Author Topic: VAR  (Read 42218 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: VAR
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Sorry the decisions were right. The way that they were implemented was clunky. The authorities want the ref on the field to be the final arbitrator but the VAR alerts the ref to incidents that he might have missed. The VAR ref has a better chance of seeing something it is crazy to pretend otherwise. For the ref to go to the side of the pitch to review the video adds nothing but obviously prolongs the process.
I stand corrected
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »
VAR should be used to overturn ‘howler’ decisions by the ref. Allowing the Dawson goal would not have been a howler. Not giving a penalty for the Salah dive would not have been a howler. In cricket, LBW decisions often stand by the umpire’s call, where less than half the ball is hitting the stumps. Last night, there is no way that the contact on Salah was enough to put him down, he dived, also, just because there was contact, does not mean that a foul was committed, it is a contact sport; the ref’s decision was a reasonable one in not originally awarding a penalty. So, for me, there is no way that a penalty should have been awarded. As for the Dawson ‘goal’, also not a ‘howler’ and given that it was looked at on review, we should have had a penalty. So was VAR a success? No, it wasn’t. It is also wrong that the system is used for some games and not others, all or none, and if for all, then only to eliminate howlers.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
Can't agree with the penalty decision blatant dive.
Looks like the video ref tried his best to stitch us up.
Gave them a shabby pen
Disallowed a goal
Tried to rule out the 3rd goal
I can see the top teams getting it banned if it means refs can't be influenced by the big teams in the heat of the moment.
Danny Murphy on motd saying it disrupted Liverpools rhythm when it was Albion who scored 4 1st half goals.
Laughable and so I did 😂

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2018, 11:52:19 AM »
Well you only have to look at the Chelsea game the other day to see how it does not help reach the right decisions. Chelsea should have had a pen in the second half but even after review they said he dived, when there was clear contact.

With last night, it was much the same. Salah is a top player but to go down that easy to win a pen is just scandalous. But then again, that's Liverpool. And my issue with it is if you give a pen for that, then we'll start having 15 pens a game, as football is a contact sport. Take the contact out and you have basketball.

Dawson's goal should have stood. Again, yes there was contact but the player underneath ducks down. Years ago goal keepers used to get proper challenges but that's been taken out of the game. Now, contact in all other areas of the pitch are being taken away.

You see players jostling at corners, are we going to start seeing a rise in pens from corners due to this? A player goes down in the box, are players now going to demand var when they disagree with the decision? Var is going to cause WAY more trouble than prevent it.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »
I still think the Dawson goal should have stood personally nothing wrong with it at all

Not a fan of VAR if I’m honest
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
Sorry but it wasn't a penalty. Livermore barely touched him for all of 1 second, if one of our players did that then it's pathetic. If ever you've done something like Judo or wrestling then humans don't fall down like that with such ease, it's absolute nonsense but part of the modern game - doesn't make it right and if one of ours dived like that then I'd be embarrassed.

If Mo Salah was at the cash point and I brushed his arm would he collapse to floor and surrender his wallet? I thought it was very poor decision and if you give that you might as well do with corners / free kicks outside the box altogether - just give a penalty in advance.

VAR also destroys the rhythm of the match and I know it is very unpopular in Germany, where they've had it for a while. I would much rather we just kept it as it is and accept that on occasion refs will make howlers (part of the joy of football is moaning about officials after all).

On the subject of rules, does anyone else think they should revert back to the old offside rule? Far simpler, far less 'subjective'.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
if we are going to use var for incidents such as the penalty then you could call it into action on almost every corner in every match where pulling and pushing goes on. it was quite pathetic that it was used on the disallowed Dawson goal,it really did spoil what was a thrilling end to end football match.How did they get 4 minutes of added time on the second half after we had only had 5 in the first half with all that var going on?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
The posters on here moaning about the penalty need a realty check. Livermore dragged Saleh down, that he exaggerated his fall to get the refs attention matters not. The only problem with VAR last night was how slow the officials were to review the footage. It’s used every game in Seria A and works well. The officials need to get their act together. As soon as the VAR ref says it looks like Saleh was dragged down the ref should be straight across to the TV screen to review. Instead we had a bizarre 2-3 minutes before that even happened. System is progress, UK refs just need to be a bit quicker. It will help cut out injustices. Remember that dive against us at Chelsea in injury time under Clarke? Couldn’t happen with VAR.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »
I was open minded about it before last night, but now I'm probably against it.

