Off Topic > General Football & Sports

The big sports thread

(1/69) > >>

Baggies:
I toyed with the idea of making a "general sports" thread a few weeks ago as a bit of a dumping ground for those smaller events that wouldn't get their own thread (like Lee Westwood's consecutive 2nd place finishes a few weeks ago or the Irish Grand National yesterday where the winner was a 150-1 shot).

So this thread will hopefully do that.

For those that are interested, Jimmy White yet again failed last night to beat Stephen Hendry in a world championship game in what was almost certainly his last chance. He lost in what was by all accounts a deathly boring qualifier on Eurosport.

BRIAN:
Good idea. i lost money on the Grand National but took money off Wm Hill. I had 2 bets on the Chelsea match. I backed them to draw and to win. With the price at at 14-1, as they would say in the Black Country-"I woz loffin"
I still think we could survive.

ronnie_allen:

--- Quote from: Baggies on April 06, 2021, 06:50:43 AM ---For those that are interested, Jimmy White yet again failed last night to beat Stephen Hendry in a world championship game in what was almost certainly his last chance. He lost in what was by all accounts a deathly boring qualifier on Eurosport.

--- End quote ---

In fairness; Jimmy did beat Stephen Hendry in their last World Championship encounter at the Crucible. The qualifier was extremely low on quality; very scrappy but had some very tense and close frames if you were invested in it; so wouldn't necessarily call it boring. Their history bought a bit of extra tension.
Hendry making a comeback with a snooker with only pink and black left and highest break of seven; and another comeback with a clearance of 60+ needing every pot to secure the frame were probably the highlights.

Baggies:

--- Quote from: ronnie_allen on April 06, 2021, 11:09:16 AM ---In fairness; Jimmy did beat Stephen Hendry in their last World Championship encounter at the Crucible. The qualifier was extremely low on quality; very scrappy but had some very tense and close frames if you were invested in it; so wouldn't necessarily call it boring. Their history bought a bit of extra tension.
Hendry making a comeback with a snooker with only pink and black left and highest break of seven; and another comeback with a clearance of 60+ needing every pot to secure the frame were probably the highlights.

--- End quote ---

I didn't know White had a win against him at the crucible.  All of the talk pre match was of him looking to avenge his Hendry demons.

There's a funny video online of Hendry finding out about the draw a few weeks back while doing punditry (I think with Hazel Irvine maybe?).

LiamTheBaggie:
Rachael Blackmore surely has to win SPOTY.

A grand national winner yesterday.

Paddy power gave me boosted odds of 11/1 - a nice way to end a horrible week. I have many a memory of placing grandads 50p each way bets after reading out the entirety of the card. The Grand national was always a special family occasion until I was old enough to get my season ticket.  I am sure he was guiding  Minella Times home last night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version