Author Topic: Jake Livermore  (Read 471721 times)

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jake Livermore
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:07 AM »
If were going for a Hull player, I'd be going for Snodgrass. A very influential player and very good goals record for a struggling team.

Agreed, could give us another option on the wing that can deliver a decent ball for when Brunt isn't playing.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2017, 08:22:24 AM »
If were going for a Hull player, I'd be going for Snodgrass. A very influential player and very good goals record for a struggling team.

To be honest with you if Hull really do want close to £15M for Livermore then they will want even more for Snodgrass as he has either scored or assisted in around 50% of their goals.

The problem with buying the better players from clubs in relegation trouble is that the selling club are always going to value that player at a level that reflects the importance of that player to the club. Livermore isn't worth £15M Hull know that but what they also know is they will pretty much be nailed on for relegation if they allow him to go (same with Snodgrass) so they are putting up a price which will allow them to get in a decent replacement. If they can keep Livermore they will have a better chance of staying up.

As I said in a previous post Livermore has an 85% pass completion rate only Morrison (84%), Chadli (82.5%) and Claudio Yacob (81%) are remotely close. Do we really want to turn our noses up at a midfielder with a better pass completion rate than any of our existing midfielders? (all stats from whoscored.com).

I'd have loved us to have got Schneiderlin but that was unlikely once Everton declared an interest and Fabian Delph could have been good too but it appears Man City don't want to sell him, so if we see CM as a position that needs strengthening then Livermore makes some sense.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »
I think over the years our fans have turned their noses up at players that have gone elsewhere and been a big success. It looks like Livermore will improve our midfield. Yes i would rather it was closer to 10 million but what Hull Baggie is saying is true - look at some of the money we have got back on bang average players over the years because we valued them and didn't want to sell them. I think the only thing we have in our favour is that Hull need to sell to buy (correct if wrong).

He's a good player. He's not as exciting as an exotic foreign name like Camacho or Carvalho but he is premier league experienced and in his prime which are two factors we just have to get used to with Pulis as manager.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
I think over the years our fans have turned their noses up at players that have gone elsewhere and been a big success. It looks like Livermore will improve our midfield. Yes i would rather it was closer to 10 million but what Hull Baggie is saying is true - look at some of the money we have got back on bang average players over the years because we valued them and didn't want to sell them. I think the only thing we have in our favour is that Hull need to sell to buy (correct if wrong).

He's a good player. He's not as exciting as an exotic foreign name like Camacho or Carvalho but he is premier league experienced and in his prime which are two factors we just have to get used to with Pulis as manager.

Who exactly are you referring to please?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2017, 09:59:35 AM »
Who exactly are you referring to please?

To be honest with you they could be tenuous links that have appeared here that some fans poo poo. Countless amounts over the years. An example; some criticised the Aaron Creswell link.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
The reason that Hull can get more Livermore than Snodgrass is the length of contract I think Hull triggered an extension of only 6 months on Snodgrass giving him a shorter shelf life than Livermore.I personally prefere Livermore great engine good passer and tackler Snodgrass is good but a luxury player

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
To be honest with you they could be tenuous links that have appeared here that some fans poo poo. Countless amounts over the years. An example; some criticised the Aaron Creswell link.

Is Cresswell really relevant though given the club weren't prepared to meet his asking price, thus meaning he wasn't really in the equation once bidding became serious and it mattered not one jot what supporters felt?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2017, 10:45:39 AM »
Is Cresswell really relevant though given the club weren't prepared to meet his asking price, thus meaning he wasn't really in the equation once bidding became serious and it mattered not one jot what supporters felt?

That's pretty much my point; it doesn't really matter what supporters think because we quite often get it wrong. Basically my point is; some are poo pooing this and some have poo pooed past links where the player has turned out to be decent. I'm trying to be reassuring is all.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
The reason that Hull can get more Livermore than Snodgrass is the length of contract I think Hull triggered an extension of only 6 months on Snodgrass giving him a shorter shelf life than Livermore.I personally prefere Livermore great engine good passer and tackler Snodgrass is good but a luxury player

A 'luxury' player is exactly the sort that we require to go along with our generally hard working squad. Make no mistake though, Snodgrass is a true Scot, he puts in a shift.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
That's pretty much my point; it doesn't really matter what supporters think because we quite often get it wrong. Basically my point is; some are poo pooing this and some have poo pooed past links where the player has turned out to be decent. I'm trying to be reassuring is all.

