Author Topic: Goalkeepers over the years  (Read 12492 times)

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

Goalkeepers over the years
« on: September 08, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »
On The Sam Johstone thread I really don't get the love in with Tony Godden,he was a decent shop stopper but he showed little command of his box particularly on crosses,and for me was the weak link in 70s team that could have won the league,one goal that Kenny Dalgleish scored against him was a joke,and not to forget he had the luxury of Wile and Roberston in front of him,Foster is easily the best keeper in my lifetime,followed by Hoult,Osbourne again very committed and brave,but not as talented as Hoult or Foster

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Goalkeepers over the years
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »
On The Sam Johstone thread I really don't get the love in with Tony Godden,he was a decent shop stopper but he showed little command of his box particularly on crosses,and for me was the weak link in 70s team that could have won the league,one goal that Kenny Dalgleish scored against him was a joke,and not to forget he had the luxury of Wile and Roberston in front of him,Foster is easily the best keeper in my lifetime,followed by Hoult,Osbourne again very committed and brave,but not as talented as Hoult or Foster
That one goal against Liverpool was a mistake he learnt from and never did it again. As i said in the Johnstone thread Osborne, Godden, Hoult then Foster.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
That one goal against Liverpool was a mistake he learnt from and never did it again. As i said in the Johnstone thread Osborne, Godden, Hoult then Foster.
I'm not old enough for Osbourne or Godden but I'd have Foster just above Hoult due to Foster's Albion career being all top flight and over a longer spell . Not much between them though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 08:21:05 PM »
Perception is everything and Godden paid heavily for that rick v Liverpool. But the stats show we only conceded 35 goals in 78-79 from 42 games. Our 7 defeats were all by one goal and none of those defeats were down to Godden.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:25:58 PM by throstle »

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 08:42:08 PM »
Perception is everything and Godden paid heavily for that rick v Liverpool. But the stats show we only conceded 35 goals in 78-79 from 42 games. Our 7 defeats were all by one goal and none of those defeats were down to Godden.

During the time I have Bern going I would put my top 3 as:

Foster
Hoult
Naylor

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:33:29 PM »
Have seen all of the keepers mentioned and Hoult gets my vote ahead of  Godden, Osbourne and Miller. For that one season he was supreme.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Since 1978:

1 Foster
2 Godden

The a gap to

3 Hoult
4 Miller

Then another gap to all the rest.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 10:07:39 PM »
Fozzie was a great.
Ozzie was a goalie of the fans.
Although I knew him, Dick Sheppard was a nightmare in goal as a back up to Ozzie.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
On The Sam Johstone thread I really don't get the love in with Tony Godden,he was a decent shop stopper but he showed little command of his box particularly on crosses,

He was told not to very early on in his career. It was decided that it worked best for us to leave the high balls for Wile and Robertson (primarily) to deal with. It worked for us.

Sometimes players are playing to instruction. They shouldn't be blamed for that.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 10:17:55 PM »
Since 1978:

1 Foster
2 Godden

The a gap to

3 Hoult
4 Miller

Then another gap to all the rest.

I wouldn’t argue with that and I’ve been a regular since 1970.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 07:13:43 AM »
Fozzie was a great.
Ozzie was a goalie of the fans.
Although I knew him, Dick Sheppard was a nightmare in goal as a back up to Ozzie.
;D I remember Dick Sheppard filled in for Ray Potter in the mid 60's. Could make absolutely stunning saves...then let one through his legs 5 minutes later!!! He was a bit of a crowd favourite when he had a run of games in those times.

Made his debut v Sunderland in 1965 and Jim Baxter took a penalty against him and said to Sheppard,before he took it "Don't F@#$%&g move".
Ray Potter deserves a mention...was steady and reliable though could also drop the odd ball or two at the wrong time.
'

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 07:47:27 AM »
In my life time the best 3 goalkeepers I have watched are

Foster
Hoult
Miller

Raymond John

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 08:30:02 AM »
Since the 40s

Best shot-stopper   Godden

Best for crosses    Hoult

Best all-round    Foster

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »
Foster
Kirkland (when fit)
Kuszcak
Johnson
Carson (before his confidence was shot)
Hoult
Kiely
Myhill
Jensen
Miller
Crighton

My list from what I can remember watching.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:36:01 AM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 08:47:11 AM »
During the time I have Bern going I would put my top 3 as:

Foster
Hoult
Naylor
Naylor was a good shot stopper, but he was a vampire (scared of crosses) and rarely came off his line!

I was quite fond of the 'Beast' Brian Jensen but he wasn't great was he!  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 08:54:36 AM »
Been going since the sixties and have seen all sorts but top 5 in no particular order
Ossie
Godden
Hoult
Foster
Kuszak
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
I would say in my opinion No1 Foster 2 Godden and 3 Hoult closely followed by Miller. Been going since the early 70's

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 10:37:13 PM »
Been going since the sixties and have seen all sorts but top 5 in no particular order
Ossie
Godden
Hoult
Foster
Kuszak

Have to agree with this but I will put them in my order

Godden
Foster
Hoult
Ossie
Kuszak
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 06:53:59 AM »
Godden? Really? Most of the older guys I talk to said he was decent but no better than that. Very much the weak link in an otherwise great team. Their words.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »
Godden? Really? Most of the older guys I talk to said he was decent but no better than that. Very much the weak link in an otherwise great team. Their words.

I’d agree with that.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »

Godden was a very good keeper with outstanding reflexes. That 78-89 team didn't have a weakness. Had it not been for the weather and an almighty fixture pile up we would have been neck and neck with probably Liverpool's best ever team for the league title.

The 1980-81 team weren't bad either finishing forth.

I wish we had that sort of weak link now.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »

He was told not to very early on in his career. It was decided that it worked best for us to leave the high balls for Wile and Robertson (primarily) to deal with. It worked for us.

Sometimes players are playing to instruction. They shouldn't be blamed for that.
I'd never heard that it was a general instruction, but looking back that makes a lot of sense, he never did come out much - he wasn't really that tall for a goalie, but he was a very good shot stopper and had great positional sense.

throstle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »
Godden holds the record for successive appearances for Albion. 228 consecutive games from August 1977 to October 1981. He was a brilliant shot stopper and an integral part of a great side.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 08:16:49 AM »
Just read about him saving 2 pens in 2 mins for Chelsea at Old Trafford in about 1988 in a swansong to his career, I don't remember that, for some reason I had kind of lost interest in football a bit in the late 80s  >:( >:(

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 11:59:05 PM »
I haven't seen them all, but I can't believe many were better than Foster. Worth 10 plus points for us per season. And he had alot of authority which helped organise the defence and gave them confidence.

Believe Osbourne was a bit of character taking time out for a quick smoke during games. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure