Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 471716 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
Think Hull will seriously struggle now. Welcome to the club Jake

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
Please view this interview guys .......
Fantastic insight into the problems Jake had regarding the death of his son, drugs etc ...

https://t.co/cVnpd9GGK3

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2017, 11:31:34 PM »
Fantastic insight into the problems Jake had regarding the death of his son, drugs etc ...

Very honest and emotional interview.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #303 on: January 21, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
To all of you not keen on Jake take a read
West Brom's £10m capture of Jake Livermore has already been laughed off, but it's a better signing than you might think...
Jake Livermore is the newest face in the West Bromwich Albion squad after a £10million transfer from Hull City but before the new Albion signing has even kicked a ball, social media has berated the Baggies signing, but the Hawthorns faithful need not listen to the negativity surrounding the ex-Spurs midfielder as he’s a perfect fit at the Albion and here’s why…

Risk-free investment
£10 million is no longer a significant sum of money in modern football, especially considering the transfer chest the new West Brom owner Guochan Lai has offered to the Albion. The club are still living under their reputation as a conservative and stringy operator in the transfer market because of the previous Chairman Jeremy Peace and his shrewd spending style, yet surely this signing provides evidence that West Brom are willing to spend in order to achieve a top half finish.

I must admit, I heard less commotion over the reported £15 million transfer of unproven Nigerian defensive midfielder Wilfred Ndidi to Leicester, than I have about Jake Livermore’s signing. If anything £10 million for a player considered a pivotal figure for a rival Premier League club fighting relegation, in a position which desperately needs strengthening at your own club seems a very fair price indeed. Frankly, you would be hard pushed to find a player that is more suitable for West Bromwich Albion than Jake Livermore.

A perfect ‘Pulis player’
When I hear the phrase ‘Pulis player’ my mind drifts to players such as Robert Huth, Scott Dann and Peter Crouch – tall players with aerial prowess who will aggressively attack a set-piece and nod it home from six yards. Standing at 5”11, Livermore doesn’t exactly fit the bill in that regard. But if you strip back the Pulis preconceptions, he is everything his manager could ask for.

This season Pulis has carefully implemented a counter attacking approach for the Baggies, he expects tenacity, energy and commitment from his squad and I’m sure if you asked any Hull City fan and they would tell you that Livermore has all these attributes in abundance.

The few occasions I have seen Livermore this year, he has sat deep as a holding midfielder looking to break up play whilst also offering incisive late runs in the final third, exactly the kind of player Pulis loves to work with. The natural box-to-box style to Livermore’s game ensures that West Brom fans can get used to watching another tireless midfielder in an Albion jersey this year.

Versatility
But there’s more to the once-capped England international than just work rate, in fact, he currently holds a remarkable accolade. He is 20th on the Premier League passing charts this term, which places him above household playmakers such as Juan Mata, Adam Lallana and Dele Alli.

Evidently, he has a sound technical side to his game even if the passes are short and simple. This statistic showcases Livermore’s composure on the ball in the middle of park, a gift for Pulis whose side have been liable to giving the ball away cheaply in midfield which is disastrous in a counter attack system. It seems the new signing may have a larger bearing on the success of their tactic than initially suspected.

The versatility of Livermore adds an extra string to his bow which will no doubt get the heels of Pulis’ trademark sneakers kicking. At the beginning of the campaign Livermore filled in at centre half for Mike Phelan’s threadbare Hull City side and the 27-year old impressed many with his ability to read the game. He kept a clean sheet in only his second game starting at centre back in August and Hull have not restricted their opponents from scoring in the league since.

Now, I expect the new Albion no.8 to play in midfield as competition for Claudio Yacob and Darren Fletcher considering Craig Gardner departed the club to return to his boyhood club Birmingham City. However, the fact that he has top flight experience in central midfield, holding midfield and as a centre back provides an extra option for Pulis in what is a shallow squad.

A good signing
Jake Livermore is a very smart signing for the West Midlands outfit, yes, he’s not Morgan Schneiderlin, nor are they paying a premium fee for a player of Schneiderlin’s ilk. £10 million is not a financial risk and even if it was Livermore is a safe bet. He has overcome extremely difficult personal circumstances involving drugs and family loss and I am sure if he can fight through that, he can shrug off talk of a slightly inflated price tag.