I think you're going to have to try an awful lot harder than that to reassure some of the members on this site chap  :P  ;) .

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »

They both had an extra year triggered by Hull as did Michael Dawson, Harry Maguire, Andy Robertson and someone else who's name escapes me..
 If Snodgrass went for less I would imagine it being more to do with his history of injuries than anything else.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
Decent post, but I disagree with a few points and find them a bit condescending.

1) I don't play football manager or use them to form my opinion of players
2) Not sure you have to have kicked a ball to form an opinion on the team
3) Agreed we all have differing ideas, but doesn't mean they are wrong just because we aren't 'skilled trained coaches'
4) I think the worry is if we start throwing money around carelessly and end up paying the price for it. I mean potentially breaking transfer records on players that some think are good replacements for our backup centre midfielder can't be sustainable in the long run - look at Portsmouth et al.
5) Of course we want to get the highest price for our players and pay the lowest for new ones.. Would you suggest giving players away for free and paying £50 million for every signing?
6) Haven't really seen any ITK info on this thread or others
7) I wouldn't consider him worth twice the amount as when he left Spurs, regardless of inflated prices
8) Agree there were some (rightful) doubts on some of the unknown signings. Some have gone on to prove themselves, some haven't, as is life.
9) We will never finish above 7th unless we change our mentality, starting with the fans. If we settle for mid table every year that's all we will ever be. I don't think it's a bad thing to dream or have ambitions.
10) Not sure that's true. Think the rumours are just discussed and debated. Heaven forbid this happens on a forum.

So I don't agree with most points, but that's just me. We're all entitled to an opinion and it's getting a bit boring seeing loads of posts in every thread slagging other people off for debating and sharing their opinion. I mean what has any of this got to do with Jake Livermore..

Spot on for the most part.

Whilst 'darby' and other such posters are sick of people looking beyond the veil when it comes to names we are linked with, the fees involved and general matters concerning the club, I am personally sick of people criticising those for questioning such issues.

I fail to see the problem, on a forum, with people debating the merits of any deal or any other club issue. Why does this place exist if not to express opinions? If we all blindly followed everything that anyone holding power did then what sort of a world would we live in? I would like to think we all have the best interests of the club at heart and express our opinions with that in mind, with my personal opinions often being that I do not want my club to be ripped off in the transfer market, which £15m on players like Livermore and Schlupp sadly would be.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
Spot on for the most part.

Whilst 'darby' and other such posters are sick of people looking beyond the veil when it comes to names we are linked with, the fees involved and general matters concerning the club, I am personally sick of people criticising those for questioning such issues.

I fail to see the problem, on a forum, with people debating the merits of any deal or any other club issue. Why does this place exist if not to express opinions? If we all blindly followed everything that anyone holding power did then what sort of a world would we live in? I would like to think we all have the best interests of the club at heart and express our opinions with that in mind, with my personal opinions often being that I do not want my club to be ripped off in the transfer market, which £15m on players like Livermore and Schlupp sadly would be.

One where we had no choice regarding whether we leave the EU or not.....  :P  :o  :P  :o  ;) .

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
Firstly MODS this is not an attack at any individual, but if people read this and feel a little aggreaved then maybe they need to reflect on my points.. :-[

I have been reading through this whole thread regarding Livermore and also some of the others regarding transfers and general play and the way the club is run.

it strikes me that there is the following problem with not just our fans but the new generation of football fans across England that means i make the following 10 observations...

1) a lot of these people play too much football manager and fifa and gain all their football knowledge from simulation games and use this to form an argument

2) i expect that the majority of the voices heard have never kicked a ball themselves outside of the school playground (i have to make this opinion when i read some of the so called tactical comments and starting line-ups people suggest)

3) fans seem to think that they are the only ones who are correct and are not willing to see the perspective of other or even skilled trained coaches who work and see these players everyday.