If it must exist then there should just be one appeal per team per half, overall I would rather accept the odd referee mistake.
Baggie in Southampton

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 12:08:35 PM »
The posters on here moaning about the penalty need a realty check. Livermore dragged Saleh down, that he exaggerated his fall to get the refs attention matters not. The only problem with VAR last night was how slow the officials were to review the footage. It’s used every game in Seria A and works well. The officials need to get their act together. As soon as the VAR ref says it looks like Saleh was dragged down the ref should be straight across to the TV screen to review. Instead we had a bizarre 2-3 minutes before that even happened. System is progress, UK refs just need to be a bit quicker. It will help cut out injustices. Remember that dive against us at Chelsea in injury time under Clarke? Couldn’t happen with VAR.

He wasn't 'dragged down'. It was a blatant, comically cynical dive. Do you really think that would have been given down the other end? Anyway, justice was done  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:16:04 PM by Black Country Pride »

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 12:12:52 PM »
Scrap it right away. Football is a sport played by humans, watched by humans and refereed by humans. We all make mistakes, it's part of life. If we've managed nearly 160 of the game without this we can damn well do without it now. If this is continued we will just see the higher profile players and clubs using this to manipulate the on-field ref in an attempt to get their own way and my guess is that they will. the video clears nothing up anyway, it's still comes down to opinion whether it's the opinion of a ref on the pitch or the opinion of a ref in the studio surrounded by technology. The foul on Salah was no more or less of a foul than the one on Morata during the Chelsea v Norwich game. Both involved a hand/arm on shirt/body. One's given, one isn't. Salah went down like a sack of s**t when he realised the ball was sailing well over the top of his head and that he had no chance of reaching it. VAR solves nothing. The lack of transparency is also ridiculous, we had no idea in the ground of what the f**k was going on. It comes to something when I'm there in the ground and have had to text my mate sat at home to find out why Dawson's goal was disallowed.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »
"Dragged down?"  :o

No way was Salah dragged down. Yes Livermore pulled him but not with any force. Salah flung himself to the ground.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:17:56 PM by Atomic »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »
the ref was weak last night and looked like a rabbit caught up in the head lights, that is problem with vars going forward. Before vars refs decision was final even ricketts, with vars refs decision isnt final so thy have lost most of their powers on the pitch.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
Should have 2 challenges each team per game.

Difficult to have screen replays as not all grounds have them, even a ground the size of Anfield will struggle as I have no idea where they’d put them.

The concept is right; imagine if we went down t a Frank Lampard 2010 style decision, but this format doesn’t work.

that is what Hawkeye is for, and that worked as intended almost immediately.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
"Dragged down?"  :o

No way was Salah dragged down. Yes Livermore pulled him but not with any force. Salah flung himself to the ground.

I suspect you would have a different opinion if the same incident happened to an Albion player in the Liverpool box. You acknowledge Livermore pulled him, which isn’t legal and is stupid. Every neutral journalist and pundit has said all three VAR decisions were correct. I agree with them. It’s understandable to support your own team but fans need to look past their own bias.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
I suspect you would have a different opinion if the same incident happened to an Albion player in the Liverpool box. You acknowledge Livermore pulled him, which isn’t legal and is stupid. Every neutral journalist and pundit has said all three VAR decisions were correct. I agree with them. It’s understandable to support your own team but fans need to look past their own bias.

If you read my posts you will see I have always said the decision was correct it was a penalty.

I just object to your definition of "dragged down", he wasn't he was pulled nowhere near enough to go down like he did but yes it was a foul.

baggieboyfred

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 12:52:43 PM »
overall I think its a good thing , I think it got all the decisions right eventually, but it needs to be much quicker and it needs to be shown on the stadium screens during the review so that the crowd can see  whats going on ,last night it went liverpools way twice , on another day it will go ours

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »
The only clubs it will suit long term are the top six who through the use of initimidation will get it used to their advantage against clubs like ours who are supposed to turn up and accept defeat .