He is a mentally resilient player who has notched up 128 Premier League appearances as he enters his physical prime. His work rate, athleticism and defensive capabilities will stand him in good stead at West Brom if he can produce the technical side of his game that he showcased at Hull. His addition to the squad at Albion makes them look a lot stronger as a midfield unit for years to come. Mentally tough, physically impressive and technically proficient; West Brom look to have secured themselves a really useful player.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #304 on: January 21, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
Welcome to the club Jake, shrewd bit of business.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #305 on: January 21, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
Thanks for that informative write up wba13.
Welcome to the Club Jake
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

Lego

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #306 on: January 21, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »

Very honest interview, admits he made a mistake and needed help. Taking a real liking to this guy, all the best with your Albion career Jake.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #307 on: January 21, 2017, 03:30:01 PM »
On the bench today. Imagine he'll be introduced in the second half

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #308 on: January 21, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
Done fine when he came on,will fit in well and bag a few goals imo

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #309 on: January 21, 2017, 07:13:18 PM »
Unlucky not to bury that pull back from McClean. Gets into good positions and looks comfortable on the ball

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #310 on: January 21, 2017, 09:06:05 PM »
Looks like he wants to move off the ball a bit, good addition.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »
Unfortunate about Yacob but I did think Livermore was pretty impressive today. Clearly more of an engine and more pace than Yacob or Fletcher, comfortable on the ball also.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
Unfortunate about Yacob but I did think Livermore was pretty impressive today. Clearly more of an engine and more pace than Yacob or Fletcher, comfortable on the ball also.

It will leaves TP with a good headache when Yacob recoves.

saml30

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #313 on: February 04, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
can't believe more hasn't been made of his performance, he was absolutely immense, he was everywhere, just needs to fins his shooting boots!
Blue and White Barmy Army !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #314 on: February 04, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
What's unfortunate is that we need to wait for an injury or suspension to see Yacob alongside Livermore in our best midfield 2.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
can't believe more hasn't been made of his performance, he was absolutely immense, he was everywhere, just needs to fins his shooting boots!

He had a great debut very impressed with him, just type of player we were lacking.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
What's unfortunate is that we need to wait for an injury or suspension to see Yacob alongside Livermore in our best midfield 2.

I don't know if yacob and livermore will be better than todays two. I think Fletcher's passing is better than Yacob's and fletcher is also more forward thinking. Dont get me wrong, Fletchers distribution should be bettee but Yacob tends to play the balls sideways or back. 

I love Yacob but his game is breaking up the opposition so i think against top teams him and livermore would be a good choice but in games we want to control i think Fletcher and livermore

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2017, 10:07:23 PM »
Livermore's passing, pace and athleticism is better than Fletchers, Yacob's tackling, blocking, interceptions and industry is better than Fletchers.

Just my opinion of course.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2017, 10:17:32 PM »
Livermore and Yacob are our best midfield pairing, I think they'd complement each other well.

As long as Fletcher keep his recent form up then its a good selection headache to have. Although, he did do his usual trick of misplacing a simple pass in their half and not being able to get back to stop the counter a couple times today.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2017, 10:20:57 PM »
Livermore's passing, pace and athleticism is better than Fletchers, Yacob's tackling, blocking, interceptions and industry is better than Fletchers.

Just my opinion of course.

I totally agree with you on that

I think Fletcher will be hard to drop for Pulis though

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2017, 11:00:27 PM »
This guy can pass a footbll, just what we need in midfield. Tough pick 2 from 3 but weve never had quality like this in the prem before. Keep progressing Albion.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »
He is what I thought he would be- a good all round midfielder. Good start.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »
On the stream I was watching in the first-half I thought he looked very useful. Was able to pass the ball forward and accurately. Will be a headache for TP who to select in this position.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2017, 12:41:01 AM »
On the stream I was watching in the first-half I thought he looked very useful. Was able to pass the ball forward and accurately. Will be a headache for TP who to select in this position.
I totally agree with you on that

I think Fletcher will be hard to drop for Pulis though

There's some truth in this but Fletcher got the team through the game today. I'm not his biggest fan and I believe his game is on the slope, but his constant taking kept the team organised throughout the difficult later stages in the game.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
Brought two things to central midfield that we haven't had - mobility and creativity.

But he did both at pace.

I was very impressed by him. He covered the back 4 very well.

Felt more comfortable with him on the ball.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son