4) fans get angry as though a club is spending "their money"

5) Our fans seem to think it is OK for us to push the price of a player up but other clubs are not allowed to do it to us

6) when we do find out ITK info we are not satisfied until we have hounded and harassed the source to the point that they no longer wish to share information and ruin it for others.

7) £10m is only the new £5m when it suits your argument... ie now £15m is only the new £9m and considering spurs sold him to hull for £8m is that really too bad???? (PS he left THFC for first team premier league football rather than sit on the bench and collect his money .. that has to be a good thing, and looking at their midfield can you blame him)

8) if our fans don't like you as a player or you dont have a foreign sounding name we will slate you regardless and even before you kick a ball for us.... just as Gmac, Robson-Kanu and others who have had the same treatment.

9) Our have have delusions of grandeur is we think we are ever going to finish higher than 7th in the premier league.

10) Our fans seem to believe every snippet from every dodgy website then castigate the club for not signing a player that we may not have even been interested in signing..... but hey why not it a good chance to slag off our own club.....

it is because of this pure Bl00dy mindedness, plus lack of understanding and appreciation of what the club are trying to achieve in a structured organic manner that for the past 5 years i have sat in the stands watching the team i love and put my head phones in to listen to some station or other while the game is going on.... because that way i do not have to listen to the complete and utter tosh that some of our fans spout.......

FOR CRYING OUT LOAD  LADS... get behind our club, start appreciating what we currently have because believe me (and this is a message for the new generation) you dont know how good you have it compared to some of the rubbish i have had to watch over the years at  places like notts county and Chester away in the poring rain and getting tonked 5-0 away at grimsby.....

we are trying to build a SQUAD, not just a good 11, Jake Livermore is a decent pro, who will add to the team give the guy and the club a break you are starting to sound like villa and wolves fans... >:(
It's a fair enough post, but it's built on shaky foundations.  Who knows 'the way the club is run', or for what purpose?  Is it still run so that one man can walk away with the most amount of money possible?  Is everything geared up so Guochuan Lai can walk away with a profit on his £150m investment?  Or maybe take a smaller amount out every year?  Is it run as a rich man's toy or a chinese state toy?  Are they going to pump money in to raise the profile in China/globally?  Is the aim to make an annual 10% profit (as seemed to be Peace's strategy).  This would all educate us (generally) on transfer budgets and set our expectations - which sometimes do get unrealistic.

Peace's world of no publicly stated plan or strategy seems to have been taken to a new level.

Anyhow this is probably not the place to discuss it, so I'll stop.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
Sky just announced that Hull have turned down a 2nd offer from us.

Time to look abroad Tony.....

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
According to Sky we offered £8m.

West Ham's increased offer for Snodgrass was £6m

Would take them both for £18m!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »

snodgrass is worth double that of Livermore, west Ham taking the pee really. Livermore is worth no more than our second offer
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »

The first offer for Livermore was widely reported as £10M including in local paper up here and on Sky!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:58:50 PM by Hull Baggie »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
The first offer for Livermore was widely reported as £10M including in local paper up here.

I suspect £8m plus add-one

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
I suspect £8m plus add-one

But is that a second bid or the first bid? I've just had a look on Sky transfers page and can't find anything other than we bid £10m on Monday.

wba13

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
Looks like were downscaling second bid 2 million lower than the first according to the great  sky  :-[

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
I would hope our limit would be the £10m and we move on if they are not accepting that.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »
cant we swap him for Saido

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
cant we swap him for Saido

you know what, thats a good shout
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
But is that a second bid or the first bid? I've just had a look on Sky transfers page and can't find anything other than we bid £10m on Monday.

Read this on the Daily Star site earlier:

"Sky Sports say Hull have rejected West Brom's offer of £8m for midfielder Livermore".

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/579601/Robert-Snodgrass-Jake-Livermore-Hull-West-Ham-West-Brom-transfer-news

Didn't see a link to Sky, though in all honesty I have not gone out of my way to look.