In truth we are extras in the pantomime last night the coverage from that awful channel was so poor they were willing Liverpool on . 

If the Livermore incident was a Liverpool player doing that against us it wouldn't have even been flagged up .

I've watched football for 30 years but there was something fundamentally wrong with that last night I really don't want to see it whoever is playing.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 01:55:03 PM »
Personally, I think it shows that refs get most decisions right. I'm of the view, that you get the rub of the green over the season.

Do the advantages of var outweigh the disadvantages? IMO no, I'd keep the goal line technology, but kick the incident reviews into touch.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
Can't agree with the penalty decision blatant dive.
Looks like the video ref tried his best to stitch us up.
Gave them a shabby pen
Disallowed a goal
Tried to rule out the 3rd goal
I can see the top teams getting it banned if it means refs can't be influenced by the big teams in the heat of the moment.
Danny Murphy on motd saying it disrupted Liverpools rhythm when it was Albion who scored 4 1st half goals.
Laughable and so I did 😂
this is my view on it. The contact is so minimal for the pen it’s just not enough to send him down. I work with a Liverpool season ticket holder and even thought the Dawson goal and the penalty were harsh decisions
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
By the letter of the law Livermore fouled Salah. HOWEVER how often is such contact seen in the penalty box? Salah was theatrical and made it look like he'd been shot but Livermore should never have hold of his shirt.

In all it was a farcical use of the new technology.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
Its obviously going to stay, there are teething problems right now but its here to stay whether we like it or not.

My issue is the consistency, the decisions last night were proved correct, no problem with that but they set a precedent, like i said in another post, every player who is grabbed now it has to be a foul whether inside or outside the box, thats the rules.

Livermore barely touched Salah but ultimately he did, therefore that type of decision has to be made all over the pitch, the problem is had it been in front of the kop in Albions favour, i dont think for a second it would of been given.

The final decision falls on the ref, they are going to be under more scrutiny than ever, once VAR is in then the next time an Albion player is touched (no matter how slight) in the box and goes down then based on last night, a penalty has to be given, no ifs, no buts, its a penalty, no room for human opinion and the same if an opposition player does too, there is no human contact allowed which is a shame as thats football.

The opinion seems to be thats the official rules and they have to be stuck too, we will be looking at 5-10 penalties a game as soon as a setpiece comes in, any player trying to block someone off, shirt pulling, etc it now has to be a penalty based on last night, common sense goes out the window.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 03:39:29 PM »
The only clubs it will suit long term are the top six who through the use of initimidation will get it used to their advantage against clubs like ours who are supposed to turn up and accept defeat .

Sorry this is utter nonsense. Under VAR goals that are offside will not be allowed and penalty decisions will be reviewed which will cut out a lot of the diving. Not sure how you seriously think that helps the top six. What it does do is result in more of a level playing field. So quite the opposite.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »
Sorry this is utter nonsense. Under VAR goals that are offside will not be allowed and penalty decisions will be reviewed which will cut out a lot of the diving. Not sure how you seriously think that helps the top six. What it does do is result in more of a level playing field. So quite the opposite.

Agreed, it just happened to help one of the top 6 yesterday, though not enough... Let's take heart, if that had been a League or non televised Cup game we'd have been 4-1 up at Anfield at half-time!!!  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
Penalty decisions and diving are going to be the really contentious ones....there are some cases where you can look at replays for a week and you won't know if there was actual contact. (in the absence of perfect accurate 3d replays...maybe with the equivalent of hot spot and snicko from the cricket) ::)

Was there contact ?
Did he dive...yes but was there contact ?
Was he diving to avoid getting clattered by a wild challenge ?
The defender dives in misses the ball but attacker has to jump over him and the chance is gone - penalty ?

All possibilities for long VAR delays...there will be some interesting cases and reactions for sure.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill