pardew there was so little movement and virtually no passing options whoever played central mid was reduced to a worker drone just chasing the ball. When Livermore joined us from Hull (who lest we forget were terrible) his pass completion rate dropped by 5 percentage points that is how bad we passed the ball under Pulis.

Taking a look at the goal on Saturday neatly summarises the difference in approach. The move starts on the Albion right around the halfway line. Livermore takes a pass from Rodriguez is under pressure from Woods he knocks the ball back to Phillips in the right back position and Woods follows it to close down Phillips, who returns it Livermore. Now in space and half turned with McClean coming into the picture to close him down Livermore looks up and launches the pass to Gayle who scores.

This would not have happened under Pulis. Simply at the point the ball goes back to Phillips who is under a bit of pressure the ball would have been sent down the channel to Rodriguez who is marked by Peters and Martins-Indi. Livermore does not show for the ball because he knows it isn't coming. Secondly if we are playing with a lone unsupported forward Rodriguez might be the only forward pass even if the ball does arrive at Livermore's feet.

The difference in the Premier League on that particular move is a better player than McClean might have been more aware of the situation and got out to Livermore quicker or in a high pressing side Peters would not have jogged back to pick up an already marked Rodriguez and stayed closer to Woods who was chasing the ball down.

The bigger difference I honestly think is the way we are playing under Moore.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #948 on: September 05, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »
We can be fairly certain that in his late 20's Livermore has not improved technically as a player.

As some have already pointed out we are playing at a lower level but that is only half the story. The major change is the team passes and moves. Any player with even a modicum of technical ability will look a lot better in a team that plays a bit of football. Under Pulis and Pardew there was so little movement and virtually no passing options whoever played central mid was reduced to a worker drone just chasing the ball. When Livermore joined us from Hull (who lest we forget were terrible) his pass completion rate dropped by 5 percentage points that is how bad we passed the ball under Pulis.

Taking a look at the goal on Saturday neatly summarises the difference in approach. The move starts on the Albion right around the halfway line. Livermore takes a pass from Rodriguez is under pressure from Woods he knocks the ball back to Phillips in the right back position and Woods follows it to close down Phillips, who returns it Livermore. Now in space and half turned with McClean coming into the picture to close him down Livermore looks up and launches the pass to Gayle who scores.

This would not have happened under Pulis. Simply at the point the ball goes back to Phillips who is under a bit of pressure the ball would have been sent down the channel to Rodriguez who is marked by Peters and Martins-Indi. Livermore does not show for the ball because he knows it isn't coming. Secondly if we are playing with a lone unsupported forward Rodriguez might be the only forward pass even if the ball does arrive at Livermore's feet.

The difference in the Premier League on that particular move is a better player than McClean might have been more aware of the situation and got out to Livermore quicker or in a high pressing side Peters would not have jogged back to pick up an already marked Rodriguez and stayed closer to Woods who was chasing the ball down.

The bigger difference I honestly think is the way we are playing under Moore.

Spot on. I lost count the amount of times on Saturday that our players picked the ball up in space. Some of that is down to the opposition and the way they set up but a lot of it is the movement you mentioned and the way we are playing. We are passing the ball but not just for the sake of it we are passing with a purpose and are passing forwards because we have the option to do so. You can't do it all the time but at times you can. Look at the first goal, that came from our penalty area, forward passes and movement. Gibbs who last season wouldn't have, on this occasion drove in field, Gayle initially came deep and wide left before moving again into the left side of the centre forward position. None of that happens last season. Rondon would've remained static and ending up scrapping for the ball with his marker (had the ball come his way) and because of that Gibbs would've stayed wide and most probably have checked back and played a square ball, had he been that far forward in the first place.

The Harvey Barnes missed chance at the end of the first half sums it up. Livermore with a forward pass to a midfielder running on beyond the front two. When did that ever happen last season?

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #949 on: December 14, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
Jake Livermore has signed a new deal until 2022. I personally am not over the moon with this and an a little surprised as his deal already ran until 2021 I believe.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2018/december/livermore-commits-to-hawthorns-future/