Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 724375 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #3225 on: June 06, 2019, 02:05:30 PM »
Nor me chap.

Subtle humour Dan  - I got it ;D
MAGA!

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3226 on: June 06, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »
To be fair they are quite busy, they’re interviewing one every ten minutes at the moment.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3227 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
Subtle humour Dan  - I got it ;D

Think you may be talking to yourself matey!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3228 on: June 06, 2019, 02:29:01 PM »
Flores the latest name, the press are getting desperate they’ve nearly everyone covered now.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

mrmojorisin

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3229 on: June 06, 2019, 02:33:03 PM »
Don't despair - only another 104 to be interviewed.
Down to 103 now

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3230 on: June 06, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
I'm with you on that.
Providing they make the right appointment.
Problem is we all know it will be the cheapest appointment, unless they amaze us all!
But what is the right appointment? It won’t matter who it is, because our fanbase will be split with the decision. Just look at this thread and all the preconceived ideas of the names mentioned. We’ve got loose canons, safe hands, foreign idealists, ex-players, cheap options, etc. It could be same problem at board level. No strong headed individual standing up and making a decision. That could be the reason that it’s taking so long to make a decision. I don’t know. I know as much as the next person. Which is nothing. I do know this though. I’d hate to be the guy that has to make it.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3231 on: June 06, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
With the current vogue for German managers, I am sure the powers that be will be interviewing Markus Kay this week, reading an article about him on BBC Sport, I am sure he will tick a lot of boxes for the board, and his style of management in his last game will fit in perfectly with the dynamism of our board. :)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3232 on: June 06, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
Something fishy's going on.

I've got a funny feeling it's going to be a real left field outsider like Tommy Brown.

If so I hope he brings Billy with him, we've had our chips otherwise......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EvSZ5HQfI
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3233 on: June 06, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »
Round and round the bottle spins; where it stops nobody knows.  ;D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3234 on: June 06, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
Something fishy's going on.

I've got a funny feeling it's going to be a real left field outsider like Tommy Brown.

If so I hope he brings Billy with him, we've had our chips otherwise......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EvSZ5HQfI

He was particularly impressed when hearing that locals often caught a ‘whale” when fishing in the cut.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3235 on: June 06, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
I too am becoming a little bored with the proceedings but to play devils advocate, it's worth pointing out that since the play-off defeat on the 14th we haven't been looking for a new manager for much longer than both Middlesbrough and Swansea.

Albion - 23 days without manager
Middlesbrough - 21 days without manager
Swansea -  17 days without manager

In fact, Middlesbrough have been aware which division they were going to be in since the 5th of May, which is 31 days and they are still searching for their next boss.

In the meantime reports suggest the current leading contender for the Swansea job is apparently the England under 17 coach, I can't imagine their fans being any more happy with a strong link to someone so inexperienced than ours.

So we're certainly not the only Championship club operating a conservative approach in our managerial search.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3236 on: June 06, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »
I too am becoming a little bored with the proceedings but to play devils advocate, it's worth pointing out that since the play-off defeat on the 14th we haven't been looking for a new manager for much longer than both Middlesbrough and Swansea.

Albion - 23 days without manager
Middlesbrough - 21 days without manager
Swansea -  17 days without manager

In fact, Middlesbrough have been aware which division they were going to be in since the 5th of May, which is 31 days and they are still searching for their next boss.

In the meantime reports suggest the current leading contender for the Swansea job is apparently the England under 17 coach, I can't imagine their fans being any more happy with a strong link to someone so inexperienced than ours.

So we're certainly not the only Championship club operating a conservative approach in our managerial search.

Except they always said Shan was an interim manager... so we've been looking for a new manager since the 9th March (89 days ago).  OK, we may have known what division we'd be in, but prepare properly and have 2 lists ready to go.  There is nothing that illustrates the kind of manager they are looking for, or what criteria they are applying.  It's totally scattergun.  We have failed to prepare.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3237 on: June 06, 2019, 05:02:44 PM »
Except they always said Shan was an interim manager... so we've been looking for a new manager since the 9th March (89 days ago).  OK, we may have known what division we'd be in, but prepare properly and have 2 lists ready to go.  There is nothing that illustrates the kind of manager they are looking for, or what criteria they are applying.  It's totally scattergun.  We have failed to prepare.

And as the old saying goes if you fail to prepare then you're preparing to fail.

Personally, I don't see why managers aren't keen on it. Ok, money is likely to be the key issue, but this in an opportunity to build a squad from scratch and really put your own stamp on the club. The playing staff is literally bare bones, we're down to 17 players, but are still likely to lose Dawson, Gibbs, Jrod and possibly others.

And of course one of the other problems with taking time to appoint is available players. Wait too long and the best are snapped up. We'll be left with the HRK signings.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3238 on: June 06, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »
Why would we start looking for a head coach over two months after we sacked the last one?

Even a club run as laughably bad as West Brom has been in recent years wouldn’t be THAT insane and stupid*

*Laughs nervously
I imagine the managerial targets were dependant on what league were going to be in hence the search didn’t commence straight away.
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3239 on: June 06, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »
With the current vogue for German managers, I am sure the powers that be will be interviewing Markus Kay this week, reading an article about him on BBC Sport, I am sure he will tick a lot of boxes for the board, and his style of management in his last game will fit in perfectly with the dynamism of our board. :)

Well Mrs Merkle is standing down; we're just waiting that's all.

Personally I think that most of these next manager rumours are being put about by managers' agents and journos desperate to have something to write about.  Don't want to spread paranoia but it's possible some writing to this thread are spreading them as well.

Soz Angela, Frau Merkle that is.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 05:22:07 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3240 on: June 06, 2019, 05:24:04 PM »
Well Mrs Merkle is standing down; we're just waiting that's all.

Personally I think that most of these next manager rumours are being put about by managers' agents and journos desperate to have something to write about.  Don't want to spread paranoia but it's possible some writing to this thread are spreading them as well.

Soz Angela, Frau Merkle that is.

You may not be too far away from the truth mate!

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3241 on: June 06, 2019, 05:30:52 PM »
Had Nigel Cloughs name suggested to me today I nearly choked on my sandwich.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3242 on: June 06, 2019, 06:29:21 PM »
Heard from someone that works at the training ground that Slavan was there today.

Not sure how reliable the information is.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3243 on: June 06, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
I'm not concerned by the variety of types of coaches, I wouldn't trust Dowling and Jenkins to decide our future path anyway, what I am hoping is that all these different managers are being asked to sell their vision for what Albion's future should look like playing wise and then the gormless decision makers will decide based who fits best on our financial model leaving the football decisions up to whomever they hire. What I am concerned about is the time it is all taking.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3244 on: June 06, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »
I don't really see the issue or why we have to only interview coaches of a select style.

At least half the squad will be different next season anyway, and regardless a good manager can mold a squad into a different style. Nothing about Leeds under Heckingbottom suggested they would be a good fit for Bielsa's style and yet it was pretty much the same squad.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3245 on: June 06, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
Had Nigel Cloughs name suggested to me today I nearly choked on my sandwich.

He was between Sol Campbell and Chris Coleman.  Interviewing all the Cs should be done by tomorrow night.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3246 on: June 06, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
He was between Sol Campbell and Chris Coleman.  Interviewing all the Cs should be done by tomorrow night.

Fantastic. With the C's done i will be interested to see what Iain Dowie has got to say for himself over the weekend then.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3247 on: June 06, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »
Heard from someone that works at the training ground that Slavan was there today.

Not sure how reliable the information is.
probably trying to sign him as a player

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3248 on: June 06, 2019, 08:30:47 PM »
Is it Weds or Thursday we will be interviewing Irvine again?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3249 on: June 06, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
Is it Weds or Thursday we will be interviewing Irvine again?
Ince and Irvine pencilled in next week, after Hughes and Hughton